[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Wonderful one

Wonderful one

Somehow this must have slipped by me but according to "The Lost Supreme", Florence Ballard is the only background voice on Wonderful One by Marvin Gaye. Can anyone validate this. Facts....
    After listening to it over and over again I can hear Flo on that. How did she end up in the studio by herself that day. Hmmmm

I hear all of the girls. Flo is very prominent.
    Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Somehow this must have slipped by me but according to "The Lost Supreme", Florence Ballard is the only background voice on Wonderful One by Marvin Gaye. Can anyone validate this. Facts....
    After listening to it over and over again I can hear Flo on that. How did she end up in the studio by herself that day. Hmmmm

I don't remember reading that in The TLS book. But that's wrong info. Flo and Diana are very recognizable on the song. Mary is there too but she's overpowered by the others, I think. "Can I Get A Witness" has Flo and Diana in the background too.

The Supremes practically lived at Hitsville, but they weren't always there together. They did have lives outside the studio. There are probably dozens of instances where each lady happened to be the only one available and joined in on a session or two. Did you think they did everything as a group?

Flo comes through loud and clear. I cant help thinking she might have been a lot happier as member of the Andantes as opposed to the Supremes.

Definitely the Supremes. You can clearly hear Diana and Mary alongside Flo but Flo is the loudest voice so you hear her very prominently. The same thing happened with "Can I Get a Witness" [[which the Supremes sang background along with HDH, I think).

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Flo comes through loud and clear. I cant help thinking she might have been a lot happier as member of the Andantes as opposed to the Supremes.
    Well we know she really enjoyed that touring tenure of being a honorary Marvelette [[though oddly enough she later dismissed their singing lmao).

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    What makes you think that? Flo was very happy as a Supreme until things went left. I think she would have been happier as a Supreme if the lead singer's ego wasn't over inflated, the boss wasn't a giant butthole, another Supreme was willing to stick up for herself, and Flo herself understood how to communicate her feelings better. Story might have turned out differently.

Flo and Diana are on "Witness". I don't believe Mary is with them. She credited the background vocals to Martha and the Vandellas. I suspect she wasn't involved and I don't hear her.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    What makes you think that? Flo was very happy as a Supreme until things went left. I think she would have been happier as a Supreme if the lead singer's ego wasn't over inflated, the boss wasn't a giant butthole, another Supreme was willing to stick up for herself, and Flo herself understood how to communicate her feelings better. Story might have turned out differently.
    That’s a lot of if’s Ran.

Definitely hear Flo and Diana. I'm pretty sure I hear Mary on the "ooooh"s.

I know there's songs Mary did without the other two such as "Mickey's Monkey". I remember reading Flo said she did some songs without Mary, I wonder which ones those were.

It’s well documented that Mary did background work separately from the girls. I’ve heard Flo might have but it’s always vague on exactly what was she on.
    Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Definitely hear Flo and Diana. I'm pretty sure I hear Mary on the "ooooh"s.

I know there's songs Mary did without the other two such as "Mickey's Monkey". I remember reading Flo said she did some songs without Mary, I wonder which ones those were.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    It’s well documented that Mary did background work separately from the girls. I’ve heard Flo might have but it’s always vague on exactly what was she on.
    One of the ones with Flo is Mickey McCullers "I'll Cry a Million Tears".