[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Should Diana Record Another Album

Although i did/do quite enjoy the last album, age, along with general wear and tear have reduced her instrument to something quite different from the voice we fell in love with.
    Should “Thank you” be her last effort, leaving us with a wealth of wonderful recordings?.
    Personally i’m in two minds, but “TY” did contain some rather strained and wobbly moments.

Not sure if....or how well the album sold
    She really toured UK ,so I think it did well there, but it didn't seem to do well here
    But Diana just seem to disappear from view once again.
    Honestly, I think she could do one more but...would have to be the right producer.
    I think the symphony album is still on the table but I think they may have decided to use her original vocals, which in this case ,is a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Not sure if....or how well the album sold
    She really toured UK ,so I think it did well there, but it didn't seem to do well here
    But Diana just seem to disappear from view once again.
    Honestly, I think she could do one more but...would have to be the right producer.
    I think the symphony album is still on the table but I think they may have decided to use her original vocals, which in this case ,is a good idea
    I was thinking more from a fans personal perspective as opposed to how well the album sold. Who would you like to see as producer?.
    What makes you think the “Symphony” album is still a possibility david?. Do you have any new info?.

I haven't listened to THANK YOU in a while. But I have seen her in concert recently and I thought she sounded fine. So I would say yes, she should continue to record.

I have no idea who I would pair her with but I always thought a nice project would have been tackling the Stevie Wonder songbook. I enjoyed her renditions of his songs RIBBON IN THE SKY and BLAME IT ON THE SUN.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I haven't listened to THANK YOU in a while. But I have seen her in concert recently and I thought she sounded fine. So I would say yes, she should continue to record.

I have no idea who I would pair her with but I always thought a nice project would have been tackling the Stevie Wonder songbook. I enjoyed her renditions of his songs RIBBON IN THE SKY and BLAME IT ON THE SUN.
    I have always thought that Diana would make a great rendition of Stevie's You And I from Talking Book. Its low vocal key would be ideal for her maturing voice. A Diana Sings Stevie album gets my vote!

Last year while in UK ,she was supposed to record new vocals but, came down with a throat infection.
    It was decided to put off the recording and then to possibly use original vocals, unless she has returned to UK to do so.
    I have not heard that she did.
    I know Decca did ask for another album.
    Not sure if the Symphony album would be considered such or if they required an album of new material.
    As far as producer, good question.
    I am not a professional music critic but I would like Lionel Richie to possibly take the reigns .,or val Simpson.
    I like Diana's work with Ashford and Simpson , and I think The Boss is one of her best albums.
    The thank you album was good. I don't like when she goes syrupy on us.a few songs were too sugary but overall, I thought it was good.
    I liked her duet with Rod,,...got a crush on you.
    I would not mind her recording a few classics. Or an entire album..
    I also think dance music would be good.
    I liked the remix Not Over You Yet as well as her current song If The World Would Dance.
    I also think she needs to do some PR. She does same shows like Today, the View.
    Not sure why she doesn't appear on younger shows...Ellen, Kelly Clarkson and such. These shows attract a more younger audience while the View attracts ,I think older.imo.
    Last edited by daviddh; 05-07-2023 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    I have always thought that Diana would make a great rendition of Stevie's You And I from Talking Book. Its low vocal key would be ideal for her maturing voice. A Diana Sings Stevie album gets my vote!
    I really like the concept of a Stevie album, but would have preferred it twenty years ago before the decline in her voice, when she could really do justice to the songs.
    I feel the same when listening to some of the tracks from “TY”, particularly the ballads. For that reason a dance album would get my vote when the quality of vocals are not under quite as much scrutiny.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post

Would love for her to do a Stevie songbook. That would be awsome

My vote is yes she should. I don't know why she doesn't record more.

I love the idea of her taking on the Stevie songbook, but like Ollie, I feel like it would be at least 20 years too late for her to actually do the material justice.

I tried looking for the post I made in another thread recently where I opined about what album Diana should do next, but try and try as I have, I can't find what thread it was. Anyway, I was going to be lazy and just copy and paste the post here, but since I can't find it, I have to do the work of typing my thoughts out and honestly, I'm a bit pissed about it.

