[REMOVE ADS]

Motown: 2 Classic Albums 1 CD

A while back I purchased a single CD by the Four Tops entitled Four Tops/Four Tops Second Album. I mainly purchased it to obtain the recording of Stay In My Lonely Arms which was absent from my collection. I decided to play it tonight and much to my surprise there was a booklet included which I was unaware of. This was released in 2001. In reading the booklet, I discovered there are other Motown titles in this series:

Cat No. 013 360-2 On Top b/w Reach Out
    Cat No. 013 361-2 Yesterday's Dreams b/w Soul Spin
    Cat No. 013 362-2 Still Waters Run Deep b/w Changing Times

Underneath this it is stated "And albums by Jackson 5/DR & Supremes/Temptations/Marvin Gaye/Smokey Robinson & Miracles

The two sided sheets for each of the albums include the cover and the album liner notes on the back.

As I said, I was totally unaware of this series. Does anyone have a complete listing of all the albums in this series that were manufactured and released? The notation on the jacket states that it is exclusively licensed to Universal MCA Music [[UK) Ltd. in the UK.

Woodward, I purchased a good many [[if not all) of the CD two-fer reissues in this excellent-sounding series from Motown U.K. just a couple years ago in December 2012, although I don't have a complete list available at hand. Each two-fer CD set was released in an outer cardboard slipcase utilizing a photo other than the original album-cover photo. Slide out the plastic jewel case, however, and the original album-cover artwork will be revealed -- one on the front side of the jewel case, and the other on the back side. As I said, the sound quality in this exciting series was outstanding. There are just two problems -- on a couple of The Temptations' albums, a shorter, non-album version of an occasional track was substituted for the full-length album version in order to fit two albums onto one CD. Even worse, on one Smokey Robinson & The Miracles U.K. two-fer [[I think "Time Out For....."), one track was left out altogether, again to accommodate two albums onto one CD. That turned me off to the purchase of any future two-fer CD's. But, overall, I'm very pleased with the entire series. The other problem you'll find is that most of these titles are now out of print. Existing copies available on Amazon from third-party dealers are fetching a hefty price. You'll just have to go onto Amazon and search each Motown artist -- one at a time -- until you find a two-fer with a photo other than the original album-cover artwork. This will be the U.K. series. Without looking up each album title, Motown artists included in this series were:

Diana Ross & The Supremes, Four Tops, The Temptations, Martha Reeves & The Vandellas, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Gladys Knight & The Pips, Jr. Walker & The All Stars, and The Jackson 5. I hope this helps you out. - Gary
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 04-06-2015 at 02:01 AM.

Gary: Thanks for your worthwhile information. It's too bad they didn't push this concept in the USA vs the UK. From your description it appears that if I am able to locate any they will be outrageously expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    There are just two problems -- on a couple of The Temptations' albums, a shorter, non-album version of an occasional track was substituted for the full-length album version in order to fit two albums onto one CD. Even worse, on one Smokey Robinson & The Miracles U.K. two-fer [[I think "Time Out For....."), one track was left out altogether, again to accommodate two albums onto one CD.

Gary
    The first few CDs in this series [[The Tempts & Supremes) were reissues of the 1980s two-fers, hence the truncated tracks or edited versions.

After that, it seems a decision was made to remaster the rest of the series with brand new transfers of the Stereo L.P tapes.

Then there was a break in the series until the release of the Gladys Knight & the Pips sets, which used a different artwork and package design.

A good series, and a shame it didn't expand to other artists.

I think some of the series did get a US release [[J5 & the Miracles, including bonus tracks on some I seem to recall).

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by bradburger; 04-06-2015 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bradburger View Post
    The first few CDs in this series [[The Tempts & Supremes) were reissues of the 1980s two-fers, hence the truncated tracks or edited versions.

After that, it seems a decision was made to remaster the rest of the series with brand new transfers of the Stereo L.P tapes.

Then there was a break in the series until the release of the Gladys Knight & the Pips sets, which used a different artwork and package design.

I think some of the series did get a US release [[J5 & the Miracles, including bonus tracks on some I seem to recall).

