[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Diana Ross 2023 Spring/Summer US tour

Diana Ross is back out there performing for the next couple of months as she did a show in Chicago area. Thought I create this thread to discuss the shows.

Somebody posted a real good press review on facebook from the weekend but i cant find the darn thing. LOL

So far,what I've read, good show , but same old show.
    No new songs
    I will survive ...still in of course

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    So far,what I've read, good show , but same old show.
    No new songs
    I will survive ...still in of course
    I read Touch Me In The Morning is back in.

https://www.facebook.com/reel/242922...?s=single_unit
    Encore for Hard Rock Show in Gary, Indiana
    Great voice and new material!!!

That was nice of her to do! Fun!

What is this song?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    What is this song?
    It's "Tomorrow" from her Thank you album. Rob, I thought you were a Ross fan

Miss Ross is real spry and fit for darned near 80 years young.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    It's "Tomorrow" from her Thank you album. Rob, I thought you were a Ross fan
    I am but……..

Kind of an old fart that started daycaring grandchildren in Covid

I’ve never listened to TY all the way through - I like If The World Just Danced and TY but they seem a little manufactured to me

I think I might take CTMEOY over those two songs

It’s pleasing to see she’s gotten over the illness, or was it family tragedy that prevented her from attending the Grammy awards.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I am but……..

Kind of an old fart that started daycaring grandchildren in Covid

I’ve never listened to TY all the way through - I like If The World Just Danced and TY but they seem a little manufactured to me

I think I might take CTMEOY over those two songs
    You haven't played the album all the way through?! Even worse that you're babysitting your grandkids and not using that opportunity to play Ms Ross' new album in the background, to influence their musical tastes! Hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    It’s pleasing to see she’s gotten over the illness, or was it family tragedy that prevented her from attending the Grammy awards.
    I don't know where that 'insider info' came from, but I've never believed any of it.

I don't know where that 'insider info' came from, but I've never believed any of it.
    Me neither carlo, just happy to see her looking well.

Me neither carlo, just happy to see her looking well.
    It came from my friend Bluebrock who has inside information and worked with Miss Ross for many years. His information has been real valuable to this here forum and always accurate. Bluebrock is a man of great integrity.

Fondly,

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    It came from my friend Bluebrock who has inside information and worked with Miss Ross for many years. His information has been real valuable to this here forum and always accurate. Bluebrock is a man of great integrity.

Fondly,

Roberta
    Thank you, Roberta. I agree.

You haven't played the album all the way through?! Even worse that you're babysitting your grandkids and not using that opportunity to play Ms Ross' new album in the background, to influence their musical tastes! Hehe
    Most of the time is outside - snow soccer, skating, regular soccer, hitting pop flys. There are 2 kids channels on Sirius.

Retirement is coming so I might go back to listening to more Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post

Fondly,

Roberta
    I seem to remember there were a number of fans speculating all sorts of reasons for her no show at the time. On this occasion, Bluebrock was unable to divulge any inside information other then she had been suffering throat problems when touring the UK the previous year. Everything was, and still is speculation.

I seem to remember there were a number of fans speculating all sorts of reasons for her no show at the time. On this occasion, Bluebrock was unable to divulge any inside information other then she had been suffering throat problems when touring the UK the previous year. Everything was, and still is speculation.
    Here's some of what Bluebrock contributed to all the speculation at the time in February:
    Thank you Roberta. I was told she had been under the weather for several weeks. She was most certainly not a well lady during her UK tour last year and she cancelled a couple of TV slots as a result....
    I was hoping to stay out of this toxic subject, but after several days of biting my tongue and reading everyone's opinions on the subject i feel compelled to break my silence and reluctantly contribute to the discussion...
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion on this, but i feel i must reluctantly offer some kind of defence for the "behaviour" of Miss Ross.
    I was very concerned about the wellbeing of Miss Ross on her UK tour of last year, and i am more concerned than ever about it now.
    The lady is 78 years old and not in good health. I have it on very good authority that she was planning on attending the awards just a few short weeks ago. Her no show causes me considerable anxiety.
    Perhaps, just perhaps she was not well enough to attend.
    You may well say she should have issued a statement confirming her non attendance. You may well have a valid point there, but if the Ross family did not wish to make a public comment then that is good enough for me...
    By all means be disappointed. I share your disappointment but she did the right thing for her own wellbeing by not attending the ceremony in my opinion.
    If the family wish to share any information with us they will do so when they feel the time is right. May i also thank Sup Fan for his support and disrection during our private conversations on the subject this week. You have been a rock.
    Thank you for listening, and best regards to you all.
    Count me among the disappointed that Diana Ross was not there to receive the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award for the Supremes. I believe Bluebrock is probably the forum member that is/has been the closest to Diana Ross. I believe what he has contributed and I understand how he feels about our speculations.