Anywho, I would like her to revisit her own catalog and reinterpret the songs in a jazz and blues vein. Such as:

A Breath Taking Guy
    I Thought It Took A Little Time
    Where Did Our Love Go
    All the Befores
    I Heard a Love Song
    You Were the One
    Never Again

I have find her latter recordings not very good because of her voice

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    My vote is yes she should. I don't know why she doesn't record more.

I love the idea of her taking on the Stevie songbook, but like Ollie, I feel like it would be at least 20 years too late for her to actually do the material justice.

I tried looking for the post I made in another thread recently where I opined about what album Diana should do next, but try and try as I have, I can't find what thread it was. Anyway, I was going to be lazy and just copy and paste the post here, but since I can't find it, I have to do the work of typing my thoughts out and honestly, I'm a bit pissed about it.

Anywho, I would like her to revisit her own catalog and reinterpret the songs in a jazz and blues vein. Such as:

A Breath Taking Guy
    I Thought It Took A Little Time
    Where Did Our Love Go
    All the Befores
    I Heard a Love Song
    You Were the One
    Never Again
    I remember your post Ran, but was coming more from the point as to whether fans would really like another album when taking into account where her voice is now.
    There was clearly a fair amount of technical wizardry going on with “TY”, and her recorded voice now sounds significantly different which is to be expected.
    For me it would need to be a jazz or dance album.
    p.s You really luv your Breath Taking Guy’s lol.

No! Her voice is a shadow of its former self as she showed when she toured the UK last year. 'Thank You' sold quite well in the UK which surprised me. In the US it failed miserably. She's in her 80th year with nothing to prove so doing the odd show here and there is what she should be concentrating on.

An album of jazz or standards only. A Songbook of sorts. And please, please, please...let the cover be of a more natural looking lady [[and she IS beautiful) and not all fluffed up in gowns made of several layers. Also taper off the amount of 'touch up' to the photos so that she looks more natural, and not like porcelain doll.

We can all say what she should wear or not wear or if and what she should record. But remember shes going to be 80 next year. Most folks retire between 65 and 70 but Miss Ross is 80 and at this point in her life she should perform or record if and when she darn well pleases IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Miss Ross is 80 and at this point in her life she should perform or record if and when she darn well pleases IMO.
    I don’t think anyone would be begrudge her doing anything she really wants to do at this point in time Roberta. It was more about fans personal feelings as regards her recording another album.

I guess with a light, lilting voice such as Diana’s, the effects of ageing are more immediately apparent.
    Playing the “TY” album today for the umpteenth time, i still yearn for the crystalline voice we were so accustomed to hearing, but i guess we all get older.
    Having been a fan forever, i would still support whatever she puts out there, and like to think that she and her fans have matured together over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I guess with a light, lilting voice such as Diana’s, the effects of ageing are more immediately apparent.
    Playing the “TY” album today for the umpteenth time, i still yearn for the crystalline voice we were so accustomed to hearing, but i guess we all get older.
    Having been a fan forever, i would still support whatever she puts out there, and like to think that she and her fans have matured together over the years.
    I saw a great concert with Lionel Ritchie last night for the new King and Lionels voice is showing a lot of wear and tear but the audience and me at home lapped it up and every person was up dancing and singing to All Night Long and have a real fun time. My aunt Tatiana saw Frank Sinatra at Universal amphitheater a few years before he passed and she said he spoke half the lyrics as his voice was all but gone but she said it was a dream to see him and the audience loved him so much. Dionne Warwicks voice is a sahadow of what it was as is Rod Stewarts but both still put on a heck of a show and the ausience love them. The erosion in Diana Ross voice doesnt take away from her ability to thrill an audience like no other. It happens.........we got old and stuff changes. Its just part of the beautiful journey of life.

Fondly,

Roberta

I saw a great concert with Lionel Ritchie last night for the new King and Lionels voice is showing a lot of wear and tear but the audience and me at home lapped it up and every person was up dancing and singing to All Night Long and have a real fun time. My aunt Tatiana saw Frank Sinatra at Universal amphitheater a few years before he passed and she said he spoke half the lyrics as his voice was all but gone but she said it was a dream to see him and the audience loved him so much. Dionne Warwicks voice is a sahadow of what it was as is Rod Stewarts but both still put on a heck of a show and the ausience love them. The erosion in Diana Ross voice doesnt take away from her ability to thrill an audience like no other. It happens.........we got old and stuff changes. Its just part of the beautiful journey of life.

