[REMOVE ADS]

Anita Baker 2 hrs late and kicks Babyface off her show tonight

I'm reading a ton of complaints from fans on Facebook and Twitter who are at Anita's show tonight at the Prudential Center in NJ. Apparently ticketholders were held up waiting in lines outside, as the soundcheck was still going on past 7 pm. The show started almost 2 and a half hours late, sometime after 9. An emcee came on stage to explain that the show was starting late due to 'technical difficulties' and unfortunately Babyface, who has been opening for Anita on her tour, would not be able to perform tonight. The audience was quite upset and boo'ed. Babyface took to his Instagram to apologize and explained that he was asked not to perform tonight, in order to give Ms Baker 'the time and space' to perform her show in its entirety. Once she finally took the stage, I read that she continued to give the sound guys instructions, throughout the show. She also apologized for the lateness due to the technical difficulties and asked a Live Nation rep, who was standing in the wings, if he had apologized to the audience. Sounds like a bunch of her usual shenanigans and unprofessional diva behaviour. Hopefully she hasn't kicked Babyface off of her tour.
    Last edited by carlo; 05-10-2023 at 10:44 PM.

Babyface is getting a ton of support in the comments on his Instagram post, including from Stephanie Mills...

Name:  Screenshot_20230510_224334_Instagram.jpg
Views: 2740
Size:  70.2 KB
    Last edited by carlo; 05-10-2023 at 10:55 PM.

I'm just getting back to my hotel room after attending this very concert. Much of what was posted above was true.

The doors opened at 6pm and the concert was supposed to start at 7pm. When I attempted to go to my seat, an usher informed me that I couldn't go in because the artists had gotten in late and were doing a sound check. We could hear certain songs being played so it seemed things would be happening soon. They didn't end up letting the audience in until around 7:30 or so, as I recall. On stage, we could see Babyface's drumkit so there was no reason to think anything was wrong. But things just dragged and dragged with no explanation.

Then around 8:30 or so, the crew began dismantling Babyface's set, which resulted in a large boo from the audience as we knew that meant he wasn't going to appear. I assumed Babyface was cancelled because if both he and Anita performed their sets, the venue would probably go into overtime.

At this point, a rep from Live Nation [although I thought he said he rep'd the venue] came on stage and said that due to technical difficulties, Babyface wouldn't be performing but Anita would be. Again, there was a boo and I saw a couple of people leave. Anita finally came onstage around 9:15 after a stupidly long keyboard overture, followed by the rep introducing her, followed by another few wasted moments before she finally appeared.

All of the above said, I have to say Anita put on a great show and the audience loved her, singing along loud and often, a bit too often for my taste. Anita apologized for the difficulties, saying it was due to the video wall not working. In any event, she really did put on a great show. But I did feel her comments about the sound were a bit much. Technically, she seemed to know what she was speaking of but after a while, I think she should have stopped mentioning them as she sounded fine to the audience. It was the monitors on stage that she was having trouble with. It reminded me of one of her concerts I attended in the 80s where she did the same thing. I will say though that Anita wasn't nasty or rude with her requests, she was just rather specific.

Technical difficulties aside, I am glad that I went. Anita must have done three or four encores before finally leaving and I stayed until the very end.
    Last edited by reese; 05-11-2023 at 12:57 AM.

Wow. This leopard will never change her spots. I’d heard whispers about this from my partner last night. And I think we can safely say there’s no love lost between Stephanie and Anita—I remember Stephanie striking silent at the mention of Baker’s name in a viral “Breakfast Club” clip from earlier this year. Thanks for the info, carlo . And glad you enjoyed yourself regardless, reese.

Dang. Thanks for confirming all of this, Reese. I appreciate it. I'm glad that Anita still put on a good show, despite the drama leading up to when she hit the stage. I've noticed in recent times that she tends to open her show with a bunch of ad-libbing and improvising, in order to do her sound check and get her levels right... something that she should definitely be sorting out before the show. I think she is a vocal, musical and creative genius but sadly it seems that her negative reputation precedes her. I've heard many stories from a friend who used to live near her, in Michigan, and would often see her unkind interactions with fans, out in public.

