[REMOVE ADS]

Flo Ballard and Diana Ross Vocal Ranges Assessed

Nice showcase of the ladies' vocal ranges. I'm not proficient in the technical study of voice and range and all that "nonsense". I just like what I like, moved by whatever voice moves me. But I thought it was cool that people who know these things took time to spotlight Florence and Diana.

Like RanRan79, I'm not technical at all when it comes to music. I just like what I like.

But when I see videos like these, I wonder how you can assess someone's vocal range using songs from a multi-year span. I mean, someone might have had five octaves when they were 27 but have it reduced to two or three over the years.

Note: I realize that Flo's video is reflecting her power and is from a shorter time frame. But even her vocals seemed to have changed by the time she left the group.

As someone who appreciates vocalists, I don't place much stock into an individual's range UNLESS it addresses the versatility of that artist to be able sound 'good' in not only his/her genre of music but who can also sound good in other genres, with the possible exception of opera/classical which takes singing to a whole 'nother level. A five octave range doesn't impress me when most songs, pop or standards, don't have a vocalist using more than a 2 octave range. There are exceptions where artists like Minnie Ripperton or Mariah Carey have showcased their high 'bird sounding' notes; however, to me, that's just novelty singing.

In Diana's case, I believe when she worked with Quincy Jones on the music for "The Wiz," she was taken into vocal range territory where she had rarely, up to that time visited. I tend to believe Florence had a more natural transition from her lower register to her higher register.

There are some artists who, in my opinion have very limited ranges; however they have capitalized on the ranges they have. Cher is an example. I can't think of many songs she has done which have gone outside maybe an octave range. But I still appreciate and enjoy what she has done.
    Last edited by jobucats; 03-30-2023 at 09:42 PM.

Diana Ross' vocals on the "The Wiz" soundtrack are phenomenally comforting. Love this album. Quincy Jones deserves credit for an enjoyable album with great orchestral flourishes.

You all know who Slaychelle, who made the first video, is, right?

I much prefer a vocalist who may have a tiny limited voice but sings the right material with passion and emotion over some vocal acrobat who uses their vocal to show off their range and doesn't connect at all to the lyrics/story/emotion of the song. IN other words, Chet Baker > Christina Aguliera

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Like RanRan79, I'm not technical at all when it comes to music. I just like what I like.

But when I see videos like these, I wonder how you can assess someone's vocal range using songs from a multi-year span. I mean, someone might have had five octaves when they were 27 but have it reduced to two or three over the years.

Note: I realize that Flo's video is reflecting her power and is from a shorter time frame. But even her vocals seemed to have changed by the time she left the group.
    I think the point is to show instances of the singer- in these cases Flo and Diana- hitting particular notes and calling it their "range". But as I said, I don't understand the science of it.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    As someone who appreciates vocalists, I don't place much stock into an individual's range UNLESS it addresses the versatility of that artist to be able sound 'good' in not only his/her genre of music but who can also sound good in other genres, with the possible exception of opera/classical which takes singing to a whole 'nother level. A five octave range doesn't impress me when most songs, pop or standards, don't have a vocalist using more than a 2 octave range. There are exceptions where artists like Minnie Ripperton or Mariah Carey have don't their high 'bird sounding' notes; however, to me, that's just novelty singing.

In Diana's case, I believe when she worked with Quincy Jones on the music for "The Wiz," she was taken into vocal range territory where she had rarely, up to that time visited. I tend to believe Florence had a more natural transition from her lower register to her higher register.

There are some artists who, in my opinion have very limited ranges; however they have capitalized on the ranges they have. Cher is an example. I can't think of many songs she has done which have gone outside maybe an octave range. But I still appreciate and enjoy what she has done.
    Agree 1000 percent, except the novelty singing part. I am not a fan of female singers with particularly high singing voices, with the exception of Jean Terrell and Deniece Williams. But I think when singers like Minnie and Mariah do those crazy notes, it's just another facet of their talent, for folks who enjoy that sort of thing.

I always say there are two kinds of singers: talented ones and untalented ones. Everybody in the world with working vocal chords can sing, it's just that most folks don't do it with any talent. Lol For me, as long as you're talented and your voice moves me, that's all that matters. That's why I can love a Diana Ross and an Aretha Franklin equally, or a Andy Gibb and Marvin Gaye.