[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Tom nixon

Tom nixon

Tom Nixon was a studio engineer, songwriter, arranger & producer ...
    He worked for Motown for a while, but didn't seem to have a very high profile while there.
    He went off to work with the likes of Johnny Nash [[MGM), Kim Weston [[MGM), the Naturelles [[Venture), Major IV, Temprees [[We Produce), Rufus Thomas [[Stax), Ernie Hines, Lou Bond, Eddie Floyd, BarKays, William Bell, Lee Sain, Staples Singers, etc.
    Anyone here have knowledge of what he did while at Motown ... APART from writing the NS classic "6 By 6" for EVD.Attachment 20702

Other than "6 By 6" I know not to any other Motown record involving Tom Nixon, Not sure of any other 45's? other than the ones you mention, maybe some of the Motown Albums?
    If it's the same Tom he was one of six writers & producers for Alicia Keys "Teenage Love Affair" in 2007. Others may find some others involving him?
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 05-21-2023 at 12:32 PM.

There's a picture supposedly of Tom at Stax in Rob Bowman's excellent book 'Soulsville USA'.

He recorded and mixed many of the classics at Hitsville [DM code letter X] until he left it would seem around mid to late 1966.

Perhaps Bob Olhsson knows a bit more of his post Motown career?

Cheers

Paul

I have the 'Soulville USA" The Story Of Stax Records. it mentions Tom five times, and also Don Davis & Al Bell including Tom as the primary session musicians at Stax from 1969. Al Bell made Tom the director of production control.
    He worked for Motown on the West Coast before moving to Stax, not much more on that. No real mention of specific "Songs"

If of any help the picture of Tom & Rufus Thomas. [not brilliant] and that's some beard!

Attachment 20704

Attachment 20703
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 05-22-2023 at 03:58 AM.

That's the one Graham!

I note in the preface, Rob Bowman asks if anyone can put him in contact with Tom along with a few other important people from Stax that he could not track down.

Cheers

Paul

I can't add anything to the Motown residence of Tom Nixon.

However, as mentioned, he produced an album on Ernie Hines, "Electrified".

There is a stupendous track, composed by Ernie Hines, "Your Love"

Tom Nixon thought so highly of this composition he produced it by The Temprees.

Johnny Adams likewise...

What has not been mentioned earlier is Tom's production of the album "Color Me Human" by John Ka Sandra. It has the wonderfully thought provoking track "Mose Part III". Recommended listening.

Tom Nixon mixed a lot of the classic Motown tracks. Check also the X in the DM reference.

I was told Tom and Lawrence Horn left to work for HDH. Around ten years ago, Bob Dennis told me they had run out of money after a year, and everybody moved on.