[REMOVE ADS]

The Spinners get a hero's welcome at Motown Museum

From DetroitFreePress.com-
    Through all the years of fame and success, through the spectacular run of hits in the '70s, the Spinners remained faithfully based in Detroit. But on Friday, the group headed down West Grand Boulevard to truly go home.
    It was Spinners Day at the Motown Museum, where key figures from the group — including cofounder Henry Fambrough and onetime lead vocalist G.C. Cameron — were celebrated as returning heroes, complete with a newly installed tribute on Hitsville’s famous picture window.
    “Welcome home,” museum CEO and chairwoman Robin Terry told the entourage, which included three members of the current Spinners lineup. “We’re honoring you and thanking you for continuing this legacy.”
    The love was reciprocal: The Spinners team revealed it is donating more than 375 stage outfits and 200 pairs of shoes to the Motown Museum, a key gift as the institution continues to expand its collection amid a $65 million expansion.

“Motown is the zenith of Black American music and entertainment,” said Spinners brand chief Tanisha Jackson, explaining the group’s decision to donate the memorabilia, which had been housed for decades in Southfield storage facility.
    Four of the splashy outfits were displayed Friday in the museum’s new Hitsville Next building — offering a retro, eye-catching trip back in time for gathered media and Motown alumni. As cameras snapped, Fambrough, Cameron and Jackson signed a deed of gift, formally transferring the apparel to the Motown Museum.

“Mr. [Berry] Gordy knew the uniforms he dressed his artists in would a have great effect, magnetically, on the people,” Cameron said.
    The museum event was part of a high-flying May that included word that the Spinners are bound for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, part of a 2023 class of inductees to be honored in November. On Saturday, the group will headline Detroit’s Music Hall with fellow ‘70s hitmakers the Stylistics.

The Spinners were one of the biggest R&B successes of that era, racking up reams of crossover R&B hits with Atlantic Records and Philadelphia producer Thom Bell. For a decade, the group was invincible, the smashes coming one after another: “I’ll Be Around,” “Could It Be I’m Falling in Love,” “One of a Kind [Love Affair],” “Then Came You,” “Games People Play,” “The Rubberband Man,” “Working My Back to You” and more.

But the foundation had been Motown, the Ferndale-bred group’s musical home and training ground from 1963 to 1970 following Berry Gordy’s acquisition of Tri-Phi Records.
    The Spinners’ time there was spotty. The group cracked the R&B Top 10 just twice, most notably with the Stevie Wonder-penned “It’s a Shame,” and members were often drafted into other jobs around the company. Pervis Jackson worked in the shipping department, for instance, and Bobby Smith was a driver. [Label legend has it that he picked up the Jackson 5 at Detroit Metro Airport when the young group came for its Motown audition].

Still, Fambrough and Cameron saluted Motown’s role in shaping the Spinners’ style and identity. On Friday, stepping into Hitsville for the first time in years, they got a personalized tour from Terry and a museum docent, sharing memories and insights as they made their way through the familiar old house.

Cameron recounted his frantic scramble when he was invited to join the Spinners in 1967.
    “The Spinners were the cutting edge of class, quality and precision,” he said. “And that’s what I had to learn in a week.”
    Asked what the Hitsville house evoked in his mind back in the ‘60s, Fambrough said: “Gotta go to work.”
    For Cameron, it represented aspiration: “The machine was so well-oiled. When I saw that house, I saw success.”
    Fambrough has affectionate memories of the company’s Motortown Revue tours — recalling that his mom insisted he phone regularly from the road — while Cameron paid tribute to dance tutor Cholly Atkins.

Great piece there - amazing they remember those Motown days with such affection and what a gift to the Museum. I really love The Spinners sound with Motown, especially Bobby Smith's vocal style. G.C. Cameron has the most amazing vocal range too. They're all intertwined with the history of Motown but I'm also happy that they enjoyed huge success at Atlantic. I think "I'll Always Love You" will always be my number 1 Motown song.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 05-20-2023 at 06:29 AM.

