Views: 682
Size:  94.7 KB

Name:  20230430_114539.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  91.6 KB

Name:  20230430_131400.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  91.4 KB

While browsing CDs on eBay recently, I discovered this super-rare Brenda Holloway live-performance CD titled "Together". The entire 14-track set is live versions of her Motown recordings. Brenda is in excellent vocal form, as are the 3 back-up girls. The band -- Snake Davies & The Suspicions -- are surprisingly good [[despite an occasional bum, sour note on a few of the tracks.) Here's the tracklist:

1) Introduction by Snake Davies & The Suspicions during which one of the two instrumentals is Jr. Walker's "Tune Up" followed by "The Duck".

ENTER BRENDA

2) Just Look What You've Done
    3) Starting The Hurt All Over Again
    4) How Many Times Did You Mean It
    5) Lonely Boy
    6) You Can Cry On My Shoulder
    7) Every Little Bit Hurts
    8) When I'm Gone
    9) My World Is Crumbling
    10) You've Made Me So Very Happy
    11) Think It Over [[Before You Break My Heart) [[aka Reconsider)
    12) You're Gonna Love My Baby
    13) I'm So Glad [[aka The Right Track)

According to the CD credits, this CD was recorded at Brenda's 1998 appearance at Burnley Mechanics, and released in the U.K. on the KRL [[Kev Robert's Limited) label in 1999.

I must say, in the 9 years since joining the SDF/Motown Forum in 2014, I've never seen hide nor hair of this important CD release. For me, it's the equivalent of an official, previously-unreleased Motown CD. Sound quality, BTW, is excellent. Unfortunately, I was unable to find any audio link[[s) to provide for you.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 05-01-2023 at 01:05 AM.

Yes I've had this CD for many years and she sings quite well - Brenda is very popular in the UK. I like where Brenda talks about her boobs -at least I think it's what she says and where she refers to being a guest at an upcoming wedding of a couple in the audience. They get a great amosphere on "You're Gonna Love My Baby" though I think she strains a bit. The tracks are available on streaming services such as YouTube Music [[formerly Google Music).

I do love Brenda and she's a lovely and fun lady. And for a real treat [[hmm) - please see my photo with her from 2014.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...VtChh-2jv2NT1/
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 04-30-2023 at 08:18 PM.

Wow, @mystery! Very impressive!

My heart skipped a beat when I first read the headline. I thought this was going to me a Motown release. By my count there are at least three unreleased live concert recording from her time there. But this release looks interesting as well, first time hearing about it.

Wow! Great photo, mystery! That's a special moment you won't soon forget!

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    My heart skipped a beat when I first read the headline. I thought this was going to me a Motown release. By my count there are at least three unreleased live concert recording from her time there. But this release looks interesting as well, first time hearing about it.
    My heart, too, skipped a beat when I found it on eBay, s-blues! At this point in time, it's probably the last of what we'll ever get from Motown's Brenda Holloway offerings. Considering the Motown tracklist, it's as good as an official Motown release to me.

Mystery, I love your take on "A Collection Of 16 Original Big Motown Hits [[Vol. 12)". You picked right up where Motown left off with the greatest of ease! I loved that LP series, and had all of the volumes. I wish they had kept it going.

Gary, that was compiled by members of this forum lol. They know a thing or two about Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Gary, that was compiled by members of this forum lol. They know a thing or two about Motown.
    Yeah, mystery -- I think that's a safe bet!

Mystery - encouraging the Motown audience to pick up where Motown left off with the "16 Big Hits" series was brilliant! I wish I could have gotten in on that. The Vol. 12 considerations were suggested in 2014 -- the same year that I joined the Motown Forum. I must have just missed it. [[Believe it or not, I was actually shy back then!!!)

Yes I've had this CD for many years and she sings quite well - Brenda is very popular in the UK. I like where Brenda talks about her boobs -at least I think it's what she says and where she refers to being a guest at an upcoming wedding of a couple in the audience. They get a great amosphere on "You're Gonna Love My Baby" though I think she strains a bit. The tracks are available on streaming services such as YouTube Music [[formerly Google Music).