This link has some of the Twitter feedback. They seem to blame Anita more than Live Nation. Was Anita late for the sound check?

https://theblackwallsttimes.com/2023...-is-sidelined/

Anita Baker is a fantastic vocal talent. She is probably one of the all time great soul/jazz vocalists but she is hands down the most difficult celebrity i have ever encountered, and that includes the likes of Diana, Mariah, Jennifer Holliday, Eddie Murphy and Bobby Brown. Babyface has dealt with this in a very dignified way. I feel sorry for anyone who encounters Ms Baker. I adore her music but abhor the woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Anita Baker is a fantastic vocal talent. She is probably one of the all time great soul/jazz vocalists but she is hands down the most difficult celebrity i have ever encountered, and that includes the likes of Diana, Mariah, Jennifer Holliday, Eddie Murphy and Bobby Brown. Babyface has dealt with this in a very dignified way. I feel sorry for anyone who encounters Ms Baker. I adore her music but abhor the woman.
    More difficult than Dame Shirley Bassey, BB?

BTW, I hear that this was not really Anita's fault. Apparently there were technical difficulties that delayed the start of the show. A decision was made that Babyface should not perform rather than have Anita truncate her show. Babyface is a good but he was the hired opening act, Anita was who people paid $$$ to see. I bought my tix to see her in LA later this year before any opening act was announced.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    More difficult than Dame Shirley Bassey, BB?

BTW, I hear that this was not really Anita's fault. Apparently there were technical difficulties that delayed the start of the show. A decision was made that Babyface should not perform rather than have Anita truncate her show. Babyface is a good but he was the hired opening act, Anita was who people paid $$$ to see. I bought my tix to see her in LA later this year before any opening act was announced.
    Definitely more difficult than Dame Shirley! Ms Bassey is a pussycat in comparison to Ms Baker but i am sure you will enjoy the show. The lady sure as hell knows how to entertain.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I'm just getting back to my hotel room after attending this very concert. Much of what was posted above was true.

The doors opened at 6pm and the concert was supposed to start at 7pm. When I attempted to go to my seat, an usher informed me that I couldn't go in because the artists had gotten in late and were doing a sound check. We could hear certain songs being played so it seemed things would be happening soon. They didn't end up letting the audience in until around 7:30 or so, as I recall. On stage, we could see Babyface's drumkit so there was no reason to think anything was wrong. But things just dragged and dragged with no explanation.

Then around 8:30 or so, the crew began dismantling Babyface's set, which resulted in a large boo from the audience as we knew that meant he wasn't going to appear. I assumed Babyface was cancelled because if both he and Anita performed their sets, the venue would probably go into overtime.

At this point, a rep from Live Nation [although I thought he said he rep'd the venue] came on stage and said that due to technical difficulties, Babyface wouldn't be performing but Anita would be. Again, there was a boo and I saw a couple of people leave. Anita finally came onstage around 9:15 after a stupidly long keyboard overture, followed by the rep introducing her, followed by another few wasted moments before she finally appeared.

All of the above said, I have to say Anita put on a great show and the audience loved her, singing along loud and often, a bit too often for my taste. Anita apologized for the difficulties, saying it was due to the video wall not working. In any event, she really did put on a great show. But I did feel her comments about the sound were a bit much. Technically, she seemed to know what she was speaking of but after a while, I think she should have stopped mentioning them as she sounded fine to the audience. It was the monitors on stage that she was having trouble with. It reminded me of one of her concerts I attended in the 80s where she did the same thing. I will say though that Anita wasn't nasty or rude with her requests, she was just rather specific.

Technical difficulties aside, I am glad that I went. Anita must have done three or four encores before finally leaving and I stayed until the very end.
    I'm glad that you had a good time, my valued-friend-here-Reese. Yet ... I have a different interpretation than some of us here. Baker is no better than you, me, Jordan Neely, or any other living person. It was your decision to stay and you had a great time; good for you! But ... I have a major issue with any person who devalues another person's time, regardless of that person's 'success', 'fame', whatever. My opinion is that Baker has earned herself more negative than positive karma with her behavior. She will find out! Stay well -

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Definitely more difficult than Dame Shirley! Ms Bassey is a pussycat in comparison to Ms Baker but i am sure you will enjoy the show. The lady sure as hell knows how to entertain.
    Ha ha ha! BB, you know Anita must be pretty awful to have her peers cast aspersions so quickly -- Stephanie Mills is usually a doll. Ironically, Stephanie did the same thing to Kelly Price [[another terror) as Anita is alleged to have done to Babyface. A few years back Stephanie was headlining a triple bill with Freddie Jackson and Kelly. The start of the show was delayed by hours. Freddie performed a full opening set and then Kelly was announced, her music played but she never took the stage. Stephanie started her performance about 20 mins later. Kelly took to social media saying she was in the wings ready to take the stage when the promoter stopped her.

