[REMOVE ADS]

St. Paul/Minneapolis Twin Cities Soul Radio KUXL - Two Motown Classics

Unfortunately, we only get to hear snippets, but it's so nice that this radio aircheck from Minnesota station KUXL opens with the last few seconds of the Marvelettes' 'The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game' and ends with the first few seconds of Kiki Dee's 'Love Makes The World Go 'Round'. Nice surprise to hear both, but Kiki's was a real surprise.

A KUXL chart from 67 ... don't know how the Bobbie Gentry & Donovan tracks got on there.
    Attachment 20568

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    A KUXL chart from 67 ... don't know how the Bobbie Gentry & Donovan tracks got on there.
    Attachment 20568
    Wow! This is great! I don't know how old you are but in looking at a lot of these old radio surveys, I've been noticing that "black radio" had broader horizons musically than I would have expected. I was a year old in '67, so these surveys have been eye-opening for me. I've seen Bobbie Gentry on quite a few black radio station surveys. I love her but I never would have expected that she would have made a black station's playlist. However, a couple weeks ago, I saw a documentary on Chicago radio station WVON and one of the deejays commented that they didn't like to use the term "black radio" because, as they said, you don't hear anyone saying "white radio", which makes sense. I think black listeners may have had broader tastes in music back then. I do like that Donovan tune as well and the Young Rascals seemed to have been popular with black listeners as well.
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 03-24-2023 at 05:36 PM.

Till the late 60's, 'black radio stns' would play a lot more local product. It didn't seem to matter whether the 45 was on a major label or a little indie, if it was good it got played. Many national record labels [[Bell, Atlantic, Chess, etc) would pick up releases from small local labels for US wide distribution, re-releasing them on their own labels.
    Lots of UK soul collectors chase copies of the 1st local release of certain 45's, rather than the big label 2nd released version
    National US music mags would feature columns that detailed what 45s were 'local breakouts' & help focus major labels interest in the indie releases that they should try to license for national release.
    Attachment 20572

Good to see the Rascals’ A Girl Like You in there. A long time favourite and I’ve had a copy forever.