[REMOVE ADS]

The Temptations - Rare/Unreleasd/Remixed/Alt. Takes Archive

Hello, this is my first post here so forgive me if I get confused on some of the rules. I'm 24 years old and I've been a Temptations for as long as I can remember. I've been dropping by in the community for a while now, specifically to get more information on the now defuct Mowtown Unreleased series. The amount of helpful information and knowledge you all seemed to have is what inspired me to make an account and to start this thread.

I was recently listening to the Emperors of Soul Box Set released in 1994. I've had it for a few years but never really gave it a good listen to outside of ripping some of the harder to find tracks [[at the time, "Blueprint for Love" and "My Kind of Woman"). Immediatley I noticed that there are a fair bit of tracks in the box set that while not listed as anything special, contain differences from their original or commonly released versions. I'm going under the assumption that these are the "Single Versions" of those songs and not the LP versions. To note I'm not talking about trimmed or edited versions of songs like "In A Lifetime", "Who Are You", and "Keep Holding On" which are just shorter cuts of the LP versions. I'm referring to tracks that have significant differences from their more commonly heard versions. Big examples of this on the box set are "A Song For You" [[features a spoken intro by Dennis Edwards), "Do You Really Love Your Baby" [[Which appears to be the "Radio Edit" of the Club Remix), and "Look What You Started" [[Which has a more emphasized drum beat and even different vocals). All of this kinda got me thinking about what else could be out there. I'd already been searching for rare and unreleased versions of songs, as well as alternate takes. My goal is to find as many as possible and collect them for archival purposes and also put them out there on something like YouTube for everyone to enjoy. Best case scenario maybe we could get an official digital release of all these hidden gems similar to what happened with the "Emperors of Soul: The Rarities" Digital Release. I'm hoping that with this community's help, we can find some of these tracks and get them ripped and preserved. I plan at some point to find and purchase what Vinyls I can and find a service that can can rip them in high quality. I've tried doing it myself but I never turns out too well. Below is a list of everything I've discovered so far. I'll update these lists as more information is found.

This is a list of all of the tracks I've discovered so far:

Notable Album Releases:

• Emperors of Soul Box Set
    • Lost & Found
    • Gold
    • Love Songs
    • Mowtown Unreleased Series
    • Emperors of Soul: The Rarities

List of tracks that have been found but not "released":
    • I'm Fascinated [[Extended Version) - Released as a single it's 1:42 longer than the LP Release
    • Get Ready 1990 [[Pop Edit)
    • All I Want From You [[12" Radio Edit)
    • All I Want From You [[Dub Mix)
    • One Step At A Time [[Remix)
    • Think For Yourself [[Single Version) - 1:33 seconds shorter than LP version
    • Miss Busy Body [[Get Your Body Busy) [[Extended Version)
    • Miss Busy Body [[Get Your Body Busy) Part 2
    • Broken Pieces [[Radio Edit)
    • Broken Pieces [[No Monologue) - This version is almost 2min short than the "LP" Version and Radio Edit
    • This Is My Promise [[Radio Edit)
    • I'm also hoping to find a complete copy of the Temptations Chicago 1979 Soundstage performance that can be restored into good quality.

List of unconfimred tracks
    • Up The Creek [[Without A Paddle) - Shorter single version, There's no confimation on any difference between this version and LP version
    • Mystic Woman [[Love On Me) [[Single Version) - Another shorter release w/ No known differences other than the timestamp
    • Since I Lost My Baby Rerecorded alternate vocals - Apparently there's a rerecorded version of Since I Lost My Baby without David Ruffin. I talked to the guy who claimed to have discovered it but he could no longer find it when I asked about.

Thanks to anyone and everyone who can help me on this endeavour!

Too Long, Didn't Read - I'm compliling a list of hard to find Remixes/Alternate Versions/Alternate Single Versions/Unreleased songs from The Temptations in hopes of publishing High Quality versions of these tracks [[unofficially) and would like to get this community's help.
    Last edited by OmegaFalcon5; 06-03-2023 at 02:01 PM.

WELCOME OMEGA, GLAD TO HEAR FROM A [TEMPTAHOLIC...folks who love the Temps]YOU'RE IN THE RIGHT PLACE MY FRIEND YOU'LL GET THE INFO YOU NEED I'M SURE..TEMPTATIONS FOREVER!

Welcome OmegaFalcon5. You've come to the right place!

PS: I think I've got two songs you can add to your list: "Give It Up" & "The Man Who Don't Believe In Love" [both from the 1999 CD edition of Gettin' Ready].
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 06-03-2023 at 10:40 AM.

Welcome OmegaFalcon5. You've come to the right place!

I love your lists

I have been able to add some songs to my Temptations collection

edafan
    Last edited by edafan; 06-03-2023 at 05:39 PM.

Oh yeah, I always forget that those were bonus tracks. Thanks for the reminder, I've added them to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaFalcon5 View Post
    Oh yeah, I always forget that those were bonus tracks. Thanks for the reminder, I've added them to the list.
    You're Welcome. And here's another one for your list-"Lullaby Of Love" [rec. Mar. 67-first released on Anthology/The Best of The Temptations in 1995].

