[REMOVE ADS]

Every Day is a New Day album

I recall when this was released in 1999 and how much the cover photo, looking like a porcelain doll, turned me off. Upon listening to it, I thought, "this is so depressing." I didn't like it at all.

Now, in retrospect, I have developed such a high regard for the songs when I take them in context with what Diana was going through during that time period. It appears that the lyrics of each song was mirroring what she was going through during that moment. Most of the songs tend to have a message to her former husband-to-be that he's going to regret not having her in his life...such as "Sugar Free". Then there's the "whatever happened to us...how did we get to this point?" of "Until We Meet Again."

"Someone That You Love Before" has a pleading that she wants to get back with him again...."I'd do anything
    To hold you in my arms
    And then hear you say
    You're back in love with me again."

And "So They Say" tells Arne "You'll always have a special place in my heart."

Of course, Diana, towards the end of this project declares "Carry On."

Yes, this album does lack any really 'feel good' songs; however it does, as many fans know, let us know what Diana was going through at that time.

Oh, yeah, something else that sticks out about this album is that, for the most part, the background vocals don't sit quite so far back in the mix as in her other projects. There appears to be a lot of interplay, through the vocal lines, between Diana and the singers which I've not heard much in her other music. "So They Say" is a good example of this. Maybe they are symbolic of her support system at the time.

So, now Everyday is a New Day has now moved up from towards the bottom of my list of Diana albums.
    Last edited by jobucats; 04-20-2023 at 01:46 PM.

Diana is in great voice throughout, but it can be a bit of a downer.
    As proved by the UK top #10 remix of Not Over You Yet” and club success of “Until We Meet Again”, a dance album would have been the way to go.
    Its a shame the album was abandoned so soon, as with further remixes other songs contained chart potential, particularly in Europe.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 04-20-2023 at 09:50 AM.

It has some great songs like HE LIVES IN YOU, UNTIL WE MEET AGAIN, LOVE IS ALL THAT MATTERS, etc. But I find a lot of it to be rather average.

I've always complained about the album's sequencing. For me, it starts and ends strong but the middle doesn't grab me. But as written above, it does illustrate what Diana was going through at the time. She also included a note that she had been thinking a lot about Marvin at the time. I could imagine that could be depressing as well.

overall this is one of my favorite of her 90s albums. mostly because i just prefer the dance beat and sounds from the music of later 90s versus the new jack/swing sound from earlier in the decade.

you're right that the lyrical content get be a bit heavy and sad. but the performances are strong and it's not that the sound of each song is slow, quiet and depressing. the dance beats and all keep things moving

i do agree that the cover is less that perfect but frankly almost all of her covers post motown were less than thrilling IMO

I really did not care for this album when it was released. It wasn't what I wanted to hear from Diana at that time. The album started well with He Lives In You, but then it seemed to drag down as it went along. After 20 years, my opinion has changed. I actually like a lot of the recording. Without expectations, it's actually a very good album. For me, the one I still cannot listen to is Working Overtime. I didn't care for it on release and still do not care for it.

I agree with everything stated above
    It was kind of depressing but it has grown on me as well and it is in my top ten.
    Love the remix of Not Over You Yet.
    Also ,He Lives In You.,...Sugarfree,...Love Is All That matters, Carry On, and the title track are all great.
    A few more remixes would have been great.

One of my favorite pieces of work by Diana. I didn't care how many awards it got or chart positions because I could relate to each song at the time and I loved her for it. Each song slowly pulled me out of a funk and it was right on time. I guess that is what relates each song to what we are feeling. It is still on my car system and yes I will CARRY ON.

I really liked this CD, I think it was one of her better efforts in her later career. I have listened to it frequently when I got it. I haven't listened to it in quite some time. Definitely a nice piece of work.

I really love this album. My favorite of her return back to Motown. The sound was so current at the time. It should have been a big hit.

Sadly Diana did not care much for this album. She was reluctant to promote it and she felt it was a step down from Force and Take Me Higher both of which she really liked. She was very unhappy on a personal level and did not really care if it failed or succeeded.
    I thought it was a solid but unremarkable album that has aged quite well. Had it had the support of Motown it could have made some noise. She promoted the hell out of Workin Overtime despite hating the album. It's a pity she was unable to do the same with this album.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    It has some great songs like HE LIVES IN YOU, UNTIL WE MEET AGAIN, LOVE IS ALL THAT MATTERS, etc. But I find a lot of it to be rather average.

