[REMOVE ADS]

Billboard's Hot 100/ Top 40 Motown Chronicles - 1973 - [Pt. 2]

Because of the amount of content, the year 1973 is being divided into three threads.

This is Part II:
    May - August

Billboard’s Hot 100/ Top 40
    Chart #18

May 5, 1973

Number of singles reviewed this week: 172!!
    last week: 119

including:
    Soul:
    SMOKEY ROBINSON - SWEET HARMONY [4:10] -producers:Smokey Robinson & Willie Hutch; writer: W. Robinson Tamla 54233. Smokey's soft voice is showcased on his first solo effort which is dedicated to his former Miracles associates. There is a soft, silken quality to the total production.Destined for pop crossover play

EDDIE KENDRICKS - DARLING COME BACK HOME
    [3:10] producer: Frank Wilson, Leonard Caston; writers: K. Wakefield, F. Wilson, K. Errisson. Tamla 54236F. The former front man for The Temptations is heard pleading for the return of his woman, with the massage [sic] underscored by a sweet arrangement. The single should gain pop recognition as well.

Tamla is double-barreling this week releasing two singles, both by long time artists trying to get a foothold as solo performers. Maybe this time out.

Meanwhile, it's a Stevie Wonder week, as he enters the nation's Top 5 with Motown's hottest single, also on Tamla. The Temptations peak and suddenly drop from the Top 10. Gladys Knight and the Pips have two records charting while the J5 appear to struggle. Brother Michael hops onto the Hot 100 [as this week's highest debut 45] to help out. Adding it, and with no drop offs, Motown has six charting 45s.

The Top 10:

Week three for Dawn's TIE A YELLOW RIBBON ROUND THE OLD OAK TREE at #1. War's CISCO KID pressing hard again at #2. Stevie Wonder closing in at #4 with a bullet from #6 with YOU ARE THE SUNSHINE OF MY LIFE. The typical two new entries , this time by Dobie Gray with DRIFT AWAY at #6 from #11 . It is Dobie Gray's only time in the Top Ten, he came close in 1965 with THE IN CROWD, which was the last time he charted Top 40, peaking at #13. Also his first week in, at #10 from #15, Edgar Winter [and group] with the instrumental FRANKENSTEIN, titled such for the way their much longer performance song's parts had to be chopped and sewn together into something short and cohesive enough to be a single.

The Top 40:

Motown:
    Four records from Motown are on the Top 40:

^YOU ARE THE SUNSHINE OF MY LIFE - Stevie Wonder now Top 5 with a bullet at #4 spot from #6.
    MASTERPIECE - Temptations sudden reversal downward to #11 from #7, the song's peak.
    NEITHER ONE OF US [WANTS TO BE THE FIRST TO SAY GOODBYE] - Gladys Knight & The Pips drops from #12 to #22.
    ^ HALLELUJAH DAY - Jackson Five up one to #27 from #28.

off: none

Biggest mover in the Top 40: 11 places:
    DANIEL - Elton John at #14 from #25

Six entries, 5 US, 1 UK, 2+Top 10 bound+, 0 PI related, 0 Motown, 0 by proxy
    Highest Debut:
    STEAMROLLER BLUES/FOOL Elvis Presley #30 up 14 from #44 [98th Top 40 Hit]

+PLAYGROUND IN MY MIND+
    - Clint Holmes #32 up 11 from #43 [One Hit Wonder]
    IT SURE TOOK A LONG LONG TIME - Lobo #36 up 9 from #45 [4th Top 40 hit]
    +I'M GONNA LOVE YOU JUST A LITTLE MORE BABY+ - Barry White #37 up 20 from #57 [*First Time Artist]
    I CAN UNDERSTAND IT -New Birth #38 up 4 from #42 [*First Time Artist]
    BLUE SUEDE SHOES - Johnny Rivers #40 up 2 from #42 [Fifteenth Top 40 hit]

The Hot 100:

Eight newbies: 2 Top 40 bound, 1 first time to chart on the Hot 100, 0 Philly International related, 1 Motown, 0 by proxy
    Highest debut:
    third tier:
    #84 - WITH A CHILD'S HEART - Michael Jackson

#88 - HEY YOU! GET OFF MY MOUNTAIN - Dramatics
    #94 - MONSTER MASH - Bobby 'Boris' Picket
    #95 - YOUR SIDE OF THE BED - Mac Davis
    #97 - SO VERY HARD TO GO - Tower Of Power
    #98 - A LITTLE BIT LIKE MAGIC - King Harvest
    #99 - DUELING TUBAS - Martin Mull
    #100 - WORKING CLASS HERO - Tommy Roe

Motown:
    debuts:
    one
    1st week: WITH A CHILD'S HEART - Michael Jackson #84 DEBUT
    2nd week: DADDY COULD SWEAR, I DECLARE - Gladys Knight & The Pips #71 up 7 from #78 -

offs:
    none

NEW! --- The Motown singles found on Billboard's BUBBLING UNDER THE HOT 100. Many will go on to break into The Hot 100 while others won't.

BUBBLING UNDER THE HOT 100
    :

#105 - BAD WEATHER - Supremes - last week: #105
    #106 - TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE SUCH SWEET MUSIC - Spinners - DEBUT
    #OFF - MA- Rare Earth - last week: #110

Third very good week in a row for:
    Bell Records
    with three titles still in the Top 5.
    At #1 is Dawn's TIE A YELLOW RIBBON ROUND THE OLD OAK TREE.
    LITTLE WILLIE by The Sweet is #3 from #5 with a bullet, and Vickie Lawrence's former #1, THE NIGHT THE LIGHTS WENT OUT IN GEORGIA, still strong at #5.
    Add to that, Bell also has the #1 and #2 singles in the UK. For the first time in ages that chart and the Hot 100 have the same song in the #1 position, Dawn's TIE A YELLOW RIBBON ROUND THE OLD OAK TREE. At #2 on Bell is Gary Glitter's HELLO HELLO I"M BACK AGAIN.

Also a very good week for:
    Split titled charters
    A few years ago, 45s with split credits were common. The split was either due to a medley of songs as the title, or a 45 getting play with both its A and B sides.This week, side-by -ide on the Top 40 are examples of both. At #29 is a medley of two songs from The Who's rock opera TOMMY by The New Seekers, PINBALL WIZARD/SEE ME FEEL ME, and at #30 is the double sided hit, STEAMROLLER BLUES/FOOL, by Elvis Presley. Double-siders have been regular for Elvis since the early years, even until now, but the trend in general has all but faded. Barbra Streisand is another artist who often splits her 45s.
    There are no other splits on the entire Hot 100 and like the way of the doo doo bird , these may be final examples. Something to keep an eye out for.

Texas born Lawrence Darrow Brown or "Dobie Gray" [a take-off of the popular TV character, Dobie Gillis] had limited success through the sixties, most notably being first to record a Motown tinted arrangement [by a young Gene Page] of THE IN CROWD in 1965 that went to #13 , with a Ramsey Lewis remake going to #5 later that same year.
    A failed release of DRIFT AWAY by artist John Henry Kurtz fell into the hands of Dobie Gray when its' author, Mentor Williams, brother of Paul Williams, produced Gray's first Decca album in Nashville, where Dobie Gray will move to permanently.

Last edited by Boogiedown; 05-06-2023 at 01:18 PM.

Boogiedown, just how long does it take you to compile, format and type out these? I'm floored. I KNOW you're putting a ton of work into these posts and it's honestly some of the most compelling information ever. There's an old Doris Day song, "Sentimental Journey" and the full meaning of that song suddenly hits me as I read through all of your posts. These records, from that period, just reading the titles, bring back all the good memories of the happiest period of my childhood.

The bonus is reading just how all these records made their climb up the chart from start to finish, and which records were competing with each other for the upper slots of the hit charts. Really gives added meaning to my favorite hits.

Thanks Boogiedown for taking time to do all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    Boogiedown, just how long does it take you to compile, format and type out these? I haven't timed it, if I did I might not do it I just whittle at it , here and there as time allows. Often with the 90 Day Fiance franchise playing out in the background. The push comes when I'm about half way into it, then I worry about a computer malfunction where I'll lose everything, as has happened. That's when I decide to post with the expiration time for editing the post looming. That gets it done! By then my mind is already halfway diving into the contents of the next issue of Billboard. I'm floored. I KNOW you're putting a ton of work into these posts and it's honestly some of the most compelling information ever. Thank you! There's an old Doris Day song, "Sentimental Journey" and the full meaning of that song suddenly hits me as I read through all of your posts. These records, from that period, just reading the titles, bring back all the good memories of the happiest period of my childhood. I hear ya, that's what compels me.

The bonus is reading just how all these records made their climb up the chart from start to finish, and which records were competing with each other for the upper slots of the hit charts. Really gives added meaning to my favorite hits. Good!

Thanks Boogiedown for taking time to do all of this. Thank you Waiting and Watching. The pleasure is mine. Stay tuned!

World War II was ending when SENTIMENTAL JOURNEY songwriter Les Brown [and his Band of Renown] backed a rendition by Doris Day who had been singing big band since 1939. Recorded in November of 1944, SENTIMENTAL JOURNEY reached the top spot in Billboard on March 29, 1945, and became a homecoming theme for many of the returning soldiers. This will be the first of 54 Top 40 singles [650 recordings total] for Doris Day who goes straight to #1 first time out with this one.

Gonna take a sentimental journey
    Gonna set my heart at ease
    Gonna make a sentimental journey
    To renew old memories

[couldn't resist a chance to include Doris Day and this well-suited title ]
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 05-06-2023 at 01:20 PM.

Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #19

May 12, 1973

POP:
    DIANA ROSS - TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING [3:51] producers: Mike Masser, Ton Baird, Berry Gordy Jr. [executive producer]; writers: Ron Miller, Tom Baird; Motown 1239. Diana is back in a delightfully contemporary vein alter saluting Billie Holiday. She overdubs the background voices and has a warm, lyrical, lead sound. This song was done seven months ago and has been held until now. Its very much welcome.

SOUL:
    Also recommended:

JR WALKER AND THE ALL-STARS - I Don't Need No Reason
    [3:44]; producer; Jr. Walker, Hal David. Writers: Pam Sawyer, Leon Ware. Soul 35106

REUBEN HOWELL-I'll See You Through
    [2:35]; producer:Clayton Ivey, Terry Woodford; writer: E. Shelby; Motown 1228

G.C. CAMERON - No Matter Where
    [3:17]; producers: G.C. Cameron , Mark Davis: writers: C. Drayton, T. Smith Motown 1234

Stevie Wonder now at #2! Temptations still in the Top 40. All else from Motown resides below the Top 40 line [five titles]. With nothing dropping off and one "new" one from The Spinners, Motown is seven records strong.

The Top Ten:

Four weeks now for Dawn's TIE A YELLOW RIBBON ROUND THE OLD OAK TREE at #1 becoming one of the years biggest records so far, and still #1 in the UK as well. Stevie Wonder vying for the top spot at #2 although YOU ARE THE SUNSHINE OF MY LIFE has fallen from the Adult Contemporary chart's #1 position after being there two weeks and is also stalled at #3 Soul.
    Mostly a mild shuffle within the Top Ten with one new song by Elton John and his brother DANIEL at #9 from #15. The Carpenters have sung SING [a Muppets tune] in the Top Ten for the last time, now #13 from #9 after peaking at #3.

The Top 40:

Motown:
    Two records from Motown are on the Top 40:

^YOU ARE THE SUNSHINE OF MY LIFE - Stevie Wonder now close to the peak with a bullet to #2 from #4.
    MASTERPIECE - Temptations continue to free fall to #25 from #11.

Biggest mover in the Top 40: 13 places {tie}:
    MY LOVE - Paul McCartney #13 from #26.
    I'M GONNA LOVE YOU JUST A LITTLE MORE BABY - Barry White #24 from #37.

Five debuts, all US, 1+Top 10 bound+, 1 PI related, 0 Motown, 0 by proxy
    Highest Debut:
    +RIGHT PLACE WRONG TIME+ -Dr. John #34 up 13 from #47 [One Hit Wonder]
    SUPERFLY MEETS SHAFT - John & Ernest #35 up 8 from #43 [One Hit Wonder]
    TEDDY BEAR SONG - Barbara Fairchild #37 up 8 from #45 [One Hit Wonder]
    NO MORE MR NICE GUY - Alice Cooper #39 up 2 from #41 [fifth Top 40 hit]
    LETS PRETEND - Raspberries#40 up 2 from #42 [third Top forty hit]

The Hot 100:

Ten arrivals: 3 Top 40 bound, 4 first time to chart on the Hot 100, 0 Philly International related, 1 Motown, 0 by proxy
    Highest debut:
    third tier:
    #81 DIAMOND GIRL - Seals and Crofts

#85 - BOOGIE WOOGIE BUGLE BOY -Bette Midler
    #88 - SWAMP WITCH - Jim Stafford
    #91 - CALIFORNIA SAGA - The Beach Boys
    #93 - A LETTER TO LUCILLE - Tom Jones
    #95 - SATIN SHEETS - Jeanne Pruitt
    #96 - SHAMBALA - B.W. Stevens
    #97 - TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE SUCH SWEET MUSIC - Spinners
    #99 - OUTLAW MAN - David Blue
    #100 - DON'T LET IT GET YOU DOWN - Crusaders

NEW! Italic ranking indicates movement with a bullet [star]
    Motown:
    debuts:
    one
    1st week: TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE SUCH SWEET MUSIC - Spinners #97 DEBUT.

2nd week: WITH A CHILD'S HEART - Michael Jackson #71 up 13 from #84
    3rd week: DADDY COULD SWEAR, I DECLARE - Gladys Knight & The Pips #59 up 12 from #71.
    9th week: HALLELUJAH DAY - Jackson Five drops to #53 from #27.
    16th week: NEITHER ONE OF US [WANTS TO BE THE FIRST TO SAY GOODBYE] - Gladys Knight & The Pips drops from #22 to #43.
    offs:
    none

:

#103 - BAD WEATHER - Supremes - last week: #105
    #113 - BROTHER'S GONNA WORK IT OUT - Willie Hutch - DEBUT

A very good week for:
    being right on the chart

At #21 Carly Simon has decided that lovin' you's THE RIGHT THING TO DO , while debuting on the Top 40 is Dr. John who's at the RIGHT PLACE, but at the WRONG TIME .

Levity on the charts: less this music industry take itself too seriously, currently a bit of poking fun taking place:
    Comedian Martin Mull [born Martin Mull] makes his one appearance on the Hot 100 just briefly with a send up of DUELING BANJOS, the recent multi-chart hit from the movie DELIVERANCE:

At 1:26 , the single is just long enough. DUELING TUBAS will peak at #92 and at #87 Canada.

Unlikely that something this amateur could break into the Top 40 these days when complex multi tracking and studio wizardry are the norm, but this week, the choppily edited break-in record, SUPERFLY MEETS SHAFT by John and Ernest, does just that.

At 1:36, the B side is just long enough.
    The song excerpts used an the A-side include The Temptation's PAPA WAS A ROLLING STONE and Jermaine Jackson's DADDY'S HOME.

oh oh:
    Last week Julian Coleman's Soul Sauce chose Smokey Robinson's SWEET HARMONY as the 'Best New Single Of The Week'.
    This week again a Motown single is singled out: NO MATTER WHAT [sic] by G. C. Cameron
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 05-10-2023 at 12:11 PM.

Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #20

May 19, 1973

Number of singles reviewed this week: 119

last week: 171

Motown is #1
    for the second time this year as is Stevie Wonder with cuts from the album TALKING BOOK. Top 40 bookends for Motown with Wonder's YOU ARE THE SUNSHINE OF MY LIFE at the very top and The Temptations at the very bottom at #40 with MASTERPIECE. There are no Motown singles charting in between. Below that, five singles from the label are at various stages of their chart run with the latest by Gladys Knight & The Pips and by Michael Jackson looking to be the most promising. One 45 drops out completely from The Hot 100 while another enters to replace it by a Motown newcomer.

