[REMOVE ADS]

"Call On Me" Rare Acetate

DFTMC lists 3 artists who have recorded Holland Dozier Holland's "Call On Me". This song to my ears says Sam Cooke through and through which seems unusual for a song from HDH.

Obviously the Four Tops recorded it and it featured on their first released album and also as a single B'side. Shorty Long also did a wonderful version. The first version, it seems was by Bruce Channel which I think remains unreleased but an acetate exists which has been posted to YouTube by forum member Graham Jarvis. I did do a search to see if this had been posted on here before but this came up negative - so apologies if it has.

BRUCE CHANNEL

FOUR TOPS

SHORTY LONG

To me Levi owns this track. The Bruce Channel version is a bit more raw but for the Four Tops HDH added the Detroit strings which really add an element of class to the song. As I recall Shorty Long laid his vocal over the same backing track as the Four Tops.