[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Top 30 selling Motown singles in UK

For anyone in the US who is interested here is a list of the top selling 30 Motown records in the UK as at the end of 2008 compiled by the Official Charts Company of the UK.

Position / Title / Artist / Year First Charted

1. I Just Called To Say I Love You - Stevie Wonder [[1984) 1,800,000
    2. Hello - Lionel Richie [[1984) 840,000
    3. One Day In Your Life - Michael Jackson [[1981) 800,000
    4. Three Times A Lady - The Commodores [[1978) 750,000? *
    5. Being With You - Smokey Robinson [[1981) 640,000
    6. All Night Long [[All Night) - Lionel Richie [[1983) 620,000
    7. I Heard It Through The Grapevine - Marvin Gaye [[1969) 500,000+ *
    8. Baby Love - The Supremes [[1964) 500,000
    9. I Want You Back - The Jackson 5 [[1970) 490,000
    10. Happy Birthday - Stevie Wonder [[1981) 485,000
    11. Upside Down - Diana Ross [[1980) 480,000
    12. End Of The Road - Boyz II Men [[1992) 480,000
    13. Master Blaster [[Jammin’) - Stevie Wonder [[1980) 465,000
    14. The Tears Of A Clown - Smokey Robinson and the Miracles [[1970) 460,000
    15. Reach Out I’ll Be There - Four Tops [[1966) 460,000
    16. What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted - Jimmy Ruffin [[1966) 440,000
    17. Under The Boardwalk - Bruce Willis [[1987) 430,000
    18. I’m Still Waiting - Diana Ross [[1971) 420,000
    19. Lately - Stevie Wonder [[1981) 380,000
    20. Sir Duke - Stevie Wonder [[1977) 375,000
    21. Part-Time Lover - Stevie Wonder [[1985) 370,000
    22. Where Did Our Love Go - The Supremes [[1964) 370,000
    23. I’ll Be There - The Jackson 5 [[1970) 365,000
    24. I’ve Never Been To Me – Charlene [[1982) 360,000
    25. Nightshift - The Commodores [[1985) 360,000
    26. Yester-Me, Yester-You, Yesterday - Stevie Wonder [[1969) 355,000
    27. Stoned Love - The Supremes [[1971) 355,000
    28. With You I’m Born Again - Billy Preston and Syreeta [[1979) 350,000
    29. Indiana Wants Me - R. Dean Taylor [[1971) 345,000
    30. Easy - The Commodores [[1977) 340,000

Stevie Wonder is currently estimated at 1,818,000. Amazing that it has sold almost 1m more than the #2 record.

Diana Ross' biggest seller in the UK is Chain Reaction with sales of 725k - but that is from her RCA days [[released on Capitol in the UK).

Sales estimates are courtesy of SimonW of Havenforum.co.uk.

It is possible to get pretty accurate figures of UK sales based on year-end charts etc and official sales-to-date on many records given from time to time e.g. Reach Out I'll Be There by the Four Tops was confirmed as having sold 470k to week ending 04 April 2010.

The figures estimated above are accurate to within 20k with the exception of #s 4 and 7 for which definite information is difficult to find.

RossHolloway Guest
    Three interesting singles. Bruce Willis? Really?? lol. And #10. Happy Birthday by Stevie Wonder and #3 One Day In Your life. Very interesting.

Interesting is right, guess Stevie rules.......moreso not some of his best material........

Florence

That's a lot of hard work and I found it very interesting - and I'm from the UK.

Thank you for posting

Excellent Florence.

We need members like you.

Very interesting, esp. that Stevie and his "pablum" song sell a million more than anything else. You need to appeal to the masses, not the fans; just like a politician.

Stevie looks very popular over there.

A lot of these songs are the worst Motown songs. And Diana's best seller is an RCA song!

I find it interesting that there are so few from the 60s era.

Eamonn

STRANGELY interesting! Thank you Florence!

9. I Want You Back - The Jackson 5 [[1970) 490,000 it sold that much in just Ohio and Michigan alone LOL!. Why is it listed as 1970? Was it released in the U.K. after it's 1969 release here?

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 8943
Size:  21.1 KB
    Frank Wilson's "Do I Love You [[Indeed I Do)" didn't make the cut, eh?

I'm sure that many of our fan favorites sold like about 4 copies. And some of the songs on that list are amongst my least favorite Motown songs ~ how could Hello be #2? And I've been Baby Loved and Grapevined to death ~ I wish it could have been Glady's version that made it. And Bruce and Charlene! Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    9. I Want You Back - The Jackson 5 [[1970) 490,000 it sold that much in just Ohio and Michigan alone LOL!. Why is it listed as 1970? Was it released in the U.K. after it's 1969 release here?
    'I Want You Back' was released in the UK in Jan '70.