The Top 10:

After a four week run at #1 TIE A YELLOW RIBBON ROUND THE OLD OAK TREE slips to #2 and Dawn gives way to the full SUNSHINE OF Stevie Wonder's LIFE.
    Charting 18 weeks, LITTLE WILLIE by The Sweet is the Hot 100's oldest single, yet it is now at its highest chart position, at #3 for the second week. That's a notch above the song's peak of #4 in the UK last year. This is a rarity: The Sweet are in the Top 3 of both the British and the American charts this week, but with different titles. In the UK it's HELL RAISER at #2 which entered at #4.
    Three 45s become Top Tenners while the three they replace drop out. In at #6, MY LOVE by Paul McCartney and Wings from #13, Sylvia's PILLOW TALK [#2 Soul this week] enters at #9 from #14, and Skylark's WILDFLOWER takes the #10 spot up from #12. The lights are out for Vicki Lawrence's former #1 and only Top 40 hit , THE NIGHT THE LIGHTS WENT OUT IN GEORGIA to #12 from #8, while THE CISCO KID by War makes a drastic departure from #4 to #15, and Donnie Osmond's remake of the 1957 Johnny Mathis hit, THE TWELFTH OF NEVER on MGM Records, also plunges, now #21 from #10 after peaking at #8 and at #1 on the British chart.

The Top 40:

Motown:

^YOU ARE THE SUNSHINE OF MY LIFE - Stevie Wonder is #1 up from #2.
    MASTERPIECE - Temptations barely squeak by for another week falling to #40 from #25 .
    offs: none

Biggest mover in the Top 40: 10 ranks :
    NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY - Alice Cooper #29 from #39.

Four debuts, all US, 1+Top 10 bound+, 1 PI related, 0 Motown, 1 by proxy
    Highest Debut:
    +WILL IT GO ROUND IN CIRCLES+ - Billy Preston #30 up 11 from #41 [2nd Top 40 hit]

ONE OF A KIND [LOVE AFFAIR] - Spinners #35 up 15 from #50 [ 6th Top 40 hit]
    AND I LOVE YOU SO - Perry Como #37 up 9 from #46 [29th and final Top 40 hit]
    HEARTS OF STONE - Blue Ridge Rangers #38 up 4 from #42 [2nd and final Top 40 hit]

The Hot 100:

Nine make it: 6 Top 40 bound, 2 #first time to chart on the Hot 100, 2 Philly International related, 1 Motown, 0 by proxy
    Highest debut:
    second tier:
    #59- GIVE ME LOVE [GIVE ME PEACE ON EARTH] - George Harrison

third tier:
    #71 - SHAMBALA - Three Dog Night
    #77 - YOU'LL NEVER GET TO HEAVEN [IF YOU BREAK MY HEART] - Stylistics
    #82 - KODACHROME - Paul Simon
    #84 - MONEY - Pink Floyd
    #90 - TIME TO GET DOWN - O'Jays
    #94 - THINK - James Brown
    #97 - BROTHERS GONNA WORK IT OUT - Willie Hutch
    #100 - PASSION PLAY - Jethro Tull

NEW! Italic ranking indicates movement with a bullet [star]
    Motown:
    debuts:
    one
    1st week: BROTHERS GONNA WORK IT OUT - Willie Hutch #97 DEBUT

2nd week: TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE SUCH SWEET MUSIC - Spinners #93 up 4 from #97 .
    3rd week: WITH A CHILD'S HEART - Michael Jackson #71 up 13 from #84
    4th week: DADDY COULD SWEAR, I DECLARE - Gladys Knight & The Pips #50 up 9 from #59.
    10th week: HALLELUJAH DAY - Jackson Five drops to #58 from #53.

17th week: NEITHER ONE OF US [WANTS TO BE THE FIRST TO SAY GOODBYE] - Gladys Knight and the Pips drops off from #43.
    offs:
    one
    But say goodbye they do, Gladys Knight as well as the Pips taking 17 weeks to do so with NEITHER ONE OF US which matches the peak of their previously biggest record under Motown, 1967's I HEARD IT THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE both at #2. Recorded in Detroit, it's one more case of goodbye to the old Motown, after six years of membership, NEITHER ONE OF US marks the last of the group's singles while still under contract.

Regardless of being so hot, Gladys Knight and The Pips with bags packed are already off to Neil Bogart's stewarded Buddah records. Former label mates, The Isley Brother's T-Neck label is already being distributed through Buddah.

:

#103 - BAD WEATHER - Supremes - last week: #103

a very good week for:
    Stevie Wonder

two releases in a row hit #1.
    not so good:
    Stevie's finding more success writing about SUNSHINE than BAD WEATHER, his one time gig [one single, no album] as a producer /songwriter for The Supremes has resulted in a dud that has spent five weeks stuck below the Hot 100 as a 'Bubbling Under' title. Not helping: not enough airplay from black radio for it to chart there.
    BAD WEATHER has gotten a tad warmer reception in the UK where it peaked last week at #37.

also a very good week for:
    May flowers

Another foreign act with a single that's been slow to bloom [the UK's The Sweet being the other] and now entering the Top 10 is Canadian act Skylark with WILDFLOWER a distinctive narrative derived from a poem that broke in Canada when played as an LP cut. Capital Records tested it regionally in nearby Detroit where it received successful Soul play although it is not charting on the Billboard national Soul chart and is finally reaching the Hot 100's top tier in its fourteenth week.

And not too far below that at #14, also taking 14 weeks to get there, Mike Curb's MGM Records scores again with a Maine based country tune called DAISY A DAY from Jud Strunk.

Both acts will become one hit wonders. Skylark's lead singer , Donny Gerrard, goes solo after the group's disbanding even as this single runs its course and will find success as a back up vocalist for many artists.
    Jud Strunk tours on the East coast and becomes an amateur pilot and buys a 1940s classic plane but has a heart attack during a take off and dies at age 45 in 1981.

A half-page ad for 'ABBA' pointing out that the group has Sweden's Top 3 charters :

#1 - RING
    RING [Swedish version]
    Bjorn & Benny, Anna & Frida
    #2 - RING RING [English version]
    #3 - RING RING [LP]

Full-page ad for Diana Ross' new single which reads in large lettering:
    Diana Ross
    Touch Me In The Morning

no other words, with a backdrop photo of sunlight breaking through tall trees and no image of Diana Ross.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 05-17-2023 at 05:23 PM.

Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #21

May 26, 1973
    Special week: SOUL MAKOSSA

Number of singles reviewed this week:
    last week: 119
    including:
    POP
    THE TEMPTATIONS - PLASTIC MAN [4:45]; producer: Norman Whitfield; writer: Norman Whitfield, Gordy 7129. This tune comes out of the group's fine LP "Masterpiece" and is another look at a ghetto character, although this shallow type of man, a phony all around, is not exclusively the domain of the ghetto. Nonetheless, the Temptations' version is a marvelous blending of the vocal story with some brilliant instrumental work, notably echoey, wavy trumpets working in concert with congas and high hat. The trumpets sweep in and out on the bridges and they are absolutely first rate.

also recommended:
    AFRIQUE - Soul Makossa [2:50] producer: none listed; writer: Manu Dibango, Rayven : Mainstream 5542

ALL DIRECTIONS - Soul Makossa [3:29] producer: Thunder Productions; writer: Manu Dibango, Rayven, Kooper: Buddah 362

Stevie Wonder's placement at the top is short lived as YOU ARE THE SUNSHINE OF MY LIFE drops after one week. It is still Motown's highest charter, while also the label's only record in the Top 40. Advancing toward that is Gladys Knight and the Pips' latest [which bolts into the Soul Top 10 to #8 from #20], while all other 45s from Motown have all but stalled. No new debuts and The J5 exit leaving a grand total of six charters.

The Top Ten:

YOU ARE THE SUNSHINE OF MY LIFE by Stevie Wonder takes a decisive plunge to #5, weakened by faltering Soul chart support where it has fallen to #9 after a #3 peak, and falls below the #1 pop record that proceeded it, TIE A YELLOW RIBBON, by Tony Orlando and Dawn which is now at #4. The Edgar Winter Group snatched the vacancy at the top with their first serious charter: FRANKENSTEIN [see below]. Just one new record works its magic into the Top 10, HOCUS POCUS by Dutch group Focus [see below] at #10 from #13, unsticking Scottish rock band Steeler's Wheel from their middle Top Ten peak of #6 then #8, now #13 with STUCK IN THE MIDDLE WITH YOU.

The Top 40:

Motown:
    One record from Motown is on the Top 40:

YOU ARE THE SUNSHINE OF MY LIFE - Stevie Wonder is #5 dropping from #1.
    MASTERPIECE - Temptations OFF the Top 40 from #40 .
    offs: one
    ______

Biggest mover in the Top 40: 8 places {tie}:
    I'M GONNA LOVE YOU JUST A LITTLE MORE BABY - Barry White
    PLAYGROUND IN MY MIND - Clint Holmes

Four debuts, 2 US, 1 Canadian, 1 UK, 2+Top 10 bound+, 1 PI related, 0 Motown, 0 by proxy
    Highest Debut:
    +GIVE ME LOVE GIVE ME PEACE ON EARTH+ - George Harrison #34 up 25 from #59 [5th Top 40 hit]

GIVE IT TO ME
    - J Geils Band #39 up 5 from #44 [2nd Top 40 hit]
    +LONG TRAIN RUNNING+ - Doobie Brothers #30 up 13 from #43 [3rd Top 40 hit]
    CLOSE YOUR EYES - Edward Bear - #40 up 2 from #42 [2nd and final Top 40 hit]

The Hot 100:

Just six make it, mostly Country: 1 Top 40 bound, 0 #first time to chart on the Hot 100, 0 Philly International related, 0 Motown, 0 by proxy
    Highest debut:
    second tier:
    #83 - WHAT ABOUT ME - Anne Murray

#85 - SMOKE ON THE WATER - Deep Purple
    #90 - I'D RATHER BE A COWBOY - John Denver
    #98 - COME LIVE WITH ME - Roy Clark
    #99 - WHAT'S YOUR MAMA'S NAME - Tanya Tucker
    #100 - CU'M ON FEEL THE NOIZE - Slade

Italic ranking indicates movement with a bullet
    Motown:
    debuts:
    none
    2nd week: ^BROTHERS GONNA WORK IT OUT - Willie Hutch #94 up 3 from#97

3rd week: TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE SUCH SWEET MUSIC - Spinners #93 again
    4th week: ^WITH A CHILD'S HEART - Michael Jackson #51 up 4 from #55
    5th week: ^DADDY COULD SWEAR, I DECLARE - Gladys Knight & The Pips #42 up 8 from#50.
    11th week: HALLELUJAH DAY - Jackson Five OFF from #58
    14th week: MASTERPIECE - Temptations #56 down 16 from #40

Jackson Five's HALLELUJAH DAY - Freddie Perren has been actively shepherding the Jackson Five since their first hit I WANT YOU BACK in 1969 as part of The Corporation team. He produced this and Michael's currently charting single, WITH A CHILD'S HEART. Disco and Perren are on a collision course. It'll start with The Miracles' LOVE MACHINE and continue with BOOGIE FEVER for The Sylvers, HEAVEN MUST BE MISSING AN AN ANGEL by Tavares , IF I CANT HAVE YOU with Yvonne Fair and I WILL SURVIVE by Gloria Gaynor to name a choice few.

:

#101 - BAD WEATHER - Supremes - last week: #103

A very good week for:
    Instrumentals.

Two in the top 10, one at the top and one entering at #10.

Unlikely this Dutch group's instrumental [save for shrieks, chants and yodels] from their first album would do better in the US than it did in Europe when it was released there in 1971, where it charted at #9 on the Dutch chart , and elsewhere only in the UK to #20, but after more than 3 months of charting , HOCUS POCUS is Top 10.

Mostly a vehicle for the band to improvise off of for the past three years, FRANKENSTEIN was sewn together from various bits and pieces of longer jams. The instrumental piece almost wasn't included in the album and was the "b" side to the single HANGIN' AROUND that got discovered by Canadian and US DJs.

Edgar Winter helped popularize the incorporation of synthesizers in rock music, strapping one around his neck when performing. Besides the keyboard wizardry the arrangement also features amazing guitar work and two competing drum solos and for awhile the tune was titled THE DOUBLE DRUM SONG.

Detroit Emeralds now have two singles on the UK chart: FEEL THE NEED is at #43 from #39 after peaking at #4 and YOU WANT IT YOU GOT IT moves up to #25 from #33 and will peak at #12.

Full-page ad: Edwin Starr's new single, THERE YOU GO.

Something is in the air: Exploding this week is what was an otherwise ignored record out of Cameroon that is suddenly in such high demand, every available NYC studio is churning out a quicky version.

From Billboard's Top Singles Picks:

We may be seeing the birth of a legit interest in African music melded into an American form which hits both the top 40 and soul markets. Previously, African music has been closely associated with jazz. Now, reports coming out of the East indicate there's a rush on to cover the tune "Soul Makossa" with early indications that both rock and R&B stations are taking a chance on the tune with its African chant and insistent rhythms.
    Bobby Shad of Mainstream, who tried unsuccessfully to buy the original master which was released by Societe Francais du Son in France says the reasons people enjoy the tune are because of African, jazz, and rhythmic ingredients. Mainstream, normally a jazz and soul label, is running very hard with its own studio band called Afrique. So frantic has the pace been to expand the interest initially generated around the New York market, that Shad, for example, after trying for one week to locate the original master's owner , got his studio band together and recorded them on Monday May 7 and mailed 180 dubs to disk jockeys two days later. Shad already has his LP ready.
    In listening last week to both Shad's copy and one by another studio band, All Directions on Buddah, we were caught by the similarity of sound on both disks. We've been told there are other singles out or planned but none has arrived at our office. Still, the music is catchy and that's what counts.
    Full page ad : SOUL MAKOSSA by Afrique; Reads:
    Sold: 532,000 Singles
    Shipping Monday: 125,000 albums

Full-page ad by AVCO Records ; Reads:
    Question: Why is the Simon Kenyatta record of SOUL MAKOSSA different from all the other versions?
    Answer: Because its SELLING!
    -- more next week.

SatansBlues
    Man Bad Weather by the Supremes was really a chart stinker.
    The Soul Sauce column pipes in next week
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 05-25-2023 at 03:19 PM.

Man Bad Weather by the Supremes was really a chart stinker.

Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #22

June 2, 1973

last week: 151
    including:

recommended :
    MICHAEL OLATUNJI - Soul Makossa PT. 1 [3:00] producer: Chuck Gregory for M. Prod. writer: M. Dibango; Rayven, Cooper Paramount 0222 [ The most original version out thus far which does not copy the original French version completely, Conga drum, more African chants help.]

MANU DIBANGO - Soul Makossa [4:30]; producer: none listed; writer: M. Dibango, Rayven Atlantic 2971 [This is the original master which started the race going].
    _________

Stevie Wonder is still in the Top Ten and Gladys Knight joins him on the Top 40. Temptations are off the charts this week with their second release from their current album about to strike. Supremes are lodged just outside the Hot 100 while ex-Supreme Diana Ross breaks through with her second MORNING title in a row. Six Motown records on the Hot 100 this round.
    _________

The Top 10:

After one week at #1 , FRANKENSTEIN by Edgar Winter's Group dips to #3 allowing two British blokes to have the top two records of the week, Elton John with DANIEL at #2 and Paul McCartney at #1 with MY LOVE. Unusual for the #1 single and the #1 album to be from the same artist as it is this week. Even more unusual for the artist to replace himself at the top of the album list as Paul has done with RED ROSE SPEEDWAY which takes out The Beatles' GREATEST HITS 1967-1970 package. Two new tenners: at #7 from #12, I'M GONNA LOVE YOU JUST A LITTLE MORE BABY puts Barry White in the Top Ten for his first time as is also the case for Clint Holmes and PLAYGROUND IN MY MIND at #10 from #14. Now out: To #13 from #9 is Skylark's WILDFLOWER and Dobie Gray is about to DRIFT AWAY with the biggest song of his career peaking at #5, now to #11 from #8. Disco will return Gray to the Top 40 one more time in 1979.

