[REMOVE ADS]

Did Motown ever have any company clocks with their name on it?

Posting on behalf of forum member Woodward:

Like many know, Golden World Recordings had a clock at their headquarters prominently displaying their name. Does anyone have any knowledge of Motown ever having something similar with their name placed upon it?

Here is the GW clock which resides at Melodies and Memories, a record shop in Detroit.

Name:  Golden-World-Clock.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  60.7 KB

The owner of M&M told me on my last visit there that one of the GW artists used to frequent his shop regularly and told him that this clock hummed so loudly that they had to unplug it during recording sessions. I know these clocks usually have a neon ring to light the perimeter as well as the large movement motors, so they can operate quite loudly!
    Darin

Yes, Darin. I have a Motown clock made to look like a Motown 45 label. On the right side [[near 3 o'clock), it says Linden Quartz and Courtesy Of Motown Record Corporation. On the left side of the label, toward 9 o'clock, it lists the songs that will play on the stroke of the hour [[Shop Around, Baby I Need Your Loving, I Can't Help Myself, I Heard It Through The Graprvine, It's The Same Old Song, and Reach Out I'll Be There).

I also have two Motown LP clocks which were purchased from eBay dealers who take the basic clock mechanism and attach it to a vinyl Motown LP. My first of the two is Diana Ross' "Touch Me In The Morning" LP which features the traditional dark blue with map American Motown label. The other is Stevie Wonder's "Songs In The Key Of Life" with the light blue and white U.K. Motown label sporting the letter M [[in a box) Motown logo. I'll see if I can come up with photos.

BTW, your Golden World clock is cool!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 05-02-2023 at 01:35 AM.

They sell clock workings & the clock hands as a set that fit any 45 record.
    So many, many fans have just used an old T/ M or US Motown 45 and made their own clocks.
    ALSO, Lots of commercially made Motown-related clocks have been produced down the years by 3rd party makers -- some good, some awful ... NONE I guess officially sanctioned by Motown themselves. Dozens of such items are up on Ebay all the time.
    I'd love to see a scan of an 'official' Motown clock.Attachment 20651
    Last edited by jsmith; 05-03-2023 at 09:00 AM.