[REMOVE ADS]

What's being sung on LOVE HANGOVER??

.....by the "Supremes" starting at 2:20 and repeated through 3:03 ??

By The Supremes?

Sounds like they're singing "Love to love you. Sweet!"

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Sounds like they're singing "Love to love you. Sweet!"
    agreed. Diana had been repeatedly singing sweet love, i love you, sweet love hangover, etc. so the word "sweet" makes sense. I wouldn't be shocked if the "love to love you" isn't a direct steal from the recent Donna Summer song. it was just SOOOOOO massive of a song in late fall 75. the backing vocals for LH were recorded in late Jan 76 so timing is perfect

Thank you both! That's the way I've always heard it and I always presumed it was a nod to Donna Summer .......but then I wondered if I'd just convinced myself to hear it that way as I've done with other lyrics that then turned out to be something different.

I find the deference to Donna Summer a nice touch if that's indeed the case.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-27-2023 at 02:32 PM.

The amount of “Sweet” used in this .
    I wonder how close they were to calling the song “SWEET HANGOVER” ? Or “SWEET LOVE HANGOVER” or “SWEETEST HANGOVER”
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-28-2023 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    By The Supremes?
    Is it known who they are??

What's being sung is "I love to love you, sweet, ha!" The word "ha" is performed as a loud whisper.

Quote Originally Posted by brothadc View Post
    What's being sung is "I love to love you, sweet, ha!" The word "ha" is performed as a loud whisper.
    I hear it , but more as an "ahhh!"

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Is it known who they are??

as with most Diana lead singles, I guess who's back there is hard to know...

can't ask Diana ....she likely wouldn't/ couldn't ...

Definitely "love to love you, SWEET! Ah..."

I definitely look at it as a jab at Donna Summer. "Love to Love You Baby" had just gotten released and was climbing up the charts when Hal Davis planned the track.

finally looked at wiki:

As the song changed from ballad to uptempo, Ross became more comfortable with the material; she hummed, sang bit parts, laughed, danced around and even imitated Billie Holiday.[5] The carefree and sensual nature of Ross' vocals and the music's direction helped to sell the song, in addition to the background vocals relying heavily on Donna Summer's 1975 hit "Love to Love You Baby".
    didn't realize it was accepted as fact that Donna Summer was being tapped into. Never heard that stated before.
    I also had no idea Diana was channeling Billie Holiday to achieve her tipsy 'hangover' delivery.

^ Notice at one point she was singing "if there's a cure for this, I don't want it, I DON'T WANT IT" very drawn out at one point, that was her Billie impression.