Cheers

Paul
    When it was first released as a 2fer, the Supremes' A BIT OF LIVERPOOL / TCB had some edits, notably in the title track of the latter album, as well as some of the dialogue. But when they were re-released, TCB was there in full, although some of the applause was slightly different.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    When it was first released as a 2fer, the Supremes' A BIT OF LIVERPOOL / TCB had some edits, notably in the title track of the latter album, as well as some of the dialogue. But when they were re-released, TCB was there in full, although some of the applause was slightly different.
    Thanks for that reese.

I wonder if they used some different masters of the 80s two-fers when they did the first batch of the UK versions, as I seem to recall they were issued more than once in the 80s.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks for that reese.

I wonder if they used some different masters of the 80s two-fers when they did the first batch of the UK versions, as I seem to recall they were issued more than once in the 80s.

Cheers

Paul
    I don't know. I gather that by the time of the second release, they were able to put more content on cds. Another example is the 80s 2fer of Gladys Knight and the Pips' EVERYBODY NEEDS LOVE / IF I WERE YOUR WOMAN. Quite a few of the songs were edited. But when these albums were re-released on the most recent 2fers, they were complete.

I do think some of the releases sounded better the second time around. I can remember some of the songs on the original MORE HITS BY THE SUPREMES / SING HDH 2fer starting off sort of wobbly, as if the tape was trying to sync itself. But I heard none of that on the later 2fer.

Woodward, I purchased a good many [[if not all) of the CD two-fer reissues in this excellent-sounding series from Motown U.K. just a couple years ago in December 2012, although I don't have a complete list available at hand. Each two-fer CD set was released in an outer cardboard slipcase utilizing a photo other than the original album-cover photo. Slide out the plastic jewel case, however, and the original album-cover artwork will be revealed -- one on the front side of the jewel case, and the other on the back side. As I said, the sound quality in this exciting series was outstanding. There are just two problems -- on a couple of The Temptations' albums, a shorter, non-album version of an occasional track was substituted for the full-length album version in order to fit two albums onto one CD. Even worse, on one Smokey Robinson & The Miracles U.K. two-fer [[I think "Time Out For....."), one track was left out altogether, again to accommodate two albums onto one CD. That turned me off to the purchase of any future two-fer CD's. But, overall, I'm very pleased with the entire series. The other problem you'll find is that most of these titles are now out of print. Existing copies available on Amazon from third-party dealers are fetching a hefty price. You'll just have to go onto Amazon and search each Motown artist -- one at a time -- until you find a two-fer with a photo other than the original album-cover artwork. This will be the U.K. series. Without looking up each album title, Motown artists included in this series were:

Diana Ross & The Supremes, Four Tops, The Temptations, Martha Reeves & The Vandellas, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Gladys Knight & The Pips, Jr. Walker & The All Stars, and The Jackson 5. I hope this helps you out. - Gary
    Gary , Stevie Wonder didn`t have any releases in this series, but the Isley Brothers did.The second part of this series contained bonus tracks ie Gladys Knight, Martha & the Vandellas, Jr. Walker and the Isley Brothers.

There were 36 of these 2fers [[i.e. 72 albums) plus the 5 Gladys Knight & The Pips 2fers that came later and were a little different. They're all pictured here....
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...7626901923108/

FOUR TOPS
    013 359-2 Four Tops/Second Album
    013 360-2 On Top/Reach Out
    013 361-2 Yesterday’s Dreams/Soul Spin
    013 362-2 Still Waters Run Deep/Changing Times

MARVIN GAYE
    013 184-2 That Stubborn Kinda Fellow/How Sweet It Is
    013 185-2 Moods Of Marvin Gaye/In The Groove
    013 187-2 MPG/That’s The Way Love Is
    013 216-2 Here My Dear/In Our Lifetime
    013 309-2 Together [[Mary Wells)/Take Two [[Kim Weston)

MARVIN GAYE & TAMMI TERRELL
    013 217-2 United/You’re All I Need

ISLEY BROTHERS
    017 190-2 This Old Heart Of Mine/Soul On The Rocks

JACKSON 5
    159 512-2 Diana Ross Presents/ABC
    159 513-2 Third Album/Maybe Tomorrow

GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPS
    9841939-Silk N' Soul/Nitty Gritty
    9841940-Neither One Of Us/All I Need Is Time
    9841941-Knight Time/A Little Knight Music
    9841942-If I Were Your Woman/Standing Ovation
    9841943-Everybody Needs Love/Feelin' Bluesy