Maybe Anita is bipolar or has BPD [[like Phyllis Hyman). I can't believe she is miserable just for the hell of it. Anyway, you are right she puts on a great show. Her music is a mainstay for me and I am very much looking forward to seeing her again.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Ha ha ha! BB, you know Anita must be pretty awful to have her peers cast aspersions so quickly -- Stephanie Mills is usually a doll. Ironically, Stephanie did the same thing to Kelly Price [[another terror) as Anita is alleged to have done to Babyface. A few years back Stephanie was headlining a triple bill with Freddie Jackson and Kelly. The start of the show was delayed by hours. Freddie performed a full opening set and then Kelly was announced, her music played but she never took the stage. Stephanie started her performance about 20 mins later. Kelly took to social media saying she was in the wings ready to take the stage when the promoter stopped her.

Maybe Anita is bipolar or has BPD [[like Phyllis Hyman). I can't believe she is miserable just for the hell of it. Anyway, you are right she puts on a great show. Her music is a mainstay for me and I am very much looking forward to seeing her again.
    I was not aware of the Stephanie/Kelly situation. I have never encountered Kelly but she is a very talented lady for sure.
    I am sure you will enjoy Ms Baker's show. I have never known her to be less than outstanding in a live setting .Be sure to post a review on here.

I find it hard to believe that an artist does this time after time and the fans still spend money to see her, oh well!!!!

Sound check

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    This link has some of the Twitter feedback. They seem to blame Anita more than Live Nation. Was Anita late for the sound check?

https://theblackwallsttimes.com/2023...-is-sidelined/
    My husband and I were seated up high in the press box seats. The only good thing about these seats is that they're cheap and we were allowed to go to our seats early. We were in our seats at 6:45 and the show was supposed to start at 7. There were elderly and disabled fans that stood for two hours without giving any reason why they could not go to their seats, so I was happy to be seated in the cheap seats. While my husband and I found our seats, Babyface background singers and dancers were rehearsing. Their sound and mics were fine. What we were told is that Anita was not only late, but she refused to perform unless Babyface left. We saw his instruments and mics being removed after waiting for over 2 hours. When Anita finally made her appearance her mic made high pitched annoying noise. She did not rehearse therefore there was no sound check. The audio issues are her fault. Between her shouting orders to the crew, relying on her fans to sing along or sometimes for her and being pissed off with the unprofessionalism of it all, I left after perhaps 4 songs. Her ardent fans were happy, but many left before and with us. There were also others demanding a refund.

All this reminds me of a Rick James concert I attended YEARS ago. This was after his Motown departure. He took the stage 2 hours late and gave no reason why he was late. By that time, many people had already left. I still remember him walking out onto the stage, looking out into the crowd and asking, "Where's everybody at?"!!

I also attended a Janet Jackson concert YEARS ago [[around the time of her Rhythm Nation album) and she was also roughly 2 - 2/12 hours late!

Quote Originally Posted by NativeNuYorker View Post
    My husband and I were seated up high in the press box seats. The only good thing about these seats is that they're cheap and we were allowed to go to our seats early. We were in our seats at 6:45 and the show was supposed to start at 7. There were elderly and disabled fans that stood for two hours without giving any reason why they could not go to their seats, so I was happy to be seated in the cheap seats. While my husband and I found our seats, Babyface background singers and dancers were rehearsing. Their sound and mics were fine. What we were told is that Anita was not only late, but she refused to perform unless Babyface left. We saw his instruments and mics being removed after waiting for over 2 hours. When Anita finally made her appearance her mic made high pitched annoying noise. She did not rehearse therefore there was no sound check. The audio issues are her fault. Between her shouting orders to the crew, relying on her fans to sing along or sometimes for her and being pissed off with the unprofessionalism of it all, I left after perhaps 4 songs. Her ardent fans were happy, but many left before and with us. There were also others demanding a refund.
    That's terrible, NativeNuYorker. Thanks for sharing and I'm sorry to read about your experience, and reading that disabled fans were forced to wait outside in line for so long. It seems that Ms Baker has had a consistent record for lateness and unprofessionalism. I saw clips from her Vegas shows last year and she did the same...she did no soundcheck beforehand and was ad-libbing a bunch for the first 15 mins of the show, giving instructions to the sound guys to adjust her levels. She openly acknowledged it to the audience and it seemed many in attendance didn't mind. However, if I had been there, I would have been annoyed, especially when I've seen her Vegas setlist was usually only 11 or 12 songs.

