[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross/Supremes albums in which all songs were originals?

I'm wondering how many of Diana Ross' solo albums or Supremes albums featured a line up songs that were all originals? That is to say, no cover or remakes of songs recorded by some other act or artist? I don't think there's that many. Only ones that come to mind are:

Supremes: Where did our Love go, More Hits and Right On

Diana Ross: Diana [[1980) and Workin' Overtime [[maybe The Boss?)

Surely there are more?
    Last edited by Spreadinglove21; 04-30-2023 at 10:04 AM.

You can scratch MH off the list. Both "Holds His Own" and "Whisper" had already been released by Mary Wells.

I don't think there is any Supremes album with all originals except WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I don't think there is any Supremes album with all originals except WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO.
    Maybe Mary Scherrie & Susaye???

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    Maybe Mary Scherrie & Susaye???
    It has YOU ARE THE HEART OF ME which had previously been done by Dionne Warwicke.

OK...didn't know who got to it first! TY...."never mind!"

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    You can scratch MH off the list. Both "Holds His Own" and "Whisper" had already been released by Mary Wells.
    OOof--forgot about those!

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    I'm wondering how many of Diana Ross' solo albums or Supremes albums featured a line up songs that were all originals? That is to say, no cover or remakes of songs recorded by some other act or artist? I don't think there's that many. Only ones that come to mind are:

Supremes: Where did our Love go, More Hits and Right On

Diana Ross: Diana [[1980) and Workin' Overtime [[maybe The Boss?)

Surely there are more?
    From RIGHT ON, the song BABY BABY had previously been done by the Miracles.

The only other LP that comes to my mind is Eaten Alive.

How About Diana's most recent album Thank You [and I think you can add The Boss to the list as well]? Ooops, just found out someone had already mentioned Diana's Thank You album. My mistake.
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 05-01-2023 at 04:58 AM.

what about Meet the Supremes?

you might be able to say Floy Joy - yes Kim Weston recorded YWSSL but it wasn't released. were any of the tracks remakes of old Miracles tunes?

and how about Supremes 75?

diana 1980? Silk Electric?

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post

you might be able to say Floy Joy - yes Kim Weston recorded YWSSL but it wasn't released. were any of the tracks remakes of old Miracles tunes?

I’m not at home to verify but a few songs were covers.

Who’s Loving You, Over And Over and Oh Be My Love - The Miracles

Buttered Popcorn - The Vows

Meet has "Who's Lovin You".

Floy Joy has "A Heart Like Mine" and "Oh Be My Love" which were previous Miracles album cuts.

Supremes 75 has "It's All Been Said Before" was originally done by Bobby Hutton on his Piece of the Action album.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    I’m not at home to verify but a few songs were covers.

Who’s Loving You, Over And Over and Oh Be My Love - The Miracles

Buttered Popcorn - The Vows
    didn't the Vows do their version of Popcorn after the Sups?

[QUOTE=sup_fan;758493]what about Meet the Supremes?

On Floy Joy, A Heart Like Mine and Oh Be My Love were both issued in the 60s by the Miracles.

On Supremes 75, You Turned Me Around had already been done by Reuben Howell. Mary puts her vocal on the same instrumental track in fact. I want to say It's All Been Said Before had also been done already, maybe in the Osmond group?

Seeing how so few albums lack any covers, can we talk about the ones that do, that shouldn't?

Regarding Meet, if Smokey wasn't going to give "Who's Lovin' You" to Mary, he should have just kept it to himself. I think it's the most unlistenable track on the entire album. I rarely, if ever, sit through it.

"Tumbling Tumbleweeds" on C&W is another. Diana sounds so weak and bored that it seems silly to have bothered to include it.

"Blowin' In the Wind" from the Crap album, any number of covers more recent than that sat in the vaults, just waiting to be picked for an album, and they reached back to 1966 for this crap? Somebody make it make sense.

"What the World Needs Now" from Reflections. I'd be good if the tape had been "accidentally" erased.

[QUOTE=BayouMotownMan;758501]

On Floy Joy, A Heart Like Mine and Oh Be My Love were both issued in the 60s by the Miracles.

On Supremes 75, You Turned Me Around had already been done by Reuben Howell. Mary puts her vocal on the same instrumental track in fact. I want to say It's All Been Said Before had also been done already, maybe in the Osmond group?
    i thought the Osmond version came afterwards?

The Righteous Brothers did YOU TURN ME AROUND in 1974.

didn't the Vows do their version of Popcorn after the Sups?
    Yes, you are correct. I just checked dftmc.org and they recorded it in 1965.

I had the 45 and I remembered it had a yellow label. So I was thinking early Tamla, but it was early VIP.

Over And Over was new for The Supremes.

On Thank You, The answer's always Love is a cover. Siedhah Garrett did it first.

Unless The Bee Gees previously recorded one of the songs on it, Eaten Alive can be added to the No Covers list.

Unless The Bee Gees previously recorded one of the songs on it, Eaten Alive can be added to the No Covers list.
    I don't think they did aside from the demos of course.

What about The Boss? Are all the songs original to that album? Or were any previously recorded by someone else?

and how about diana 80? aren't those all new too?

I wanted to add Silk Electric to the list, but then "Anywhere you run to" is actually a cover.

What about The Boss? Are all the songs original to that album? Or were any previously recorded by someone else?
    Yes and no. "No One Gets the Prize" is a re-write of A&S's earlier "Someone Else Gets the Prize," which they recorded with Dionne Warwick at Warner's a couple of years earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    I wanted to add Silk Electric to the list, but then "Anywhere you run to" is actually a cover.

do you know the recording dates for this? i might venture this isn't a cover if both tunes were essentially recorded at the same time.

do you know the recording dates for this? i might venture this isn't a cover if both tunes were essentially recorded at the same time.
    Recording dates I don't know, but the Robert's album was released three months before the one by Ross and he also wrote the song and released it on single, so I assumed his version would be the first one, but of course we don't know without the recording dates.