I do love Brenda and she's a lovely and fun lady. And for a real treat [[hmm) - please see my photo with her from 2014.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...VtChh-2jv2NT1/
    Yes, just like you, Mysterysinger, I have had a copy for a long time. Think I bought it shortly after release, so over twenty years now.

I have to admit I had rather forgotten about Brenda's live performance of '...Together', so have now located it, and just played it again. If any fans of Brenda Holloway do not yet have a copy, it would be well worth you searching for one.

Just some little notes....

The insert lists 14 tracks but the disc actually shows 30...including spoken sections, etc....which tends to complicate the procedure when looking to play just one track..!

Instrumental backing is twice credited to Snake Davies and the Suspicions...but which should read Snake Davis.

Well known in the business, if not a high-profile name himself, but has played saxophone for some very famous names. Check him out. I think I must have most of his discs, and his own live shows are well worth the ticket price. And I agree with you, Mysterysinger, about 'You're Gonna Love My Baby'.....

I now remember that although my disc looks fine, 'Every Little Bit Hurts' skips at 0.47 seconds in. Unless confirmed otherwise, I have to assume the fault is with this particular disc, and not the pressing.

At the time of recording '...Together', it would appear 'I'm So Glad' [aka 'The Right Track'] must have been one of those tracks where no-one was exactly sure what was the correct title. After the release of 'Anthology', it seems that 'Don't Forget The Motorcity' has now finally determined that it is 'I'm On The Right Track Now'....

To repeat, if you do enjoy Brenda's recordings, and do not have this disc, look for a copy. The sound conveys a real 'live' on-stage atmosphere....the audience response is not very clearly heard, which would have made the experience even better....but Brenda comes over very loud and clear.......

Westgrand, you can rest assured that you're not alone. I just checked my copy of Brenda's live CD for the anomalies you mentioned, and my copy also has a glitch at the 0:47 mark on "Every Little Bit Hurts". Not sure if it's an actual skip or a bed edit. Also, my copy also registers 30 tracks. [[I hadn't noticed it until now, as the first time I played it, I let it play through to the end without trying to repeat any tracks.)

Regarding the 30 tracks, I can verify that I've experienced the same problem while making CD compilations. My TEAC CD-RW880 recorder started doing the same thing. It was the best independent CD recorder I've ever owned. It allowed you to increase the recording level up to +18, or decrease down to -34 which was total fade-out -- and you could do it all without a computer! It would also allow you to start dubbing at any point within a song, and, of course, fade out at any point within the song. Long story short, it was the best CD Recorder I've ever owned. I've missed it dearly since it bit the dust a few months back. Anyway, over the past few years, I noticed that while trying to burn certain tracks, it started turning one-track songs into several track numbers. As with the Brenda Holloway Live CD which turned the 14-track lineup into 30 tracks, it played everything back fine with no drop-outs in the music. However, it was annoying as all get-out when attempting to cue up a certain song. I also discovered that it only had this problem when burning commercial CDs from the past few years. Commercial CDs from the 1990s or before posed no such problem whatsoever. Only the more recent commercial CDs caused the problem. I can only assume that the record companies planted something in the commercial CDs to prevent pirating, which, in and of itself, is fine. But when it screws up my ability to make a decent compilation CD for my own enjoyment, I'm not a happy camper.

I've had this for years. It's also on Spotify!

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Westgrand, you can rest assured that you're not alone. I just checked my copy of Brenda's live CD for the anomalies you mentioned, and my copy also has a glitch at the 0:47 mark on "Every Little Bit Hurts". Not sure if it's an actual skip or a bed edit. Also, my copy also registers 30 tracks. [[I hadn't noticed it until now, as the first time I played it, I let it play through to the end without trying to repeat any tracks.)