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    You're Welcome. And here's another one for your list-"Lullaby Of Love" [rec. Mar. 67-first released on Anthology/The Best of The Temptations in 1995].
    That one is featured on the Digital 'Emperors of Soul: The Rarities" Album which is listed in the Albums section. Thanks Again for the find though!

Love this alternate vocal take of "Since I Lost My Baby"

Update Post:

I made a few new discoveries over the last few weeks I wanted to share with the community. To start the Single Version of Look What you started was posted on YouTube, but both posts of the club mix of Do You Really Love Your Baby were taken down. I was scrubbing through the compliation credits The Temptations have on Discogs and discovered a few new finds. "The Music, The Magic, The Memories Of Motown [[A Tribute To Berry Gordy)" album contains 3[[?) Temptations tracks I haven't heard anyone talk about. The first is a cover of "Do You Love Me", the second is a 1995ish cover of Dreams Come True performed by Stevie Wonder w/ the currents Tempts doing the backing vocals. The album also includes "Power" but I am unable to confirm if its a rerecording or not. Speaking of songs I cannot confirm. There are several compilations in their discography that list a song titled "It Started With Kiss". The Albums appear to be a 3rd party German releases. One big takeaway from the albums is the disco theme that each of the albums advertise. This is speculation on my part based on a recent conversation I was fortunate to have with Dr. Otis Williams, but he stated that he never purchased the Master Recordings for their 3rd Atlantic Album. Its possible that someone got their hands on one of the tracks and slapped it into a comilation album. While it coud also be a recording from Surf band the temptations or possibly Dennis Edwards cover group that was doing rerecordings around the same time, neither fall into the catagory of disco. One of the compilations also notes that the song was recorded in the 80s, but since its an overseas release it could be false information. The compilation albums can get a little pricey with shipping so I don't have the means of purchasing any of the albums to test this theory though. And finally, David Ruffin Jr. posted what appears to be a full recording of a live performance by The Temptations During the reunion tour. The audio is in poor condition, but if anyone knows someone who can digitize and/or restore vinyls, it may be woth reaching out to him to see if he's willing to let us restore the recordings. I'm also looking for the same service for some of the Vinyls I have listed in the OP, so if anyone has any tips for that please let me know, Thanks.

Here are the links to the new finds:
    The Temptations - Do You Love Me
    Stevie Wonder w/ The Temptations - Dream Come True
    The Temptations - Look What You've Started [[Single Version)
    The Temptations - Fiddler on the Roof Medley [[Live from Broadway)
    The Temptations - Show Intro [[We're Still Here Live 1982)
    The Temptations - Papa Was A Rollin' Stone [[Danny Howells' Remix)

Unconfirmed Tracks:
    The Temptations - I Started With A Kiss
    Last edited by OmegaFalcon5; 06-30-2023 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaFalcon5 View Post
    Update Post:

I made a few new discoveries over the last few weeks I wanted to share with the community. To start the Single Version of Look What you started was posted on YouTube, but both posts of the club mix of Do You Really Love Your Baby were taken down. I was scrubbing through the compliation credits The Temptations have on Discogs and discovered a few new finds. "The Music, The Magic, The Memories Of Motown [[A Tribute To Berry Gordy)" album contains 3[[?) Temptations tracks I haven't heard anyone talk about. The first is a cover of "Do You Love Me", the second is a 1995ish cover of Dreams Come True performed by Stevie Wonder w/ the currents Tempts doing the backing vocals. The album also includes "Power" but I am unable to confirm if its a rerecording or not. Speaking of songs I cannot confirm. There are several compilations in their discography that list a song titled "It Started With Kiss". The Albums appear to be a 3rd party German releases. One big takeaway from the albums is the disco theme that each of the albums advertise. This is speculation on my part based on a recent conversation I was fortunate to have with Dr. Otis Williams, but he stated that he never purchased the Master Recordings for their 3rd Atlantic Album. Its possible that someone got their hands on one of the tracks and slapped it into a comilation album. While it coud also be a recording from Surf band the temptations or possibly Dennis Edwards cover group that was doing rerecordings around the same time, neither fall into the catagory of disco. One of the compilations also notes that the song was recorded in the 80s, but since its an overseas release it could be false information. The compilation albums can get a little pricey with shipping so I don't have the means of purchasing any of the albums to test this theory though. And finally, David Ruffin Jr. posted what appears to be a full recording of a live performance by The Temptations During the reunion tour. The audio is in poor condition, but if anyone knows someone who can digitize and/or restore vinyls, it may be woth reaching out to him to see if he's willing to let us restore the recordings. I'm also looking for the same service for some of the Vinyls I have listed in the OP, so if anyone has any tips for that please let me know, Thanks.

