[REMOVE ADS]

Short Syreeta interview

Great piece of history, many thanks pj1.
    I’m fascinated that she says she’s no Diana Ross, that she’s her own Syreeta. Makes me wonder, would she have even accepted BG’s proposal to replace Jean after the Frontier farewell?

Thanks PJ1 for sharing this interview clip with Syreeta. And like BritishTony, the statement that she made that "she's no Diana Ross" does make me wonder if she would've accepted Berry's proposal to replace Diana in The Supremes back in 1970.

PS; It's a shame that Syreeta didn't have any major hits with her first two albums.

What a delightful person! She was deservedly popular in the UK with Spinning And Spinning and Your Kiss Is Sweet from the Stevie Presents album.

It also puzzled me as to why Syreeta Wright's 45 "Your Kiss Is Sweet" [aka "Just a Little Piece of You"] that this record was a huge success not only in the UK but across Europe, and did nothing in the US ?

Syreeta's US Motown 45 1328 Dec 1974 was never issued other than Syreeta's US Test Press from Oct 16 1974. It ended up on her US album only. Why did Motown pull it?

The B side was "Spinning & Spinning" side 2 and that got pulled as well. Why?

Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 05-23-2023 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Jarvis View Post
    It also puzzled me as to why Syreeta Wright's 45 "Your Kiss Is Sweet" [aka "Just a Little Piece of You"] that this record was a huge success not only in the UK but across Europe, and did nothing in the US ?

Syreeta's US Motown 45 1328 Dec 1974 was never issued other than Syreeta's US Test Press from Oct 16 1974. It ended up on her US album only. Why did Motown pull it?

Isn't Just A Little Piece Of You a different song to Your Kiss Is Sweet as per this link?

https://youtu.be/siZR3rXARB4

sorry, that "Your Kiss...." is HORRIBLE.That was actually a hit in the UK? Thats hard to understand how.

Yes It's a different song, I have both and seen the link before, so thank you for that. They switched to "Your Kiss Is Sweet" which became huge in the UK and Europe. Both finally ended up on the US album but 'YKIS' was finally selected for the 45, for some reason the US copy neither of the 'A' sides were finally selected, or the B side.

It's still a puzzle as to why they pulled Syreeta's 45 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Jarvis View Post

It's fun, cute .....but not cute enough?? Or perhaps its the other way, too cute ??? Quirky. Sort of in the BRAND NEW KEY style of singles as by Melanie.

The ending lines , "Your breath stinks" ..."Yours does too" perhaps hindered more than helped taking this novelty record seriously .
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-09-2023 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    It's fun, cute .....but not cute enough?? Or perhaps its the other way, too cute ??? Quirky. Sort of in the BRAND NEW KEY style of singles as by Melanie.

The ending lines , "Your breath stinks" ..."Yours does too" perhaps hindered more than helped taking this novelty record seriously .
    I agree, Boogie. It was a cute album track, but just too darned cutesy as the A-side of a single. I've gotta ask -- how did you ever decipher the "Your Breath Stinks" and "Yours does, too!" comments? I bought the album way back upon its release in the early '70s, and I never noticed it until now that you've pointed it out. And, even now, I could barely make it out at the tail end of the fade-out. You must have ears like a bat, Buddy!!

Hi Gary!

Ya I wasn't trying to hear anything .... was just listening in the car ....and I thought what did he [Stevie?] just say???

So then I played it again and sure enough and then I heard 'yours does too'.....gave me a chuckle to hear something unexpected snuck in there.

Syreeta should count her blessings she didn't get known for that song , imagine that being the highlight of your concert !

Hey Gary , what compelled you to buy the Syreeta LP/8-track/cassette back then??