I've always complained about the album's sequencing. For me, it starts and ends strong but the middle doesn't grab me. But as written above, it does illustrate what Diana was going through at the time. She also included a note that she had been thinking a lot about Marvin at the time. I could imagine that could be depressing as well.
    I agree about the sequencing. My playlist for the car being -

Every Day Is A New Day
    Got To Be Free.
    Not Over You Yet
    So They Say
    He Lives In You
    Sugar Free
    Until We Meet Again
    Carry On
    Love Is All That Matters
    Hope Is An Open Window
    Someone That You Loved Before
    Not Over You Yet [[remix)

" Not over you Yet", "He Lives in You" and "Someone You Loved Before" are great songs. Wish they were promoted more. Great vocals and productions.

The album suffered from the exclusion of “Drop The Mask” And Free [[I’m Gone” which might have replaced a couple of the soggy ballads.
    It’s worth noting that “EDIAND” was in production before Diana and Arne had actually separated, so it couldn’t have been that big a surprise.

the sound of the album was definitely contemporary and the remixes were really hot. Dance clubs got behind them but unfortunately, in the US, the songs didn't make the jump to the pop charts.

Cher had just recently had her MASSIVE hit with Believe and jumping into the whole electronic genre. i'm glad Diana didn't try and copy that but i think Carry On and some of the other tunes on here could have had a [[somewhat) similar impact. Diana was already well known for that big pop/gospel/r&b sound with Mountain, Boss and then the urban sizzle of Upside Down and Coming Out. Carry On is a fresh and modern play on all of that. it could have been the lead single and really helped generate big buzz for the project.

of course her personal problems definitely interfered. the Heathrow incident happened just months after the album was released May 99. that didn't help her image at all. then by spring 00 we had the whole RTL debacle. By that point, the public wasn't really "rooting" for her and as a result weren't really interested in giving this legend another turn in the spotlight.

I love EDIAND and for what it's worth "Sugar Free" is the last 'new' song that got regular radio airplay.

Wow! Groundhog Day deja vu! This one ... Anyhoo, excellent album and unfortunate for those who don't like it.

One of my favourite albums.

In the UK, Not Over You Yet was a big hit. It should have been followed up with Carry On as Diana was once more popular in clubs.

The album is a mood, certainly a break up/divorce album. No wonder when she does perform something from it, she sticks with He Lives In You.

Speaking of He Lives In You, does anyone else think the arrangement was partly inspired by the title track of Janet Jackson's 1997 album The Velvet Rope?

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    The album is a mood, certainly a break up/divorce album. No wonder when she does perform something from it, she sticks with He Lives In You.
    The majority of singers and performers are able to interpret their emotions and life experiences by way of live and recorded performances. To avoid performing something that you find rather sad seems a little lightweight. I wonder how on earth singers such as Billie Holiday, Edith Piaf or even Judy Garland ever coped?.

Don’t know about Edith, but are Billie and Judy good examples?

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Don’t know about Edith, but are Billie and Judy good examples?
    I did think that after posting lol. The point being performers use any sadness they have experienced in life to better interpret a song. That’s how you often hear the expression ‘living the song’.
    If it’s true she really disliked this album, it does rather seem a rather pointless exercise.

One of my favorite Diana albums. Don't mind the darker tone of the album. I also think the booklet is one of her best.

didnt care for the lp cover art. also kind of dark ,moody
    loved the remix Not Over You Yet

I liked the album so much when I first got it. I did get it after seeing the Double Platinum film [[in fact, I think I bought Never Say Never and EDIAND at the same time, not sure though). And I actually had it on repeat but looking back, it's such a weird period. Like yeah, Diana recorded a bunch of songs that catered to the dark side of romantic relationships [[namely the end of a relationship) but she had started the album with two inspirational songs [[He Lives in You from Lion King and Love Is All That Matters, a solo version of the song used from Double Platinum) and then after that, just sad song after sad song [[in the middle of it there's Hope Is an Open Window).

Like someone said, the sequencing was off. It seems Diana wasn't sure of what sound she wanted. Half the album was very in tune to the neo-soul-ish R&B sound current of the times, another part were some adult contemporary ballads and others are dance remixes. Diana was at a crossroads, I believe. Also with the remixes of Not Over You Yet and Until We Meet Again [[there were two dance remixes), she wanted to get the same comeback route of Cher that year with "Believe" but also the same respect that MJB was getting from her albums. And it's clear that's where she wanted to go but when you're an artist who is so grand as Diana appeared to be, it can be hard to compete. Plus, Diana had been on a losing streak commercially since 1985 so it was harder for her to match with what Tina Turner and Cher managed to accomplish at the time. It's still a very good album of good songs though!

