[REMOVE ADS]

best and worst Lead Singles from an album

Randy and others have written how the lead single from an lp can make or break it. Songs like TMITM and Upside Down generated huge excitement and the subsequent lps were hugely successful. Eaten Alive and WO [[the singles) did the opposite.

and what about DR's debut? the lp only made it to 19 or so. if they had released a single version of Mountain, would that have helped kick off the solo launch and the album?

what do you think are the best and worst lead singles? what would you have released instead?

As much as I love "Reach Out and Touch", "Mountain" as the first single probably would have catapulted it higher on the pop chart. I wonder how well the album was doing prior to "Mountain"'s release?

I'm not sold on any of the songs from EIE setting the charts on fire, and thus leading to better album sales. I think the timing of the album was just all wrong. However, the only two songs that make sense as singles is "I'm Still Waiting" and "Baby It's Love", the latter with a different mix, perhaps. Maybe "My Place" as a potential third contender. I think "Baby It's Love" might have proved the better option. I know "Waiting" did great outside the States, but I think it was a bit too slow and lacked much excitement for audiences over here. "Baby" and "My Place" might have sounded better on the radio.

"Remember Me" was a great lead single for Surrender, but what could it do for the album when the lp wouldn't even be released for another seven months?

While I prefer "You're a Special Part of Me" to "My Mistake", I suspect "Mistake" would have made the better lead single.

"Ladder" and "Stoned" were fantastic lead singles for their respective albums.

"I Guess I'll Miss the Man" just wasn't a good single at all, despite being a great song with great vocals. "5:30 Plane" might have made the best sense.

I don't think "He's My Man" was the best lead single. I would have gone with either "Early Morning Love", "Can't Stop a Girl" or "Color My World Blue".

"Heart Walking" was a fantastic lead single.

"Driving Wheel", while a great song, was not a good choice for lead single. It should have been either "Let Yourself Go" or "Sweet Dream Machine".

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    As much as I love "Reach Out and Touch", "Mountain" as the first single probably would have catapulted it higher on the pop chart. I wonder how well the album was doing prior to "Mountain"'s release?
    this is interesting

ROATSH was released in April and peaked in early June. DR 70 was released in mid June AFTER Reach had peaked. Mountain then was released in July

so yes i think if a single edit of Mountain had been released as the first single and then a few weeks later the full lp with the extended Mountain on it, it would have pushed the album higher

i like Remember Me but i don't think it is the best follow up tune to Mountain. Mountain just has this hysteria about it, this orgasmic explosion. RM is a wonderful tune but it never gets to the frenzied level. Surrender [[the song) does seem to reach this crazy peak but in a way quite different from Mountain [[unlike Reach out and i'll be there which is just a copycat). I think Surrender should be single 1 followed by RM. but you're totally spot on. the fact that the parent lp was so delayed was idiotic

Her rca years have to be the worst regarding single releases. Lead singles such as “Pieces Of Ice”, “Eaten Alive” and “Dirty Looks” helped kill enthusiasm for their respective albums.
    Other bombs to include “So Close”, “Upfront”, “Experience”, “Shock Waves”, Mr Lee” etc etc. Best choice for Ross 83 would surely have been You Do It”, offering a return to the kind of sound best associated with a Diana Ross.
    Regarding “EIE”, My Place” had all the right ingredients for a hit, though might have been considered to pop after the soulful drama of “Ain’t No Mountain”.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i like Remember Me but i don't think it is the best follow up tune to Mountain. Mountain just has this hysteria about it, this orgasmic explosion. RM is a wonderful tune but it never gets to the frenzied level.
    I always loved the way the version of Boys Town Gang brings the two songs really together. It was a much bigger hit than the Ross originals in the Netherlands, reaching number 7 on the charts in 1981 -- although it did help that Ross was massively popular during the early 1980s and it was widely known that these were her songs. [[and you got to love those outfits).

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    I always loved the way the version of Boys Town Gang brings the two songs really together. It was a much bigger hit than the Ross originals in the Netherlands, reaching number 7 on the charts in 1981 -- although it did help that Ross was massively popular during the early 1980s and it was widely known that these were her songs. [[and you got to love those outfits).

Wow, that lead vocalist [[Cynthia Manley) is talented! I'm gonna research more about her.