Here is the strangest thing I find with this list and that is the Temptations are not even on it! Not even with "My Girl".

I always heard that the Four Tops were extremely popular in the U.K., but they have just one entry?

Here is the strangest thing I find with this list and that is the Temptations are not even on it! Not even with "My Girl".

I thought that was odd too, but thats just me a crazed Tempt fan......among others.....Oh yeah Marv, I never thought about My Girl making the list but I was dam sure surprised that none of the Whitfield penned tunes like Cloud Nine, Rolling Stone, etc didn't crack this list.

The Temptations were not as popular in the UK. 'My Girl' only reached #43 in '65 but went all the way to #2 when it re-issued in '92. They had 11 Top 20 hits only 4 of which went Top 10.

The Four Tops had 16 Top 20 hits 11 of which made the Top 10.

The Supremes/DRATS had 12 Top 20 hits but only 6 making the Top 10. The Supremes with Jean Terrell had 5 Top 10 hits.

This site is the one that I use all the time to check on UK charts. http://www.chartstats.com/index.php

With all of her other blockbusters [[Mahogany, Touch Me) I am suprised to see Diana's "I'm Still Waiting" on the list. Just goes to show what different tastes we have across "the pond". I guess I am shocked to see "Stoned Love" as well. I didn't realize it was that big of a hit.

The Temptations were not as popular in the UK. 'My Girl' only reached #43 in '65 but went all the way to #2 when it re-issued in '92. They had 11 Top 20 hits only 4 of which went Top 10.

Cool, in the way we can discuss the different perceptions, but I never realized this album never charted, but it certainly had impact my perceptions of their popularity. This album is coming up on its 41st anniversary.

Name:  Tempts-londons-talk.jpg
Views: 9294
Size:  57.8 KB

Plus heres something else I found............wow !
    http://www.billboard.com/album/the-t...05255162.story

Florence, thanks for this. Very interesting. Let's start a thing here...Robb, do you have any clue for the sales figures in the Netherlands [[a little water away from the UK?). And let's broaden the question....Who was responsible for the Motown UK releases? In the Netherlands we had our Pete Felleman who drifted his own course.

And who represented Motown Italy? Germany? Would love to see some international replies here.

Gordon Frewin was the manager at Motown in the 70's and through to the 90's

Thanks for this. How independent could he be? Did you know him?

The Temptations have been many places during the Motown group's 50-or-so years together. Now Broadway beckons.

Otis Williams, the Tempts' leader and sole surviving founding member, tells Billboard.com that the group is working with Broadway producer Ira Pittleman on a stage musical based on the 1998 NBC mini-series about the group's history. "It's still so popular and loved," Williams says. "I get calls all the time, like, 'Man, the mini-series is on!' and stuff like that. That's the catalyst, and [[Pittleman) is waiting to do the Tempts story. I never would have imagined the possibilities of the Tempts life story going to Broadway, but it's wonderful."

However, Williams says the group plans to wait until Motown founder Berry Gordy, Jr., gets his own Broadway musical, which is reportedly slated to open in April of 2012, on the boards. "Then, after that, the Temptations will get into action. They haven't even started writing the script, so it's really early," says Williams, who will serve as an executive producer.

28 Black Music Milestones: Berry Gordy Starts Motown

Williams says he and the Temptations camp have no involvement in the Gordy Motown musical, however. "That is all under Mr. Gordy's control" Williams notes. "I definitely will be going to see it. I think we're in it two or three different times, guys portraying the Temptations, and I'm very happy for Mr. Gordy because he's had such an illustrious career that should be magnified as much as possible because he's been a wonderful inspiration to the lot of us."

While the Temptations' musical will recall the group's glory years, Williams and company hope to be adding to the story by the time it opens. After rolling out a new album, "Still Here," in 2010, Williams says the group -- which this year celebrations the 50th anniversary of its name change from the Elgins to the Temptations -- is starting to eyeball its successor.

"Yeah, we will be doing another CD in [[2012)," Williams promises. "We'd like for there to be some new music by the time the Broadway musical opens. We'll start putting that together a little later during this year, or the beginning of next year."

