[REMOVE ADS]

Nina Simone Quitting the US in 1970

Been searching out info on Nina Simone & her exploits in the late 60's / early 70's as she was very popular in the UK at that time.
    She toured here in 67 doing small soul clubs [[& some jazz venues). But then "Ain't Got No" was a big pop chart hit here in fall 68. She came to the UK to promote the 45 [[doing an in-person appearance @ Soul City record shop for her fans) and to do a Top of the Pops TV show. She had 2 more pop chart hits early in 69 and so returned to the UK for a tour of bigger venues [[March 69).
    At the time she was backed up on live shows by her quartet [[in all but name, the Weldon Irvine group) + backing singers [[one of whom was Doris Willingham / Doris Duke) and acts signed to Ninandy Records [[her brother Sam Waymon plus -- on a 2nd tour later in 69 -- the Swordsmen).
    At the time her marriage to her abusive husband [[Andy Stroud) was breaking down, so her personal life was in crisis. Stroud was also her manager / booker and ran their record label, so her business affairs must have been complicated.
    ALSO, after seeing how black people were still treated in the US and how they were being sent in high numbers to Viet Nam to die, she adopted a high profile Civil Rights stance & anti-war stance. This made her unpopular with the US government, the FBI and many everyday Americans. I think RCA got a bit scared of her being signed to the label -- she'd had a big hit for them with "Young, Gifted & Black" [[written by Weldon Irvine). So her record biz life was also getting quite complicated.
    So she packed a bag & moved to Barbados [[where she started an affair with the head of state there). She did cut tracks that RCA released on an album in 71 but Stroud was no longer involved with them & her contribution [[if not already in the can) was added from abroad.
    After a spell in the Caribbean, she moved to Africa [[Liberia) & then Europe [[France. etc) and never lived in the US [[for any length of time) again.
    . . . Other creative types & black entertainers also left the US around that same time period [[for tax or discrimination / oppression reasons).
    It seems a sad reflection on the US at that time that singers of her stature [[& similar) seemed to be driven out of the US without anyone really seeming to care.Attachment 20720

One of her big November 69 UK shows ...
    BTW, from the above show review, anyone have any idea who Gina Rothschild was [[hopefully the reporter hadn't misheard her name like he had with Doris Willingham).
    Attachment 20721

The Cleveland duo who came to the UK with Nina Simone ... the Swordsmen ..
    Attachment 20722

Doris Duke can be seen in this video. Perhaps the other young lady is Gina Rothschild?

Doris Duke is just enjoying a re-released old record in the UK ...
    Name:  DorisDukeReissue.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  37.5 KB

Summer 69; HARLEM -- Nina Simone was a part of this big show ...
    So was Stevie Wonder, Gladys Knight, David Ruffin, Sly & Family Stone & many more ...
    Last edited by jsmith; 06-11-2023 at 02:20 PM.

A performance by Nina Simone that was loved by blacks but not by that many white folk ... the SUMMER OF LOVE festival [[Harlem; summer 69) ...

Anyone know if Doris Willingham / Doris Duke [[on the left) was backing up Nina Simone on her SUMMER OF SOUL festival performance ?
    Name:  DorisWillingham&Gina.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  46.1 KB
    Last edited by jsmith; 06-12-2023 at 03:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    Anyone know if Doris Willingham / Doris Duke [[on the left) was backing up Nina Simone on her SUMMER OF SOUL festival performance ?
    Name:  DorisWillingham&Gina.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  46.1 KB
    Nina's male musicians [one of whom was her brother] did the backing vocals during the Summer of Soul performance.
    Last edited by reese; 06-12-2023 at 08:34 AM.

I liked Nina Simone, but she only had 2 real hit records "I Loves You, Porgy" in 1959 which made #2 on the R & B Charts & #18 on the Hot 100 & then "Young Gifted & Black" which made #8 on the SOUL Charts & #76 on the Hot 100 in 1969.

Motony, she had 3 UK pop chart big hits in just a 3 month period [[from Oct 68).
    She also had an earlier UK pop chart hit in summer 65 and another massive UK top 10 hit in 1987 [[#5). The 1987 hit also charted in Australia, Belgium [[#2), Finland , France, Holland [[#1), Switzerland, Germany & Austria.
    As she never lived in the US after 1970, I guess that's why she was largely ignored there.
    All over Europe, she was a big celeb right up to her death & played gigs all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    Motony, she had 3 UK pop chart big hits in just a 3 month period [[from Oct 68).
    She also had an earlier UK pop chart hit in summer 65 and another massive UK top 10 hit in 1987 [[#5). The 1987 hit also charted in Australia, Belgium [[#2), Finland , France, Holland [[#1), Switzerland, Germany & Austria.
    As she never lived in the US after 1970, I guess that's why she was largely ignored there.
    All over Europe, she was a big celeb right up to her death & played gigs all the time.
    I don't think she was ignored in America. She was unhappy with the political situation in the US, but she periodically returned to make new recordings and to do concerts.

I saw her on one of her last US tours, back in 2000. I went on a whim, as I only had one cd and had read her book. It was one of the best concerts I've ever been to and the next day, I hit every record store I could and bought every Nina cd they had.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I don't think she was ignored in America. She was unhappy with the political situation in the US, but she periodically returned to make new recordings and to do concerts.

I saw her on one of her last US tours, back in 2000. I went on a whim, as I only had one cd and had read her book. It was one of the best concerts I've ever been to and the next day, I hit every record store I could and bought every Nina cd they had.
    That is very cool reese. You have such gusto!!

Simone:
    I admire bohemians. There's something about people who seek themselves out in foreign places ....looking for that fit .... or the right environment for personal completion ...

Good for her to include Africa [Liberia] in her sojourns ....why not?? ... It would be interesting to learn why that did not work out for her .... why eventually Europe instead...

Nina was quite versatile and able to seek out sounds from different sources and styles including the Bee Gees no less ....

Nina is finally getting her dues back in the US ...
    Name:  NinaSimoneWay.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  94.6 KB

^^^Wonderful! That's her brother Samuel in the beret.

well it's a helluva lot cheaper than a freakin' Hollywood cement star ....

...surely she's got streets in her preferred countries as well ....

guess her daughter was unable to attend although I'm sure she wanted to be there .....