MARTHA REEVES & THE VANDELLAS
    016 835-2 Come &Get These Memories/Heat Wave
    016 836-2 Dance Party/Watchout
    016 837-2 Ridin’ High/Sugar ‘n’ Spice
    016 838-2 Natural Resources/Black Magic

SMOKEY ROBINSON & THE MIRACLES
    013 358-2 Going To A Go Go/Away We A Go Go
    013 183-2 Make It Happen/Special Occasion
    013 186-2 Time Out/Four In Blue

DIANA ROSS &THE SUPREMES
    159 509-2 Where Did Our Love Go?/I Hear A Symphony
    159 589-2 More Hits/Sing Holland Dozier Holland
    159 508-2 Love Child/Supremes A Go Go
    159 618-2 A Bit Of Liverpool/TCB [[Temptations)
    159 588-2 Let The Sunshine InCream Of The Crop

DIANA ROSS & THE SUPREMES & TEMPTATIONS
    159 507-2 Join The Temptations/Together

EDWIN STARR
    016 834-2 War & Peace/Involved
    016 839-2 Soul Master/25 Miles

TEMPTATIONS
    159 443-2 Meet The Temptations/Sing Smokey
    159 444-2 Live At The Copa/With A Lot O’Soul
    159 445-2 Psychedelic Shack/All Directions
    159 446-2 Cloud Nine/Puzzle People
    159 510-2 A Song For You/Masterpiece
    159 511-2 Wish It Would Rain/In A Mellow Mood

JR WALKER &THE ALL STARS
    017 080-2 Shotgun/Soul Session
    017 081-2 Road Runner/Home Cookin’
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 04-07-2015 at 12:33 PM.

I wish I had picked up the Smokey & The Miracles, Make it Happen & Special Occasion and the Jackson 5 Third Album & Maybe Tomorrow sets. Alas, I never saw them!

Jackson 5 twofers had their own American releases:
    http://www.amazon.com/Third-Album-Ma...ZF4R5QYKBA1EQE

The best Jackson 5 2fers of all of course are the Japanese mini LP series where you get 2 complete album covers in mini LP format with the CD. They did similar with The Miracles "Going To A Go Go" and "Away We A Go Go" and also Martha's "Heat Wave" / "Dance Party".

What I want to know is why every time they release the Supremes as twofers they ignore the Reflections LP - is there something wrong with that album?

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    There were 36 of these 2fers [[i.e. 72 albums) plus the 5 Gladys Knight & The Pips 2fers that came later and were a little different. They're all pictured here....

FOUR TOPS

MARVIN GAYE

ISLEY BROTHERS

JACKSON 5

GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPS

DIANA ROSS &THE SUPREMES

EDWIN STARR

TEMPTATIONS

JR WALKER &THE ALL STARS
    And don’t forget Marvin Gaye & Mary Wells' "Together" coupled with Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston’s "Take Two" .

http://www.amazon.com/Together-Take-...eston+take+two

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Gary , Stevie Wonder didn`t have any releases in this series, but the Isley Brothers did.The second part of this series contained bonus tracks ie Gladys Knight, Martha & the Vandellas, Jr. Walker and the Isley Brothers.
    You’re right, Roger. I stand corrected. When I updated my original 1980's Motown 2-fer CD reissues with the much-improved Motown U.K. 2-fer CD reissues, I simultaneously updated my Stevie Wonder CDs with the greatly-improved Universal Japan CD reissues. I was inadvertently thinking of those. Thanks for setting the record straight.

Cheers

Paul
    Brad/Paul, my Diana Ross & The Supremes U.K. 2-fer CDs are NOT the same as the original U.S. 1980's CD 2fers. The original U.S. versions, especially on "More Hits"/"Sing Holland-Dozier-Holland", contained glitches that stuck out like a sore thumb, i.e, the engineers started remastering before the master tape had come up to full speed, thus ruining the intros on a few songs. The U.K. version corrects all of that, as well as greatly improving the overall sound quality.

