[REMOVE ADS]

Dean Taylor's Indiana Wants Me in Stereo?

Another mystery, does anybody know if a true stereo mix of R. Dean Taylor's Indiana Wants Me was ever issued? Even on his lone lp the extended mix is mono except for the sound effects. Wonder why?

Note the Stereo version: If you want the Stereo soundfile let me know.

Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 05-18-2023 at 03:07 AM.

IIRC, it's just very narrow stereo apart from the sirens and the gunfight not at the OK Corral.

We have to remember that R. Dean Taylor seemed to go his own way with a lot of stuff, and so it probably was with mixing as well.

Edit. On closer listen, there's a touch of reverb that I can hear in the RH channel, and the rhythm guitar seems to be in its own space, although it's hard to detect any real panning. Strange one!
    Last edited by Sotosound; 05-18-2023 at 05:14 AM.

[QUOTE=Graham Jarvis;761111]Note the Stereo version: If you want the Stereo soundfile let me know.

Isn't this the same mix from I Think, Therefore I Am?

[QUOTE=BayouMotownMan;761161]
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Jarvis View Post
    Note the Stereo version: If you want the Stereo soundfile let me know.

Isn't this the same mix from I Think, Therefore I Am?
    There are two stereo mixes of Indiana in the vaults both of which show as released while out of the 9 mono mixes 2 are marked as released
    Last edited by paul_nixon; 05-18-2023 at 02:32 PM.

how about the mix on one of the Motown Hard To Find early CDS? I have it somewhere, and thought it sounded different than the 45...but not drastically...it was one of my fav songs....

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    how about the mix on one of the Motown Hard To Find early CDS? I have it somewhere, and thought it sounded different than the 45...but not drastically...it was one of my fav songs....

There is a story behind that CD. All the tracks called from the US for the collection went 'straight to publication' without being auditioned and unfortunately [[or fortunately) several of the mixes and versions were off. RDT himself was very upset about wrong mixes - versions being used and it took several months to placate him but in the end he understood it was a sloppy production process that caused the errros.

I've now dug out my MFP Sounds Superb Indiana Wants Me LP with sleeve notes by James Hamilton, and the mix of this track seems to be mono apart from the sirens and gunfight.

Funnily enough, the album opens with a remix of "Gotta See Jane" that is also largely mono, with just the harpsichord obviously panned a bit to the left.

So R. Dean Taylor and/or his mixing engineer were probably on a "largely mono with a couple of stereo tinkles" kick at that time, which is the way that stereo was going for a lot of popular music due to the fact that the industry had gone all-stereo before record buyers had had the chance to do the same with their record players.

Record buyers often, therefore, ended up playing their latest stereo purchases on a mono gramophone, and sometimes only heard one channel. I had this problem myself, and proper 60s stereo Motown was, therefore, horrible, with half of the backing track missing, often including the drums. Yuk!

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    There is a story behind that CD. All the tracks called from the US for the collection went 'straight to publication' without being auditioned and unfortunately [[or fortunately) several of the mixes and versions were off. RDT himself was very upset about wrong mixes - versions being used and it took several months to placate him but in the end he understood it was a sloppy production process that caused the errros.
    Paul - I assume you're referring to the R.Dean Taylor "Essential Collection" from 2001? Personally I don't hear anything wrong with that version though it is slightly longer than standard. Not as long as some that run to 3:55 and carry more gunfight sounds towards the end.

Conversely there is the promo version at 3:03 as on TCMS and also very oddly on the Reader's Digest "Ultimate Motown Collection - Soul Brothers". The instrumental run round at the start of the track only happens once as opposed to twice on all other versions.

The tracks on the different issues of various artists "Big Hits and Hard To Find Classics Volume 2" all seem ok too.

in terms of vinyl, the track lists on "I Think Therefore I Am" and the Tamla Motown UK "Indiana Wants Me" are the same. But the Sounds Superb LP referred to by Sotosound was different:

"I Think"/"Indiana Wants Me"

Gotta See Jane 2:59
    Fire And Rain 3:00
    Woman Alive 2:36
    Ain't It A Sad Thing 2:33
    Indiana Wants Me 3:15
    Back Street 3:33
    Two Of Us 3:08
    Sunday Morning Coming Down 4:14
    Gonna Give Her All The Love I've Got 3:00
    Love's Your Name 2:19

Sounds Superb
    A1 Gotta See Jane
    A2 Don't Fool Around
    A3 There's A Ghost In My House
    A4 Ain't It A Sad Thing
    A5 Back Street
    A6 Gonna Give Her All The Love I've Got
    B1 Indiana Wants Me
    B2 Woman Alive
    B3 Candy Apple Red
    B4 Love's Your Name
    B5 Shadow
    B6 Taos New Mexico

In this interview, R Dean Taylor says he wrote "Indiana Wants Me" for the Four Tops - plus he also mimes the song [[which has been posted on the Forum previously).

The UK Tamla Motown single got the shorter radio edit and, for me, it made the full-length version sound slightly ponderous when I eventually acquired it on Motown Chartbusters Volume 6.

I have the stereo version at 3:05 on the cd Hard To Find 45s On CD: Late Sixties.

The Complete Motown Singles Vol.11A: 1971 [Disc57] includes "Indiana Wants Me" and one of the two Stereo versions from the motown Vaults at 3.07 mins. [As Paul Nixon Mentions]

The original stock copy "Indiana Wants Me" at 3.36 mins [[Commercial Version With Siren Intro] was also issued "The Complete Motown Singles Vol 10: 1970 [Disc 2] .

There are a number of differing record times [Not including later CD Versions 3.05]: to include the Stock copies at 3.07 & 3.35, and two different Promo copies both Black & Red at 3.35 & 2.35 [being the rare red copy] The 2.35 Red promo "Indiana Wants Me" is the other Promo Version with No Siren at Intro.

The only Stereo 45 copy I know to is the Netherlands 1970 copy at 3.35 and the later issues with TCMS.

If anyone wants the 2.35 promo sound file let me know, if I get the chance I will upload it to youtube.

Attachment 20715
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 05-31-2023 at 07:20 AM.

A little late to the party on this one, but a stereo mix of the single edit was issued as a Yesteryear 45. Matrix number is Y549F-A-D2-P2-D2-717MII-13A FH-3H.

Quote Originally Posted by GroovinGarrett View Post
    A little late to the party on this one, but a stereo mix of the single edit was issued as a Yesteryear 45. Matrix number is Y549F-A-D2-P2-D2-717MII-13A FH-3H.

always loved the record but not the compressed thinness of its sound.

This is almost hilarious. If ever some drumming didn't need to be showcased ....this is it!

The Yesteryear 45 [[CW Gotta See Jane) if this is the one you are talking about uses a mono DM as illustated on this labelName:  R-14641573-1578749089-1479.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  41.7 KB