Concert tickets are so expensive these days, and so she should be respectful and mindful of the fact that her audience is paying good money to see her. Show up on time and give a proper show. Don't make people wait around and don't show up so late that you're compromising the quality of your show [ie. Cancelling the opening act and doing the soundcheck during your performance]. It's no wonder she hasn't put out an album in so many years. I don't think any record label or producer wants to work with her.
    Last edited by carlo; 05-16-2023 at 03:54 PM.

From RollingStoneMagazine.com-

ANITA BAKER HAS been getting into it with fans of fellow R&B legend Babyface on Twitter, sparring with his stans over a controversial concert that took place in Newark, New Jersey last month.

To set the scene, Baker has been playing shows throughout the year on her “Songstress” tour [the trek kicked off in February and dates have been scheduled intermittently through December]. Babyface was tapped to provide support, an inspired choice that put two R&B greats on the same bill.

By all accounts, the shows had been a hit — at least until the May 10 gig at the Prudential Center in Newark. According to reports at the time, there were serious technical issues, which delayed the show by about two hours. When everything was finally ready to go, it was decided that Babyface’s set would be called off, so that Baker would have enough time to perform her headlining set.

That decision, however, appears to have not sat very well with some of Babyface’s fans. And while, sure, initial grumbling is understandable, it appears that, one month later, there’s still some consternation. That frustration may have been reignited by Babyface’s recent “Tiny Desk Concert,” but either way, Baker’s timeline has ostensibly been filled with complaints, and she’s held nothing back in arguing her position.

“It was 9:30pm,” Baker wrote of the Newark gig on Twitter yesterday, June 11. “*Contractually?… It was WAAAY Past time 4 the Headline Performer, to be On Stage/Anita Baker Support Act did Not Perform. I have No Contract with Support ActNot my Call. I Did what i was *Contracted 2 do & Love, as Headline Performer, of my Sold Out Concert.”

In some follow-up tweets, Baker did appear to take some shots at Babyface for what happened, saying his “equipment was On Stage For HOURS” and wondering, “Why did they, Not Perform? I/Anita did Nothing to Prevent their Live/to Track, Performance.… Other ppl? Tech issue?”

But what really seemed to set people off was Baker’s decision to repeatedly refer to Babyface as “Support Act” — which is technically what he is in the context of “The Songstress” tour, but also a wild way to refer to one of the most accomplished songwriters and producers in pop history.

Nevertheless, Baker persisted, telling one Babyface fan, “Dearest one. You are Not, privy to *The Contracts*. Yes, Babyface is Special Guest/Support Act, on My Tour. This False Narrative, of A Co-headliner is creating Unrealistic Expectations & Aggression, from his fans towards me. He should tell you guys, the Truth.”

The tweets only got wilder from there. Baker coined an extremely Trump-ian nickname for Babyface’s fans, “Kenny’s Crazies,” then accused them of bullying her and demanded Babyface himself call them off. “I have been Only Kind and Supportive, of You, as the Special Guest/Support, on My Tour,” she said.

There appeared to be some more direct barbs aimed at Babyface and his team, too. Baker, at one point, appeared to suggest the hitmaker “hates” Beyoncé [??] and later alleged, “There is A White man, behind these Grown Black Men… harrassing Me & Gaslighting, My Fans. Because he Can't take over, this Tour… So? He wants to Destroy it. Kenny’s Crazy Narcissist @Babyface call off, your Boys.”

Rolling Stone has reached out to Babyface’s rep for comment. “The Songstress” tour is set to resume June 30 in Chicago and, as it stands, Babyface is still scheduled to serve as Baker’s “Support Act.”

This is insanity!! Thanks for posting that article as background info, Motown Eddie. I didn't know about those Twitter posts from Anita. However, per her latest post below, it seems Babyface is no longer on the tour. I don't buy her excuse, saying it's due to her own personal safety because of threats and online bullying from his fans. I think he had enough of her BS.