And don’t forget Marvin Gaye & Mary Wells' "Together" coupled with Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston’s "Take Two" .

http://www.amazon.com/Together-Take-...eston+take+two
    Gary - it is listed under Marvin Gaye above [[and conveniently immediately above Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell). Interestingly, "Take Two" uses the UK version cover, as does Martha's "Dance Party" whereas "The Supremes Sing Motown" reverts back to the US "Holland Dozier Holland" title and cover.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 04-07-2015 at 04:12 PM.

Gary - it is listed under Marvin Gaye above [[and conveniently immediately above Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell). Interestingly, "Take Two" uses the UK version cover, as does Martha's "Dance Party" whereas "The Supremes Sing Motown" reverts back to the US "Holland Dozier Holland" title and cover.
    Oh, yeah, mystersinger, I see now. You lumped Marvin/Mary/Kim in with the Marvin Gaye solo stuff. You’re right – you guys in the U.K. got the cool album cover of Martha & The Vandellas' "Dance Party", showing the girls gettin’ down on stage, while the U.S. got stuck with that cheap, crappy cartoon cover showing little tiny people dancing! Makes ya wonder who was in charge of the Art department that day!

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    What I want to know is why every time they release the Supremes as twofers they ignore the Reflections LP - is there something wrong with that album?
    At least "Reflections" is easily available on single CD but Four Tops "Now" is a real omission either way [[apart from the very expensive 90s CD). I suspect it will get a release shortly [[maybe Japanese or Culture Factory).

Also, mysterysinger, The Supremes 2-fer U.K. CD copy that I bought wasn’t titled "The Supremes Sing Motown". It was titled the same as the U.S. version, "More Hits"/"Sing H-D-H". Only the remastering was changed from sub-par to outstanding.

http://www.amazon.com/More-Hits-Sing...es+sing+motown

Several of the titles on these UK 2fers have never [[as far as I know) seen single CD release - or if they have I haven't got them individually -
    Yesterday's Dreams [[Tops)
    Soul Spin [[Tops)
    Knight Time [[Gladys)
    A Little Knight Music [[Gladys)
    Ridin' High [[Martha)
    Sugar n' Spice [[Martha)
    Natural Resources [[Martha)
    Four In Blue [[Smokey)
    Soul Session [[Jr Walker)
    Hopefully I have these right.

In addition, some of the CDs had bonus tracks too.

[QUOTE=Philles/Motown Gary;279826]And don’t forget Marvin Gaye & Mary Wells' "Together" coupled with Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston’s "Take Two" .

QUOTE]

There was also the Four Tops - Nature Planned it/Keeper of the Castle. Not a true Motown release but I think this was the only CD release of "Nature". Currently going on Amazon UK for £50.

There was also the Four Tops - Nature Planned it/Keeper of the Castle. Not a true Motown release but I think this was the only CD release of "Nature". Currently going on Amazon UK for £50.[/QUOTE]

That wasn't part of the UK series. It was one of the original US issues - there were many more 2fers released under that series including Stevie Wonder, Marvelettes, Duane Eddy, Al Green etc. At that time, many, but not all of these also received a UK release within the ZD series. The artwork on all of these was poor in comparison to the 2001 UK releases [[as was some of the mastering as discussed above).

You can see most of these original 2fers here.......https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...7637231731375/

However, as far as I know, there were a number of titles in the UK 2001 2fers that had/have never seen a US CD release of any kind.

Woodward, you may also want to take a look at this thread where some of these 2fers were discussed:
    http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...ve-A-Full-List

Even worse, on one Smokey Robinson & The Miracles U.K. two-fer [[I think "Time Out For....."), one track was left out altogether, again to accommodate two albums onto one CD.
    Gary, I'm not aware of any missing tracks from the 6 Smokey Robinson & The Miracles LPs which were released on the 2fers in this series. Could you please tell me which track is missing?

Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    Gary, I'm not aware of any missing tracks from the 6 Smokey Robinson & The Miracles LPs which were released on the 2fers in this series. Could you please tell me which track is missing?
    Well, dang, Calvin! I dug out all three U.K. 2-fer copies of Smokey Robinson & The Miracles sets, and the tracks are all intact. What the heck was I thinking of? I remember for a fact that some of The Temptations U.K. 2-fers were riddled with short versions of the songs because several customer reviews on Amazon were complaining about it. I could have sworn that one of The Miracles tracks was left out entirely. But a quick check proved otherwise. Hmmmm! Gotta wonder – Are senior moments becoming more prevalent than ever, or is somebody up there playin’ tricks on me? Rest assured, either way, your U.K. 2-fer sets are complete!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 04-12-2015 at 04:35 PM.