The Top 40:

Motown:

YOU ARE THE SUNSHINE OF MY LIFE - Stevie Wonder is #6 dropping from #5.
    ^DADDY COULD SWEAR, I DECLARE - Gladys Knight & The Pips DEBUTS at #38

Biggest mover in the Top 40: 20 pegs :
    GIVE ME LOVE GIVE ME PEACE ON EARTH - George Harrison

Five arrivals, all US, 3 +Top 10 bound+, 0 PI related, 1 Motown, 0 by proxy
    Highest debut:
    +
    KODACHROME+
    - Paul Simon#28 up 29 from #57 [3rd Top 40 hit]

+
    BAD BAD LEROY BROWN+
    - Jim Croce #31 #44 [4th Top 40 hit]
    +SHAMBALA+ - Three Dog Night #36 up 19 from #55 [16th Top 40 hit]
    DADDY COULD SWEAR, I DECLARE - Gladys Knight & The Pips #38 up 4 from #42 [16th Top 40 hit, 13th and final under Motown]
    BACK WHEN MY HAIR WAS SHORT - Gunhill Road #40 up 3 from #43 [One Hit Wonder]

The Hot 100:

nine enter: 5 Top 40 bound, 3 # first time to chart on the Hot 100, 1 Philly International related, 1 Motown, 0 by proxy
    Highest debut:
    third tier:
    #79 - YESTERDAY ONCE MORE - Carpenters

#83 - DOIN' IT TO DEATH - Fred Wesley/JBs
    #85 - I'LL ALWAYS LOVE MY MAMA - Intruders
    #87 - GIVING IT ALL AWAY - Roger Daltrey
    #89 - TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING - Diana Ross
    #90 - NEVER, NEVER, NEVER - Shirley Bassey
    #96 - MISDEMEANOR - Foster Sylvers
    #99 - I'M LEAVING YOU - Engelbert Humperdinck
    #100 - LOVE AND HAPPINESS - Ernest Jackson
    1st week: ^TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING - Diana Ross #89 DEBUT

3rd week: ^BROTHERS GONNA WORK IT OUT - Willie Hutch #93 up 1 from #94
    4th week: ^TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE SUCH SWEET MUSIC - Spinners #91 up 2 from #93
    5th week: ^WITH A CHILD'S HEART - Michael Jackson #50 up 1 from #51
    6th week: ^ DADDY COULD SWEAR, I DECLARE - Gladys Knight & The Pips Top 40 from #42.
    15th week: MASTERPIECE - Temptations OFF from #56

The title track of the Temptations last LP out of the Detroit studios. The long single [4:22] is still only one third of the LP track's 13 minute total. MASTERPIECE spent two weeks at #1 on the Soul chart and peaked at #7 on the Top 40. It's the Temptations last Top 10 hit not counting a shared title in '91 with Rod Stewart.

:

#101 - BAD WEATHER - Supremes - last week: #101
    #124 - BONGO ROCK - Incredible Bongo Band*
    *disco significant record

MGM is proving to be one of the more diverse labels and is striking gold with some surprises such as Sammy Davis Jr. and CANDY MAN [3 weeks #1] and little Jimmy Osmond's LONG HAIRED LOVER FROM LIVERPOOL [#1 UK]. So why not release an album that's the result of music created for the B-movie thriller, THE THING WITH TWO HEADS that focuses on bongo drums.Also on the album, the timely DUELING BONGOS. The Incredible Bongo Band is a creation of MGM executive Michael Viner. He already has a reputation from putting out an album of 20 minutes of silence on each side , concluded with applause at the end called THE BEST OF MARCEL MARCEAO.

BONGO ROCK first came out in 1959 by Korean war veteran Preston Epps and it went to #14. Epps made a career of bongo themed tunes. The Safari's WIPE OUT [#2 1963] leaned heavily on this tune.

More bongos:
    The Bubbling Under chart is a bit more fluid than others and singles can bounce on and off. On this week, but off next [for good?] , at #111, is HELLO STRANGER by Fire And Rain, a married couple out of Tucson that weren't wanting the cut released as a single, but Mercury Records has anyway. Easy Listening has taken to it where it is #24.

HELLO STRANGER was conceived in Detroit by teen Barbara Lewis in 1963, inspired when performing with her father who made the local club rounds, and hearing calls from the audience like "Hello stranger, seems like it's been awhile". Her song went to #3 Pop and #1 Soul. In 1971 The Supremes and The Four Tops comboed on a version.
    Bongos put the 'beat' in beatnik and the party in beach music and will do the same for disco. The O'Jays opening for I LOVE MUSIC [6 weeks #1 disco] a prime example.

A very good week for:
    Buddhist enlightenment
    It's been awhile since there's been competing singles of the same song by two different acts. Through miscommunication, Texan BW Stevenson got a hold of SHAMBALA [a mythical Central Asia destination for well-being] , liked what he heard, and recorded his country tinged version of it. Three Dog Night, already with intentions of using it, rushed a recording session of SHAMBALA to thwart off the "steal". Their version in four weeks now breaks the Top 40 while BW Stevenson's record, in its fifth week, is behind at #71, but with a bullet. Let the fight over the song about the road to harmony begin!

Julian Coleman's column:
    Soul Sauce and Carlton Harris in Philadelphia are among the strong believers that "Bad Weather," by the Supremes is a hit. Can we hear it from their record label ????????
    Full-page ad for Eddie Kendricks latest single, DARLING COME BACK HOME.

SOUL MAKOSSA
    :
    Two singles get reviewed [see above]
    full-page ads reads: The original Fiesta Recording Is Now On Atlantic : Manu Dibango's SOUL MAKOSSA:
    half-page ad reads: New York City's #1 Smash BLOCKBUSTER: "SOUL MAKOSSA" by Original Nairobi Afro Band ....also the only recording that features the "MYSTERY VOCAL" at the end.

Billboard's Hot 100 chart gets a modernizing next week with the introduction of computers to facilitate the charting process and some other tweaking .
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 05-30-2023 at 05:51 PM.

Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #23

June 9, 1973

last week: 141
    including:
    POP
    also recommended:
    MARTIN AND FINLEY - It's Another Sunday [3:16]; producers; Bob Gaudio , James Carmichael; writers:T. Martin Jr., G. Finley; Motown 1242

This issue's big headline:

CBS Files Suit Against Davis; Claims "Improper" Use Of Funds
    New York - Columbia Broadcasting System Inc - has discharged Clive Davis, president of the CBS/ Records Group , and has commenced action in the Supreme Court, New York County, charging Davis with improper use of funds
    ________

At last the persistent BAD WEATHER by The Supremes heats up enough to enter the Hot 100. Now whether WEATHER finally takes off from there, remains to be seen. Diana Ross' latest bullets to #63 [see below] and is the Soul Singles chart 's highest debut at #36. Stevie Wonder's big hit is still that, only dropping a couple places and remaining in the country's Top 10. Two new Motown singles arrive by stalwarts: The Supremes and The Temptations, and with no drop offs there's a total of 8 Motown releases charting.

The Top 10:

Paul McCartney's MY LOVE repeats at #1. Sylvia's PILLOW TALK is up one to #3 and the biggest mover from #10 to #5 is Clint Holmes PLAYGROUND IN MY MIND. Just one new entry: The Doobie Bros.' LONG TRAIN RUNNING is up twelve points from #22 to #10. The Sweet's LITTLE WILLIE's long run in the Top 10 ends with a big fall to #22 from #8.

The Top 40:

Motown:

YOU ARE THE SUNSHINE OF MY LIFE - Stevie Wonder is still Top 10 strong, to #8 dropping from #6.
    ^DADDY COULD SWEAR, I DECLARE - Gladys Knight & The Pips, small jump to #35 from #38

Biggest mover in the Top 40: 17 joints:
    SHAMBALA - 3 Dog Night to #19 from #36

only three newbies, all US, 1 +Top 10 bound+, 1 PI related, 0 Motown, 0 by proxy
    Highest debut:
    YOU'LL NEVER GET TO HEAVEN [IF YOU BREAK MY HEART ]
    - Stylistics #36 up 17 from #53 [7th Top 40 hit]

BEHIND CLOSED DOORS
    - Charlie Rich - #43 up 5 from #38 [3rd Top 40 hit]
    +BOOGIE WOOGIE BUGLE BOY+ - Bette Midler - #39 up 10 from #49 [2nd Top 40 hit]

The Hot 100:

Ten enter: only 1 Top 40 bound, 1 # first time to chart on the Hot 100, 0 Philly International related, 2 Motown, 1 by proxy
    Highest debut:
    third tier:
    #73 - THERE'S NO ME WITHOUT YOU - Manhattans
    #74- FINDERS KEEPERS - Chairman Of the Board HDH label release
    #80 - PLASTIC MAN - Temptations
    #87 - BAD WEATHER - Supremes
    #90 - I CAN MAKE IT THROUGH THE DAY [BUT OH THOSE NIGHTS] - Ray Charles
    #92 - BLACKBYRD - Donald Byrd
    #94 - MY HEART JUST KEEPS ON BREAKING - The Chi-Lites
    #96 - SOUL MAKOSSA - Afrique *
    #97- MOTHER-IN-LAW - Clarence Carter
    #99 - I DON'T WANT TO MAKE YOU WAIT - Delfonics

Motown:
    debuts:
    two:
    PLASTIC MAN - Temptations #80 DEBUT
    BAD WEATHER - Supremes #87 DEBUT

2nd week: ^TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING - Diana Ross #65 up 24 from #89

4th week: ^BROTHERS GONNA WORK IT OUT - Willie Hutch #71 up 22 from #93
    5th week: TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE SUCH SWEET MUSIC - Spinners #91 again
    6th week: WITH A CHILD'S HEART - Michael Jackson #55 down 5 from #50

BUBBLING UNDER THE HOT 100:

Hot 100 - BAD WEATHER - Supremes - last week: #101
    #110 - DARLING COME BACK HOME - Eddie Kendricks
    #116 - SWEET HARMONY - Smokey Robinson

A very good week for:
    Perry Como
    It's impossible to know when you're experiencing your last significant hit as is happening for Perry Como with his version of Don McLeans 1970 song AND I LOVE YOU SO .

Through the late forties and all of the fifties Como's name was expected as a regular on the higher rungs of the charts, selling millions of records. CATCH A FALLING STAR was the industry's first certified million seller. Hit wise the sixties were leaner but Como was still busy recording and doing his TV shows, especially the Christmas specials.
    When ITS IMPOSSIBLE became a hit in 1970 [#10] and the neighbor kids told him he was on the Top 40 he didn't know what they were talking about.
    That he's back again is also a nice surprise .

AND I LOVE YOU SO
    has peaked at #29 [now #33] and has reached #1 on the Adult Contemporary chart. In the UK the record is huge repeating its #3 best position again this week and will chart Top 20 for over half a year and Como's album created around it will reach UK #1.
    Not a bad time, close to thirty years since his first charter, for the mild-mannered man who invented casual, and an Italian immigrant who couldn't speak the English language when he arrived here.

With Perry Como being held at #3 on the British charts, what tunes are outdoing him? At #2, another American of Italian heritage, born in Detroit , Suzi Quatro with her first UK hit, CAN THE CAN. Outdoing her: at #1, Roy Wood's group Wizzard and their first of a string of Top 10 charters:

[kept waiting to hear that French horn get played]
    How could SEE MY BABY JIVE not be #1.

This issue of Billboard sees some big changes to The Hot 100 and there's a lengthy first page article to break it down .
    Short version: Computers will now be used for a quicker tabulation resulting is less potential for human error. 45 outlets are "dwindling" so to adjust, more input from one-stops and radio and more credence will be given to jukebox reports [purchases by jukebox suppliers account for 50 % of singles sales] Because of this new yardstick this week's Billboard has omitted showing last weeks rankings to avoid confusion*

[*by looking in the last printed issue, we can render the results. The recalculated positions are not that glaring. Most notably FRANKENSTEIN dropped from #1 to #3 last week, and now its back up at #2.]

The biggest surprise is the huge reduction of bulleted [starred] singles. Last week 20 of the Top 40 singles were bulleted. From now on no singles in the Top 30 will have a bullet because by the very fact of by that ranking, they are strong singles. On the entire Hot 100 last week, 44 titles were bulleted. From now on there will be a total of 7 singles on the Hot 100 that will have a bullet and all will be below the Top 30. That means 93% of the records each week will not get bullets. Seems radical and makes the chart look far less dynamic and competitive. Among the seven this week: TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING by Diana Ross.

Full-page ad: Rare Earth's latest album MA
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-05-2023 at 11:38 AM.

Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #24

June 16, 1973

Number of singles reviewed this week: 136
    last week: 85
    including:

SOUL
    THE UNDISPUTED TRUTH - LAW OF THE LAND -[3:37]; producer: Norman Whitfield; writer: Norman Whitfield Gordy 7130 Glorious is the word which best describes this epic production in terms of musical magnitude. The lyrics relate to how the black man looks at the world which has been holding him back. The message is sad but the orchestral sound is dynamic and uptempoed and thus happy.
    .____________

Motown Review:

Nothing strong from Motown occurring this week:
    Former #1 tune, YOU ARE THE SUNSHINE OF MY LIFE remains the label's biggest record but now from a lower perch at #17. Four records are moving up but not impressively: Diana Ross' TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING, after advancing 24 places last week, this week moves up just 3, and newcomer Willie Hutch after his similar bolt of 22 places last week, moves up just 1 spot this charting.
    Most surprising: The Supremes are back on the Bubbling Under Chart, after spending all of one week on the Hot 100.
    Two Motowners drop off and none enter, for a total of six 45s from the company this time around.

The Top 10:

Three Beatles in the Top Ten. This includes three weeks at #1 for Paul McCartney and Wings with MY LOVE, a love song McCartney created for his wife Linda back in the sixties, surprisingly arranged by Richard Hewson , who under Phil Spector's leadership Paul felt ruined his LONG AND WINDING ROAD composition. At their heals, at #2 up 3 from #5, PLAYGROUND IN MY MIND by one hit wonder Clint Holmes from Washington DC. [see below]

Three records strongly advance into the Top Ten, the highest by fifth Beatle Billy Preston, it took 3 months, but WILL IT GO ROUND IN CIRCLES is at #7 up from #14, below that, two fast climbers [5 weeks each] George Harrison's GIVE ME LOVE is #8 from #13 and Paul Simon's KODACHROME is #9 from #17.
    The three that make way: Oddly after a big bolt of 12 places into the Top 10 last week, this week The Doobie Bros suddenly drop out to #12, giving a short run on top for LONG TRAIN RUNNING. 4-month clubber HOCUS POCUS by Focus is now #16 from #9 and Stevie Wonder's YOU ARE THE SUNSHINE OF MY LIFE leaves its' long Top 10 run dropping to #17 from #8.

The Top 40:

Motown:

YOU ARE THE SUNSHINE OF MY LIFE - Stevie Wonder from #8 descends to #17.
    ^DADDY COULD SWEAR, I DECLARE - Gladys Knight & The Pips, small jump to #32 from #35.