Views: 8897
    Quote Originally Posted by 1382hitsville View Post
    Florence, thanks for this. Very interesting. Let's start a thing here...Robb, do you have any clue for the sales figures in the Netherlands [[a little water away from the UK?). And let's broaden the question....Who was responsible for the Motown UK releases? In the Netherlands we had our Pete Felleman who drifted his own course.

And who represented Motown Italy? Germany? Would love to see some international replies here.
    I don't have any idea of Motown record sales in The Netherlands [[or anywhere else, for that matter). But I'm sure that Robbert does. He worked for Motown in The Netherlands during the time of their biggest popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post

The Four Tops had 16 Top 20 hits 11 of which made the Top 10.

The Supremes/DRATS had 12 Top 20 hits but only 6 making the Top 10. The Supremes with Jean Terrell had 5 Top 10 hits.

This site is the one that I use all the time to check on UK charts. http://www.chartstats.com/index.php
    There were 42 records better and more popular than "My Girl" in 1965 in England?

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 8897

I don't have any idea of Motown record sales in The Netherlands [[or anywhere else, for that matter). But I'm sure that Robbert does. He worked for Motown in The Netherlands during the time of their biggest popularity.
    I found a website for the Canadian Charts for 25-30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 1382hitsville View Post
    Thanks for this. How independent could he be? Did you know him?
    Gordon was a very knowledgeable about Motown, and being there for so long, you would expect it. He was there for the original release for many of those later re-issue programs,. He will explain why, for example, the UK didn't get the US version of "War". He was there and making decisions. If he wrote a book, it would be a fascinating reading, much like one from Pete Felleman would have been.

And yes I do know Gordon.

Robbert's input would be interesting as well.

I wish we could have someone like Barney Ales or Esther Edwards talk about USA Sales because this is the best discussion we've had on this.

What about Stalebagel as well?? I wonder what he knows......or his relatives.

What were race relations like between black and white? Also, what kind of presence did "black" people have on the charts in the UK in the 60's?

From where I lived in London, skin colour was not an issue. Sure there was rivalry between gangs and other unpleasantness happening in other parts of the country but I was never confronted with it. In fact, I was only really aware that it was an issue in the States from the historical information in the music press in the bios of my favourite Motown artists. Then my biggest recollection is the Olympic Games and the salute. I recall lots of explanation in the UK press at that time about what was happening in America.

The UK charts in the 60's were reknown for having a varied selection of music from the very young to the very old. We locomotioned with Little Eva, twisted with Chubby Cjhecker, tried to learn French with Sister Sourire and hummed [[!!) to Japanese Kyu Sakomato. We had a cross section of artists from all over the world

There were 42 records better and more popular than "My Girl" in 1965 in England?
    Promotion of Motown & it's artists was still very poor in early '65. 'My Girl' was actually released on Stateside. The 1st Tamla Motown UK single was 'Stop! In The Name Of Love' in March '65. BTW please say the UK and not just England. The chart for 20/03/65 when 'My Girl' entered at #43 for one week has only 3 soul/blues records. 35 of the top 50 records are British! http://www.chartstats.com/chart.php?week=19650320

If you look at the chart for 7/11/64 you will see that the Supremes were in the top 10 with both 'Baby Love' & 'Where Did Our Love Go' http://www.chartstats.com/chart.php?week=19641107
    Last edited by copley; 06-29-2011 at 08:25 PM.

Views: 8858
    Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    From where I lived in London, skin colour was not an issue. Sure there was rivalry between gangs and other unpleasantness happening in other parts of the country but I was never confronted with it. In fact, I was only really aware that it was an issue in the States from the historical information in the music press in the bios of my favourite Motown artists. Then my biggest recollection is the Olympic Games and the salute. I recall lots of explanation in the UK press at that time about what was happening in America.

The UK charts in the 60's were reknown for having a varied selection of music from the very young to the very old. We locomotioned with Little Eva, twisted with Chubby Cjhecker, tried to learn French with Sister Sourire and hummed [[!!) to Japanese Kyu Sakomato. We had a cross section of artists from all over the world.
    It was pretty much that way in The Netherlands, as well. And in Germany and Denmark, too.

Views: 8841
    I found a website for the Canadian Charts for 25-30 years.
    I've got a pretty decent idea of how records charted in USA and Canada. But getting actual sales Dollar figures or even number of records sold is quite another thing.

OTIS REDDING had a big hit in Britain with his version of "My Girl" at the end of 1965 .. with his version reaching #11.

http://www.chartstats.com/release.php?release=3974

Roger

It is quite amazing how so often the US and UK diverged on Diana's records, in particular Chain Reaction.