I can understand that the questions and comments have hurt feelings and I have no doubt he was connected with Diana.

It creates an issue on all these kinds of Forums when people say “I know something and I can confirm this is fact but I can’t say more than 5% of what I know”.

When you talk like that you end up getting all the comments and questions and disbelief you see and hear.

It leads me to think in those circumstances, it’s just better to say nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    Here's some of what Bluebrock contributed to all the speculation at the time in February:

Count me among the disappointed that Diana Ross was not there to receive the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award for the Supremes. I believe Bluebrock is probably the forum member that is/has been the closest to Diana Ross. I believe what he has contributed and I understand how he feels about our speculations.
    Are you suggesting that fans shouldn’t really speculate if it doesn’t happen to correspond with yours or someone else’s personal opinion?. That’s called arrogant.
    “Perhaps just perhaps she was not well enough to attend”. I agree, it is a possibility, but then there are also umpteen other reasons why she might not have attended. You don’t know, I don’t know, in fact nobody knows for sure.
    Until we do know for sure, anybody and everybody has the right to form their own opinion and dare i say speculate. It’s called thinking for oneself.

Are you suggesting that fans shouldn’t really speculate if it doesn’t happen to correspond with yours or someone else’s personal opinion?. That’s called arrogant.
    “Perhaps just perhaps she was not well enough to attend”. I agree, it is a possibility, but then there are also umpteen other reasons why she might not have attended. You don’t know, I don’t know, in fact nobody knows for sure.
    Until we do know for sure, anybody and everybody has the right to form their own opinion and dare i say speculate. It’s called thinking for oneself.
    Where did I say we fans shoudn't speculate? I was very disappointed and of course I speculated why she couldn't/wouldn't be present to accept this most significant award. Who didn't? I don't usually wade into these types of discussions, but I can and do think for myself. I read Bluebrock's unique perspective of someone who at least knew Diana Ross and I think I can understand how he feels about all of our opinions/speculations. It's called empathy for others.

I wish Miss Ross had been there at The Supremes Grammy award but I dont talk to her and if she was ill then she was ill. If she wasnt at chose not to go then thats her business and betwwen her and her conciseness. Not really my business. For a lady thats almost 80 shes rather remarkable. Fore someone who will be 80 and can still sell out stadiums in Europe and concert halls in the US without doing a lick of press thats also very remarkable imo.

Where did I say we fans shoudn't speculate? I was very disappointed and of course I speculated why she couldn't/wouldn't be present to accept this most significant award. Who didn't? I don't usually wade into these types of discussions, but I can and do think for myself. I read Bluebrock's unique perspective of someone who at least knew Diana Ross and I think I can understand how he feels about all of our opinions/speculations. It's called empathy for others.
    I like to think
    I'm empathetic lucky, but I'm confused .... what is it we're supposed to feel about Bluebrock concerning how he feels about opinions about Diana Ross blowing off the Grammy for those back-up singers from her distant and apparently forgotten past??
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 05-12-2023 at 07:03 PM.

IMHO, I see nothing in these or any posts that suggest any person is an insider or has insider information. This despite many posts cleverly written to suggest one has insider information, but those posts are nothing but words anyone could wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I like to think
    I'm empathetic lucky, but I'm confused .... what is it we're supposed to feel about Bluebrock concerning how he feels about opinions about Diana Ross blowing off the Grammy for those back-up singers from her distant and apparently forgotten past??
    Hi Boogie, I try to understand that Bluebrock likely has thoughts and opinions [and maybe even facts] based on his past relationship with Diana Ross that most of us here don't have. We all can feel what we want about how he feels about our opinions and speculations on this Grammy issue. I believe him at his word that he has known and worked with the lady. [I know there are those here that are skeptical, at best, about him and what he has shared or can't/won't share in this forum.] My own feeling is that Bluebrock is concerned about the person he worked with [her physical, mental and emotional states] and not particularly about her "blowing off the Grammy for those back-up singers...from her past".