Fondly,

Roberta
    I was thinking more from a recording perspective then live performances.
    Funnily enough, i just watched a You Tube video of Diana’s ‘Thank You’ tour at Boston Massachusetts in 22 where she sounds great singing songs such as “I Still Believe”.
    There is a brightness to her voice that’s missing from much of the “TY” album. I remember the same with “I Love You” where her live performances of songs such as “The Look Of Love” were clear and crisp when compared to the recordings.

I was thinking more from a recording perspective then live performances.
    Funnily enough, i just watched a You Tube video of Diana’s ‘Thank You’ tour at Boston Massachusetts in 22 where she sounds great singing songs such as “I Still Believe”.
    There is a brightness to her voice that’s missing from much of the “TY” album. I remember the same with “I Love You” where her live performances of songs such as “The Look Of Love” were clear and crisp when compared to the recordings.
    Thank you Ollie9. The Thank You album is nice but shes done much better IMO.

Fondly,

Roberta

Should Diana record another album?

No.

Yes for sure

That’s seven yes and four no so far.

Count me in for a YES. I'd like her to work with Brian and Eddie Holland again

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Count me in for a YES. I'd like her to work with Brian and Eddie Holland again
    I am a yes as well! I love that idea, theboyfromxtown!

Yes. Of course her voice has changed. But hers is still the voice I want to hear most. Thank You is a wonderful album. I can be content and grateful if it turns out to be her last studio album. But I feel she can still give us more music and magic.

I remember your post Ran, but was coming more from the point as to whether fans would really like another album when taking into account where her voice is now.
    There was clearly a fair amount of technical wizardry going on with “TY”, and her recorded voice now sounds significantly different which is to be expected.
    For me it would need to be a jazz or dance album.
    p.s You really luv your Breath Taking Guy’s lol.
    "Breathtaking Guy", I'm 99.9 percent sure is my absolute favorite Supremes song. I've always gotten the feeling that Diana liked it a lot too because she has, on occasion, taking the time to mention it and sing the chorus over the years. Why it has never worked it's way into her live act...never mind. As long as she can sing "I Will Survive", she doesn't focus on anything else in the act. But seriously, I would love for her to revisit the song and I think a reworked jazzy version would probably be the only way for her to do it and do it justice.

You can add a bluesy version of "Touch Me In the Morning" to my album list.

Some of y'all are just brutal!

Diana's voice is definitely not what it used to be. But she had a period in the 2000s where IMO she could barely be described as a good singer. And it seemed like her vocals were particularly awful if she was on prime time television. I don't know what was going on, but at some point her vocals became much better than they were. I just watched some of her performance in the Chicago area from the other day and I would not describe her voice as one that should never record another album. I think to say she should never do it is when her voice no longer has anything good in it. She doesn't sound anywhere near that, IMO.

Yes, that melodic voice that made us love her has retired. But she still sounds like she has a very good command on her lower register, which would suit a jazzy album just fine. Unless y'all just don't want to hear her sing that style of music. But personally, I don't want to hear her doing contemporary songs. I was glad about TY- and still rate "If the World Just Danced" and "Turn Up the Sunshine" from the Minions movie pretty high- but it still wasn't what I wanted from her. Leave that style of music to other folks. Diana should have long ago made the transition from top 40 to more Stolen Moments stuff, as far back as the 90s.

I'm not counting her out, vocally. She still sounds miles better than a few of her contemporaries. [[I'm looking at Dionne and Martha, for two examples.)