Biggest mover in the Top 40: 9 places:
    BOOGIE WOOGIE BUGLE BOY - Bette Midler #30 from #39

just four break-ins, all US, 3 +Top 10 bound+, 0 PI related, 0 Motown, 0 by proxy
    Highest debut:
    +SMOKE ON THE WATER+ - Deep Purple #35 up 10 from #45 [3rd and final Top 40 hit]

+YESTERDAY ONCE MORE+
    - Carpenters #38 up 31 from #69 [10th Top 40 hit]
    SO VERY HARD TO GO - Tower Of Power #39 up 22 from #61 [2nd and biggest Top 40 hit]
    +DIAMOND GIRL+ - Seals and Crofts #40 up 4 from #44 [3rd Top 40 hit]

The Hot 100:

Ten starters: 3 Top 40 bound, 2 first time to chart on the Hot 100, 0 Philly International related, 0 Motown, 1 by proxy
    Highest debut:
    third tier:
    #71 - GOIN' HOME - Osmonds

#75 - WHERE PEACEFUL WATERS FLOW - Gladys Knight/ Pips former Motown act
    #86 - BE WHAT YOU ARE - Staple Singers
    #89 - NOBODY WANTS YOU WHEN YOU'RE DOWN AND OUT - Bobby Womack
    #90 - GIVING IT ALL AWAY - Roger Daltrey
    #95 - YOU WERE ALWAYS THERE - Donna Fargo
    #97 - BLOCKBUSTER - The Sweet
    #98 - MUSIC EVERYWHERE - Tufano & Giammerese
    #99 - WATERGATE - Dickie Goodman
    #100 - KIDS SAY THE DARNDEST THINGS [sic] - Tammy Wynette

Motown:
    debuts:
    none

2nd week: ^PLASTIC MAN - Temptations #77 up 3 from #80
    2nd week: BAD WEATHER - Supremes OFF from #87
    3rd week: ^TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING - Diana Ross #62 up 3 from #65
    5th week: ^BROTHERS GONNA WORK IT OUT - Willie Hutch #70 up 1 from #71
    6th week: TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE SUCH SWEET MUSIC - Spinners OFF from #91
    7th week: WITH A CHILD'S HEART - Michael Jackson #56 down 1 from #55

Off: two
    A rain on the Supremes parade as their BAD WEATHER single ,after having finally jumping the line to become a verified Hot 100 single at #87, just one week later slips out.

Motown has about spun all they can from what's been canned by The Spinners. In spite of freshening up their 60s b-side release TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE SUCH SWEET MUSIC to sound more Philly, Motown's last charting single by The Spinners fizzles at #91 while the group's latest Atlantic release, ONE OF A KIND [ LOVE AFFAIR], closes in on the Top 10 at #13 while repeating its spot at #1 on the Soul chart.

BUBBLING UNDER THE HOT 100:

#103 - BAD WEATHER - Supremes - last week: #87
    #112 - BABY COME BACK HOME [sic]- Eddie Kendricks last week: #108
    #109 - THERE YOU GO - Edwin Starr -DEBUT
    #119 - SWEET HARMONY - Smokey Robinson last week: #119
    #121 - BONGO ROCK - Incredible Bongo Band return

A very good week for:
    Records counted as out

With Billboard's new tabulation process, something new has resulted this week: dropping singles within the Top 40 , going back up. I can only recall #1 songs sometimes returning to that spot , but that's it, all other positioned singles went continuously downward once tracking that direction. *
    [Edgar Winters FRANKENSTEIN last week went back up to #2 after dropping to #3 from #1, the first week of Billboard's new calculation methods. This week its down to #8]
    Back up:
    two weeks ago: #18, last week: #20, this week: #18 - I'M DOING FINE NOW - New York City
    two weeks ago:#21, last week: #28, this week: #22 - LEAVING ME - Independents
    two weeks ago: #8, last week: #24, this week: #23 - LITTLE WILLIE - Sweet
    two weeks ago: #25, last week: #31, this week: #27 - NO MORE MR NICE GUY - Alice Cooper

Incredible that a remake of an unnoticed record by an unknown artist in 1971

has languished since its release in June 1972, one year ago, but is now poised to be the next #1 as PLAYGROUND IN MY MIND as re-recorded by another unknown artist, Clint Holmes, has a solid jump to #2 from #5, this despite no retrievable evidence of any working of the song at the time by Clint himself.

Here's a performance from decades later:

Full page ad with close -up head shot of a hatted Jermaine Jackson promoting his new album COME INTO MY LIFE

SOUL MAKOSSA:

Banner ad across the bottom of the front cover page stating available this week: The Original SOUL MAKOSSA by Manu Dibango Album On Atlantic Records

Concert review:

HERBIE HANCOCK POINTER SISTERS
    Troubadour, Los Angeles
    Oakland's Pointer Sisters have the potential to become one of the most important entertainment units in the world. Good humored, visually awesome in their thrift shop 1940s drag, and technically virtuoso the four Pointers and their acoustic rhythm trio have gotten better word-of-mouth in the LA music community than any new acts in months. Pretty good for their first job since quitting as Taj Mahal's chorus and signing with Blue Thumb. - Nat Freeland

New by-line for The Soul Sauce column: Shelly Heber
    Where's Julian Coleman ? No explanation given.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-15-2023 at 02:00 AM.

Chart #25

June 23, 1973

Number of singles reviewed this week: 126
    last week: 136
    including:

Soul
    also recommended:

THE MIRACLES - Don't Let It End [Till You Let It Begin] [3:05] Producers: Freddie Perren, Fonce Mizell; writers: F. Perren, C. Yarian; Tamla 54237

ULTRA HIGH FREQUENCY - Get On The Right Track [3:05]; producers: Stan Watson , Norman Harris; writers Norman Harris, Alan Felder Wand 11257*

FATBACK BAND - Street Dance - producer: Fatback records, writers: JW King JA Flipping, B. Curtis, Perception 526

_______

The Motown Review:
    The Temptations are this week's hot spot for the label as PLASTIC MAN ascends 26 notches in its 3rd chart week as it zeros in on the Top 40. It is also one of the coveted seven singles of the week to have a bullet [star]. Diana Ross' touching TOUCH single can't seem to gain momentum, on the charts for a month and still in the bottom half of the Hot 100. It is also moving up slowly on the Soul chart and surprisingly, only modestly on the Easy Listening chart. One record gives up the fight this round, Michael Jackson's WITH A CHILD'S HEART, creating a rare absence of the Jackson name altogether and no new Motowners debut for a total of five releases charting.

The Top 10:

Paul McCartney's well-loved MY LOVE is now #1 for four weeks. Clint Holmes repeats at #2. The story of the week though is the return of The Doobie Bros. LONG TRAIN RUNNIN' which quickly dropped out of the Top 10 when Billboard began its new calculating process. It is now #9 its best so far. Have never seen a single return to the Top 10 before within its current run. Also just slipping in at #10 from #11: RIGHT PLACE, WRONG TIME by Dr. John. Out: Two former #1 songs, Dawn's TIE A YELLOW RIBBON from #10 to #18 and Edgar Winter's FRANKENSTEIN to #13 from #6.

The Top 40:

Motown:

YOU ARE THE SUNSHINE OF MY LIFE - Stevie Wonder setting from #17 down to #32.
    ^DADDY COULD SWEAR, I DECLARE - Gladys Knight & The Pips, jumps to #24 from #32 .

Biggest mover in the Top 40: 15 places:
    +SMOKE ON THE WATER+ - Deep Purple #20 from #35

5 entries, very mixed bag , 4 US, 1UK, 0 +Top 10 bound+, 0 PI related, 0 Motown, 0 by proxy
    Highest debut
    MONEY - Pink Floyd #33 up 11 from #44 [ *first time to chart, only 70's entry]

LET'S PRETEND
    - Raspberries #36 up 5 from #41 [3rd Top 40 hit, rare re-entry - originally entered on May 12]
    GIVE YOUR BABY A STANDING OVATION - Dells #38 up 4 from # 42 [8th and final Top 40 hit]
    SATIN SHEETS - Jeanne Pruett #39 up 13 from #52 [One Hit Wonder]
    DOIN' IT TO DEATH - Fred Wesley & The JBs #40 up 5 from #45 [One Hit Wonder]

The Hot 100:

Thirteen starters: 10 Top 40 bound, 3 first time to chart on the Hot 100, 0 Philly International related, 0 Motown, 1 by proxy
    Highest debut:
    third tier:
    #75 -FEELIN' STRONGER EVERY DAY - Chicago

#76 - GET DOWN - Gilbert Sullivan
    #78 - HOW CAN I TELL HER - Lobo
    #80 - I BELIEVE IN YOU [YOU BELIEVE IN ME] - Johnny Taylor
    #81 - ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH - Four Tops [former Motown act]
    #83 - BROTHER LOUIE - Stories
    #86 - DELTA DAWN - Helen Reddy
    #87 - OVER THE HILL AND FAR AWAY - Led Zeppelin
    #88 - SOUL MAKOSSA - Manu Dibango*
    #92 - TEQUILA SUNRISE - Eagles
    #97 - HE DID WITH ME - Vickie Lawrence
    #99 - THE MORNING AFTER - Maureen McGovern
    #100 - YOU ALWAYS COME BACK [TO HURTING ME] - Johnny Rodriguez

Motown:
    debuts:
    none
    3rd week: ^PLASTIC MAN - Temptations #51 up 26 from #77
    4th week: ^TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING - Diana Ross #58 up 4 from #62
    6th week: ^BROTHERS GONNA WORK IT OUT - Willie Hutch #69 up 1 from #70
    8th week: WITH A CHILD'S HEART - Michael Jackson OFF from #56

Off: One

Strike two for Stevie Wonder as BAD WEATHER still flounders and now WITH A CHILD'S HEART also penned by him, fails to get Michael Jackson into the Top 40, incredibly as the follow-up to the #1 song BEN. Dredged up from a B-side release from Stevie in 1968, Freddie Perren is unable to give the number his magic touch. The subject matter might seem at odds with Michael's current age as he shifts into his young adult years.
    The album it's from is also failing, after 8 weeks of charting, the LP moves up one this week to #92. The cover photo misleadingly shows Michael sitting with a guitar, along with the title MUSIC AND ME, suggesting Michael is composing or at least playing an instrument on this project. Neither is true and Michael is not happy about it, and its unclear why Motown, which wouldn't allow Michael such expression, wants to then misrepresent their artist as having done so .

:

#101 - BAD WEATHER - Supremes - last week: #103
    #108 - BABY COME BACK HOME [sic] - Eddie Kendricks last week : #112
    #109 - THERE YOU GO - Edwin Starr - last week: #109
    #119 - SWEET HARMONY - Smokey Robinson last week: #119
    #114 - BONGO ROCK last week: #121

A very good week for:
    Beatles fans
    Including Billy Preston, 3 Beatles have records on the week's Top 5 singles. Paul McCartney's latest album RED ROSE SPEEDWAY is bumped off the top spot to #2 by George Harrison's LIVING IN THE MATERIAL WORLD which surges there from #11. Meanwhile their GREATEST HITS 1967-1970 and GREATEST HITS 1962-1966 are #5 and #11 respectively.

As a part of the super busy recording sessions out of Philly, Ultra High Frequency will turn out to be a briefly formed group with just a couple of singles and no albums, but their WERE ON THE RIGHT TRACK will take on a life of its own. In 1975 Tom Moulton will resurrect it on his album of lost Scepter records , called DISCO GOLD,

and it will become a club hit as will a cover version by South Shore Commission. For now this brief mention in Billboard [see above] is about all it will do .

Mislabeled GET ON THE RIGHT TRACK on promos, the correct title is the lyric WE'RE ON THE RIGHT TRACK.

Who are the Fatback Band ? A New York 7-player [and growing] ensemble group formed by session drummer Bill Curtis to perform a street version of New Orleans Jazz [using the fatback beat] with funk. Now signed with Perception Records they will record 3 non-charting albums there. For now, STREET DANCE featuring the increasingly popular use of a party background, will garner them a Top 30 Soul charter, and they will find future success on the disco charts, but as for the Hot 100, the best they will ever do is bubble under.

SOUL MAKOSSA:

Two competing versions now on the Hot 100: At #71 up 13 from #84 is the version by Afrique in its 3rd week. Manu Dibango's original version debuts at#88.

Full-page ad for The Four Seasons new single HOW COME [Motown] from the movie TOM SAWYER
    Two-page ad for new Sly Stone LP
    Full-page ad for Isley Bros single: WHO'S THAT LADY and a mention of T-NECK now
    being distributed by CBS.

Still missing: Julian Coleman. By-line this week is Elliot Tiegel and the Soul Sauce column is focused solely on discussing 20th Century Records.

The Hot 100 still swirling from chart calculation adjustments. Already noted, The Doobie Brothers 45 re-enters the Top 10 during its initial run [has this historically ever happened before?] as has also happened with the Raspberries hit re-entering the Top 40 [likewise has this ever happened?]. At the least these records probably both suffer by the suggestion that their runs had peaked ... Also this week, New York City & Perry Como continue to re-climb.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-27-2023 at 02:05 PM.

Chart #26

June 30, 1973

Number of singles reviewed this week: 112
    last week: 126

including:

Soul:
    MARVIN GAYE - Let's Get It On [3:58] producers: Marvin Gaye, Ed Townsend; writer: Ed Townsend, Tamla 5423. This is a male tearjerker. Marvin asking his baby to let her "love come out" and get it on with the business of being. There is lots of vocal energy emerging from Marvin's pleas as well as supporting voices and a large orchestra, which adds to the pleadings.

FIRST TIME AROUND:
    EVERYDAY PEOPLE - I Like What I Like Part II [2:25] Producer : Steve Kennedy writer: B. Wheaton. Catchy dance song which is all melody and repeat phraseology.]

Motown Review:

Motown looking a little thin right now with no songs above the Top 20 mark and just one record on the Top 40 by Gladys Knight with Stevie Wonder dropping off. Diana Ross gains momentum this week surpassing The Temptations latest and both are now poised to break into the Top 40. Edwin Starr returns to the Hot 100 after being absent since 1971. His 45 brings the total count this week to six. Marvin Gaye gets a pick review with LET'S GET IT ON which the magazine characterizes as a "tearjerker" which seems to misinterpret this bout of seduction taking place.

The Top 10:

Two Beatles fight for the #1 position with their songs about love with George Harrison conquering with a five place jump from #5 and demanding GIVE ME LOVE [GIVE ME PEACE ON EARTH] . Not that Paul's been shortchanged, his LOVE dips just one to #2 after a full month run at #1. Restless chart, only Sylvia's PILLOW TALK repeats its' holding - #6 after a former peak of #3. Just one song nudges in, at #10 from #11 , SHAMBALA by 3 Dog Night , causing Elton John and DANIEL to drop to #15 from #8.

The Top 40:

Motown:
    One record from Motown is on the Top 40:

YOU ARE THE SUNSHINE OF MY LIFE - Stevie Wonder barely OFF from #32 to #42.
    ^DADDY COULD SWEAR, I DECLARE - Gladys Knight & The Pips, moves to #22 from #24 .

Biggest mover in the Top 40: 12 places:

DOIN' IT TO DEATH - Fred Wesley & The JBs #28 from #40

4 scorers, , all US, 1+Top 10 bound+, 2 PI related, 0 Motown, 0 by proxy
    Highest debut:
    +MONSTER MASH+ - Bobby Boris Pickett #31 up 12 from #43 [3rd Top 40 Hit, return of #1 record in 1962]

MISDEMEANOR
    - Foster Sylvers #32 up 17 from #49 [One Hit Wonder]
    I'LL ALWAYS LOVE MY MAMA - Intruders #39 up 18 #57 [3rd and final Top 40 hit]
    TIME TO GET DOWN - O'Jays #40 up 5 from #45 [3rd Top 40 hit]

The Hot 100:

Seven starters: 2 Top 40 bound, 2 first time to chart on the Hot 100, 0 Philly International related, 1 Motown, 0 by proxy
    Highest debut:
    third tier:
    #78 - IF YOU WANT ME TO STAY - Sly & Family Stone

#84 - UNEASY RIDER -Charlie Daniels
    #94 - THERE YOU GO - Edwin Starr
    #96 - BLACKBYRD - Donald Byrd [return]
    #97 - TOP OF THE WORLD - Lynn Anderson
    #98 - MY MERRY-GO-ROUND - Johnny Nash
    #100 - HELLO STRANGER - Fire & Rain
    _________

Motown:
    debuts: one
    1st week: ^THERE YOU GO - Edwin Starr #94 DEBUT

4th week: ^PLASTIC MAN - Temptations #45 up 7 from #51
    5th week: ^TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING - Diana Ross #44 up 14 from #58
    7th week: ^BROTHERS GONNA WORK IT OUT - Willie Hutch #67 up 2 from #69
    16th week: YOU ARE THE SUNSHINE OF MY LIFE - Stevie Wonder #42 down 10 from #32

:

#106 - BABY COME BACK HOME [sic] - Eddie Kendricks last week : #108
    Hot 100 - THERE YOU GO - Edwin Starr - last week: #109
    #115 - SWEET HARMONY - Smokey Robinson last week: #119
    #107 - BONGO ROCK - Incredible Bongo Band last week: #114

In Billboard:

With no fanfare: The Soul Singles chart expands from 50 listed records to 60.
    At #60: BONGO ROCK.
    Eliot Tiegel repeats his role as the Soul Sauce column writer and his format is a big change from the listings of hot singles by Julian Coleman, instead writing about a singular topic for the entire column, this week the continuing of a conversation with 20th Century Records. Gone: 45 Pick Of The Week and the LP Pick Of The Week. And Julian Coleman.