Here are the links to the new finds:
    The Temptations - Do You Love Me
    Stevie Wonder w/ The Temptations - Dream Come True
    The Temptations - Look What You've Started [[Single Version)
    The Temptations - Fiddler on the Roof Medley [[Live from Broadway)
    The Temptations - Show Intro [[We're Still Here Live 1982)
    The Temptations - Papa Was A Rollin' Stone [[Danny Howells' Remix)

Unconfirmed Tracks:
    The Temptations - I Started With A Kiss
    The Temptations– I Gotta Find A Way [[To Get You Back)
    alternate Lead Vocals – Eddie Kendricks - Celarful of Motown Vol 5

The Temptations– Then
    Lead Vocals – Paul Williams Celarful of Motown Vol 5

The Temptations– Positively Absolutely Right
    Lead Vocals – Melvin Franklin Celarful of Motown Vol 2

The Temptations– Come Back My Love
    Lead Vocals – Eddie Kendricks Celarful of Motown Vol 3

The Temptations– You Didn't Show Girl - Celarful of Motown Vol 4

I always cringe whenever I see Motown written as Mowtown!

That aside, a list such as this is a worthwhile project and you may want to check out the 2 CD Temptations 25th Anniversary set from 1986 which includes some previously unreleased tracks plus some live tracks.

The tracklist -

## = previously unreleased

Volume I
    1-01 The Temptations – I Want A Love I Can See 2:31
    1-02 The Temptations – So Much Joy 3:32 ##
    1-03 The Temptations – It Don't Have To Be This Way 2:24 ##
    1-04 The Temptations – The Further You Look The Less You See 2:20
    1-05 The Temptations – My Girl 2:41
    1-06 The Temptations – Since I Lost My Baby 2:51
    1-07 The Temptations – A Tear From A Woman's Eyes 2:34 ##
    1-08 The Temptations – Wherever I Lay My Hat [[That's My Home) 2:23 ##

1-09 The Temptations – Don't Look Back 2:50
    1-10 The Temptations – Get Ready 2:37
    1-11 The Temptations – Ain't Too Proud To Beg 2:32
    1-12 The Temptations – Truly Yours 3:11
    1-13 The Temptations – I Can't Get Next To You [[Live) 2:15
    1-14 The Temptations – Cloud Nine [[Live) 4:14
    1-15 The Temptations – Just My Imagination [[Runnin' Away With Me) 3:46
    1-16 The Temptations – Come To Me 3:00
    1-17 The Temptations – Soulmate 5:57

Volume II
    2-01 The Temptations – Hello Young Lovers 2:57
    2-02 The Temptations – Too Busy Thinking About My Baby 2:37
    2-03 The Temptations – Ol' Man River 4:26
    2-04 The Temptations – The Impossible Dream 3:22
    2-05 The Temptations With Diana Ross & The Supremes – I'm Gonna Make You Love Me 3:06
    2-06 The Temptations – Hey Girl 2:37
    2-07 The Temptations – Heavenly 3:38
    2-08 The Temptations – A Song For You [[Live) 5:18
    2-09 The Temptations – I Need You 3:04
    2-10 The Temptations – Dreammaker 3:25
    2-11 The Temptations – Papa Was A Rollin' Stone 7:23
    2-12 The Temptations – Thanks To You 4:29
    2-13 The Temptations – Glass House
    2-14 The Temptations – Power 4:09
    2-15 The Temptations – Treat Her Like A Lady 5:02

On discogs https://www.discogs.com/master/35839...th-Anniversary
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 08-08-2023 at 12:26 AM.

The Distants "Always" is on CD on Hallmark's "Introducing The Temptations" https://www.discogs.com/release/1261...he-Temptations

On TJ Lubinsky's "Motown Original Masters" 6 CD set and also on the related "The Motown Box" set there are:
    The Temptations Since I Lost My Baby [[Alternate Lead Vocal Stereo Mix)
    The Temptations My Girl [[Extended Stereo Mix)
    The Temptations Ain't Too Proud To Beg [[Extended Stereo Strings Mix)
    The Temptations You'll Lose A Precious Love [[Extended Stereo Mix)
    See "The Motown Box" here - https://www.discogs.com/master/92050...The-Motown-Box

I can imagine The Temptations singing the Hot Chocolate hit "It Started With A Kiss" but suspect that's more likely a misprint or similar error - nevertheless if they did record it I'd like to hear it.

Thank You everyone who has been helping with this list. A Minor update: "Drifting Away featuring Chaka Khan" has been found and posted on YouTube. I'll post the link below. I'm still trying to find a way to contact Atlantic Records in hopes of getting information on what might be in their vaults, but things have slowed down since the fall semester started. Someone on YouTube claims to be in possession of a cassette tape with 3 tracks from the unreleased 3rd Atlantic album. The other missing songs are "Keep Me" and "Must Be Love". I'm going to assume that this cassette was the groups first single from the record. Otis mentioned that the record was/nearly was complete before it was canned, so its possible the had already started producing would be singles.

The Temptations - Drifting Away ft Chaka Khan