[REMOVE ADS]

FLOS....never heard this one before.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    O wow, these ladies can sing! Love the harmonies too

This is beautiful. I know I should know the answer to this; however, I am still unclear. Did the 'Supremes' become the FLOS after Mary left the group? Was it around 1977? Upon leaving the group, did Mary retire or put to rest the name "Supremes" being used for the group? Did the other ladies, Sherrie and Susaye, request to continue with the 'Supremes' name when Mary left the group?

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    This is beautiful. I know I should know the answer to this; however, I am still unclear. Did the 'Supremes' become the FLOS after Mary left the group? Was it around 1977? Upon leaving the group, did Mary retire or put to rest the name "Supremes" being used for the group? Did the other ladies, Sherrie and Susaye, request to continue with the 'Supremes' name when Mary left the group?
    When Mary left the group, it was supposed to continue with Scherrie, Susaye, and Joyce Vincent. But Motown decided that there would be no more group, and Scherrie and Susaye went on to record the PARTNERS album as a duo.

The forming of the FLOS came later. Someone else can fill in that part of the timeline.
    Last edited by reese; 06-05-2023 at 08:27 AM.

What a treat! I loved the way Jean's voice sounded in the 80s.

As I remember it, Scherrie Payne signed with a new LA label called Superstar International. The label wanted to reunite the Supremes so Scherrie contacted Cindy Birdsong and Mary Wilson. Jean accepted but Mary declined. This was in 1986 as Mary was preparing for the release of her first book. Scherrie and Cindy then recruited Jean Terrell. Soon after this Cindy decided to accept a solo deal with a UK based label. Payne and Terrell then recruited Lynda Laurence. They recorded as the Flos and performed together into the early 90s when Jean decided she no longer wanted to be in the group. Since then several ladies have stepped in and out of the Flos.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    As I remember it, Scherrie Payne signed with a new LA label called Superstar International. The label wanted to reunite the Supremes so Scherrie contacted Cindy Birdsong and Mary Wilson. Jean accepted but Mary declined. This was in 1986 as Mary was preparing for the release of her first book. Scherrie and Cindy then recruited Jean Terrell. Soon after this Cindy decided to accept a solo deal with a UK based label. Payne and Terrell then recruited Lynda Laurence. They recorded as the Flos and performed together into the early 90s when Jean decided she no longer wanted to be in the group. Since then several ladies have stepped in and out of the Flos.
    Yes, this is my understanding of how things went down. Shame Cindy was never a part of the group. I do love that Scherrie, Susaye, and Joyce are finally performing together.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    When Mary left the group, it was supposed to continue with Scherrie, Susaye, and Joyce Vincent. But Motown decided that there would be no more group, and Scherrie and Susaye went on to record the PARTNERS album as a duo.

The forming of the FLOS came later. Someone else can fill in that part of the timeline.
    There were several singers considered for the third spot in the Supremes when Mary went solo; Joyce was one. Karen Knox was another. I've heard other names thrown out over the years.

Scherrie was approached in the early 80's by Superstar Records to "reform" the Supremes. Mary declined. She then reached out to Jean Terrell and Cindy Birdsong. A gig to kick off "The FLOS" was scheduled with Jean, Cindy, and Sherrie, but was cancelled last minute. Cindy soon departed the group for her solo career, and was replaced by Lynda Lawrence. The rest is herstory.

To add: the FLOS were first conceptualized as a contemporary singing group, which is why their first releases were original songs. When those didn't click, they jumped feet first into rerecording the entire Supremes catalog.

On a somewhat related note...in 1987, Cindy Birdsong, Scherrie Payne and Jayne Edwards sang backup on John Kidd's recording of "Up The Ladder To the Roof". I am curious if anyone knows Jayne Edwards' history? Is she an artist who sang backup over the years for others? All I could find was that she worked with Rick Gianatos and release a small handful of cover songs in the 80's, including "I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking".