A very good week for:
    Music for the upcoming holidays:
    Two spooky Top 40 charters seem poised for Halloween play, FRANKENSTEIN [#16 in its 17th charting week], and Bobby Boris Pickett's MONSTER MASH which is the highest debuting single on the Top 40 .

Another song battle has emerged: a full page ad from RCA announces that the theme for the latest James Bond movie LIVE AND LET DIE is available on 45 as sung in a cabaret scene in the film by Ohio born B.J. Arnau :

Arnau's version was first created with the Fifth Dimension in mind. The song written by Paul and Linda McCartney, and arranged by returning famed Beatle producer George Martin, is also heard by Wings over the movie's opening credits. That version is already #14 in the UK. Recorded amongst the sessions for RED ROSE SPEEDWAY back in 1972, fans too quick to grab Paul's latest album released in April and containing MY LOVE, might be disappointed to learn LIVE AND LET DIE is not on there .

Speaking of James Bond movies and the music therein, Welch native, Shirley Bassey has had success performing two James Bond themes thus far, GOLD FINGER, her biggest US hit [#8 in 1965] and DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER [#57 1971.] No matter that she was skipped for the LIVE AND LET DIE episode, Bassey is on the charts anyway.
    Her English transcribed version of the huge 1972 Italian hit by Mina, GRANDE GRANDE GRANDE, now called NEVER NEVER NEVER is moving toward The Top 40 in its 5th week, at #52 while entering the Top 10 of the Easy Listening chart at #8. [where Bette Midler's BOOGIE WOOGIE BUGLE BOY repeats at #1.] NEVER NEVER NEVER has already peaked at #8 in the UK where it is still charting and it is currently #1 in South Africa. It will also top the Australian chart.

SOUL MAKOSSA:
    This week the Manu Dibango version, surprisingly , makes it onto the Easy Listening chart at #32.
    An article discusses the apparent slow down of the song's chart activity and the consensus is, too many competing versions that are confusing the public.

Full-page ad for Marvin Gaye's single that reads: Marvin Gaye's new single LET'S GET IT ON has got it. Get it.

Full-page ad for the Four Tops single ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH the theme from SHAFT IN AFRICA showing the drawn movie poster of Richard Roundtree.

Unique full-page ad for Eddie Kendrick's new LP of a drawn telephone with Motown offering a toll free telephone number 800-421-0780 to call to hear it.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 07-02-2023 at 06:12 PM.

Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #27

July 7, 1973

last week: 112

including:
    Soul:
    WILLIE HUTCH - Slick [3:26] ; producer: Willie Hutch writer: Willie Hutch Motown 1252 Composer-singer Hutch offers a fair warning about a sharpie on the prowl.Willie's voice is comparatively gentle in its attack, the instrumental attack carries a subtle form of fire. Another cameo on a street cat who is unsavory.

Motown Review:

And just like that, Motown is back in the game with two new singles entering the Top 40, one as the week's highest debut [#29], and the other as this week's lowest [#40]. When added to Gladys' current hit that is still climbing, now onto the chart's upper half, Motown has three on deck . The label is giving up on Willie Hutch's slow moving debut single from THE MACK movie and has now pressed the SHAFT sounding single #2 from it.
    The Hot 100 gets one new one from solo artist Smokey Robinson and none drop off so Motown is seven singles strong. Eight if we include the Supremes who just keep bubbling under.

The Top 10:

George Harrison and Paul McCartney step aside and the fifth Beatle finally gets a turn at the top with WILL IT GO ROUND IN CIRCLES, taking 15 weeks to do so. Paul Simon's KODACHROME also pushes forward to the #2 spot , while George Harrison's GIVE ME LOVE falls from #1 to one spot below Paul McCartney's MY LOVE at #3. Clint Holmes' PLAYGROUND IN MY MIND does a rare reversal and is now back up to #6 from #7 after having already peaked at #2 [currently #1 in Canada]. Big entry for BAD BAD LEROY BROWN and Jim Croce at #5 from #12. Also entering this week, once more its the Carpenters with YESTERDAY ONCE MORE #8 from #13. Goodbyes to: PILLOW TALK by Sylvia down to #16 from #6, and to LONG TRAIN RUNNING [again] now at #12 from #8 by The Doobie Bros.
    The Top 40:

Motown:
    Three records from Motown are on the Top 40:

^DADDY COULD SWEAR, I DECLARE - Gladys Knight & The Pips, moves to #19 from #22 .
    ^TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING - Diana Ross # 29 DEBUT [highest of the new arrivers]
    ^PLASTIC MAN - Temptations #40 DEBUT , barely in, but in.
    _________

Biggest mover in the Top 40: 7 spots
    {tie}:
    BAD BAD LEROY BROWN - Jim Croce from #12 to #5
    TIME TO GET DOWN - The O'jays to #33 from #40

6 newbies [all by veterans] , all US, 2+Top 10 bound+, 0 PI related, 2 Motown, 1 by proxy
    Highest debut:
    +TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING+ -Diana Ross #29 up 15 from #44 [7th Top 40 solo hit]

+FEELIN' STRONGER EVERY DAY+ - Chicago #32 up 33 from #63 [11th Top 40 hit]
    WHERE PEACEFUL WATERS FLOW - Gladys Knight & The Pips #34 up 16 from #51 [17th Top 40 hit]
    WHY ME - Kris Kristofferson #37 up 13 from #50 [2nd and final Top 40 hit]
    GOIN' HOME - Osmonds #39 up 9 from #48 [7th Top 40 hit]
    PLASTIC MAN - Temptations - #40 up 5 from #45 [32nd Top 40 hit]

-----

The Hot 100:

Thirteen starters: 6 Top 40 bound, 1 first time to chart on the Hot 100, 2 Philly International related, 1 Motown, 0 by proxy
    Highest debut:
    third tier:
    #69 LIVE AND LET DIE - Wings

#73 HERE I AM [COME AND TAKE ME] - Al Green
    #77 - ANGEL - Aretha Franklin
    #82n - LOVE LOVE LOVE - Donny Hathaway
    #86 - THE HURT - Cat Stevens
    #89 - SWEET CHARLIE BABY - Jackie Moore
    #91 - FRIEND OF MINE - Bill Withers
    #92 - ROLAND THE ROADIE AND GERTRUDE THE GROUPIE - Dr. Hook
    #94 - SWEET HARMONEY [sic] - Smokey Robinson
    #96 - IT'S FOREVER - The Ebonys
    #97 - LORD MR. FORD - Jerry Reed
    #98 - SMOKE SMOKE SMOKE THAT CIGARETTE - Commander Cody
    #99 - I WAS CHECKIN' OUT SHE WAS CHECKIN' IN - Don Covay

_________

Motown:
    1st week: ^ SWEET HARMONEY [sic] Smokey Robinson #94 DEBUT

2nd week: ^THERE YOU GO - Edwin Starr #84 up 10 from #94

5th week: ^PLASTIC MAN - Temptations Top 40 from #45
    6th week: ^TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING - Diana Ross Top 40 from #44
    8th week: BROTHERS GONNA WORK IT OUT - Willie Hutch #67 again
    17th week: YOU ARE THE SUNSHINE OF MY LIFE - Stevie Wonder #55 down 13 from #42

:

#108 - DARLING COME BACK HOME - Eddie Kendricks last week : #106
    Hot 100 - SWEET HARMONY - Smokey Robinson last week: #115
    #107 - BONGO ROCK - Incredible Bongo Band last week: #107

A very good week for:

Gladys Knight and The Pips

It's not often that a recording act has two singles on the Top 40, usually from each record passing each other as one goes up and the other goes down. So it's especially rare to have two where both are moving their way up, adding to that, from two different labels ...

Stevie Wonder has hit full stride, both as a recording artist and a performer. Two #1 records in a row, first with SUPERSTITION followed by YOU ARE THE SUNSHINE OF MY LIFE which is still on the Hot 100 in its 17th week.

A new Wonder album is just weeks away.

SOUL MAKOSSA:
    Manu Dibango's version gains momentum this week with a twenty point leap to #50 from #70, and moves up two to #32 on the now expanded Easy Listening chart from 40 to 50 titles.

On to plan B for Billboard's bulleted singles as the new design allowing exactly seven stars a week - ends this week. Unsatisfied readers have made Billboard reconsider their slim-downed designations, upping the number so the chart can once again look more alive.
    31 records this week therefore qualify for bullets.

EDITORIAL:

What's in a "Star"? When we introduced the Star Performer designation on our charts many years ago, we did so to single out those recordings which displayed the greatest strength. Then, as now, we felt that an over abundance of "Stars"on a chart would defeat the purpose for which the designation was created. It's like a race with all winners.
    In an effort to guard against this meaningless end, we recently instituted a policy whereby the Hot 100 chart would offer only seven "Stars"
    per week. '
    These good intentions, according to many readers, were too restrictive.
    While they agreed that excessive "Stars" dilute the worth of a chart's
    "Star" system, they spurred us to seek a happy medium.
    This week's Hot 100 is dedicated to those readers who want not-too-
    many "Stars," and not-too-few. For arm-chair chartologists, here's our
    new formula:
    Chart ----
    Position -- Upward Movement Required
    1 thru 10: 3 positions
    11 thru 20: 4 positions
    21 thru 30: 6 positions
    31 thru 40: 8 positions
    41 thru 50 :10 positions
    51 thru 60: 12 positions
    61 and down: 14 positions

Motown's "star" performers this week:
    One: TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING - Diana Ross

Full-page ad: for Frankie Valli's new Motown single, reads: YOU'VE GOT YOUR TROUBLES, I'VE GOT MINE
    "The only way to improve a classic is for Frankie Valli to sing it."

In 1965, the Fortunes were struggling after four failed singles and a renewed recording contract looking unlikely when Roger Greenaway and Roger Cook's first attempt at co-songwriting came their way. YOU'VE GOT YOUR TROUBLES brought the group good fortune, taking them to #2 in the UK , #7 in the US and #1 in Canada. The two Rogers continued to write, the result is a long list of successes especially on the British charts. Next year they will write a UK top ten hit that when redone in the US will become one of disco's groundbreaking songs.

Full-page Ad for new Diana Ross LP showing the cover and reading: TOUCH
    Listen to Diana Ross doing what she loves best. Singing, in an album of unusual beauty.
    Full-page ad for single IT'S ANOTHER SUNDAY by Motown newcomers Martin and Findley shown goofing and smiling.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 07-08-2023 at 12:02 PM.

Chart #28

July 14, 1973

last week: 116

including:

SOUL:

DAVID RUFFlN - Common Man [2:59] producer: Bobby Miller: writer: B.
    Miller; Motown 1259. This is a song the brother on
    the street an appreciate. David sings a thank you baby to his woman for loving him as he is- a common man. Raw at times, rugged at others. the tone is always gutsy with the background gently prodding him forward.

also recommended:

JR. WALKER & THE ALL STARS - Peace and Understanding Is Hard To Find [2:59]; producer. Jr. Walker: writers: A. De Walte, R. Harville, J. Teasley: . Soul 35108

The Motown Review:

Diana Ross has the Top 40's biggest mover of the week. Meanwhile Gladys Knight has partially peaked and The Temptations have stalled at #40. Stevie Wonder takes a chart break, while Marvin Gaye and Eddie Kendricks sign on.
    Seven singles on the Hot 100 and The Supremes BAD WEATHER, while still bubbling under, finally breaks on the Soul chart [see below]

The Top 10:

Second round at #1 for Billy Preston's WILL IT GO ROUND IN CIRCLES. Two Top 10 bullets, SHAMBALA by Three Dog Night is #4 from #7 and debuting at #8 from #11, the only new entry, is SMOKE ON THE WATER by Deep Purple. Dropping out: I'M GONNA LOVE YOU JUST A LITTLE MORE BABY by Barry White now #15 from #10. Almost back in: LONG TRAIN RUNNING by the Doobie Bros. reverses again and is now #11 from #12. This train doesn't know if its coming or going.

The Top 40:

Motown:
    Three records from Motown are on the Top 40:
    ^TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING - Diana Ross #21 bullets from # 29
    DADDY COULD SWEAR, I DECLARE - Gladys Knight & The Pips, peaked last week at #19 now down to #24 .
    PLASTIC MAN - Temptations #40 repeats .
    _________

Biggest mover in the Top 40: 8 rungs
    :
    TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING - Diana Ross #21 from #29

6 entries , 5 US, 1 UK , 3 +Top 10 bound+, 0 PI related, 0 Motown, 0 by proxy
    Highest debut
    +THE MORNING AFTER+ - Maureen McGovern #29 up 13 from#42 [*first time artist]

+
    GET DOWN+
    - Gilbert O'Sullivan #31 up 17 from #48 [4th Top 40 hit]
    I BELIEVE IN YOU YOU BELIEVE IN ME - Johnny Taylor #32 up 9 from #41 [7th Top 40 hit]
    IF YOU WANT ME TO STAY - Sly & The Family Stone #34 up 11 from #45 [10th Top 40 hit]
    +BROTHER LOUIE+ - Stories #37 up 24 from #61 [One Hit Wonder]
    SWAMP WITCH - Jim Stafford#30 up 14 #44 [*first time artist]

The Hot 100:

Eight starters: 4 Top 40 bound, 0 first time to chart on the Hot 100, 0 Philly International related, 2 Motown, 1 by proxy
    Highest debut:
    third tier:
    #68 - SAY HAS ANYBODY SEEN MY SWEET GYPSY ROSE - Dawn

#71 - CLOUDS - David Gates
    #74 - LET'S GET IT ON - Marvin Gaye
    #83 - YOUNG LOVE - Donny Osmond
    #84 - YOU LIGHT UP MY LIFE/ BELIEVE IN HUMANITY - Carole King
    #88 - DARLING COME BACK HOME - Eddie Kendricks

#89 - MEET THAT LADY[sic] - Isley Bros. former Motown act
    #91 - EVERYONE'S AGREED THAT EVERYTHING WILL TURN OUT FINE - Steeler's Wheel

Motown:

debuts: two
    1st week: ^LET'S GET IT ON - Marvin Gaye #74 - DEBUT
    1st week: ^DARLING COME BACK HOME - Eddie Kendricks #88 - DEBUT

2nd week: ^ SWEET HARMONY - Smokey Robinson #92 up 2 from #94
    3rd week: ^THERE YOU GO - Edwin Starr #82 up 2 from #84
    9th week: BROTHERS GONNA WORK IT OUT - Willie Hutch #70 down 3 from#67
    18th week: YOU ARE THE SUNSHINE OF MY LIFE - Stevie Wonder OFF from #55
    Off: One

The 31st Hot 100 single for Stevie Wonder, YOU ARE THE SUNSHINE OF MY LIFE , exits after a 17 week run and a peak of #1, his third record to do so, and its Stevie's first #1 on the Easy Listening chart.
    The opening lines of the single are not sung by Stevie Wonder. They are Jim Gilstrap followed by Lani Groves. Not heard on it, his wife Syreeta, as she was onthe recent hit IF YOU REALLY LOVE ME, as the two are now ending their brief marriage.

