[REMOVE ADS]

Spinners to be inducted into the RR Hall of Fame, Chaka Khan honored as well

Great! Happy for both Chaka Khan & The Spinners. Thanks Resse for the news.

About time for both acts!

PS: Also happy to hear that the Rock Hall is honoring Soul Train's Don Cornelius too.

It is great news. I was surprised to see it when it was announced this morning on the Today Show. It is just sad that Henry is the only Spinner alive to witness the honor.

Also sad that they didn't see fit to include G.C. Cameron, who sang lead on their biggest Motown hit IT'S A SHAME, and John Edwards, who picked up the torch after Philippe left.

I was just about to post this great news! So so happy to hear it! Chaka, The Spinners and Don Cornelius are all certainly deserving! This is long overdue.

This has really made my day! I was hoping for the Spinners to get in while Henry Fambrough is still with us. I’m also happy to see Willie Nelson get in while he’s still here as well.

Great news about the Spinners. Well deserved. It's a shame that Thom Bell is no longer with us to be at the gala event or get any recognition. He was the man behind the scenes that brought the group to it's accomplishments.

A really great article on the group including some unusual rare photographs.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/en...s/70174650007/

Mary Wells & the Marvelettes are TRUE Rock & Roll PIONEERS, so maybe its Motown thats keeping them out of the silly Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    Mary Wells & the Marvelettes are TRUE Rock & Roll PIONEERS, so maybe its Motown thats keeping them out of the silly Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.
    That was the same rumor about Phil Spector keeping Darlene Love and the Ronettes out. Phil's representatives have denied it but you never know. The Shangri-Las [[who are not Motown obviously) still ain't in either.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    If the hall of fame is "silly" then you should be happy that Mary Wells and the Marvelettes are not in it as certainly they deserve better and being put into the "silly" Hall of Fame would be an insult to their careers and legacies?

As for "Motown" keeping them out, which Motown are you referring to? The Current management? Somehow I don't think they could care either way if acts that were on the label 60 years ago are inducted into the "silly" Hall of Fame.

Or do you mean Berry Gordy and Smokey Robinson and any other surviving executives from back in the day? If so, why do you think they don't want them inducted?

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    It is great news. I was surprised to see it when it was announced this morning on the Today Show. It is just sad that Henry is the only Spinner alive to witness the honor.

Also sad that they didn't see fit to include G.C. Cameron, who sang lead on their biggest Motown hit IT'S A SHAME, and John Edwards, who picked up the torch after Philippe left.
    Hi! GC and John will be honored for their MIGHTY contributions to the Spinners legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. T View Post
    Hi! GC and John will be honored for their MIGHTY contributions to the Spinners legacy.
    That's great to hear, as they haven't been mentioned amongst the honorees in the stories I've read.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. T View Post
    Where did you hear that?

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Great news about the Spinners. Well deserved. It's a shame that Thom Bell is no longer with us to be at the gala event or get any recognition. He was the man behind the scenes that brought the group to its accomplishments.
    Agreed! Thom himself should have been inducted a long time ago. Philly Soul artists and writers have been grossly overlooked. The Spinners are only the second group inducted [after the O’jays] and Gamble & Huff are the only producers inducted.
    Last edited by jboy88; 05-04-2023 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    Where did you hear that?
    Me! I handle brand strategy for the Spinners and spearheaded the successful fourth campaign for their induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    Agreed! Thom himself should have been inducted a long time ago. Philly Soul artists and writers have been grossly overlooked. The Spinners are only the second group inducted [after the O’jays] and Gamble & Huff are the only producers inducted.
    I wanted to make a comment about something I just learned about the Spinners. I was reading the booklet The Very Best of The Spinners and I learned something that I may have known but forgot. It never hurts to read over things you have. The booklet differentiates between the R&B charts and the POP charts. They had 6 #1 R&B and only 1 #1 POP, that being Then Came You by Dionne Warwick and the Spinners. I did not realize that Dionne was on their only #1 POP song. Too bad she did not continue with the group or this combination could have produced a lot more great songs.

I decided to incorporate this into this thread vs. starting a new one to make this comment.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I wanted to make a comment about something I just learned about the Spinners. I was reading the booklet The Very Best of The Spinners and I learned something that I may have known but forgot. It never hurts to read over things you have. The booklet differentiates between the R&B charts and the POP charts. They had 6 #1 R&B and only 1 #1 POP, that being Then Came You by Dionne Warwick and the Spinners. I did not realize that Dionne was on their only #1 POP song. Too bad she did not continue with the group or this combination could have produced a lot more great songs.

I decided to incorporate this into this thread vs. starting a new one to make this comment.
    THEN CAME YOU was Dionne's only #1 pop song as well, until THAT'S WHAT FRIENDS ARE FOR.

Well, apparently G.C. Cameron is not going to be inducted with the other Spinners in the R&R Hall of Fame...

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/en...n/71385479007/

Quote Originally Posted by stingbeelee View Post
    Well, apparently G.C. Cameron is not going to be inducted with the other Spinners in the R&R Hall of Fame...

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/en...n/71385479007/
    That’s one of the downsides of groups/bands having numerous personnel changes. Even key members tend to get left out when honors like this happen. Especially if they weren’t a part of the “heyday” period. In a perfect world, Philippe Wynn would have already been inducted as a member of Parliament/Funkadelic. And don’t get me started on people like Cindy Birdsong and Richard Street, as well as several members of the Drifters who weren’t lead singers.