[REMOVE ADS]

Accomplished Arrangers and Celebrated Conductors at Motown

The recent post on Coleridge-Taylor Perkins as a songwriter and arranger for Motown got me to thinkin…

There were the long-term stalwart Motown arrangers such as Paul Riser, David Van DePitte, Hal Davis, Jerry Long, Gil Askey, Wade Marcus, Willie Shorter…

What arrangers and conductors - who were already well established and respected in their own right - contributed to recordings released on Motown with Motown artists on one-off or special projects?

Phil Spector wrote, produced and arranged ‘Things Are Getting Better’ by The Supremes [[1965).

Jimmy Webb was signed to Motown in the mid-60s penning original songs recorded by The Supremes, Billy Eckstine, Dorsey Burnette, Brenda Holloway [[1964-1965). He later returned to Motown with ‘The Supremes Produced And Arranged By Jimmy Webb’ album [[1972) with vocal accompaniment by The Blackberries, later saying he wished he’s just used The Supremes voices. Must have been an interesting reuniting of Jimmy and Mary Wilson 7 years on from ‘My Christmas Tree’.

Michael Legrand wote, arranged and conducted for Diana Ross ‘Lady Sings The Blues’ [[1972).

Van McCoy wrote, produced and arranged the David Ruffin ‘Who I Am’ album [[1975).

Burt Bacharach and Hal David wrote, produced and [[Burt) arranged the Stephanie Mills ‘For The First Time’ album [[1975).

William Goldstein was brought to Motown by Berry Gordy and he wrote, produced and arranged songs which featured artists such as Thelma Houston, Smokey Robinson and Syreeta, and under the moniker ‘The Magic Disco Machine’.

Coleridge-Taylor Perkins arranged [[uncredited) rhythm and orchestra for various Marvin Gaye, Leon Ware and Diana Ross songs from 1975-1976 including ‘I Want You’, ‘I Wanna Be Where You Are’’, ‘After The Dance’, ‘Journey Into You’.

Quincy Jones wrote, produced and arranged ‘The Wiz’ soundtrack. I don’t care what anyone says - I freakin LOVE that film of Black excellence!

Seems there was a flurry of established arrangers around the same time Motown moved to LA and began their film productions. What’s your thoughts on the above collaborations?

Any other unique, special and rare arranger collaborations with Motown from 1959 to 1984 have I missed? Even The Bee Gees and John Carpenter of The Carpenters are credited on Motown releases.

I’d be keen to especially hear stories about early Detroit arrangers and Motown, such as Maurice King and the local Jazz scene who recorded for Motown and the Worksop Jazz label.

As an instrumental figure, Miss Ranoma Singleton [[nee Liles, Gordy) produced early 60s Motown recordings and Apollo’s 1979 self-titled album. There were late 60s to 70s writer/producers Gloria Jones, Pam Sawyer, Marylin McLeod, Shirlie Matthews. Were they credited arrangers?

I’d also be super keen to find out more about female arrangers at Motown such as Melba Linton.. Anyone know what songs she arranged on? There’s an interview with Melba here:

https://www.arts.gov/honors/jazz/melba-liston

In the late 60s, Marvin Gaye hired Bobby Scott to do arrangements on standards. But Marvin wasn't satisfied with his vocals, saying something like he had more living to do. He redid his vocals in the late 70s and they were released on the VULNERABLE cd.

I believe Raynoma Gordy's nephew Dale Warren did arrangements for both Motown and Stax.
    Last edited by reese; 04-07-2023 at 03:37 PM.

Paul Riser, David Van De Piitte, Harvey Fuqua
    , Mckinley Jackson, Wade Marcus, Gil Askey, Ivy Jo Hunter. Motown wouldn't be Motown without these clever educated, ultra talented guys who really did create the magic.
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 04-07-2023 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    In the late 60s, Marvin Gaye hired Bobby Scott to do arrangements on standards. But Marvin wasn't satisfied with his vocals, saying something like he had more living to do. He redid his vocals in the late 70s and they were released on the VULNERABLE cd.

I believe Raynoma Gordy's nephew Dale Warren did arrangements for both Motown and Stax.
    Ahhh yes of course the revisiting of the Bobby Scott sessions. Good shout!

I'll check out Dale Warren, thanks for the heads up.

I wonder if Gus Dudgeon musically arranged the Mary Wilson recordings as well as producing them.

Which reminded me Art Wright arranged on that album, who also arranged for The Jackson 5 from 1972 to 1974 and on Michael Jackson solo work, The Supremes in 1975 and Thelma Houston, Jerry Butler in 1976, and The Dynamic Superiors in 1977. He even wrote 'The Beachcomber' released by Stevie Wonder in 1964.

Which intern reminded me of H. B. Barnum who was the arranger on The Temptations In A Mellow Mood album, and on songs for The Jackson 5 and Different Shades of Brown in 1972 for Motown.

Celebrated arrangers Don Costa and Oliver Nelson were also arrangers on In A Mellow Mood.

Which got me thinking.. H. B. Barnum was an arranger on The Supremes Christmas album [[1965) - which featured work by Jimmy Webb - along with Gene Page and Ernie Freeman as arrangers.

Motown is the YouTube of record labels!

Either way there's an incredible line up of high quality musicality and I'm inspired to listen and hear the differences in arrangements and distinctive signature styles.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Paul Riser, David Van De Piitte, Harvey Fuqua
    , Mckinley Jackson, Wade Marcus, Gil Askey, Ivy Jo Hunter. Motown wouldn't be Motown without these clever educated, ultra talented guys who really did create the magic.
    Gazillion percent agree Mike. It was a once in a lifetime manifestation of the most creative of musical minds in sync, in step and in soul