BUBBLING UNDER THE HOT 100: 125

#108 - BAD WEATHER - Supremes - last week: #101
    Hot 100 - DARLING COME BACK HOME - Eddie Kendricks last week : #108

#103 - BONGO ROCK - Incredible Bongo Band last week: #107

A very good week for:
    Bedding
    PILLOW TALK and SATIN SHEETS are current hits for two one-time Top 40 artists from two different genres.
    Sylvia Robinson wrote PILLOW TALK for Al Green who decided it was just a bit much for him, so she recorded it herself. It peaked at #3 on the Hot 100, #14 UK, #3 Canada and spent two weeks at #1 on the Soul chart.

Donna Summer is waiting in the wings.

At #28 and peaking, Jeanne Pruett has crossed over with her lone #1 country hit, SATIN SHEETS, a failed single a year ago when recorded by Bill Anderson, now becomes Jeanne's signature song.

SOUL MAKOSSA:
    Manu Dibango's version after a twenty point leap to #50 from #70 last week ,comes to a crawl moving up just one to #49. Afrique's version is also stuck: #47 again.

NEW this week in Billboard:

With no fanfare or explanation, the Soul Singles chart, after already expanding to 60 titles from 50 recently, expands again. It is now a chart with 100 titles. This provides forty more titles to keep an eye on each week!
    Of particular merit, the extension allows room for The Supremes' BAD WEATHER to finally chart Soul: at #74.

An expansion has been done for the country chart as well, which provides 25 additional weekly titles there to monitor. At #70, is O.S. McClinton's version of The Temptation's I WISH IT WOULD RAIN.

Full page ad for Smokey Robinson's SWEET HARMONY single and his new LP, which also mentions that it's Motown night on the Midnight Special this week hosted by Smokey Robinson with special guests The Miracles, Rare Earth, and Martin & Finley.

Front page article titled:

CANADA HAS PEAK YR. ON U.S. CHARTS: With a total of 30 singles and 24 albums charting in 1972 , Canada continues its position as the second top non-domestic producer of hits for the U.S. [after the U.K.].

Limited print space has made it impossible to maintain an ongoing 4-month Club listing of titles that traverse the Hot 100 for 16 weeks or more. There are currently 7 such hits, one of them at #1.
    Three of those are in the even more exclusive 5-month club [20 weeks or more].
    These records refuse to just drift away:
    At #30 - I'M DOING FINE NOW by New York City [20 weeks],
    at #54 - TIE A YELLOW RIBBON ROUND THE OLD OAK TREE by Tony Orlando [22 weeks],
    and at #64 - DRIFT AWAY by Dobie Gray [21 weeks].
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 07-15-2023 at 11:23 AM.

Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #29

July 21, 1973

last week: 102
    including:

POP:
    also recommended :
    PUZZLE - Lady [2:59]; producer: Bob Cullen; writer: J. Livigni; Motown 1264F.

SOUL:
    also recommended :
    ART & HONEY - Let's Make Love Now [2:44]; producer: Nick Zessea, Dino Fekaris; writers: N. Zessea, D. Fekaris; Motown 1246F

_________

The Motown Review:

Diana Ross leads the troops by having the label's only song on the Top 40 that's moving upward,
    with a bullet again this week, and now in the Top 20. The Temptations drop out and Gladys Knight clings for one last round as a Motowner on the Top 40 at #39. Marvin Gaye has the Hot 100's strongest Motown single with a 24 place leap into the top half of the chart with LET'S GET IT ON. No singles drop off and no new ones debut, for a seven total, eight when including the bubbling under Supremes.
    _______

The Top 10:

Billy Preston's W
    ILL IT GO ROUND IN CIRCLES gives way after two weeks at #1 [now #2] allowing Jim Croce his first #1 song with BAD BAD LEROY BROWN, a story song similar to his hit, YOU DON'T MESS AROUND WITH JIM [#8 in 1972]. Two bullets in the Top 10: The Carpenters YESTERDAY ONCE MORE has them once more just inches away from #1, at #3 from #6, and debuting at a starred #6 from #14 is newcomer Bette Midler with her first time into the Top 10 with BOOGIE WOOGIE BUGLE BOY. One other single enters at #10, Bloodstone's NATURAL HIGH [see below] from #12. Off: McCartney's Wings get clipped to #21 from #9 with MY LOVE, and Dr. John is now #13 from #10 with his one time Top 10 entry: the Allen Toussaint produced RIGHT PLACE, WRONG TIME.

The Top 40:

Motown:
    ^TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING - Diana Ross at #17 bullets from # 21
    DADDY COULD SWEAR, I DECLARE - Gladys Knight & The Pips, peaked last week at #24 now down to #39 .
    PLASTIC MAN - Temptations twice at #40, its peak, now OFF to #54 .
    _________

Biggest mover in the Top 40: 13 notches
    :
    BROTHER LOUIE - Stories #24 from #37.

6 strong entries , 4 US, 1 UK , 1 French, 3+Top 10 bound+, 0 PI related, 0 Motown, 0 by proxy
    Highest debut:
    +LIVE AND LET DIE+ - Wings #29 up 15 from #44 [7th Top 40 hit]

+UNEASY RIDER+
    - Charlie Daniels - #30 up 11 from #41 [*first time artist]
    +HERE I AM [COME AND TAKE ME]+ - Al Green #33 up 13 from #46 [7th Top 40 hit]
    HOW CAN I TELL HER - Lobo #35 up 8 from #43 [5th Top 40 hit]
    SOUL MAKOSSA - Manu Dibango #37 up 11 from #49 [One Hit Wonder]
    ANGEL - Aretha Franklin #38 up 18 from #55 [29th Top 40 hit]

The Hot 100:

Eight starters: 4 Top 40 bound, 2 first time to chart on the Hot 100, 0 Philly International related, 0 Motown, 0 by proxy
    Highest debut:
    second tier:
    #66 - GYSPY MAN - War

third tier:
    #81 - BONGO ROCK *- Incredible Bongo Band
    #84 - DIDN'T I - Sylvia
    #85 - FUTURE SHOCK - Curtis Mayfield
    #89 - BABY IVE BEEN MISSING YOU - Independents
    #91 - SUNSHINE - Mickey Newbury
    #93 - JIMMY LOVES MARIANNE - Looking Glass
    #95 - ONE TIN SOLDIER - Coven

Motown:

debuts: none
    2nd week: ^LET'S GET IT ON - Marvin Gaye #50 up 24 from #74
    2nd week: DARLING COME BACK HOME - Eddie Kendricks #88 - Again
    3rd week: ^ SWEET HARMONY - Smokey Robinson #86 up 6 from #92
    4th week: ^THERE YOU GO - Edwin Starr #80 up 2 from #82
    7th week: PLASTIC MAN - Temptations #54 down 14 from #40
    10th week: BROTHERS GONNA WORK IT OUT - Willie Hutch #94 down 24 from #70

OFF: none

#108 - BAD WEATHER - Supremes - last week: #108
    Hot 100 - BONGO ROCK - Incredible Bongo Band - last week: #103

A very good week for:
    Bloodstone

a "new" group on the charts, but actually formed 10 years ago in Kansas City as The Sinceres, , now on a natural high this week as their first Hot 100 single, NATURAL HIGH, breaks into the Top 10 at #10.

The timing couldn't be better, or worse, next week will be a very bad week for Bloodstone.

Continuing with the romantic, last week the behind closed doors songs SATIN SHEETS and PILLOW TALK were noted, this week Charlie Rich gets a turn as he peaks at #15 on the Top 40 [#5 Canada , #16 UK] with his first #1 country song:

It's been awhile since Charlie [who has since become tagged as the "Silver Fox"] has been on the Top 40 twice with the rockers LONELY WEEKEND [#22 1960] and MOHAIR SAM [#21 1965]. BEHIND CLOTHES DOORS will chart for five months on the country chart and will be that genre's #1 Song Of The Year by country music associations.

Boxed announcement on page 4 reads :

EXTEND SOUL & C/M 45's CHARTS
    LOS ANGELES-

The Hot Soul and Hot Country Singles charts in Billboard have been extended to 100 positions each weekly.
    The expansion provides a more comprehensive and in depth view of activity in these important categories. Soul singles previously were 60, while country was 75 positions.

SOUL MAKOSSA:
    Manu Dibango's version breaks the Top 40.

+ Banner ad across bottom of cover: Coming July 19th Stevie Wonder's INNERVISIONS
    + Full-page ad promoting the Jackson 5ive's summer tour schedule and mentions opening acts Commodores at some, The Sisters Love at others.

Latest 5 Month Club member: FRANKENSTEIN - Edgar Winter @ #40

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    As always, a very engaging and in-depth post. And! A real nail biter...now you got me super curious as to what's going to happen with Bloodstone...
    thank you Waiting for your kind words ....and for waiting concerning Bloodstone, who have finally hit, ....
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 07-21-2023 at 12:51 PM.

As always, a very engaging and in-depth post. And! A real nail biter...now you got me super curious as to what's going to happen with Bloodstone...

Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #30

July 28, 1973

last week: 107
    including:

GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPS - All I Need Is Time [3:22]; producer: Joe Porter;
    writer: B. Reneau; Soul 3510. Gladys' rich, powerful voice and the tender support from her family tell the story about needing time - "maybe 1000 years, a million tears" - to get over a past love. Gladys starts out quiescent but explodes with urgency, taking the listener through the emotionalism of broken hearts.

The Motown Review:

Diana Ross' TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING is #1 on the Adult Contemporary chart and is Top Ten Soul [#8] and is just outside the Top 10 of the pop chart [#11]. Marvin Gaye joins her on the Top 40. Motown digs deep and finds some leftover material from Gladys Knight and the Pips they hope will be welcomed as radio worthy. Meanwhile Gladys Knight, on Buddah, inches up some and ABC 's The Four Tops are on the Top 40 again. With one drop off and no debuts, six Motown singles are charting the Hot 100.

The Top 10:

Absent on this week's Top Ten are any hits also charting Soul from Motown or any label; only Billy Preston's WILL IT GO ROUND IN CIRCLES , which has already peaked at #1 and is now #5, has also charted there [#10].
    BAD, BAD LEROY BROWN is #1 twice now for Jim Croce with The Carpenters nudging for that top spot at #2 from #3 with YESTERDAY ONCE MORE. Three songs with bullets: Deep Purple's SMOKE ON THE WATER climbs to #4 from #7 and the two new entries both have stars. Seals And Crofts DIAMOND GIRL has taken three months to get here at # 6 from #12 while Maureen McGovern's THE MORNING AFTER has taken much much longer, having been first released in 1972 and already an Oscar winner back in March as Best Original Song. It has finally caught on and bolts to #8 from #20. Out: NATURAL HIGH to #15 from #10 by Bloodstone [see below], and PLAYGROUND IN MY MIND by Clint Holmes to #14 from #9.
    The Top 40:

Motown:
    ^TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING - Diana Ross at #11 bulleting from #17
    ^LETS GET IT ON - Marvin Gaye - debuts at #36

DADDY COULD SWEAR, I DECLARE
    - Gladys Knight & The Pips, peaked at #19 now OFF to #47 from #39 .
    PLASTIC MAN - Temptations twice at #40, its peak, now OFF to #54 .
    _____

Biggest mover in the Top 40: 11 places
    :
    THE MORNING AFTER - Maureen McGovern from #20 to #9.

4 strong titles from four strong artists , all US, , 3 +Top 10 bound+, 0 PI related, 1 Motown, 1 by proxy
    Highest debut:
    +DELTA DAWN+ - Helen Reddy #32 up 9 from #41 [4th Top 40 hit]

+LET'S GET IT ON+ - Marvin Gaye - #36 up 14 from #50 [26th Top 40 hit]
    ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH - Four Tops #38 up 9 from #47 [21st Top 40 hit]
    +SAY HAS ANYBODY SEEN MY SWEET GYPSY ROSE+ - Dawn #39 up 11 from #51 [7th Top 40 hit]

The Hot 100:

Seven arrivals: 4 Top 40 bound, 0 first time to chart on the Hot 100, 0 Philly International related, 0 Motown, 0 by proxy
    Highest debut:
    third tier:
    #81 - MY MARIA - B.W. Stevenson

#83 - WE'RE AN AMERICAN BAND - Grand Funk
    #86 - THEME FROM CLEOPATRA JONES - Joe Simon
    #90 - THERE IT IS - Tyrone Davis
    #94 - SYLVIA - Focus
    #95 - SHOW BIZ KIDS - Steely Dan
    #98 - L.A. FREEWAY - Jerry Jeff Walker

Motown:

debuts: none
    3rd week: ^LET'S GET IT ON - Marvin Gaye Top 40 up 14 from #50
    3rd week: ^DARLING COME BACK HOME - Eddie Kendricks #72 up 16 from #88
    4th week: ^SWEET HARMONY - Smokey Robinson #75 up 11 from #86
    5th week: THERE YOU GO - Edwin Starr #82 down 2 from#80
    8th week: PLASTIC MAN - Temptations #62 down 7 from #55
    11th week: BROTHERS GONNA WORK IT OUT - Willie Hutch OFF from #94
    14th week: DADDY COULD SWEAR, I DECLARE - Gladys Knight & The Pips #47 down 12 from from #39
    OFF: one
    Willie Hutch - BROTHER'S GONNA WORK IT OUT

From relative obscurity to scoring an entire film, with a soundtrack LP
    that features a close-up of his unfamiliar face, it would seem Motown has landed a substantial new talent who's fast-tracking himself to success. Yet this, Hutch's first single, has done no better than #67 Pop and #18 Soul.
    Must be a misstep that Motown will correct, as SLICK, the next single from The MACK movie, debuts on the Soul chart this week at #76.

[features a quick Marvin Gaye nod at 1:36]

DON'T LET IT END - Miracles #124

A very good week for:
    Sweetness
    Tony Orlando is back on the Top 40 with his song about his SWEET GYPSY ROSE, while Jackie Moore continues to move up with her song about her SWEET CHARLIE BABE [#69], and Smokey Robinson advances with his first solo vocal exercise , oddly now singing alone about SWEET HARMONY [#75]. [meanwhile the Miracles are bubbling under pleading, "don't let it end"]

The newly expanded charts have increased visibility for many more titles each week. On the country chart from the Stax stable, having peaked at #67 and now #71 is a Jobette song made famous by The Temptations in 1968:

O.B. McClinton growing up on his dad's 700 acre spread near Memphis Tennessee was familiar with country music early on and since his dabble into R&B has faltered, O.B. will find some fame in country music referring to himself as the "Chocolate Cowboy."

Over ten years ago high school buds in Kansas City Missouri formed a doo-wop vocal group and called themselves The Sinceres performing successfully in that area for years doing Motown review style shows. By the late sixties, the group took up playing instruments becoming a band - with Melvin Webb on drums, Roger Durham on percussion, Charles Love on guitar and vocals, Charles McCormick on bass, Harry Williams on percussion, and Willis Draffen on guitar and then headed to Los Angeles. They updated their name to Bloodstone and by 1972 had released two LPs, the second named after their career breaking single, NATURAL HIGH. That single peaked last week by nicking the Top Ten at #10. The celebration of that hard-earned feat has been abbreviated with the unlikely death of founding member Roger Durham from a horseback riding accident at age 27.

SOUL MAKOSSA:
    Manu Dibango's version slows, advancing just two places to #35.

This week's Soul Sauce column, written by Elliot Tiegel, focuses entirely on Motown and an interview with Suzanne DePasse titled: Motown Cuts Down Acts Roster
    The label plans to glean its roster in the next three months from the current total of 51 artists down from a one time high of 65. The desired final number is not given, nor any indication of who will go ....
    The article mentions Motown has staff in three locations: LA, Detroit, and Muscle Shores as well as having satellite partnerships with people like Bob Crewe and Norman Whitfield.

Front page box ad showing the INNERVISIONS LP cover and reads:
    Presenting the world's newest wonder. Stevie Wonder's new album,
    "INNERVISIONS." Following the remarkable success of his TALKING BOOK album [which featured two number one singles, "Superstition"
    and "You Are The Sunshine of My Life"), "Innervisions" reflects the
    continuing musical growth and innovation of the young artist.
    The hovering BAD WEATHER is mercifully over for the latest single by The Supremes who struggled for weeks to have it hit as a hit. After two weeks on the Soul chart at #74, [and #87 Pop prior] this week: its gone. The ladies will take a long chart break and will regroup, literally, and for the first time ever will be absent here for over a year.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-03-2023 at 02:26 AM.

Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #31

Aug. 4, 1973
    Number of singles reviewed this week: 105
    last week: 109
    including:

SOUL:
    THE TEMPTATIONS - Hey Girl [I Like Your Style] [3:29]; producer: Norman
    Whitfield; writer: N. Whitfield; Gordy 7131. A simply-worded love proposal with a slow and touching melody. Not quite as instantly arresting as some of the more ambitious Temptations-Whitfield singles [no exotic trumpet-echo introduction here]. But definitely in the solid mainstream of romantic soul balladry

The Motown Review:

Some chart vitality this edition: Diana Ross provides Motown a seat at the Top 10 while Marvin Gaye has the Top 40's biggest mover, a whopping 19 places, [if he repeats that next week he's #1]. The new Stevie Wonder LP gets a big push. A new 45 by The Miracles replaces one by The Temptations evening out the count at 7 singles again this week for the label charting Hot 100.

The Top 10:

A bit of a shocker this week. In just 8 weeks unknown artist Maureen McGovern has barged her way to the top from #9 with THE MORNING AFTER an ignored song when it was first released as a single last year from the movie POSEIDON ADVENTURE . Jim Croce's BAD BAD LEROY BROWN is now #2.
    Four bullets in the Top Ten which includes the #1 song and all three debuts. Huge leaps for two, from the twenties half on the chart into the Top Ten for Wing's LIVE AND LET DIE #3 from #21 and BROTHER LOUIE by Stories from #20 to #10. Fourth bullet is for Diana Ross' TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING, easing in at #7 from #11. Half the records on the Top 10 have been or will become #1s. Off: Bette Midler's BOOGIE WOOGIE BUGLE BOY has played out, big drop from #8 to #16. A bigger drop yet has developed for Paul Simon's KODACHROME from #7 to #21, but this week's biggest plunger is George Harrison's GIVE ME LOVE 21 points down to #31 from #10.

The Top 40:

Motown:
    ^TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING - Diana Ross at #7 bullets from #11
    ^LETS GET IT ON - Marvin Gaye - #17 from #36

___

Biggest movers in the Top 40: 19 spots:
    LETS GET IT ON - Marvin Gaye #17 from #36
    & 18 places:
    LIVE AND LET DIE - Wings #3 from #21

Just 3 break, 2 US, 1UK, 1 +Top 10 bound+, 0 PI related, 0 Motown, 0 by proxy
    Highest debut:
    +GYPSY MAN+ - War #33 up 13 from #46 [6th Top 40 hit]

YOUNG LOVE /MILLION TO ONE
    - Donny Osmond #36 up 13 from #49 [10th Top 40 hit]
    THE HURT - Cat Stevens #39 up 4 from #43 [6th Top 40 hit]

The Hot 100:

Ten arrivals: 6 Top 40 bound, 0 first time to chart on the Hot 100, 0 Philly International related, 1 Motown, 1 by proxy
    Highest debut:
    second tier:
    #60 - LOVES ME LIKE A ROCK - Paul Simon

third tier:
    #74 - SATURDAY NIGHTS ALRIGHT FOR FIGHTING - Elton John
    #84 - TO KNOW YOU IS TO LOVE YOU - B.B. King written by Stevie Wonder /Syreeta Wright
    #86 - BILLION DOLLAR BABIES - Alice Cooper
    #89 - HALF-BREED - Cher
    #91 - DON'T LET IT END - Miracles
    #95 - I'VE GOT SO MUCH TO GIVE - Barry White
    #96 - STONED OUT OF MY MIND - Chi-Lites
    #99 - LOVING ARMS - Dobie Gray
    #100 - EVIL - EW&F

Motown:

1st week: ^ DON'T LET IT END- Miracles DEBUT #91
    4th week: DARLING COME BACK HOME - Eddie Kendricks #72 again
    5th week: ^SWEET HARMONY - Smokey Robinson #62 up 13 from #75
    6th week: THERE YOU GO - Edwin Starr #83 down 1 from #82
    9th week: PLASTIC MAN - Temptations OFF from #62
    15th week: DADDY COULD SWEAR, I DECLARE - Gladys Knight /Pips #59 down 12 from #47.
    OFFS: one

Temptations are starting to sound like grumpy old men with repeated song themes of grumblings and trash talk. This time their gripe concerns a vague fake person they only specify as PLASTIC MAN. That worked at getting the group into the Top 40, but just barely with just two weeks at #40. They'll change it out with their next single reviewed above, Billboard calling HEY GIRL I LIKE YOUR STYLE a romantic soul ballad.

A very good week for:
    Fun summer songs.

Debuting this week 3 upbeat rhythms referencing violence, racial conflict, and drugs:

SATURDAY NIGHT'S ALL RIGHT FOR FIGHTING
    - Elton John
    HALF-BREED - Cher
    STONED OUT OF MY MIND -Chi-Lites

Very little Motown charting internationally [Stevie Wonder's YOU ARE THE SUNSHINE OF MY LIFE is #8 in Australia] including the UK chart where Diana Ross is at #15 with TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING, but what else is happening there:
    Its not all noise and glitter. This week falling from #1 to #2 :
    WELCOME HOME by Peters And Lee, a professional duet who joined ranks after Peter had been performing since the early sixties singing behind a piano. Peter is blind, blinded in one eye at age five in a car accident then losing the other eye at age 16 to a thrown brick. Lee began by being Peter's backup vocal support, then together they entered a UK TV talent contest, OPPORTUNITY KNOCKS, which they won seven times. From there other TV appearances and chart success continued through the seventies. But this, their first, is their big hit:

Debuting at #46 is Greek born, German raised, singer Vicki Leandros who's also gained fame through a talent contest, Eurovision, representing Luxembourg. She came in fourth in 1967 and her career ballooned, recording a mass of LPs in nine languages including Japanese. In 1972 Vicki entered again and won the contest and COME WHAT MAY went to #2 in the UK. This is the follow up:

meanwhile Abba, is in the wings and in the studio ...

Concert Review:
    EDWIN STARR
    BACHMAN-TURNER
    OVERDRIVE
    Whisky a Go Go, Los Angeles

Strong soul singers don't often play the rock club circuit, and when one such as Ed-
    win Starr comes along, it's a satisfying and welcome change of pace.
    Starr, long a staple on the Motown roster, comes from the line of vocalists who can
    shout and scream and still maintain a highly organized, musical atmosphere. Backed by
    an eight piece band, he showed himself during his stay here to be a versatile performer
    who does indeed do a lot of shouting but can
    also handle ballads using his own unique arrangements. Best received material was still
    the uptempo material, particularly his major hits such as "War"and "25 Miles to Go," in extended club versions featuring strong solos from various members of the band.
    Ballad efforts including "Walk On By," with the soul arrangement and lengthy talking-singing arrangements also went over well. Considering Starr does not generally appear
    before this type of audience, he displayed a fine rapport and should be able to find a
    niche on the rock dub circuit as well as the more traditional outlets for soul music.

Chart Talk column:
    ... And finally, Diana Ross' "Touch Me In the Morning" sad song about having her lover come and go, is a starred seven on the singles survey. It has taken the tune, one of our picks 10 weeks ago, that amount of time to break into the top 10. A similarly titled LP on Motown is a starred 20. So Diana has positively returned to the contemporary pop vein after making a smash of the Billie Holiday tune, "Good Morning Heartache" from the film "Lady Sings the Blues.
    Full-page ad:
    A smiling photo of a smartly-dressed Marvin Gaye for his latest single that reads TWO MILLION STRONG IN SIX WEEKS. AND BUILDING!

Two-page ad for Stevie Wonder, first page a photo of Stevie's face smiling.
    2nd page: Picture of the album and in large print: STEVIE

SOUL MAKOSSA:
    Manu Dibango's version stalls at #35, Afriques versions falls four to #58.

5 month club:
    newest members
    PLAYGROUND IN MY MIND - Clint Holmes #34
    PILLOW TALK -Sylvia #64

Bizarre:
    Kris Kristofferson might be asking why me, as his single WHY ME just keeps riding the chart after a modest peak of #16, now in its 18th week, its #44. But here's the kicker, that's a rise of six from last week's #50.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-08-2023 at 01:58 AM.

Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #32

August 11, 1973

Number of singles reviewed this week: 128
    last week: 105
    including:

Pop:
    STEVIE WONDER - Higher Ground [3:10]; producer: Stevie Wonder; writer. S. Wonder: Tamla 54235 . A "Superstition" type guitar riff opens the door for this multi-tracked vocal about people who are moving ahead in love and in all phases of life. The lyrics match the infectious flavor of the background sounds.

Soul:
    EDDIE KENDRICKS - Keep on Truckin' [3:21]; producers: Frank Wilson. Leonard Caston: writers: F. Wilson, A. Poree, L. Caston; Tamla 54348F.
    A churning, Stevie Wonderish synthesizer keyboard track rivets attention to
    this lyrically vague rift song. Kendricks exhorts listeners to keep on trucking several dozen times as the locomotive rhythm section drives ahead.

Motown has two singles in the Top Ten this week, and without them, the Top Ten would be otherwise soulless. Marvin Gaye surges into that top tier as Diana Ross bullets
    upward four weeks in a row, and is now in the Top 5.
    Then it's a long way down to find any Motown action. Nothing else in the Top 40. And all else below that can be described as limping. Two records from the label bow out and two arrive, Willie Hutch as the label's new guy tries again, as does Gladys Night as the label's not new guy. Seven records are charting.
    ____

The Top 10:

Maureen McGovern holds fast at #1 with THE MORNING AFTER while Wings presses at #2 with their James Bond theme. Four bullets: two for two of three arrivals this week. Diana Ross again has a star as she bullets to #4 from #7 as do Stories with BROTHER LOUIE who jump over her from #8 to #3. First time on the Top 10, Charlie Daniels stars with UNEASY RIDER, and back with a bang, Marvin Gaye with LET'S GET IT ON at #6 from #17. Creeping in from #12 to #10 is MONSTER MASH, a smash again into the Top 10 for Bobby Boris Picket taking a whopping 18 weeks to finally do so. When 3 come on 3 make room: The road to SHAMBALA heads south, Three Dog Night travel 4 downward to #14 from #10, DIAMOND GIRL by Seals & Crofts drops to#16 from #6, with the biggest drop for WILL IT GO ROUND IN CIRCLES by Billy Preston from #9 to #20.
    ______

Motown:
    ^TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING - Diana Ross at #4 bullets from #7
    ^LETS GET IT ON - Marvin Gaye - #6 huge leap from #17

___

Biggest movers in the Top 40: 10 points:
    LETS GET IT ON - Marvin Gaye to #7 from #17
    ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH Four Tops- #20 from #30

5 entries, 4 US, 1UK, 0 +Top 10 bound+, 1 PI related, 0 Motown, 0 by proxy
    Highest debut:
    I WAS CHECKING OUT SHE WAS CHECKING IN - Don Covay #32 up 20 from #52 [2nd and final Top 40 hit]

SATURDAY NIGHTS ALRIGHT FOR FIGHTING - Elton John #34 up 30 from #74 [8th Top 40 hit]
    NOBODY WANTS YOU WHEN YOU'RE DOWN AND OUT - Bobby Womack #35 up 11 from #46 [3rd Top 40 hit]
    BELIEVE IN HUMANITY /YOU LIGHT UP MY LIFE - Carole King #37 up 18 from #45 [7th Top 40 hit]
    I'LL ALWAYS LOVE MY MAMA - Intruders - #40 up 2 from #42 [return of 3rd and final Top 40 hit]

The Hot 100:

Twelve make it: 4 Top 40 bound, 2 first time to chart on the Hot 100, 1 Philly International related, 2 Motown, 0 by proxy
    Highest debut
    #77 - YOU'VE NEVER BEEN THIS FAR BEFORE - Conway Twitty

#80 THINK - James Brown
    #81 - FREE RIDE - Edgar Winter Group
    #83 - HANG LOOSE - Mandrill
    #84 - JUST DON'T WANT TO BE LONELY - Ronnie Dyson
    #87 - TWISTIN' THE NIGHT AWAY - Rod Stewart
    #94 - ALL I NEED IS TIME - Gladys Knight & The Pips
    #95 - SLICK - Willie Hutch
    #96 - ECSTASY - Ohio Players
    #97 - THE LONG WAY HOME - Neil Diamond
    #99 - ROCKY MOUNTAIN WAY - Joe Walsh
    #100 - FREEDOM FOR THE STALLION - Hues Corporation

Motown:

1st week: ALL I NEED IS TIME - Gladys Knight & The Pips DEBUT #94
    1st week: SLICK - Willie Hutch DEBUT #95

2nd week : DON'T LET IT END - Miracles repeat #91
    5th week: ^DARLING COME BACK HOME - Eddie Kendricks #67 up 5 from #72
    6th week: ^SWEET HARMONY - Smokey Robinson #61 up 1 from #62
    7th week: THERE YOU GO - Edwin Starr OFF from #83
    16th week: DADDY COULD SWEAR, I DECLARE - Gladys Knight /Pips OFF from #59

OFFS: two
    Edwin Starr managed a peak of #80 with THERE YOU GO and now, there he goes off the Hot 100 for the last time as a Motown artist.

Close to the same for Gladys Knight who's already hitting with new Buddah recordings but Motown isn't quite finished with her and the Pips yet and will squeeze out a couple more hopefuls. But DADDY COULD SWEAR is the group's last Top 40 Motown charter, doing pretty good with a #19 summit and #2 Soul.
    _____

A very good week for:
    Sitting tight.

Most of the records [22] on the Top 40 repeat within 3 places of where they charted last week.
    Five: THE MORNING AFTER [#1], FEELIN' STRONGER EVERY DAY [#11], NATURAL HIGH [#23], WHERE PEACEFUL WATERS FLOW [#28], BEHIND CLOSED DOORS [ #29], don't budge at all.

Lynn Anderson rose to fame with ROSE GARDEN [#1 country #3 Pop], and her success can largely be credited to her husband Glenn Sutton who produces and manages her as well as writes some of her biggest songs, but the duo also has a knack for spotting songs to cover and her last seven releases have all gone Top 5 country [usually #1]. The latest peaked last week at #2 and in its 7th week is at #80 on the Hot 100. Its a cut they lifted from The Carpenters album released last year .

Richard Carpenter, TOP OF THE WORLD's writer with hitmaker John Bettis, decided to keep it just an album cut without an accompanying single release, and is now kicking himself.

Soul singles are having a tough time getting into the higher ranks of the Top 40. Johnnie Taylor has already been #1 for two weeks on the Soul chart with I BELIEVE IN YOU but is having trouble breaking the Top 10 [# 12], while the current #1 Soul single for the second week , Aretha Franklin's ANGEL, written largely by her sister Carolyn, [who gets mentioned in the single, as well as is heard singing back-up], is at #22 up just 2 spots from last week.

ANGEL will peak at #20. This song and the LP it's from marks a departure from the usual Atlantic crew that traditionally steers Aretha's recordings. This time Aretha produces herself alongside Quincy Jones.

SOUL MAKOSSA:
    has peaked at #35
    Manu Dibango's version dips from #35 to #46, and Afriques version falls off.

WHY ME: Kris Kristofferson was aiming at a reappearance onto the Top 40 when he advanced to #46 last week. This week that idea is abated as he plunks to #54.

5 month club:
    WILL IT GO ROUND IN CIRCLES - Billy Preston #20 and still in Top 40.

