[REMOVE ADS]

Emily King - Special Occasion

Not sure if anyone else on the forum is a fan of Emily King? She's quite the soulful singer and heavily underrated IMO. She has a new album out called, "Special Occasion". Here she is singing that title track, in case anyone is interested in checking her out. She was in my neck of the woods last night and I regrettably didn't catch her show due to it being a work-night, which was also the case when she came to town on her previous tour. Next time!!

https://youtu.be/_zDaPapFoIE

Carlo, if they had added some horns and strings, I think I would really like her. That song is catchy and would really grow on me after a few hearings. Funny, I expected her to be singing a cover version of Smokey & The Miracles' "Special Occasion"!

Glad you liked the song, Philles. Yes, you're right that some extra instrumentation would add to it. I love the horns that kick in near the end of this track. I really like this latest album from her, as well as her previous album called "Scenery". Here's a great song called, "Remind Me" from her Scenery album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksHbSw4VEq4

Last edited by carlo; 05-11-2023 at 08:00 AM.

She's gone down a more generic route on her last two albums. I miss the more quirky Emily of "Seven" and "The Switch" days...

A few years ago a friend invited me to go to a concert and it was Emily King. I had never heard of her at the time but I was blown away by the show. I've been a fan ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    A few years ago a friend invited me to go to a concert and it was Emily King. I had never heard of her at the time but I was blown away by the show. I've been a fan ever since.
    I love reading this, glencro. It's always great when someone introduces us to a new artist and we end up becoming a fan. A friend of mine was also the one who introduced me to Emily King's music.

Quote Originally Posted by JM27 View Post
    She's gone down a more generic route on her last two albums. I miss the more quirky Emily of "Seven" and "The Switch" days...
    I will have to give those two albums another listen, JM. I've listened to them briefly on streaming, but I don't think from start to finish.

They tower over these last two albums by comparison, with truly inspired songwriting and production.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I love reading this, glencro. It's always great when someone introduces us to a new artist and we end up becoming a fan. A friend of mine was also the one who introduced me to Emily King's music.
    Yes, that's what real friends are for