Hi Boogie, I try to understand that Bluebrock likely has thoughts and opinions [and maybe even facts] based on his past relationship with Diana Ross that most of us here don't have. We all can feel what we want about how he feels about our opinions and speculations on this Grammy issue. I believe him at his word that he has known and worked with the lady. [I know there are those here that are skeptical, at best, about him and what he has shared or can't/won't share in this forum.] My own feeling is that Bluebrock is concerned about the person he worked with [her physical, mental and emotional states] and not particularly about her "blowing off the Grammy for those back-up singers...from her past".
    ah ok.

I thought it was being said that we needed to tip- toe around for some reason to avoid postings that might affect Bluebrocks feelings. I think like all of us, he's a big boy and would probably even agree with my observation that at times when it comes to Diana Ross, he can be the among the bluntest.
    I would find it hard to believe that amongst regular posters here there are any that are not concerned about her physical , mental, and emotional state.

Back on topic: We have tickets for Radio City! I haven’t seen her live in 16 years, and my partner’s never seen her, so we’re super excited!

My goodness gracious, do you know how pompous you sound by insinuating others are less concerned about her mental and physical health. I for one have been a lifelong fan and care very much indeed.
    I really don’t see the point in re-posting another fans speculations as if it’s the holy gospel, being clearly irritated if others don’t happen to agree.
    My own point of view is that someone or something pissed her off and she chose not to attend. I really don’t think that shows any less empathy then deciding she was ill.
    Clearly you do.

My goodness gracious, do you know how pompous you sound by insinuating others are less concerned about her mental and physical health. I for one have been a lifelong fan and care very much indeed.
    I really don’t see the point in re-posting another fans speculations as if it’s the holy gospel, being clearly irritated if others don’t happen to agree.
    My own point of view is that someone or something pissed her off and she chose not to attend. I really don’t think that shows any less empathy then deciding she was ill.
    Clearly you do.
    Do you know how defensive you're being? I did not insinuate anything about others being less concerned about Diana Ross' mental and physical health. I said I felt that Bluebrock may have been more concerned possibly because he knew and worked with her.
    I re-posted because I, for one, don't remember the details and context of someone's posts and thought others might be interested. No, I don't think anyone's posts are "holy gospel"!

I didn't judge your point of view as having less empathy. Clearly you think so. I respect and even agree with some of the points of view about this Grammy no-show issue. As I said, I was very disappointed she or anyone in her family wasn't there to accept the once in a Lifetime Achevement award. I will leave this discussion at that.

Do you know how defensive you're being? I did not insinuate anything about others being less concerned about Diana Ross' mental and physical health. I said I felt that Bluebrock may have been more concerned possibly because he knew and worked with her.
    I re-posted because I, for one, don't remember the details and context of someone's posts and thought others might be interested. No, I don't think anyone's posts are "holy gospel"!

I didn't judge your point of view as having less empathy. Clearly you think so. I respect and even agree with some of the points of view about this Grammy no-show issue. As I said, I was very disappointed she or anyone in her family wasn't there to accept the once in a Lifetime Achevement award. I will leave this discussion at that.
    Not defensive at all, just clearing up a point. By saying one person is more concerned, your saying others are less concerned. People you know nothing about.
    I don’t think your being totally honest when you say you re-posted because you thought others would be interested. If that were true you would not have taken the time to highlight the text that coincided with your own point of view.
    Perhaps this discussion is best left at that.

Not defensive at all, just clearing up a point. By saying one person is more concerned, your saying others are less concerned. People you know nothing about.
    I don’t think your being totally honest when you say you re-posted because you thought others would be interested. If that were true you would not have taken the time to highlight the text that coincided with your own point of view.
    Perhaps this discussion is best left at that.
    Already left!

Already left!
    Not quite it would seem.

Here is the setlist from last night's show at Penchega Resort, in Temecula, CA. This was the first stop on the tour. Looks like the same show [which I fully expected], with the addition of Chain Reaction.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/diana...-1ba6fd08.html

I know Ollie will be pleased to see that I Will Survive continues to make the cut. Lol.