Commentary:
    Just as Billboard has expanded the Soul Singles chart to 100 titles, its' accompanying weekly Soul Sauce column has lost its spice. Once a source for newsy tidbits of goings on, it has now become a single topic article each week. This week its titled: Farrell Forges One-Stop Prod'n Availability about Wes Farrell whose main notoriety currently is as the force behind The Partridge Family, who don't chart Soul. Not sure what's happened to this column and Billboard is mum.

significant DISCO sighting! [explained next time]:

FUNKY! KOOL!
    WHISTLES! Funky Kool & The Gang have all their fans going "whistle happy."
    With sales soaring in major markets, De-Lite Records is sending "Funky
    Stuff" whistles to all promo men for distribution. Many discos are featuring
    the whistle while spinning, "Funky Stuff." Those wishing these whistles
    may contact, Stan Price at De-Little Records-[212) 757-6770 . . . Get 'em
    while the supply lasts.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-16-2023 at 02:43 PM.

Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #33

August 18, 1973

Bobby Eli tribute
    March 2, 1946 – August 17, 2023
    RIP

last week: 128
    including:

POP:
    GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPS - Midnight Train To Georgia [3:55]; producer:
    Tony Camillo; writer: J. Wetherly; Buddah 383. The group sings slowly and sadly about crushed dreams in the big city. Gladys cries about having to be without her man back home, and that he's coming back to find what's left of their world together.

THE JACKSON 5 - Get It Together [3:47]; producer: Hal Davis; writers: B.
    Gordy, H. Davis, D. Fletcher, J. Marcellino, M. Larson;
    Motown 1277. Close vocal harmonies, bubbling guitars in the foreground, muted
    horns and a throbbing conga create a foot tapping environment for this story about
    avoiding confusion, shucking and jiving and doing what's all together proper.

SOUL
    also recommended:

BARRETT STRONG - Stand Up and Cheer For The Preacher [2:55]; producer. Barrett Strong; writer: B. Strong; . Epic 5-11011

The Motown Review:

Diana Ross has an unlikely #1 this week & the most incredible chart topper of her career, THE MORNING AFTER, a song she's never sung, never recorded. But that's how Billboard reports it, so for now that's how the chart stands. Marvin Gaye is now Top 5. Mostly flimsy chart activity otherwise for Motown, however two of the label's biggest names enter the Hot 100 with their latest, Stevie Wonder and The Temptations. They'd have the two highest debuting singles on the Hot 100 were it not for former label mates, The Spinners, charting on even higher ground. Temptations on, a former Temptation off; 8 singles on the Hot 100.

The Top 10:

Diana Ross is #1 !!! But with what song?? Incredibly Billboard has messed up their song titles such that last week's #1, THE MORNING AFTER , remains there again this week, only this time credited to Diana Ross. Maureen McGovern's 'version' is listed this week at #4. Marvin Gaye's 45 gets on the Top 5, and a top tier shake up with three new singles becoming Top 10. Gilbert O'Sullivan's GET DOWN bullets to #7 from #13, as does DELTA DAWN by Helen Reddy to #9 from #15, and after a surging chart run,
    Chicago barely has the strength to ease in at #10 from #11 with FEELIN' STRONGER EVERY DAY. Off: SMOKE ON THE WATER Deep Purple to #12 from #6, MONSTER MASH begins to crash, Boris Pickett eases to #13 from #10, down to # 15 from #8 goes YESTERDAY ONCE MORE after a peak once more for the Carpenters at #2 [5th time].

Motown:
    ^TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING - Diana Ross at #1 bullets from #4
    ^LETS GET IT ON - Marvin Gaye - #5 up from #7
    ___

Biggest mover in the Top 40: 8 notches:
    SATURDAY NIGHTS ALRIGHT FOR FIGHTING - Elton John #26 from #34

Just 3 newbies, all US, all +Top 10 bound+, 0 PI related, 0 Motown, 1 by proxy
    Highest debut:
    +LOVES ME LIKE A ROCK+ - Paul Simon #27 up 17 from #44 [4th Top 40 hit]

+
    WE'RE AN AMERICAN BAND+
    - Grand Funk #29 up 28 from #57 [4th Top 40 hit, first without "Railroad" in name]
    +MEET THAT LADY+ [sic] - Isley Bros. #33 up 9 from #42 [7th Top 40 hit]

The Hot 100:

8 debuts: 5 Top 40 bound, 0 first time to chart on the Hot 100, 1 Philly International related, 2 Motown, 1 by proxy
    Highest debut
    2nd tier:
    #64 - GHETTO CHILD - Spinners - former Motown act
    3rd tier:
    #70 - HEY GIRL [I LIKE YOUR STYLE] - Temptations
    #73 - HIGHER GROUND - Stevie Wonder
    #85 - CHINA GROVE - Doobie Bros.
    #85 - MUSCRAT LOVE - sic - America
    #91 - SEXY SEXY SEXY - James Brown
    #92 - YES WE CAN CAN - Pointer Sisters
    #93 - STAY AWAY FROM ME - Sylvers

Motown:

1st week: HEY GIRL [I LIKE YOUR STYLE] - Temptations DEBUT #70
    1st week: HIGHER GROUND - Stevie Wonder - DEBUT #73

2nd week: ^ ALL I NEED IS TIME - Gladys Knight & The Pips #78 up 16 from #94
    2nd week: SLICK - Willie Hutch repeat #95

3rd week : ^ DON'T LET IT END - Miracles #76 up 15 from #91
    6th week: DARLING COME BACK HOME - Eddie Kendricks OFF from #67
    7th week: SWEET HARMONY - Smokey Robinson #62 down 1 from #61

OFF: one
    Eddie Kendricks' DARLING COME BACK HOME went from moving up 5 last week to dropping off completely this week as any interest in the record shifted when Motown decided to truck on to the next single from the latest album and KEEP ON TRUCKIN' now debuts at #75 on the Soul chart while getting a full-page ad.
    DARLING COME BACK HOME is one of Motown's rare dabbles into the realm of reggae and uses multiple vocal parts by Eddie:

#67 seems a low peak for this fine record.

A very good week for:
    Bobby Eli

Philly International is now in full swing with several big hits already behind them and with many more to come. A unifying factor for the label's distinct sound is the in-house musicians known as MFSB. Key players include Bobby Eli on guitar.
    While not a spectacular week for PI with no Top 40 hits , Bobby Eli is plenty busy and is on the charts [as always], this week with five titles he's involved with. On the Spinners' GHETTO CHILD, Eli plays guitar as well as on SWEET CHARLIE BABE by Jackie Moore, with whom he will provide a disco hit in 1979 with THIS TIME BABY, as well as playing on The Intruders' I'LL ALWAYS LOVE MY MAMA and The Manhattans' THERE'S NO ME WITHOUT YOU.
    Also charting is a song Bobby not only performs on but has writing credits:

23 year-old New Yorker Ronnie Dyson has made a name for himself in theater, his biggest recorded hit, IF YOU LET ME MAKE LOVE TO YOU [#8, 1970] is from the play SALVATION. Now he is a part of the Philadelphia cast of performers using the Sigma Studios and with Thom Bell producing. JUST DON"T WANT TO BE LONELY has a full- page ad in Cashbox, is #82 its second week, but will struggle on the Hot 100 this time out but won't go unnoticed.

SOUL MAKOSSA:
    Manu Dibango's version dips from #46 to #54

WHY ME: Kris Kristofferson - this week becomes a member of the 5 Month Club: 20 weeks on the chart
    and reverses course again climbing to #45 from #52.

DISCO:
    Last week in Cashbox's R&B Ingredients column, [see Chart #32 for text], about Kool & The Gang's FUNKY STUFF record, it mentions the record as getting good play in the discos. This is the first time I've encountered the term 'disco' appearing in print. It hasn't yet been used in Billboard. The music itself that's played in these clubs is yet to be called 'disco', but identifying it as such is now just a stone's throw away.

Also in Cashbox :
    Supremes review at Magic Mountain - partial:

VALENCIA, CA.
    Although the legendary Supremes haven't had a major chart
    record in a while, their packed club audiences and consistent good re-
    views keep their popularity alive.
    The audience at Magic Mountain was no exception, giving the gowned trio
    a warm reception. However, the 3,500 who assembled to hear The
    Supremes most likely wanted to hear them perform their hits, and not
    those made famous by the Staple Singers or the Ojays. Sandwiched in
    between showtunes and other people's
    hits was a modicum of their own smash records, ...
    Another observation about the Supremes at
    Magic Mountain was that, over all, they had a much more unison sound.

Cashbox: an amusing full-page ad from Buddah Records regarding Gladys Knight :
    GLADYS
    KNIGHT &
    THE PIPS
    Now have two records
    out on the market.
    One record from
    their old company...
    and one from
    their NEW company.
    We think the NEW
    Gladys Knight & The Pips
    is the most exciting
    record they've done
    in a long time.
    The New Record
    "MIDNIGHT
    TRAIN TO GEORGIA"
    It's Their New
    Hit Record On
    BUDDAH RECORDS
    From The Buddah Group.
    quite a week!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-22-2023 at 06:51 PM.

Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #34

August 25, 1973

Number of singles reviewed this week: 101
    last week: 113

including:
    from Cashbox:
    Newcomer Pick:

THE CHUBUKOS [Mainstream 5546]
    Witch Doctor Bump [2:57] [Lifestyle, BMI-Miller, McCoy, Matthews]
    Well it's finally happened. A combination of 'Soul Makossa' and the Chip-
    munks! That's just about the only way to describe this driving soul flavored
    rocker with a novelty lyric done in Chipmunk fashion. With novelty records
    making a great chart comeback, we're getting behind this one all the way.

____

Re:
    Billboard's Biggest Blunder Ever
    "fixed" with just a quick SMALL square-boxed note on their front page:

NOTE
    Diana Ross' "Touch Me in the
    Morning" should have been
    shown in the No. 1 position in
    last week's Hot 100 chart. The
    Motown single's title was unfor-
    tunately eliminated due to a
    transmission error.

There, like it never happened.
    ____

The Motown review:

An outstanding Motown week with two of the nation's Top 5 singles being theirs, one coming off from being #1, the other advancing that way. LET'S GET IT ON is the #1 Soul Single again. The label has seven other songs on the Hot 100, and all are moving upward, some significantly.
    One's a big debut: the Hot 100's highest for the week, and no drop offs.

The Top 10:

Diana Ross is denied her rightful positioning at #1 in tandem with her Michael Masser stunner, TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING. Billboard seems anxious to move on as her record drops to #3 and gets replaced at the top with Stories' BROTHER LOUIE, which is benefiting from getting Soul Chart action, a rare time a pop record crosses that direction [#53 in 3rd week]. Tony Orlando is looking for his SWEET GYPSY ROSE, she's leapt into the Top Ten, at #8 from #14, the only record gaining entry and the only one
    bulleted in it. Forced out, Chicago just a little less strong this week with FEELIN' STRONGER EVERY DAY to #11 from #10.

Motown:
    ^TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING - Diana Ross at #3 a drop from #1
    ^LETS GET IT ON - Marvin Gaye - #4 up from #5
    ___

Biggest mover in the Top 40: 11 rungs:
    LOVES ME LIKE A ROCK - Paul Simon #16 from #27

5 newbies, all US, 1 +Top 10 bound+, 0 PI related, 0 Motown, 0 by proxy
    Highest debut:
    WHY ME - Kris Kristofferson #30 up 15 from #45 [return, 2nd and final Top 40 hit]

THEME FROM "CLEOPATRA JONES" - Joe Simon #34 up 11 from #45 [7th Top 40 hit]
    +MY MARIA+ - BW Stevenson #35 up 15 from #50 [One Hit Wonder]
    THERE IT IS - Tyrone Davis #38 up 8 from #46 [4th Top 40 hit]
    FUTURE SHOCK - Curtis Mayfield #40 up 1 from #41 [5th Top 40 hit]

The Hot 100:

10 debuts: 3 Top 40 bound, 0 first time to chart on the Hot 100, 0 Philly International related, 1 Motown, 0 by proxy
    Highest debut
    3rd tier:
    #79 - KEEP ON TRUCKIN' - Eddie Kendricks

#84 - THE LAST THING ON MY MIND - Neil Diamond
    #85 - RAMBLIN' MAN - Allman Bros. Band
    #89 - RHAPSODY IN BLUE - Deodato
    #92 - BLOOD RED AND GOIN' DOWN - Tanya Tucker
    #93 - SUMMER THE FIRST TIME - Bobby Goldsboro
    #94 - ASHES TO ASHES - 5th Dimension
    #97 - YOU'RE THE BEST THING THAT EVER HAPPENED TO ME - Ray Price [original version]
    #99 - KID'S STUFF [sic] - Barbara Fairchild
    #100 - UNTIL IT'S TIME FOR YOU TO GO - New Birth

Motown:

1st week: ^KEEP ON TRUCKIN' - Eddie Kendricks DEBUT #79

2nd week: ^HEY GIRL [I LIKE YOUR STYLE] - Temptations #58 up 12 from #70
    2nd week: ^HIGHER GROUND - Stevie Wonder - #51 up 22 from #73
    3rd week: ^ ALL I NEED IS TIME - Gladys Knight & The Pips #65 up 13 from #78
    3rd week: ^SLICK - Willie Hutch #81 up 14 from #95
    4th week: ^ DON'T LET IT END - Miracles #64 up 12 from #76
    8th week: ^SWEET HARMONY - Smokey Robinson #56 up 6 from #62
    off: none
    _____

Former Motown honcho Barrett Strong has moved out after a long Motown residency co-working with Norman Whitfield on his projects, now deciding after a long break to release music under his own name. As reported [see chart#30], Motown is trimming their roster so Strong has found acceptance at Epic for a one single shot:

Almost ten years since releasing a 45 and this is what's on Barrett's mind. It hints as to the source of The Temptations sometimes grumpier side. The driving instrumental b-side will garner favor with club spinners.

Cashbox has spotted a new release Billboard has not [see above.] Noteworthy as the first record to reference "the bump", a dance craze that accompanies the arrival of disco.

"bump me in the morning"

Meanwhile-

SOUL MAKOSSA:
    Manu Dibango drops off from #54 after 9 weeks and a peak of #35 as well as 9 weeks on the Soul chart reaching #30.

Why is this record so important when after so much initial fuss, in the end, it barely scratches the Top 40 or the Soul chart ? SOUL MAKOSSA was a beacon to an industry hungry for new revenue. Via traditional avenues, SOUL MAKOSSA was destined to disappear into oblivion, an unnoticed "b" side to a small pressed song out of France where it was also ignored. But something happened: David Mancuso got a hold of a languishing imported copy and started playing it at his private "Loft" parties in NYC. Word of it got out and DJs and others sought it, but once the few copies still floating around were snatched, the demand persisted. Then local NY radio began playing it, resulting in rushed knock-off copies of the 45 that sold in the thousands.
    Lesson learned: there's money to be had in supplying the music for these emerging dance clubs, and with it a whole new route for reaching potential record buyers.

Motown takes the lead where Billboard fails this week, what Billboard passes off with a minimum of a correction, Motown turns into a full-page spectacle with a mock up of the chart correctly showing TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING at #1 on the Hot 100 chart. A well-done example of turning lemons into lemonade and with a bit of a jab.
    The ad reads, in large print:
    There's no
    mistaking a
    number one
    record.

"Touch Me in the Morning". Another in a long line
    of number one singles and gold records for Diana Ross.
    What happens to a number one single?
    It becomes a number one album.
    [album cover shown]
    [note: The TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING LP is #1 on the Soul Album chart this week]

Full-page ad for new J5 45 reads:

Whenever the Jackson Five "Get It Together" it's a hit
    with photo of brothers [looking stoned?]

A very good week for:
    Daybreak:

In the Top Ten, 3 songs with titles containing this time of day TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING [#3], THE MORNING AFTER [#5], and DELTA DAWN [#6]. Two have already been #1, the third a possibility.

WHY ME: Kris Kristofferson - who could've guessed this week's chart would see WHY ME enter as the week's highest debut on the Top 40 at #30. This at week 21 on the charts.

New to the 5 Month Club:
    MONSTER MASH - Bobby Pickett #13
    RIGHT PLACE WRONG TIME - Dr. John #48

Being considered: more CASHBOX content ....
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-29-2023 at 01:08 AM.