[REMOVE ADS]

Linda Lewis Dies: Singer For Yusuf/Cat Stevens, David Bowie, Rod Stewart Was 72

Linda cut stuff as a teenager [[see scan of a Jobete song she recorded) & then joined UK soul band Ferris Wheel. She went solo again in the 70's and recorded loads of stuff in her own right. I went to see a visiting US soul singer @ London's Jazz Cafe in the 90's [[can't remember properly who it was -- Lenny Willams or Chuck Jackson maybe). Anyway, part way thru the show, the star singer asked if anyone from the audience would like to join him on stage for a duet. Linda was pushed up by her friends [[just being an audience member) and joined in on a song. The 'star singer' was blown away when she provided such a real quality performance.
    Attachment 20653
    Last edited by jsmith; 05-05-2023 at 04:17 AM.

ah shucks.

I'd mistakenly thought this a British tune , where it did well chart wise and being that she's British.

In the galloping style of Gloria Gaynor also with Bob Babbitt on bass , Luther Vandross in the back up.

She averted becoming a disco diva although the style afforded her her one hit , #11 on the US disco chart, #6 UK.

RIP Linda Lewis

So sad to hear about Linda's passing. She was still young. She was a favorite of Stevie Wonder's and her music was much-sampled by hip-hoppers. I have many favorites but especially love "What Are You Asking Me For?" RIP, Linda.

Sad.

I first heard her when she released "Rock-a-doodle-do" as a UK single around 1973. This showed her to be quite an interesting vocal talent; but she never really made it that big. As a result, she's largely been forgotten. I really like her version of "Moon And I".

I saw her in the flesh briefly in 1979 when I attended the Local Radio Awards in Park Lane in London. I spotted her as she approached the entrance to the hotel in the opposite direction to me and she gave me a big smile. I just thought "Ooooooh!"

It's this kind of thing that makes me reluctant to attend gigs featuring old bands with no original members or old songs as it sometimes brings out a sadness in me. I sometimes end up privately mourning as I realise that the music and artists that defined my life are quietly passing beyond the veil.

So sad to hear about Linda. My favorite song by her was called Class/Style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tZLbftx8Hc

Two years ago, a comp album was put out in the UK [[FEEL THE FEELING vinyl LP) that did OK sales wise. A limited edition 45 was included with the album & this featured her old take on the Jobete song "You Turned My Bitter Into Sweet".
    Unfortunately I can't find a copy of this 45 on sale at the moment.

Sweet Soul ballad -- made in the US, with a UK twist ...