Well, dang, Calvin! I dug out all three U.K. 2-fer copies of Smokey Robinson & The Miracles sets, and the tracks are all intact. What the heck was I thinking of? I remember for a fact that some of The Temptations U.K. 2-fers were riddled with short versions of the songs because several customer reviews on Amazon were complaining about it. I could have sworn that one of The Miracles tracks was left out entirely. But a quick check proved otherwise. Hmmmm! Gotta wonder – Are senior moments becoming more prevalent than ever, or is somebody up there playin’ tricks on me? Rest assured, either way, your U.K. 2-fer sets are complete!
    Gary, it is hard to keep track of these things. I once went through all these 2fers, comparing the track lists to the original albums, to see which if any tracks I was missing. I just asked because I could have made a mistake when doing that.

And just to make things a bit more confusing, there are two different 2fers of "Going to a Go-Go / Away We a Go-Go" - the 2fer of the UK series and a 2002 US 2fer which has all the songs of the UK cd [[in the same order) plus three bonus tracks - "It's Fantastic", "Goin' Out Of My Head", and "A Fork In The Road [[Live @ The Roostertail)". Perhaps you noticed that the UK 2fer was missing these three songs [[but they are not from the original LPs).

And some of the albums on the UK 2fers are missing songs. In many cases a missing song can be found on the partner LP on the disc - ie if a song appeared on both albums, it only appears on the 2fer once. Or in at least one case on a different 2fer - the Edwin Starr pairing "War and Peace / Involved" is missing "Way Over There" [[which was on "Involved"), but that track appears on the 2fer "Soul Master / 25 Miles".

And then there is the infamous pairing of The Temptations' "Live at the Copa / With A Lot O' Soul" - "Live at the Copa" is missing "I'm Losing You", while "With a Lot O' Soul" is missing "You're My Everything". "Soul" has "I'm Losing You", but of course it's not the live version; while "Copa" has "You're My Everything", but of course it's not the studio version!

Reviewers on Amazon complained that songs were cut in length for "A Song For You / Masterpiece" - so i didn't bother buying that one, I bought both albums on cd individually [[and presumably uncut).

This and more was discussed here some time ago:
    http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...ve-A-Full-List

Still, I consider many - but certainly not all! - of these 2fers to be essential. As mysterysinger writes, some LPs cannot be found elsewhere on cd. I have 34 of the 41 [[including Gladys Knight & The Pips) 2fers listed above [[thanks mysterysinger for the complete list!). As far as i can tell, there is nothing on the other 7 that I don't have elsewhere, also in stereo.
    Last edited by calvin; 04-13-2015 at 01:56 AM.

FOUR TOPS

MARVIN GAYE

ISLEY BROTHERS

JACKSON 5

GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPS

DIANA ROSS &THE SUPREMES

EDWIN STARR

TEMPTATIONS

JR WALKER &THE ALL STARS

Addendum: 6/10/2023

I refer to this listing frequently and I just learned of five additional 2001 releases by the Jackson 5 so I am adding these to the listing in case you have printed this out for future reference.

440 014 380-2 Diana Ross Presents/ABC
    440 014 381-2 Third Album/Maybe Tomorrow
    440 014 382-2 Going Back to Indiana/Looking Through The Windows
    440 014 383-2 Skywriter/Get It Together
    440 014 384-2 Dancing Machine/Moving Violation

if memory serves me correctly there were 2 by Mary Wells :Bye Bye Baby/The One Who Really Loves You & Two Lovers/My Guy.

Neither the 5 Jackson 5 releases referred to by Woodward, nor the Mary Wells releases mentioned by Motony were part of the UK 2001 series which was the subject of the original post. They also have different formats to the UK releases. There have been plenty of other 2fers issued over the years, not listed above or below.

Original 8000 series
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...57637231731375

UK 2001 series
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...57626901923108

Jackson 5 2001 US series 2 Classic Albums One CD [[also re-issued 2007)

https://www.discogs.com/label/271471...-Albums-One-CD
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 06-19-2023 at 04:21 PM.