Here is the setlist from last night's show at Penchega Resort, in Temecula, CA. This was the first stop on the tour. Looks like the same show [which I fully expected], with the addition of Chain Reaction.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/diana...-1ba6fd08.html

I know Ollie will be pleased to see that I Will Survive continues to make the cut. Lol.
    Beyond delighted carlo lol. I fled the vicinity the moment she started into “At first i was afraid i was petrified” in concert last year.
    Pleased to see “The Look Of Love” is back which usually sounds better then the recorded version. Never really enjoyed the live, sped-up version of “Chain Reaction”.
    I wonder how many songs are actually being performed live?.

The last shows I've seen of Ross didn't include Missing You and Endless Love -- particularly nice to have Missing You back on the setlist.

I wonder when our loved one is in London if she will record that album

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    The last shows I've seen of Ross didn't include Missing You and Endless Love -- particularly nice to have Missing You back on the setlist.
    Thanks for pointing that out, Jaap. I totally missed Missing You in this list. Glad to see it's back too, along with Endless Love.

Beyond delighted carlo lol. I fled the vicinity the moment she started into “At first i was afraid i was petrified” in concert last year.
    Lol

Never really enjoyed the live, sped-up version of “Chain Reaction”.
    I agree. I prefer the studio version. For me, the sped-up arrangement of the live version is missing the punch that the recorded version has. I think that has to do with the intense drum and synth, layered Gibb background vocals and Diana's soaring vocal towards the end of the track, all of which have been missing from any live version I've heard.

I heard from my friend and fellow SDF'er Sophisticated Soul, who was at last night's show, that Diana also performed Good Morning Heartache and It's Hard For Me To Say, both of which are missing from the setlist contained in the link that I posted above. After Missing You, she talked a bit about Tina Turner, Mary Wilson and other Motown artists who passed away over the years.

Thanks for pointing that out, Jaap. I totally missed Missing You in this list. Glad to see it's back too, along with Endless Love.
    Carlo, thanks for sharing but this set list is not complete. It was reported the show was over 2 hours long and she also did “It’s so hard to say”. I’m so excited she added back “Endless love” and especially “Missing you”

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Carlo, thanks for sharing but this set list is not complete. It was reported the show was over 2 hours long and she also did “It’s so hard to say”. I’m so excited she added back “Endless love” and especially “Missing you”
    Sorry I just saw your post above.

I heard from my friend and fellow SDF'er Sophisticated Soul, who was at last night's show, that Diana also performed Good Morning Heartache and It's Hard For Me To Say, both of which are missing from the setlist contained in the link that I posted above. After Missing You, she talked a bit about Tina Turner, Mary Wilson and other Motown artists who passed away over the years.
    Nice to hear; thanks for this

She does "chain reaction" relatively regularly in the US.
    I have even find an interview where she stated "it did well in the US but nothing to compare here [[UK)".

Has it gained some recognition with time?

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    She does "chain reaction" relatively regularly in the US.
    I have even find an interview where she stated "it did well in the US but nothing to compare here [[UK)".

Has it gained some recognition with time?
    It did well on the US Dance Club chart but that's it. Myself, I don't think I've seen her perform it in concert in the US post the "I Love You" tour.
    Last edited by reese; 06-11-2023 at 08:54 AM.

Same here, Reese. I've seen Diana 10 times in the past 20+ years and I've never seen her perform "Chain Reaction". I remember she first added it back into her show on the Tom Joyner Cruise that she did several years back. Since then, I think she may have done it only a very small handful of times in her US shows.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    It did well on the US Dance Club chart but that's it. Myself, I don't think I've seen her perform it in concert in the US post the "I Love You" tour.
    I think it was on the "Return to love" tour with the Supremes

I think it was on the "Return to love" tour with the Supremes
    It might have been. The set list for that tour changed at times, especially when it came to Diana's solo material. Scherrie and Lynda even accompanied her on UPSIDE DOWN on at least one show.

To my knowledge, this is the only performance with the original playback. Maybe a variation of the playback since it seems a bit different.

To my knowledge, this is the only performance with the original playback. Maybe a variation of the playback since it seems a bit different.

She makes it sound like hard work.