[REMOVE ADS]

It's So Hard for me to say goodbye: JMC or Eddie Kendricks?

I just learned that Eddie Kendricks also recorded It's So Hard for Me to Say Goodbye, the song that closes out the JMC album Touch. Which one do you prefer?

Both are different and great

I've loved both songs the very first time I heard them. Both songs are favorites of mine by each artist. I think they're equally as great and when it comes to preference, I imagine it just depends on the mood I'm in.

I have to go with Jeans version...simply because it is the perfect ending to my very favorite Supremes LP....while Eddie is being spoke of here....the part in The Beginning of The End where Diana sings "my heart, soul my love, MY EVERYTHING" to me when she is singing the "my everything" it always makes me think "that's the way Eddie would have sang that"...[[just for thought: I know the FIDDLER medley from GIT gets a lot of neg....but I really like it...I also like Sing A Simple Song and The Weight really grew on me over the years from the Together LP...other than WHY? the Motown coves on that LP are the pits!!!!)

I prefer the Supremes version.
    Jean gives a great vocal

without any hesitation, JMC. no slight to Eddie but for me, a little falsetto goes a long way. and i realize he doesn't only sing in falsetto. but IMO i just prefer jean's vocal styling and tone.

the JMC version is just gorgeous and lush. their harmonies are sensational and while jean is stunning on the lead, this feels like such a marvelous GROUP song. it definitely does not feel like a solo lead with backing vocals. this is a group

Jean gets my vote here as well, a great vocal. Love, Love, Love the part in the middle of the song where she blows out. "I..I..I...I Can't change..."

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Jean gets my vote here as well, a great vocal. Love, Love, Love the part in the middle of the song where she blows out. "I..I..I...I Can't change..."
    yes that is stunning and i love the group vocals just leading up to that too

I like them both for how good each performance is.

If it interests anyone, the backing track on Eddie's version was originally intended for the Supremes. Instead it was passed along to him and a second backing version was cut for the Supremes...and that was left unused...and then the third [and released] backing track was recorded and used by The Supremes. So... imagine Jean singing over Eddie's version [with her own vocal spin, of course!].

[For the record, this info came from the annotations in TCMS11B--not by rumor or my imagination! LOL]

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    I like them both for how good each performance is.

If it interests anyone, the backing track on Eddie's version was originally intended for the Supremes. Instead it was passed along to him and a second backing version was cut for the Supremes...and that was left unused...and then the third [and released] backing track was recorded and used by The Supremes. So... imagine Jean singing over Eddie's version [with her own vocal spin, of course!].

[For the record, this info came from the annotations in TCMS11B--not by rumor or my imagination! LOL]
    interesting! i'd not heard that before. the Eddie version does have a more modern groove and funk to it. whereas the Jean version is a classic lush ballad

how about this for a What If:

what if Version 3 with Jean was released on Touch as it. BUT shortly after Touch, Frank was already working on Tears Left Over which also has a funkier feel to it. what if the funky version of Never was used but with totally new and different lyrics? it would have possible fit well in a new Sup/Frank Wilson album. a new direction for the group

100% Eddie