[REMOVE ADS]

Martha Reeves Heading To New York For 2023 Libera Awards

Info from uMusic.com-

Martha Reeves will perform, and receive an Independent Icon award, at the 2023 Libera Awards in New York. The event will be hosted by comedian Hannibal Buress, who will also perform at the event, to be held at The Town Hall on W.43rd Street on June 15.
    Margo Price is also confirmed for the awards, which celebrate independent artists and are described as “a night of wall-to-wall musical revue, with performers and award winners across all genres – ideal for every type of music connoisseur.”

Reeves will be marking the 60th anniversary of “Heat Wave,” the Martha & the Vandellas single that was released in July 1963 and became the Motown group’s first crossover Top 5 pop hit. American saxophonist Marshall Allen, now aged 98, will also play with the Sun Ra Arkestra.

Martha Reeves will perform, and receive an Independent Icon award, at the 2023 Libera Awards in New York. The event will be hosted by comedian Hannibal Buress, who will also perform at the event, to be held at The Town Hall on W.43rd Street on June 15.

Margo Price is also confirmed for the awards, which celebrate independent artists and are described as “a night of wall-to-wall musical revue, with performers and award winners across all genres – ideal for every type of music connoisseur.”

Martha Reeves will be marking the 60th anniversary of “Heat Wave,” the Martha & the Vandellas single that was released in July 1963 and became the Motown group’s first crossover Top 5 pop hit. American saxophonist Marshall Allen, now aged 98, will also play with the Sun Ra Arkestra.

Also taking part are Shemekia Copeland, Dawn Richard and Spencer Zahn [with a track from their 2022 collaboration Pigments, backed by a full orchestra], Sudan Archives, Seratones, Gaby Moreno, and Tamtam, while Buress will perform with his Eshu Tune project. Ticket holders are also invited to an exclusive afterparty, with the opportunity to “network, socialize, and celebrate with friends, colleagues and industry leaders.”

Breakthrough British act Wet Leg have six Libera nominations this year, while Sudan Archives, Allison Russell, Fontaines D.C., and Soul Glo have three each. Leading up to the awards, the American Association of Independent Music [A2IM] will host Indie Week at the InterContinental New York Times Square.

A2IM GM Lisa Hresko says: “Independence isn’t about a genre – it’s about choosing your own path. The Libera Awards showcases independent music’s top talent, represented across both the amazing slate of nominees and dynamic performers. A2IM couldn’t be more excited to bring this year’s Libera Awards, traditionally an industry-only event, to the historic Town Hall to demonstrate the collective power, artistry, and community of independent music.”

Very well deserved and Im hoping lots of clips end up on youtube.

Thank you Motown Eddie.

Fondly,

Roberta

This is great news. Martha has had to wait so long for her "propers", so I hope it is a triumph for her. I also fervently hope she can raise the necessary $$ for her Hollywood star. I'm sure she will.

Dear Roberta, lovely to see a post from you. I do hope you are well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpmoves View Post
    This is great news. Martha has had to wait so long for her "propers", so I hope it is a triumph for her. I also fervently hope she can raise the necessary $$ for her Hollywood star. I'm sure she will.

Dear Roberta, lovely to see a post from you. I do hope you are well.
    Thank you kindly dear Sharpmoves for your lovely words.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta