[REMOVE ADS]

Martha Reeves Faces Funding Deadline for Hollywood Walk of Fame Star

80k in this economy? I wish Martha the best.

Two things stood out to me when I had initially read about this fundraising campaign. The first is that the $25K portion for a reception and first-class accommodations seems inflated and possibly unnecessary. My second thought is despite Martha Reeves being a legend and having a long music career, I don't think it makes sense to put only her name on this star. If she had experienced some major solo success, then ok, it makes sense. However, Martha's name has always been associated in most people's minds with the Vandellas, hence why she still travels all over the world performing as such. If she were putting up the money herself for this star, then I'd say, "Sure, put whatever name you want on there." However, if you're going to make a plea to your fans to donate, then in my opinion, it's only right to honour Martha Reeves AND the Vandellas with this star. My guess is that she still has major beef with original the Vandellas, Rosalind and Annette, and she would rather keep them out of this, which is a shame, in and of itself.

Hopefully a celebrity admirer or public figure will come through with the needed funds for her star.
    Last edited by carlo; 03-26-2023 at 10:12 PM.

Another thought...

I'm reading that they need the money asap, as the two year nomination window closes in June. If they don't raise enough money before June, are they able to nominate her again? If not, will everyone have their donations refunded to them?

They should have at least used a more legitimate fundraising platform website, like Go Fund Me...instead of, "Hey, just send your money to my new manager through my website".

Edit: According to the Hollywood Walk of Fame's website, they have five years to 'schedule their ceremony', after the celebrity is nominated, otherwise they can resubmit a nomination application again.

https://walkoffame.com/faq/
    Last edited by carlo; 03-26-2023 at 10:54 PM.

It seems like they jumped the gun on this one. When they first announced Martha's star [along with a bunch of others] a year or so ago, I thought it was a done deal. I didn't know it was really the first step in the process.

In any event, I hope it works out for her as she certainly deserves it. And yes, it would be nice if the Vandellas were recognized in some way as well. As glad as I was when Gladys Knight received her star, I felt the Pips were slighted because they didn't receive one as well.

While I support the effort, I too wondered what happens with the funds raised if they do not meet the total needed for the star. So in order to get something for my "donation", I just went ahead and ordered one of the 60th anniversary limited edition autographed posters. I do agree as well that it should've been Martha AND the Vandellas recognized.
    Darin

Wouldn't it be better for Martha and the Vandellas to have a star than Martha Reeves? Still can't believe after all these years, Martha still thinks she has the right to have her own star. And she couldn't get ANYBODY to fund her that money? No one?

I think it certainly broadens the fundraising scope if she'd include the Vandellas. I don't know what lies between Martha and the Original Vandellas, but it doesn't serve Martha any good not having them promote this effort.

I also think the additional $25k "ask" is ambitious. In another post, it was broken down for airfare, hotel accommodations, party/reception, etc. $25,000? That seems steep. And also, let's be frank: if Martha miraculously raises the $55k, she can't pay for her own flight and hotel and party?

It would sit much better with me if she was saying, hey, this honor costs $80k; I'm kicking in half in hopes that I can raise the other half.

This has been in the local Detroit newspapers, the local newscasts and the local radio news - it was on WWJ 950 this morning. The star should be Martha and the Vandellas, period. Martha didn't sing by herself on any of the records that the public would recognize. It's just like the national metal that Gladys received - why didn't the Pips get their metal too [[Bubba in person and William and Edward's families). Martha does get along with Anette, Roz, and Betty, although it is a tense relationship. So it should be Martha and the Vandellas getting the star.

a shame Detroit didn’t come up with a Motown version of a star walk many moons ago.
    Hollywood’s was a very clever tourist gimmick intended to recognize the shakers of HOLLYWOOD.
    Did Martha even record there ??

does berry Gordy have a star ?
    does the Graumans Chinese theatre still do the cement imprints thing ?

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    a shame Detroit didn’t come up with a Motown version of a star walk many moons ago.
    Hollywood’s was a very clever tourist gimmick intended to recognize the shakers of HOLLYWOOD.

Not sure if she recorded in Hollywood but Martha did live in California for some time.

Berry received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1996.

He haw can you imagine if anyone who lived in California for a time met the requirements

where are the latest stars in the pavement located at this point ?? Silverlake?

a list of Motowners that have stars would be interesting.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-27-2023 at 02:57 PM.

He haw can you imagine if anyone who lived in California for a time met the requirements

where are the new stars at this point ?? Silverlake?

Diana
    Stevie
    MJ
    Smokey
    Marvin
    Supremes
    Tempts
    Four Tops
    Berry G Jr.

Gladys Knight
    The Miracles
    The Jacksons
    Holland-Dozier-Holland

Interesting . Thanks!

Rick James comes to mind as someone more Hollywood.

where are the latest stars in the pavement located at this point ?? Silverlake?

They get moved around from time to time, and I believe that some may be stored occasionally. In addition, there are also "placeholder" squares in the sidewalks, especially around Hollywood Blvd., I believe, for future star recipients, where they have a star already in the sidewalk but with no name on it as yet.

as a fan & friend of Marthas' since 1962, I have donated for this STAR. SHE alone remained in the music business. SHE was instumental in having all the Vandellas inducted into the RRHOF.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    SHE was instumental in having all the Vandellas inducted into the RRHOF.
    As she should have, but unfortunately she left out Sandy.

This is the message copied from the first thread about this

This is from Stubass and it seems relevant to this discussion:

Hi Chris...

As the person who nominated and sponsored the successful campaign for the Funk Brothers Walk Of Fame recognition and advised on another... best of luck in your worthy efforts on behalf of Martha Reeves [[Vandellas too?)... Obviously, since 2013, the cost of the process has more than doubled according to your post. Ours cost $25,000 [[Andy Garcia told me that his Star in the 90's only cost $5,000)... It took me nearly the entire 5 years to come up with the funding and was "saved" at the last minute before having to consider using personal funds if I wanted the ceremony to continue... Assuming you have already gotten the acceptance of your nomination, one word of warning... The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, very nice folks, however, discourage public solicitation for funding, and in fact, I received 3 warnings, one relating to public solicitation of having the plug pulled by the Chamber on the entire event. We had to go more underground and through personal contacts, and thankfully, a few individuals came through, at the time unbeknownst to me, with the funding and we got it in just under the deadline... A lot of what we were doing was quite innocent, but apparently against the Chambers rules...Otherwise, Ana and Leron at the Chamber were great. One more warning...beware of those who would try to come along and hijack your efforts that happened to me, however, Ana knew what I had done and kicked the others to the curb... For some reason, there are those who want to be associated with the process... One person I did allow to organize with the after event celebration stiffed the musicians he hired and being a former musician myself, I felt bad and ended up paying them myself... This same guy also apparently stiffed the luxury bus he offered to provide to transport out of town guests to the after event... There was a time I would have gladly handed the project off to someone else, however, Ana convinced me that since I [[and a lady named Jeanne) had initiated the entire nomination, she urged me to stick with it and I did... A lot of work leading up to the actual ceremony and a lot of loose ends to tie up... The entire month before the ceremony, it was like I was working two fulltime jobs 24/7, but in the end, I'm sure you'll find your efforts satisfying and well worth it... Best of luck...

Think Martha recorded her self-titled MCA album in Los Angeles. Think she actually lived there for a time before 1977 or so.

Someone should appeal to Berry Gordy to pay for this, he owes her that. Martha carried his company in1963 and sold a lot of records for at least four more years. She remains the ambassador of the classic Motown sound.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Someone should appeal to Berry Gordy to pay for this, he owes her that. Martha carried his company in1963 and sold a lot of records for at least four more years. She remains the ambassador of the classic Motown sound.
    i completely agree. Thanks

when you gotta buy something... and at that ridiculous price .... it's hardly an "honor". Does the price tag include monitoring to keep the homeless from parking their shopping cart over it?

The Hollywood Walk Of Fame placement is really a reach.
    She'd do better to collect money for a nice world cruise, I think I'd contribute to that for her!!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-29-2023 at 01:48 AM.

everything in Calif. is overpriced.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Not sure if she recorded in Hollywood but Martha did live in California for some time.

Berry received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1996.
    I believe that Martha did live in California. Years ago [uncertain what years] she used to publish the Martha Reeves Exclusive Newsletter. The membership fee was $20.00 for 12 issues. I have the paper invitation announcing it. All money orders were payable to Martha. The address was POB #1987, Paramount, CA 90723.

I was never able to obtain any; however, Paramount was a location that the forest fires of the past months/years annihilated. I recall the entire place being destroyed so I am glad she was not there at that time.

Does anyone have any of these newsletters in their collection? I do not know the exact number that were published.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I believe that Martha did live in California. Years ago [uncertain what years] she used to publish the Martha Reeves Exclusive Newsletter. The membership fee was $20.00 for 12 issues. I have the paper invitation announcing it. All money orders were payable to Martha. The address was POB #1987, Paramount, CA 90723.

I was never able to obtain any; however, Paramount was a location that the forest fires of the past months/years annihilated. I recall the entire place being destroyed so I am glad she was not there at that time.

Does anyone have any of these newsletters in their collection? I do not know the exact number that were published.
    Paramount California is near Long Beach an Compton California respectively and not involved in any forrest fires. The city is still standing strong.

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    Paramount California is near Long Beach an Compton California respectively and not involved in any forrest fires. The city is still standing strong.
    Woodward may have been thinking of Paradise, California, which I believe was one of the towns near Santa Cruz, which was devastated by a fire several years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    This is the message copied from the first thread about this

This is from Stubass and it seems relevant to this discussion:

Hi Chris...