Regarding the 30 tracks, I can verify that I've experienced the same problem while making CD compilations. My TEAC CD-RW880 recorder started doing the same thing. It was the best independent CD recorder I've ever owned. It allowed you to increase the recording level up to +18, or decrease down to -34 which was total fade-out -- and you could do it all without a computer! It would also allow you to start dubbing at any point within a song, and, of course, fade out at any point within the song. Long story short, it was the best CD Recorder I've ever owned. I've missed it dearly since it bit the dust a few months back. Anyway, over the past few years, I noticed that while trying to burn certain tracks, it started turning one-track songs into several track numbers. As with the Brenda Holloway Live CD which turned the 14-track lineup into 30 tracks, it played everything back fine with no drop-outs in the music. However, it was annoying as all get-out when attempting to cue up a certain song. I also discovered that it only had this problem when burning commercial CDs from the past few years. Commercial CDs from the 1990s or before posed no such problem whatsoever. Only the more recent commercial CDs caused the problem. I can only assume that the record companies planted something in the commercial CDs to prevent pirating, which, in and of itself, is fine. But when it screws up my ability to make a decent compilation CD for my own enjoyment, I'm not a happy camper.
    Gary, that's interesting....

I then have to assume, whether it is a skip or a bad edit, that it was on the master, and is present on all copies made. Either way, a manufacturing fault.

In addition:

I bought several Essential Media CD-R discs a few years ago - for example, 'The Very Best Of Hattie Littles'.

While I found they would play on the home system, they would not play in the car. Very irritating....

But then the car was changed....and now they play..

Westgrand, you're right -- their master contained the glitch which affects all of us who bought it. To tell you the truth, it didn't really bother me until you mentioned it. Now I'm gonna be aware of it every time I play it! HaHa!

CD-R discs can be touchy. Sometimes they'll play fine on any CD player. Other times, they'll mistrack and skip. It seems to be the luck of the draw.

BTW, Westgrand, the upcoming installment of Motorcity CDs for this coming weekend will be my final offering, as I've depleted my entire supply of Motorcity CDs. It would be great if one [[or more) of you from across the pond submit your CDs, as you've had access to a lot more Motorcity titles than we here in the U.S. have had. I've really enjoyed sharing the CDs in my collection with you, and I've especially appreciated your mutual enthusiasm which was fun while it lasted!

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Westgrand, you're right -- their master contained the glitch which affects all of us who bought it. To tell you the truth, it didn't really bother me until you mentioned it. Now I'm gonna be aware of it every time I play it! HaHa!
    I know, I know.....same here.....it's the anticipation of it coming up, whenever played.

Just like that bum sax note in 'There's No Stopping Us Now'......

I have a good few Motorcity vinyl pieces & even more Motorcity comp CD's somewhere here.
    About 15 to 20 years back, Ian L would put out a number of different Motorcity comp CD's every month. As they were usually so cheap & had at least a few decent tracks on many, I would pick them up for next to nothing. No idea which tracks have already been put up / discussed on here BUT if anyone is in need of a particular track I can look to see if I have it here.
    The best Motorcity tracks are really well know in the UK [[Chuck Jackson, Francis Nero, etc. etc.).

June 26th:

Happy Birthday to Brenda Holloway

Happy Birthday to the BRENDA HOLLOWAY!

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    I know, I know.....same here.....it's the anticipation of it coming up, whenever played.

Just like that bum sax note in 'There's No Stopping Us Now'......
    Yeah, Roger! That sour sax squeak STILL has me scratching my head in disbelief! And on a recording of Motown's top act, no less!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 06-28-2023 at 12:10 AM.

PMG,

My thoughts entirely.....

And it is a squeak which, to your knowledge, features on all versions?

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    PMG,

My thoughts entirely.....

And it is a squeak which, to your knowledge, features on all versions?
    Yeah, Roger, that sax squeak is featured loud and prominently on every version available -- vinyl Motown 45, "Sing HDH" LP, "Greatest Hits" LP [[2-disc set), as well as every CD that features it. To my knowledge, no attempt was ever made by Motown to correct it.