[REMOVE ADS]

Memories of Esther Gordy Edwards

Think of Esther Gordy Edwards today. If she were alive, she would be 103 years old.

She was truly a wonderful person. She always welcomed visitors to the museum that she created and was happy when she conversed with them. She is gone, but not forgotten. We owe a lot to her for all she accomplished.

In loving memory of the late, great Esther Gordy Edwards.

Gone, but not forgotten.

I do wish I had the opportunity to have met Esther, but she passed away about a year before my first visit to Hitsville. I mentioned to Robin Terry last year I wished I could've met her grandmother, but I was glad she was carrying Esther's vision onward.
    Darin

Name:  EGE Office.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  20.3 KB

Mrs. Edwards was a remarkable woman. Because of her, the legacy of Motown lives on through the very fine Motown Museum.

The Motown Museum shared this lovely photo of Mrs. Edwards today. She passed away the same morning that I visited Hitsville for the first time. Everyone has always spoken so very highly of her and it's a testament of her character and memory.

Name:  FB_IMG_1682473446364.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  90.7 KB

Mrs Esther Gordy Edwards was also a songwriter with her brother Berry Gordy "May What He Lived For" with background singers "The Voices Of Love" and issued on "Gordy 7026 Dec 6, 1963" with Liz Lands the singer.

The record recorded and issued on behalf of JFK's tragic assassination in Dallas, as Berry was a loyal supporter along with Esther.
    A remarkable woman.

I was an avid record collector; while coming home from work one day, I was shocked to see Ms. Edwards sitting on the porch next door talking to my next door neighbor Ms. Donaldson and my Mom. I didn't say anything as I went in, so Ms. Donaldson told me to get back out there and say hello. I said hello, Ms. Edwards, and my Mom said "you know her?" and I said yes, that's Berry Gordy's sister and Vice President of Motown. My mom had no idea, she then told Ms. Edwards that Berry had lived down the street on the next block and all the comings and goings at that house [[on Outer Drive). Soon afterwards, Ms. Edwards and I would talk whenever she would visit Ms. Donaldson.
    She would visit on Monica street often, never mentioning that she was with Motown, although she would talk Motown with me. She took us a couple of times to the Gordy mansion. I asked Fawn Edwards, her daughter-in-law to see if Ms. Edwards could find me a copy of You Beat Me to the Punch, and she said she'll ask Esther. A couple of weeks later I had my Mary Wells 45, along with some Motown albums. Ms. Edwards was really down to earth, so humble and so kind.
    Last edited by stingbeelee; 04-28-2023 at 01:40 PM.