Name:  FB_IMG_1686673682252.jpg
Views: 1742
Size:  97.5 KB

I'm glad the singers I loved were never this unprofessional.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    This is insanity!! Thanks for posting that article as background info, Motown Eddie. I didn't know about those Twitter posts from Anita. However, per her latest post below, it seems Babyface is no longer on the tour. I don't buy her excuse, saying it's due to her own personal safety because of threats and online bullying from his fans. I think he had enough of her BS.
    You're Welcome Carlo. And while I enjoy Anita Baker's work, she made a Big Mistake with this disagreement with Babyface and People Are Going To Remember This next time she goes on tour.

she's quite spunky. i kinda like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    You're Welcome Carlo. And while I enjoy Anita Baker's work, she made a Big Mistake with this disagreement with Babyface and People Are Going To Remember This next time she goes on tour.
    I agree, Motown Eddie. I love her musical work as well, but I think this unprofessional behaviour is going to prove to others that she is difficult to work with. I can't imagine that agents and promoters will be running to her, to have her sign contracts for future residencies and tours. This kind of behaviour is too risky for them. I guess time will tell. The fact that Babyface has stayed silent is quite telling.

I agree, Motown Eddie. I love her musical work as well, but I think this unprofessional behaviour is going to prove to others that she is difficult to work with. I can't imagine that agents and promoters will be running to her, to have her sign contracts for future residencies and tours. This kind of behaviour is too risky for them. I guess time will tell. The fact that Babyface has stayed silent is quite telling.
    He actually made a very classy, true-to-form statement this afternoon, apologizing to the fans while saying nothing but positive things about Baker. We all should be as gracious...I wouldn't have been so charitable.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    He actually made a very classy, true-to-form statement this afternoon, apologizing to the fans while saying nothing but positive things about Baker. We all should be as gracious...I wouldn't have been so charitable.
    Thanks Sans...I ended up seeing his statement shortly after I made that post. I agree that his statement was very classy. Here it is, for those who haven't seen it.

Name:  FyhuhFTacAEDWxS.jpeg.jpg
Views: 1701
Size:  60.4 KB

That statement shows Babyface putting Michelle Obama's mantra of "when they go low, we go high" into practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    That statement shows Babyface putting Michelle Obama's mantra of "when they go low, we go high" into practice.
    think so??

I find it mamby pamby. If there's so much "love and respect" why is he leaving her high and dry while his fans harass her ....call them off at the very least and if her claims are true ... that it was he and his equipment that screwed up the evening .... he needs to own it.

Clearing the air would do a lot more than vapid platitudes.

Babyface was asked about the controversy on the Jason Lee Show, which aired yesterday on Revolt TV. You can watch the interview here, and he is asked about the controversy with Anita, around the 28 minute mark...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04jVZe_ikKk

Last edited by carlo; 06-22-2023 at 10:10 AM.

never heard of Jason Lee, but that was a great interview. He kept getting a lot of info out of Babyface and Babyface has a very positive attitude. He won't speak bad of Anita and perhaps none of it was her fault.

Trying to read between the lines and it seems that perhaps at least some of the blame should be put on Live Nation, the promotors.

To me, Live Nation has a troubled past. They also own Ticketmaster, and we all know of the Taylor Swift fiasco. And most Broadway shows are no longer available through Ticketmaster. I am sure the theatre owners have their reasons. And Live Nation used to be TNA/SFX. They did not manage that infamous Diana Ross and Supremes Return to Love tour very well either.

Sometimes it is the promoters who are the problem, not the artist. Maybe that is what happened here.

Thanks for posting this interview Carlo.

Babyface was asked about the controversy on the Jason Lee Show, which aired yesterday on Revolt TV. You can watch the interview here, and he is asked about the controversy with Anita, around the 28 minute mark...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04jVZe_ikKk

Jason Lee did a great job, prodding the topic until every issue was discussed. And Babyface calmly replied to each question.

It still makes no sense that because of her own production problems that occurred that night , Anita concluded that Babyface needed to be kicked off of her tour.

But Babyface has stepped up to the plate and discussed the issue head on, and listening to him, I see no reason to not take him at face value.

If Anita did the same it might make the story sound different, but she hasn't.

Based on this interview she is illogical, and insecure.