[REMOVE ADS]

Bettye LaVette Has No ‘Plan B’ for Self-Titled New Album

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...es-1234705211/

The Blues Hall of Famer shared the record's lead single and announced tour dates on Wednesday

BY CHARISMA MADARANG

Bettye LaVette DANNY CLINCH

Legendary singer-songwriter Bettye LaVette announced her upcoming new album, titled LaVette!, and released its lead single, “Plan B,” on Wednesday. The icon also shared dates for a U.S. summer tour, starting with Seattle, Washington on June 20.

LaVette! is produced by Steve Jordan for his label with Meegan Voss, Jay-Vee Records. Jordan also drums on the album and brought together a host of musicians for the project, featuring Pino Palladino on bass, Larry Campbell and Chris Bruce on guitars, and Leon Pendarvis on keyboard. “When I prepare a band for her, I make sure we have it together. When she joins us, we’re only gonna get one or two takes, because she puts her heart and soul into each performance,” said Jordan in a statement.

Guests on the record include John Mayer, Jon Batiste, Anthony Hamilton, Steve Winwood, Ray Parker Jr., Rev. Charles Hodges, James Carter, and Pedrito Martinez.

“Danglin’ on a string, mumblin’ a prayer/My mojo’s busted, and I ain’t got a spare,” sings LaVette on “Plan B,” who reminds us, “I might be crazy, but at least I’m free/But I ain’t worried ’bout it. I ain’t got no Plan B.” The powerhouse new track sets the icon’s signature voice against a soulful, blues guitar.

“I ain’t got no f*cking other plan,” LaVette said in a press release when remarking on her storied 61-year career, which began in 1960’s Detroit and resurged in the mid-2000’s with I’ve Got My Own Hell to Raise. LaVette! is set to release June 16, just four days before her summer tour kicks off.

The Blues Hall of Famer worked with songwriter Randall Bramblett for the new record. “I think he’s the best songwriter I’ve heard in the past 30 years,” said LaVette.

“I’m very happy with what we’ve done,” she added. “It is very, very difficult to please an old woman, but I’m nearly excited.”

Bettye LaVette Tour Dates

June 20 & 21 — Seattle, WA @ The Triple Door
    June 23 & 24 — Berkeley, CA @ Freight & Salvage
    July 7 — New York, NY @ City Winery
    July 8 — Philadelphia, PA @ City Winery
    July 9 — Washington, DC @ The Hamilton
    July 11 — Red Bank, NJ @ The Vogel, Count Basie Center for the Arts
    July 13 — Portsmouth, NH @ Jimmy’s Jazz Club
    July 14 — Fall Rivers, MA @ The Narrows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-BQ64WquUs

Looking forward to this new album from Ms LaVette! Love the first single "Plan B" and that album cover!

Thanks for posting this article. I haven't seen Bettye since before Covid so I hope to see her again.

My pleasure, Reese. I think the last time I saw Bettye was in 2015. I've seen her a few times but would love to see her again as well, if she comes around to my area. I had the pleasure of meeting her twice as well. She's a fun and lovely lady.

I met her when she touring after the release of her book. She was nice enough to pose for a photo with me.

She was in my area after Covid. I actually bought a ticket and was on my out the door when I sneezed. Just that one sneeze made me so paranoid that I didn't even go.

Glad to see that you had a great experience meeting Bettye too, Reese! I also first met her when she released her book. I need to go back and re-read it soon. It was quite the page turner.

Dang, sorry to read that you missed her show. Despite some paranoia [I don't blame you] it's nice that you were considerate of others and stayed home. A lot of people would unfortunately not even give it a second thought. I've been the same way at times during the last few years, mistakenly thinking I've been sick with covid and then modifying plans.