[REMOVE ADS]

Brian Alexander Morgan: Why Coko Sang lead on SWV Songs

SWV were my favorite female group when I was a teen [[aside from you know who). Interesting take on the subject of the lead singer vs the backing vocals by the producer who crafted their initial hits. Around the 4:16 mark he talks about Flo and Mary and their role as Supremes. His take is slightly different than mine- as I'm of the opinion that they were far more than capable lead singers themselves- but he's spot on regarding their contribution which should never be overlooked.

Thanks for posting this, RanRan. I'm not familiar with SWV or Brian Alexander Morgan [[I'm old), but he expressed much of what I've felt about the Supremes and Diana Ross and why they were so successful. Of course, I thought of Berry Gordy, Smokey and HDH and their thoughts and opinions which have been on the record in books and interviews as I listened to this. More importantly, this made me consider Mary & Florence as Supremes more than I have.

I did enjoy the video. SWV was one of my favorites [[though I’m more of a Jade fan) I did like the analogy on how he compared SWV to the Supremes. I thought his analogy of the Jackson Five was a poor example seeing that most of the hits were more of a Michael/Jermaine combo.

My takeaway from this is that it's always the HOOK of a song that's remembered. So while the lead vocal is integral to the success, it's that "Baby Baby" that's the most memorable.

If you polled the general public, I'd believe most wouldn't know the actual LYRICS to a Supremes song, but I'd bet anything they'd know the CHORUS.

I had SWV's first and third albums, and as I recall Coko did most of the leads though Taj and LeLee got an occasional shot at lead.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    I did enjoy the video. SWV was one of my favorites [[though I’m more of a Jade fan) I did like the analogy on how he compared SWV to the Supremes. I thought his analogy of the Jackson Five was a poor example seeing that most of the hits were more of a Michael/Jermaine combo.
    True, the J5 utilized Mike and Jermaine quite a bit.

I was a Jade fan also. If I were to do a boxset of the soundtrack of my teens, "Don't Walk Away" would easily make the cut. I wore that out.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    My takeaway from this is that it's always the HOOK of a song that's remembered. So while the lead vocal is integral to the success, it's that "Baby Baby" that's the most memorable.

If you polled the general public, I'd believe most wouldn't know the actual LYRICS to a Supremes song, but I'd bet anything they'd know the CHORUS.
    ...Agreed...

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    I had SWV's first and third albums, and as I recall Coko did most of the leads though Taj and LeLee got an occasional shot at lead.
    The first album was all led by Coko. The second and third albums [[not counting the remix album) had Lelee and Taj leads. I wasn't overly fond of the third one, but the second album was as good as the first, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    True, the J5 utilized Mike and Jermaine quite a bit.

I was a Jade fan also. If I were to do a boxset of the soundtrack of my teens, "Don't Walk Away" would easily make the cut. I wore that out.
    He didn't mention EnVouge where all they ladies sang lead. They initially hit with Terry's intro and Cindy's full lead on Hold On but the 2nd single "Lies" had all the ladies with a part. The 2nd album was The Dawn & Maxine show so if you have good producers you can craft the song where everyone is featured.

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    He didn't mention EnVouge where all they ladies sang lead. They initially hit with Terry's intro and Cindy's full lead on Hold On but the 2nd single "Lies" had all the ladies with a part. The 2nd album was The Dawn & Maxine show so if you have good producers you can craft the song where everyone is featured.
    Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    SWV were my favorite female group when I was a teen
    Not En Vogue?

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Not En Vogue?
    Nope. They released their first album when I was a kid and it was great. I still have a copy. By the time I was a teenager they weren't really doing anything that appealed to me, aside from "Don't Let Go Love". For me it was all about SWV and Jodeci. Those were my Supremes and Temptations. I had all the music, my walls were covered with posters, collected the magazines, clipped articles...all the stuff I read about fans doing for the Supremes back in the day. The only thing I didn't do was force myself into their entourage, which is a shame because if I had, right about now I could write a book about the time Coko kicked me out of her hotel room with melting pizza cheese in my hand or a coked out K-Ci choking Martha Reeves on a tour of the old Hitsville building.