Mirror Mirror which followed Fools into the US top 10 just got a foothold on the bottom of the UK top 40 but then the reverse happened with Work That Body which shot into the top 10.

Even more amazing given the popularity of Diana in the UK in the 70s is the fact that Do You Know Where You're Going To? flopped completely when initially released in October 1976. It was already on its way to #1 in the US but failed to even make the breakers in the UK chart. Just over five months later Diana came to do a tour and 'm not sure whether the record was officially re-released or just re-promoted but it stormed into the top 5.

The story behind I'm Still Waiting in the UK is interesting. The situation at Radio in the UK is totally different to the US and was even more so in the 1970s. Although there were some smaller music stations it was the National BBC ones which covered the whole of the country and got massive listening figures so if you got on their playlist a hit was almost 100% guaranteed.

The Breakfast Show on Radio 1 got the biggest listening figures and was therefore the most influential. The DJ at the time, Tony Blackburn was a massive Diana fan and fell in love with I'm Still Waiting from the Everything Is Everything album and started to play it. He told Motown that if they would release it as a single he would make it his "Record Of The Week" which was the most influential plug any record could get in the UK at the time.

They did, he did - and the rest is history. It immediately became the biggest selling record on the Motown label in the UK to date. [[It didn't outsell Baby Love but this was on the basis that it was released on Stateside - Motown only got its own label from 1965.)

On the back of this Motown then plucked Doobedood'ndoobe [[also written by Deke Richards) from the album and it made it to #12.

Florence

Deke Richards has posted on this forum. You might want to look up in the old archives for his postings because I am sure you will find them interesting.

He talks about I'm Still Waiting and Doobedoo'ndoobe and the help from Tony. Deke also did a series of posts on "Love Child" - straight from the horses's mouth, so to speak. It might even be a good idea to put up the link for others who may not have seen them.

In 1964 and 1965 terms, Baby Love and Where Did Our Love Go were huge sellers.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    Even more amazing given the popularity of Diana in the UK in the 70s is the fact that Do You Know Where You're Going To? flopped completely when initially released in October 1976. It was already on its way to #1 in the US but failed to even make the breakers in the UK chart. Just over five months later Diana came to do a tour and I'm not sure whether the record was officially re-released or just re-promoted but it stormed into the top 5.
    Hi Florence, I think you meant Oct 1975. It was not re-issued just re-promoted in 1976 as it's only listed once with the cat no TMG1010. You know I'm not even sure that I remember it being in limbo for about 5 mths. That now explains why both it and 'Love Hangover' were in the top 20 at the same time!

good to see Indiana Wants me up There.....
    Stephanie

I expect introducing Motown covers into the Top 10 would also produce some surprises? Bananarama's covers, already mentioned Otis Redding, Donnie Elbert [[perhaps not), Carpenters, Mick & David, Rod, others [[there had to be a catch all). Actually, there were some tasty covers that never went anywhere - e.g. from Lulu, Fourmost, Truly Smith, Small Faces etc.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Florence

Deke Richards has posted on this forum. You might want to look up in the old archives for his postings because I am sure you will find them interesting.

He talks about I'm Still Waiting and Doobedoo'ndoobe and the help from Tony. Deke also did a series of posts on "Love Child" - straight from the horses's mouth, so to speak. It might even be a good idea to put up the link for others who may not have seen them.
    Thanks for the heads-up, tbfxt.

I searched the archives and under this link found a lot of the posts by Deke:

http://www.google.com/custom?hl=en&c...fuldetroit.com

The first three links on this page have a ton of info. and will make great reading.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Hi Florence, I think you meant Oct 1975. It was not re-issued just re-promoted in 1976 as it's only listed once with the cat no TMG1010. You know I'm not even sure that I remember it being in limbo for about 5 mths. That now explains why both it and 'Love Hangover' were in the top 20 at the same time!
    Opps, my bad. Of course it was Oct 1975.

I can remember rushing out to get my copy of Record Mirror the week after release to see where Diana had charted and was stunned that there was no sign of it. Only I had purchased my copy I would have sworn it hadn't actually been released.

It really is a complete mystery why it flopped then.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    I expect introducing Motown covers into the Top 10 would also produce some surprises? Bananarama's covers, already mentioned Otis Redding, Donnie Elbert [[perhaps not), Carpenters, Mick & David, Rod, others [[there had to be a catch all). Actually, there were some tasty covers that never went anywhere - e.g. from Lulu, Fourmost, Truly Smith, Small Faces etc.
    Phil Collins covered The Supremes "You Can't Hurry Love" in the UK in 1982 and should have been charged with murder for his destruction of the inspirational and spiritually uplifting original.