As the person who nominated and sponsored the successful campaign for the Funk Brothers Walk Of Fame recognition and advised on another... best of luck in your worthy efforts on behalf of Martha Reeves [[Vandellas too?)... Obviously, since 2013, the cost of the process has more than doubled according to your post. Ours cost $25,000 [[Andy Garcia told me that his Star in the 90's only cost $5,000)... It took me nearly the entire 5 years to come up with the funding and was "saved" at the last minute before having to consider using personal funds if I wanted the ceremony to continue... Assuming you have already gotten the acceptance of your nomination, one word of warning... The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, very nice folks, however, discourage public solicitation for funding, and in fact, I received 3 warnings, one relating to public solicitation of having the plug pulled by the Chamber on the entire event. We had to go more underground and through personal contacts, and thankfully, a few individuals came through, at the time unbeknownst to me, with the funding and we got it in just under the deadline... A lot of what we were doing was quite innocent, but apparently against the Chambers rules...Otherwise, Ana and Leron at the Chamber were great. One more warning...beware of those who would try to come along and hijack your efforts that happened to me, however, Ana knew what I had done and kicked the others to the curb... For some reason, there are those who want to be associated with the process... One person I did allow to organize with the after event celebration stiffed the musicians he hired and being a former musician myself, I felt bad and ended up paying them myself... This same guy also apparently stiffed the luxury bus he offered to provide to transport out of town guests to the after event... There was a time I would have gladly handed the project off to someone else, however, Ana convinced me that since I [[and a lady named Jeanne) had initiated the entire nomination, she urged me to stick with it and I did... A lot of work leading up to the actual ceremony and a lot of loose ends to tie up... The entire month before the ceremony, it was like I was working two fulltime jobs 24/7, but in the end, I'm sure you'll find your efforts satisfying and well worth it... Best of luck...
    Hey Rob...

Been keeping an eye on this and wish the best for a successful conclusion... I too would have liked to have seen the nomination in the name of Martha and The Vandellas since the Star category is under "recording", and yes, the major hits were Martha and The Vandellas, although Martha has been a presence and impact player, particularly on the Detroit scene and she is terrific... One of the issues the Chamber has with these public fundraising efforts is in the event the fundraising goal falls short, guess who all the contributors go to to ask for refunds? Yes, they go to the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce who not only doesnt participate in any fundraising, but actually prohibits such public fundraising efforts for the reasons stated, and makes clear at the time of the initial nomination that its the sponsors responsibility to provide the funding, assuming any solicitation will be conducted on a personal contact basis and not a public fundraising effort... As the deadline grew near on our Funk Brothers nomination, I also considered the possibility that I may have to reach down and cover the remaining cost myself since I felt a certain responsibility for the nomination, and thankfully it didn't come to that, although I did incur some personal costs for expenses surrounding the event that ultimately reached into the thousands... Hopefully a few large donors will step forward, however, many dont want to be known as an easy mark whenever these situations occur... I wish the sponsors had reached out some time ago, however not much I could do with the clock ticking down... Its literally a years long effort, however, I remain hopeful that it will get done... Motown has had a great run in recent years and Martha Reeves played a significant part in the company's success...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 04-03-2023 at 01:57 AM.

I received my limited edition Martha and the Vandellas 60th anniversary print today and I must relay that I'm very happy with the quality of it. I'll admit that I was a bit worried that these were whipped out on a copy machine on the cheap as a money grab, but I was pleasantly surprised to see it's a nice quality lithographed print. The ink used is a chalky matte finish, like paint. If you're thinking about getting one and helping the cause, I would recommend one.
    Darin

Name:  Reeves 60th Poster.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  92.4 KB

Thanks for sharing your review of the print, Darin. I ended up buying one this morning as well. As much as I have my opinions on Martha's star and campaign, I would like to see her honoured with one. This print is nice and it was pricey with shipping to Canada and the exchange rate, but I figured this will be a one-time expense on a special memento. We don't seem to get much in the way of Vandellas memoribilia and collectibles, so I figured I would jump on it, before I regret later on having not bought it. I've always loved that photo of Martha, Lois and Sandra, that they have featured in this print, which was used for the picture sleeve and Billboard ad for "Bless You".
    Last edited by carlo; 04-15-2023 at 09:56 AM.

Glad to see that Martha has reached the $25K goal and will be getting her star next year, on March 28, 2024! She is continuing to fundraise for the remaining $25K of the original $50K goal, which will go towards covering the costs of accomodations and a reception in LA.

https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...g/70275337007/

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Glad to see that Martha has reached the $25K goal and will be getting her star next year, on March 28, 2024! She is continuing to fundraise for the remaining $25K of the original $50K goal, which will go towards covering the costs of accomodations and a reception in LA.

https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...g/70275337007/
    This is wonderful news and I'm very happy for Martha Reeves on getting her Star on The Hollywood Walk of Fame! Thanks Carlo for sharing.

Congratulations, Martha! We Love you!

first buy me a star, now pay for the party too?

what's wrong with a Taco truck and some DANCING IN THE STREETS !!!!!

Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-01-2023 at 05:36 PM.

Best news on the first day of June. Well done Dr Martha Reeves the TRUE First Lady of Motown Records.