[REMOVE ADS]

Reflecting on Mary Wilson on Dancing With The Stars

I was waiting to discuss this. Definitely, Mary Wilson did not deserve to be the first to go home. I thought, at the time, she would last until week 4 at the very least. She danced well, even if there were minor things that could have been better. Then I thought this was a popularity contest. Odom and Spicer were horrible and stayed far too long but stayed because of the Kardashians and MAGA supporters. The general public wasn't thinking of the Supremes in 2019. Plus, as much as I loved Mary, she was not popular because she spoke up on tv and in books. From 1986 on there was a fanbase that turned into Diana vs Mary and Mary vs Diana. Those fans probably made sure to vote for others, especially in light of Dreamgirl and RTL. Plus, I think Mary was spreading herself too thin what with the many television appearances, promoting her book Supreme Glamour and keeping her concert schedule going.
    I know many on this forum are not her fans, but surely she did not deserve to go home first or even be in the bottom 2 the first week. just reflecting....

I was certainly hoping that Mary would last longer but I wasn't surprised. Shows like this and AMERICAN IDOL and others aren't always reflections of ability. It comes down to who is currently popular or who might have a large voting fan base. And I admit that I have never voted for anyone on these shows.

On the flip side, it nothing else, Mary's stint on DWTS still reminded people that she was still around and ready to entertain.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    I was waiting to discuss this. Definitely, Mary Wilson did not deserve to be the first to go home. I thought, at the time, she would last until week 4 at the very least. She danced well, even if there were minor things that could have been better. Then I thought this was a popularity contest. Odom and Spicer were horrible and stayed far too long but stayed because of the Kardashians and MAGA supporters. The general public wasn't thinking of the Supremes in 2019. Plus, as much as I loved Mary, she was not popular because she spoke up on tv and in books. From 1986 on there was a fanbase that turned into Diana vs Mary and Mary vs Diana. Those fans probably made sure to vote for others, especially in light of Dreamgirl and RTL. Plus, I think Mary was spreading herself too thin what with the many television appearances, promoting her book Supreme Glamour and keeping her concert schedule going.
    I know many on this forum are not her fans, but surely she did not deserve to go home first or even be in the bottom 2 the first week. just reflecting....
    Interesting comments jim. As far as I know it was never screened here in the UK, so can’t really comment. I suppose just getting onto the show was an an achievement in itself.
    I wonder if Diana would have faired any better?.

I wonder if she would have lasted longer in the competition if she had gone on the show 10-15 years earlier when she was a bit younger and bit more spry?

I'm sure another factor that caused viewers not to support her was everytime back stage or when she finished her dance and went before the judges to get her evaluation, she would play up to the cameras with big huge hammy expressions. For those who followed Mary over the years, we could say "that's Mary being Mary--she loves being on TV", but I can imagine those who didn't know who she was or haven't paid much attention to her over the decades would think that Mary was coming across as desperate or trying too hard to get people to like her.

I believe she was lucky to have gotten on the show at her age

Her age acted against her

Being overly vivacious comes across as desperate to make an impression - it always did.

I honestly think if it was judged only on ability, Mary would have lasted a few more weeks. I don't think her "mugging" and "vivaciousness" cost her votes. Both Valerie Harper and Cloris Leachman were as old or older. The main thing is voting. The Supremes fans are basically in many camps-Diana, Mary, Flo, the 70's group and they are quite splintered, very few like all. Mary just didn't have that huge national following. Had she appeared earlier, perhaps Motown 25,Dreamgirl and RTL would have also worked against her. The thing is that Mary should not have gone home first when Odom and Spicer were simply horrible. Mary was quite decent. The Kardashian fans and MAGA fans voted for them so they were safe when they should have gone home. Spicer was controversial,host Bergeron even commented that he didn't feel he should have been on there. Still, the show provided Mary a national platform and she used it to sell Supreme Glamour and promote a stamp for Florence, which is still unrealized. Here is the dance that sent her home, not her best but not worth being in the bottom:

I honestly think if it was judged only on ability, Mary would have lasted a few more weeks. I don't think her "mugging" and "vivaciousness" cost her votes. Both Valerie Harper and Cloris Leachman were as old or older. The main thing is voting. The Supremes fans are basically in many camps-Diana, Mary, Flo, the 70's group and they are quite splintered, very few like all. Mary just didn't have that huge national following. Had she appeared earlier, perhaps Motown 25,Dreamgirl and RTL would have also worked against her. The thing is that Mary should not have gone home first when Odom and Spicer were simply horrible. Mary was quite decent. The Kardashian fans and MAGA fans voted for them so they were safe when they should have gone home. Spicer was controversial,host Bergeron even commented that he didn't feel he should have been on there. Still, the show provided Mary a national platform and she used it to sell Supreme Glamour and promote a stamp for Florence, which is still unrealized. Here is the dance that sent her home, not her best but not worth being in the bottom:
    Based on the performance in the above clip Mary should have been put through to the next round IMO. Like all of those who worked for the FORMER insurrectionist inciting President Sean Spicer is a vile human being and a real bad dancer but the MAGAts voted him through every week.

I honestly think if it was judged only on ability, Mary would have lasted a few more weeks. I don't think her "mugging" and "vivaciousness" cost her votes. [...] Still, the show provided Mary a national platform and she used it to sell Supreme Glamour and promote a stamp for Florence, which is still unrealized.
    I think this is the bottom line. Regardless of where she ended up, it was good PR to have her on a highly watched show to coincide with the promotion and release of Supreme Glamour. Even just as a reminder of who she was for the general public who may only have a passing familiarity with The Supremes. Of all the reality TV shows out there, this was one of the better platforms for someone of her stature and background.

I remember there was talk about having her on after Gladys Knight had a good run some years before, so it's good that she was able to do this given the time she had left.