[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Gotta See Jane

Gotta See Jane

This brilliant R Dean Taylor song has a different feel to other songs that came from Hitsville at the time. Does anyone know which studio it was recorded in please? I also wonder where the special sound effects were added.

Thanks for any information you can share.

R Dean Taylor recorded before he hooked up with Motown [[62) but I have no idea where those tracks were cut.
    He joined up with Motown & H-D-H in 64 and cut tracks such as "My Lady Bug ..." which has a typical Motown vibe. I'd GUESS that track & his later outings such as Gotta See Jane were all cut @ Hitsville.
    Isn't there a web site where all Motown recording info is fully detailed.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    This brilliant R Dean Taylor song has a different feel to other songs that came from Hitsville at the time. Does anyone know which studio it was recorded in please? I also wonder where the special sound effects were added.

Thanks for any information you can share.
    According to the Don't Forget the Motor City site, "Gotta See Jane" was recorded at Hitsville-Golden World. Also from reading the entries to R. Dean Taylor's singles on The Complete Motown Singles box sets, he was looking for a different sound to his previous work. He got it with "Gotta See Jane".

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    Isn't there a web site where all Motown recording info is fully detailed.
    Yes, the Don't Forget the Motor City site contains recording dates and locations for [most] of the songs recorded for Motown from 1959 thru 1972. Check it out.
    Don't Forget The Motor City [dftmc.info]
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 05-05-2023 at 04:41 AM.

DFTMC is brilliant. I can top up my Motown information details with the information there!

Martha Reeves - "Gotta See James"

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post

Never heard this version before, thanks. Which album was it on please?

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post

This sounds fantastic! So this is post-Motown, 1993 [[?); it's an interesting choice of songs for Martha to cover. Her version really makes the song like an unfolding saga. And this is one of Martha's best vocals.
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 05-05-2023 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    Never heard this version before, thanks. Which album was it on please?
    Its on her 1986 cd THE COLLECTION, which contains remakes of some of her hits as well as songs like MIDNIGHT HOUR, GET READY, and GOTTA SEE JANE.