I agree with the majority of the points you made above, RanRan. However, unfortunately the Chicago show from this weekend is not the best indicator of her current vocal abilities, since she lip-synced the majority of the show. I noticed she has been consistently doing this ever since Glastonbury. She lip-synced for most of the dates on the second half of the UK tour, as well as last year's dates she did in the autumn in the US. Despite her no longer being able to sing for 80 mins straight, I think she's still capable of delivering good performances in a recording studio, without the added-exhaustion of touring and the impact it has on her voice.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I agree with the majority of the points you made above, RanRan. However, unfortunately the Chicago show from this weekend is not the best indicator of her current vocal abilities, since she lip-synced the majority of the show. I noticed she has been consistently doing this ever since Glastonbury. She lip-synced for most of the dates on the second half of the UK tour, as well as last year's dates she did in the autumn in the US. Despite her no longer being able to sing for 80 mins straight, I think she's still capable of delivering good performances in a recording studio, without the added-exhaustion of touring and the impact it has on her voice.
    I think she may have lipped a few songs but lipping most of the show would have been noted in the press IMO. Didnt someone attend her Radio City show last fall and say she lipped some of the Thank You songs but the rest of the concert was live?

I think she may have lipped a few songs but lipping most of the show would have been noted in the press IMO. Didnt someone attend her Radio City show last fall and say she lipped some of the Thank You songs but the rest of the concert was live?
    I don't give the press too much credit these days, Roberta

This footage is from this past weekend's show [see the link below], and I notice slip-ups around the 50 second mark, 20 min mark, 23 min mark, and 36:30 mark, just as a few examples. Based on footage I saw from her shows in the fall, the only songs she still seems to sing live are the jazz numbers and I Will Survive. She sings live at the end of certain songs [ie. Upside Down, Love Child], when she is up to singing some ad-libs. This would explain her increasing reliance on using the fan as a prop, to block her mouth at times.

I always admired Diana for her live singing, so it's been hard for me to accept that she's made the decision to lip-sync her live performances.

https://youtu.be/DZ4pAN5AlFY

Last edited by carlo; 05-09-2023 at 07:35 PM.

That would have been me. Most of the songs from Thank you that night sounded like she lipsynched. Except Count on Me as she sang that live with Rhonda and Tracey.

No, no, no, not interested in any more bland positivity songs. It’s all too calculated.

She also lip-synced "What About Love" during her Symphonica in Rosso concert of 2009 in the Netherlands. It was quite obvious, even though she moved to the back of the stage. I don't think anyone in the audience minded though... it was a great show.

Allowing for the problems she was having with her voice, i rather wish Glastonbury had featured additional lip-syncing. Other then on “Upside Down”, she sadly sounded pretty terrible. Huge shame being such a high profile, global event.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    She also lip-synced "What About Love" during her Symphonica in Rosso concert of 2009 in the Netherlands. It was quite obvious, even though she moved to the back of the stage. I don't think anyone in the audience minded though... it was a great show.
    Yes, you're right, Jaap. She has also lip-synced the "I'm Coming Out" intro, on and off, for years. Back in the 70's and 80's, she would also lip-sync/feature playback during "Love Hangover". I've never really minded her lip-syncing here and there. However, it seems she is doing more and more of it now, likely due to struggling with an aging voice and the unpredictability that can have. If she's going to lip-sync, she at least needs to figure out that darn audio-pack that she's been strapping to her waist. She had quite a few issues with it during last weekend's show and in my opinion, it's distracting to watch her fiddling with it, accidentally disconnecting it and getting it caught on her gowns.

Allowing for the problems she was having with her voice, i rather wish Glastonbury had featured additional lip-syncing. Other then on “Upside Down”, she sadly sounded pretty terrible. Huge shame being such a high profile, global event.
    I agree, Ollie.

I have never seen any of the Supremes solo live before but with Mary passing I was thinking of seeing Diana live when she passes through my area in June. But with her lip-synching I think I'm going to pass. Martha Reeves sounds awful but at least she sings live.

I know she probably won't retire because if she does she'll become a mythical figure holed up in the east wing of her mansion peering through the curtains. Performing keeps her going and probably keeps her anxiety in check. But if she's lip-synching then maybe it's time to cut down.

Also clearly the setlist hasn't changed.
    Last edited by floyjoy678; 05-10-2023 at 10:11 AM.

If she's having live vocal issues, that's one thing. But I don't think the problems she might be having would preclude her from recording a quality album, especially if she's already pre-recording vocals for shows to lip to and the results sound decent to good. I didn't watch the entirety of the May 5th show, but I did watch "Touch Me In the Morning" and she sounded fine to my ears. No, not like Diana of old, but still pretty good.

