[REMOVE ADS]

Sheldon Reynolds R.I.P.

Ohio funk / soul guitar player Sheldon Reynolds has passed. . . . R.I.P.

He was a member of Sun, the Commodores + E,W & F down the years ... he also worked in conjunction with Al Boyd @ Motown for a short period ...

For UK soul fans, his work was never really more high profile than the March 76 release of the 1st UK Sun 45. This was coupled in the 3 x 45 demo package put together by EMI as their CAPITOL SOUL PROJECT release ... this 45 being coupled with a Tavares single & Barrett Strong's "Man Up In The Sky" 45 in a special promo package. The Barrett Strong cut being a soul club classic here in the UK.

SUN -- Give Your Love To Me

A good MODERN SOUL dancer -- the B side of Sun's first UK 45 release ... Attachment 20709

Truly sorry to hear about Sheldon Reynolds. I'll remember him for his stint in Earth Wind & Fire from 1987 thru 2002. RIP.

So sad to hear - there was something about the clear love and respect between Maurice White and Sheldon Reynolds that was always inspiring to me. Seeing two generations of talent with the age gap bridged through music. I also loved Sheldon's Devoted Spirits album in tribute to EWF which included EWF alumni Larry Dunn and Morris Pleasure, plus tracks with Johnny Graham, Maurice, Ronnie Laws, etc. There was a new composition on that album called "Rhythm of Love" that could have easily been a classic EWF track. RIP to Sheldon, his music will definitely live on.

This one must've been a dream project for Sheldon - EWF paying tribute to Jimi Hendrix, with Sheldon's guitar and vocals all over the production, Maurice's vocals and Kalimba, Verdine's bass, and the EWF horns piercing through it all. Love their version of this:

I was tagging my music collection this afternoon [[yes...all of these years later, I'm still trying to get those files tagged!), when I came across a Capitol Records Disco Sampler LP. One of the songs was "Dance [[Do What You Wanna Do) by Sun, a favoritye of mine from 1978.

I always put the release date, catalog # & chart info on all of my files, so, I went to my standby Discogs, to get some info on the song. I saw Sheldon Reynolds name crossed out, as they do with all of the former members of groups.

I decided to click on his name & hit one of the external links & saw that he had just died & that was a bit shocking. I rarely hit Facebook these days & knew nothing about his passing & it was sad to hear.

I posted pictures of Sheldon here that I had taken during the Dec. 2004 PBS Taping at Dover Downs for the "70s Soul Superstars" show & one that I posted was of Sheldon & I backstage.

I remember him as being a really cool guy who was smiling the entire 2 days. I haven't seen in since then, but he was a pleasant guy.

I send my condolences to his family & loved ones & to his brothers of Earth, Wind & Fire.

R.I.P.!!!