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    On a somewhat related note...in 1987, Cindy Birdsong, Scherrie Payne and Jayne Edwards sang backup on John Kidd's recording of "Up The Ladder To the Roof". I am curious if anyone knows Jayne Edwards' history? Is she an artist who sang backup over the years for others? All I could find was that she worked with Rick Gianatos and release a small handful of cover songs in the 80's, including "I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking".
    Lynda Lawrence does the lions share of the singing on John Kydd's UP THE LADDER...she is not pictured on the cover...there is very little info about John....on the cover he thanks Cindy Birdsongs son David as being one of his best friends...
    Jayne had a few 12" singles released...

great performance...this was the only group of FLO'S I really liked to see and hear...the voices blend so well...[[If I was asked to pick a 2nd FLO's unit, Freddie Poole was the most listenable of the 3 remaining replacement members)

Hmmm. A random performance by a random selection of talented women that has nothing whatsoever to do with The Supremes. Some love the FLOS. So be it. Random be thy name.

Does anyone else own this CD? I think it's one of the FLOS best. Probably because
    it's not all rehashes. Some new stuff for the girls.
    GROUP CONSISTS OF SCHERRIE PAYNE, LYNDA LAURENCE AND SUNDRAY TUCKER. TRACKS 1. REFLECTIONS 2. STOP TO LOVE 3. NEVER CAN SAY GOODBYE 4. SOMEDAY WE'LL BE TOGETHER 5. FIRST TIME ON A FERRIS WHEEL 6. TOUCH 7. JUST LIKE THAT! 8. SWEET FREEDOM 9. LOVE CHILD 10. WHO DO U LOVE 11. PRIVATE NUMBER W/ EDWIN STARR 12. FEEL LIKE MAKIN' LOVE
    Does anyone know whatever happened to John Kidd. I don't think that was his real name. I had heard 'back in the day' Lynda wasn't on the cover as she had another commitment on the day they shot the cover photo. I've always wondered about Jayne Edwards.
    Last edited by lakeside; 06-06-2023 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    Lynda Lawrence does the lions share of the singing on John Kydd's UP THE LADDER...she is not pictured on the cover...there is very little info about John....on the cover he thanks Cindy Birdsongs son David as being one of his best friends...
    Wasn't David born in 1972? So he would have been about 15 at the time of this release? Just seems like an odd statement.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    Thank you for pointing that out, gman, in regards to Lynda singing on this track. It's been a while since I've listened to it.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post

Does anyone else own this CD? I think it's one of the FLOS best. Probably because
    it's not all rehashes. Some new stuff for the girls.
    GROUP CONSISTS OF SCHERRIE PAYNE, LYNDA LAURENCE AND SUNDRAY TUCKER. TRACKS 1. REFLECTIONS 2. STOP TO LOVE 3. NEVER CAN SAY GOODBYE 4. SOMEDAY WE'LL BE TOGETHER 5. FIRST TIME ON A FERRIS WHEEL 6. TOUCH 7. JUST LIKE THAT! 8. SWEET FREEDOM 9. LOVE CHILD 10. WHO DO U LOVE 11. PRIVATE NUMBER W/ EDWIN STARR 12. FEEL LIKE MAKIN' LOVE
    There's an even better compilation, called "Stop To Love", which has no re-recordings of The Supremes' hits on it. Or better yet, if you get the 3 CD set called "Triple Treasures", I think it pretty much has all of the FLOS' recordings on it.

Here is "Stop To Love"...

https://www.discogs.com/release/1731...s-Stop-To-Love

Triple Treasures...

https://www.45worlds.com/cdalbum/cd/box30078

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    There's an even better compilation, called "Stop To Love", which has no re-recordings of The Supremes' hits on it. Or better yet, if you get the 3 CD set called "Triple Treasures", I think it pretty much has all of the FLOS' recordings on it.

Here is "Stop To Love"...

https://www.discogs.com/release/1731...s-Stop-To-Love

Triple Treasures...

https://www.45worlds.com/cdalbum/cd/box30078
    Yes, I'd forgotten about Stop to Love. That's a good one.

I also own the Triple Treasures and I think covers most of their work. That's where I first heard "Hit or Miss" where Lynda tears the roof off.
    Last edited by lakeside; 06-08-2023 at 12:41 AM.