Although the song was the girls' third biggest selling single [[from the Diana days) in the UK reaching #3 with sales of around 250,000 it was a real insult when the British public put Collins' version to #1!

as far as the UK is concerned, the Jean Supremes had just as many real hits as the Ross Supremes;
    how do ya like them apples?

Everyone knows that the Four Tops ruled England- infact thier greatest Hits album was the longest number one records for years- I believe it was number one for 20 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by tmd View Post
    Everyone knows that the Four Tops ruled England- infact thier greatest Hits album was the longest number one records for years- I believe it was number one for 20 weeks.
    It was actually only #1 in the UK for one week!

I actually meant that it was their EP that spent 22 weeks at number 1- one week short of the all time record. Their greatest hit album had the distinction of replacing Sgt. Pepper as the number one album in England. No surprise since everyone from the Beatles on down were big time fans.

I left school at 16 in England in July '63 so my record buying days spanned the early [[best) Motown years. In and around where I grew up there were few soul fans on the ground. The Mersey sound dominated the charts and the country's consciousness, the vast majority of people had no idea of the great music coming out of the U S. For me, 1965 was the best music year with a continuous stream of classics. In the U K at one point in '65 there was no U S record in the Top 10 and few in the Top 40, and to answer an earlier point, no there were not 42 records better than 'My Girl', people were not given the chance to listen to it.
    It was like a time of being in a wilderness of mediocrity when listening to the radio, to hear the best stuff the pirate stations were the only place, they obtained new U S records to play a week or two after U S release, it could be up to 2 months before a record was released over here.
    A fascinating thread, the '60's were a very frustrating time for being a Motown/soul fan in the U K. Airplay and acceptance were minimal

alcestermotown

Sounds like you're just about 3 years older than me....

Yes, the pirate stations were a good place to hear what was coming out of the US...but don't forget Ready Steady Go! and other TV programmes [[seem to remember one called Five o'clock Club...? with Muriel Young? Was that the correct title?) who featured visiting US acts.

I got a lot of info about what was happening on the US charts just by reading them in the music papers....who ran regular articles on Tamla-Motown artists. many who were just names on a roster. Think Record Mirror was particularly good with UK and US top 50's, and 'bubbling under' discs, which invariably included some Motown ones. Penny Valentine in the Disc [[& Music Echo) would rave about UK Motown releases.

There was a late Sunday afternoon programme on BBC radio for a while [[DJ was Chris Denning?) which featured recent releases from US, and Pat Campbell's programme later in one weekday evening on Radio Luxembourg was good at playing the current US hits.

The music papers would usually print what was being released in UK in any given week, and so I'd listen out for the ones that had caught my imagination by reading about them in advance. For instance, the minute I saw the US chart and read' Heat Wave- Martha & The Vandellas', I thought what a fabulous and glamorous name and title...and it went from there.....

Half the fun and joy of the Motown releases in the UK for me was in the anticipation.....and they rarely disappointed...

Many of the Motown UK releases that entered the charts would have been even bigger if the acts had been able to come over as they peaked, and promote them on a couple of shows, including Top Of The Pops.

The Supremes 'You Can't Hurry Love' whistled up the charts, but I don't think the ladies visited to promote it. It still got to number 3 [[?), but very likely could have been another number 1 for them. Of course, the US market was much bigger, so they had to address that, and I expect that acts like The Supremes were pre-booked to appear elsewhere, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    ... And I've been Baby Loved and Grapevined to death ....
    ...I want this on record ...I NEVER TOUCHED YOU!!!!!!

Ooooooppppppppps........

We need to except "Grapevine" and also, Gladys Knight from my comment.

Marvin's Grapevine, while good, I can definitely do without any more of. I like the first 5 seconds and I also like the first "ooh" in Baby Love. Beyond that, I've had enough of them.

Excellent post wgb, metaphorically, it seems we walked the same streets. Yes, Ready Steady Go did help, and the Record Mirror was the best of the music papers by a long way.
    The best on pirate radio was the Jake Spector Show, I think a tape flown over from the States and there was a soul show 8 till 9 on a Monday night on the Dutch pirate station, Radio Veronica. It was a must to listen to these.
    Also, your point about Heat Wave were my feelings too. Good God Y'All, nearly 50 years ago.

alcestermotown

Thank you and yes, it hits further home to remember that Martha is 70 next Monday....