Very interesting, because the spinners were always third string at motown, behind the temps- four tops and maybe even the contours who couldn't hold a candle to the spinners, well congrats to the spinners!!

Well deserved!!

Hi!

Also John Edwards and his wife Lori were in Detroit and went to the concert, where John and Henry were honoured by the other Spinners.

Best regards
    Heikki

As the mastermind behind the Spinners Motown Homecoming Weekend, thanks for sharing.

I would encourage everyone to follow the Spinners on Instagram at @thespinnersofficial, as I'll be posting lots of behind the scenes, exclusive photos and footage from this past weekend.

It was a stellar success.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    From DetroitFreePress.com-
    Through all the years of fame and success, through the spectacular run of hits in the '70s, the Spinners remained faithfully based in Detroit. But on Friday, the group headed down West Grand Boulevard to truly go home.
    It was Spinners Day at the Motown Museum, where key figures from the group — including cofounder Henry Fambrough and onetime lead vocalist G.C. Cameron — were celebrated as returning heroes, complete with a newly installed tribute on Hitsville’s famous picture window.
    “Welcome home,” museum CEO and chairwoman Robin Terry told the entourage, which included three members of the current Spinners lineup. “We’re honoring you and thanking you for continuing this legacy.”
    The love was reciprocal: The Spinners team revealed it is donating more than 375 stage outfits and 200 pairs of shoes to the Motown Museum, a key gift as the institution continues to expand its collection amid a $65 million expansion.

“Motown is the zenith of Black American music and entertainment,” said Spinners brand chief Tanisha Jackson, explaining the group’s decision to donate the memorabilia, which had been housed for decades in Southfield storage facility.
    Four of the splashy outfits were displayed Friday in the museum’s new Hitsville Next building — offering a retro, eye-catching trip back in time for gathered media and Motown alumni. As cameras snapped, Fambrough, Cameron and Jackson signed a deed of gift, formally transferring the apparel to the Motown Museum.

“Mr. [Berry] Gordy knew the uniforms he dressed his artists in would a have great effect, magnetically, on the people,” Cameron said.
    The museum event was part of a high-flying May that included word that the Spinners are bound for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, part of a 2023 class of inductees to be honored in November. On Saturday, the group will headline Detroit’s Music Hall with fellow ‘70s hitmakers the Stylistics.

The Spinners were one of the biggest R&B successes of that era, racking up reams of crossover R&B hits with Atlantic Records and Philadelphia producer Thom Bell. For a decade, the group was invincible, the smashes coming one after another: “I’ll Be Around,” “Could It Be I’m Falling in Love,” “One of a Kind [Love Affair],” “Then Came You,” “Games People Play,” “The Rubberband Man,” “Working My Back to You” and more.

But the foundation had been Motown, the Ferndale-bred group’s musical home and training ground from 1963 to 1970 following Berry Gordy’s acquisition of Tri-Phi Records.
    The Spinners’ time there was spotty. The group cracked the R&B Top 10 just twice, most notably with the Stevie Wonder-penned “It’s a Shame,” and members were often drafted into other jobs around the company. Pervis Jackson worked in the shipping department, for instance, and Bobby Smith was a driver. [Label legend has it that he picked up the Jackson 5 at Detroit Metro Airport when the young group came for its Motown audition].

Still, Fambrough and Cameron saluted Motown’s role in shaping the Spinners’ style and identity. On Friday, stepping into Hitsville for the first time in years, they got a personalized tour from Terry and a museum docent, sharing memories and insights as they made their way through the familiar old house.

Cameron recounted his frantic scramble when he was invited to join the Spinners in 1967.
    “The Spinners were the cutting edge of class, quality and precision,” he said. “And that’s what I had to learn in a week.”
    Asked what the Hitsville house evoked in his mind back in the ‘60s, Fambrough said: “Gotta go to work.”
    For Cameron, it represented aspiration: “The machine was so well-oiled. When I saw that house, I saw success.”
    Fambrough has affectionate memories of the company’s Motortown Revue tours — recalling that his mom insisted he phone regularly from the road — while Cameron paid tribute to dance tutor Cholly Atkins.