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I liked the album so much when I first got it. I did get it after seeing the Double Platinum film [[in fact, I think I bought Never Say Never and EDIAND at the same time, not sure though). And I actually had it on repeat but looking back, it's such a weird period. Like yeah, Diana recorded a bunch of songs that catered to the dark side of romantic relationships [[namely the end of a relationship) but she had started the album with two inspirational songs [[He Lives in You from Lion King and Love Is All That Matters, a solo version of the song used from Double Platinum) and then after that, just sad song after sad song [[in the middle of it there's Hope Is an Open Window).

Like someone said, the sequencing was off. It seems Diana wasn't sure of what sound she wanted. Half the album was very in tune to the neo-soul-ish R&B sound current of the times, another part were some adult contemporary ballads and others are dance remixes. Diana was at a crossroads, I believe. Also with the remixes of Not Over You Yet and Until We Meet Again [[there were two dance remixes), she wanted to get the same comeback route of Cher that year with "Believe" but also the same respect that MJB was getting from her albums. And it's clear that's where she wanted to go but when you're an artist who is so grand as Diana appeared to be, it can be hard to compete. Plus, Diana had been on a losing streak commercially since 1985 so it was harder for her to match with what Tina Turner and Cher managed to accomplish at the time. It's still a very good album of good songs though!
    The sequencing certainly makes the album drag a little which is a shame.
    As someone who enjoys the odd inspirational song, i have never found “Hope Is An Open Window” to be that uplifting, particularly when compared to other songs of that genre she has recorded.
    “Carry On” would have made for a great single, but Diana’s voice is buried in the mix which slightly dilutes her feisty vocal performance.

It took me a moment but I became obsessed with this album.
    I was so overwhelmed by her sincerity that I started listening to her with another perspective.

To simplify it makes me realise that when she says her albums are the reflect of what's going on in her life, it was true.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    The sequencing certainly makes the album drag a little which is a shame.
    As someone who enjoys the odd inspirational song, i have never found “Hope Is An Open Window” to be that uplifting, particularly when compared to other songs of that genre she has recorded.
    “Carry On” would have made for a great single, but Diana’s voice is buried in the mix which slightly dilutes her feisty vocal performance.
    They should've used the version on Double Platinum. That really depleted what had been an enjoyable album up until that point. Also Hope should've been left off too IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

i think had circumstances been more in her favor, she could have made a hit with this album and the remixes. Cher had sort of opened the door with Believe and so this album could have maybe tapped into that fan hysteria. it would have required a lot of PR in the US and perhaps in formats and venues she wasn't typically using. she might have had to either skip or at least augment her typical visits to The View and Oprah. I don't remember if Cher did any appearances or publicity with MTV but that would have helped. and with BET.

IMO Carry On was the best crossover song to start with. or the great remix of Until We Meet Again. Not Over You in the remix form would have been a solid follow up.

also Diana would have had to be mentally in a MUCH better place. the divorce, the drinking, menopause. all of those really just combined to create a horrible condition for her

Cher was always on VH1, which Diana definitely could've used. But yeah she wasn't in the mood to promote the album. It came out at a very awful time in her life at the time.

If I remember correctly, didn't Diana say that her son helped sequence the album? Put me in the category of those who feel a better sequencing would have helped the album. It started and ended fine, but the middle seemed to overwhelmingly drag.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    If I remember correctly, didn't Diana say that her son helped sequence the album? Put me in the category of those who feel a better sequencing would have helped the album. It started and ended fine, but the middle seemed to overwhelmingly drag.
    I don't know if he helped with the whole thing. But I do remember Diana saying that it was his recommendation that HE LIVES IN YOU be the opening track.

I have always found some of the artwork used for the album to be rather odd. On the cover, as on a few of the other pics she looks virtually a white woman. Can’t imagine it would have helped endear her to the black community.

The cover shot of her on EDIAND certainly, if intended or not, shows a woman going through some big issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    The cover shot of her on EDIAND certainly, if intended or not, shows a woman going through some big issues.
    Are you saying that her state of mind during this time is reflected in her wanting to appear Caucasian on the cover of the album?.
    Though not as white as on “EDIAND”, Diana had previously shown a preference for looking pale skinned on album covers, particularly those from her rca years when she was in full control.

I thought it was a well-produced album, but personally I found it too depressing, and I am not a fan of that sleepy late-90s R&B. He Lives In You was gorgeous, Carry On was great and punchy, but I really do not care much for everything in the middle that just ends up sounding very same-ish, although it did seem like a lot of thought went into it, and Diana sings well. The style just was and is not to my taste.