To piggyback on Floyjoy's post, I know Diana has said in the past that she would give up performing when her voice stops cooperating, but honestly I don't see that happening. She might have meant it when she said it, but I think the only way she'll stop performing is if her legs stop cooperating, and even then I wouldn't rule out Diana Ross onstage in a Supremes worthy wheelchair. She was a born performer. It's hard for entertainers at heart to shake the desire to keep going. People like to jump to conclusions that the legends are out touring because they have to. And I imagine that's true for some. But I also think "have to" doesn't mean "don't want to" either. That's a strong feeling, the need to perform. I don't think Diana will ever stop. Mary didn't stop. Even Florence, who took a huge "break" eventually got to the point where the desire to perform again became too much to ignore. It's a hard "habit" to break when you're a natural.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I have never seen any of the Supremes solo live before but with Mary passing I was thinking of seeing Diana live when she passes through my area in June. But with her lip-synching I think I'm going to pass. Martha Reeves sounds awful but at least she sings live.

I know she probably won't retire because if she does she'll become a mythical figure holed up in the east wing of her mansion peering through the curtains. Performing keeps her going and probably keeps her anxiety in check. But if she's lip-synching then maybe it's time to cut down.

Also clearly the setlist hasn't changed.
    Dr Martha Reeves sounds GREAT IMO.

Roberta I will say I did see a clip recently of Martha doing "No One There" and I enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Roberta I will say I did see a clip recently of Martha doing "No One There" and I enjoyed it.
    Dr Reeves is ageless and timeless and the best spokeswoman for Motown Reciords ever IMO. Dr Martha Reeves knows more about Motown than Mr Gordy. LOL

To answer the question presented here that if Diana wants to record again then do it but have some from the outside mix and arrange the vocals.
    Last edited by captainjames; 05-10-2023 at 07:23 PM.

Dr Reeves is ageless and timeless and the best spokeswoman for Motown Reciords ever IMO. Dr Martha Reeves knows more about Motown than Mr Gordy. LOL
    I admire your devotion Roberta, but have to concur with floy in that Martha’s singing voice went south a number of years ago.
    Having said that, if fans still get enjoyment from attending her concerts and seeing her perform live then all is well. That is after all what it’s all about.

A small jazz combo live album like "Stolen Moments" would be great. Live versions of "The Look of Love," "What A Difference A Day Makes", "Stormy", " He Was Beautiful" -The Cleo Laine Song- and "Never My Love" would all be lovely and exciting to hear.Bonus Songs: Another version of "It's A Wonderful World". On "Stolen Moments" it was sung playfully. I like it sung sincerely like "Little Girl Blue". Also, Gordon Lightfoot's, "If You Could Read My Mind".
    Last edited by TNSUN; 05-13-2023 at 01:21 AM.

Here are some recorded versions of
    "He Was Beautiful"

https://youtu.be/zXnuCifFHds

https://youtu.be/zxnLccysm08

https://youtu.be/GuG47evYO_s
    Last edited by TNSUN; 05-13-2023 at 02:37 AM.

I hope she does, but if not it's ok also
    I do like the jazz idea.
    A few years ago I heard Diana sing with the opera singers and held her own she did some nice performances..I was impressed

Diana will be 80 next March. The type of voice she has was gonna thin out eventually. Now will she make a new album? Who knows? Thank You honestly sounded more like a farewell than a comeback.

Thinking along the lines as to where her voice is now, i personally am not really bothered about a new album, being more interested in the Harold Arlen set plus further expanded editions of Supremes or solo efforts.
    i would dearly love to see her 90’s albums given the expanded treatment, but with Reflections nowhere in sight fat chance.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Diana will be 80 next March. The type of voice she has was gonna thin out eventually. Now will she make a new album? Who knows? Thank You honestly sounded more like a farewell than a comeback.
    With no news on the horizon, and increased tendency to lip-synch you may well be right.

the Symphony album is apparently on hold. the first few including Elvis , did really well but, since they have not faired as well .

I very much enjoyed her last album giving that it was done in a home studio it was well done , I would love for her to do several more albums her voice is still a beautiful instrument