[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Diana Ross thanks Mary, Flo and Cindy today

in a wonderful post with a pic of the Grammy Award and music accompanying it: "Forever Came Today"

VERY nice to see Ms. Ross acknowledge the others who helped make The Supremes the greatest girl group of all time.
    Darin

I was glad to see her make this post. I wouldn't be surprised if the song choice in her post reflects her feelings about the honour itself [ie. long overdue].

I’m guessing she was prompted to post this as why else would she have waited so long. It certainly comes across as an afterthought.
    A representative at the actual event would have been a whole lot nicer but hey ho.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I’m guessing she was prompted to post this as why else would she have waited so long. It certainly comes across as an afterthought.
    A representative at the actual event would have been a whole lot nicer but hey ho.
    It could also be that she literally just received the award since she didn't attend the ceremony.

agreed I think she just received it and I am glad she acknowledge Cindy Birdsong as well. No one makes Diana do something so I am sure she felt it from her heart to do so. Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    It could also be that she literally just received the award since she didn't attend the ceremony.
    That was my thought as well, Reese...as the award seems to be surrounded by black protective foam in the photo, which led me to believe she may have just received the award very recently and was snapping a photo upon opening the box.

Makes me wonder if she just simply was sick, got her award now and said thank you to everyone

Are hardcore fans reading way too much into very little? Or is that a stupid question?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Are hardcore fans reading way too much into very little? Or is that a stupid question?
    What, on THIS forum, lol?!!

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    That’s certainly another possibility reece though for me it still rings a little hollow. Just my opinion.

Better late than never I suppose. At least she also included Cindy Birdsong in her thank you message.

Something else I’ve noticed is the Facebook comments for this post are in the hundreds and I did not see one negative one - a lot of comments about how we love you all, took way too long, thank you for letting Mary and Flo’s daughters have their moment to sign.

It kind of makes this forum sound like negative nellies.

That being said the positivity of this Forum has elevated into the stratosphere in the last couple years

Something else I’ve noticed is the Facebook comments for this post are in the hundreds and I did not see one negative one - a lot of comments about how we love you all, took way too long, thank you for letting Mary and Flo’s daughters have their moment to sign.

It kind of makes this forum sound like negative nellies.

That being said the positivity of this Forum has elevated into the stratosphere in the last couple years
    If you scroll down to the Grammy post on the official Supremes Facebook page from a month ago, you'll see somewhat of a different story with the fan comments, versus the ones on Ms Ross' page.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    If you scroll down to the Grammy post on the official Supremes Facebook page from a month ago, you'll see somewhat of a different story with the fan comments, versus the ones on Ms Ross' page.
    Ah, that’s makes some sense.

I’ve often wondered if the acrimony isn’t part of the reason that recognition of the Supremes is delayed or missing.

On the other hand, the Beach Boys and Rolling Stones can also seem overlooked.

The legacy of The Supremes in popular music remains in the continued airplay of their great songs.

You beat me to it Carlo, We all have our own individual thoughts and opinions regarding the Grammy awards and Diana’s total lack of involvement. I don't t see why thinking she might have dealt with the situation a little better should be seen as being negative.
    I guess to some Diana has to be seen as perfect in all things, being fine as long other opinions are respected.

The Supremes were quite long overdue for this Grammy Award. It was a nice post, I did like that Cindy Birdsong was acknowledged. I have my personal opinions on things but still it was a nice enough post.

Some folks may still feel a certain type of way that she didn't show up with the other Lifetime Achievement Award recipients. We just don't know what transpired. She was quiet about it for a month or so and only acknowledges it now, with ironic timing [[her birthday was coming in a few days). So I get Ollie's original point.

What? No Barbara?

For me, it's a little too LATE smh.

"Rhonda , what's this box with a Grammy trophy in it ? I thought you said my album lost?"

"It did Mom. But that's the one for being a Supreme".

" Oh sh*t. How many times do I have to tell you all, I was never a Supreme. I was Diana Ross AND The Supremes!!!!"

I was glad to see her make this post. I wouldn't be surprised if the song choice in her post reflects her feelings about the honour itself [ie. long overdue].
    I hope she releases a Christmas Album and is nominated again. Maybe, this time, the Grammy Voters will give Diana Ross her first competitive Grammy Award.

The Supremes should have received a competitive Grammy Award many, many, and many more years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    "Rhonda , what's this box with a Grammy trophy in it ? I thought you said my album lost?"

"It did Mom. But that's the one for being a Supreme".

" Oh sh*t. How many times do I have to tell you all, I was never a Supreme. I was Diana Ross AND The Supremes!!!!"
    More then a little true methinks.

Very glad to see this.

More then a little true methinks.
    I think that's always been her truth , but now in this stage of her thinking, she's hardwired it.

And leave it to Ross in her shout out to her girls getting their recognition, to choose as a song in tribute, one that includes none of them!!. But does that even matter, has it ever mattered.... that's probably her truth too ....

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I think that's always been her truth , but now in this stage of her thinking, she's hardwired it.

And leave it to Ross in her shout out to her girls getting their recognition, to choose as a song in tribute, one that includes none of them!!. But does that even matter, has it ever mattered.... that's probably her truth too ....
    I do find it rather ironic that when formally acknowledging an award aimed at three group members, Diana chooses a song where she is the only one featured. A rather perverse tribute i feel. Attitudes appear little changed with the passing of the years.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 03-29-2023 at 05:40 PM.

No I don't ...shoot half the time was in the studio by herself recording herself. She may have never known the backgrounds after the early sixties. "Reflections of What Life Use to Be." I truly get it.

I do find it rather ironic that when formally acknowledging an award aimed at three group members, Diana chooses a song where she is the only one featured. A rather perverse tribute i feel. Attitudes appear little changed with the passing of the years.
    Not ironic at all. Perhaps it was a subliminal message to the academy that it seemed to be taking forever for them to recognize the achievements of the Supremes.

After sixty years, at last, FOREVER CAME TODAY

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Not ironic at all. Perhaps it was a subliminal message to the academy that it seemed to be taking forever for them to recognize the achievements of the Supremes.

I agree Milven. Perfect choice IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post

A possibility, though not particularly justified milven. Diana had previously never shown the slightest personal interest in anything Supremes related. That would include any awards honouring the group, right down to expanded editions of their albums. A very different scenario to anything honouring her solo career where she has never not attended.
    She performs Supremes songs as she knows that what the public expect from her.
    This award was in recognition of three women. I doubt Mary and Flo would have been very much amused by Diana choosing a song neither women were featured on to represent a thank you message to the academy. A subtle reminder perhaps as to their perceived significance. Hmmm.

I too doubt that Diana was trying to have a dig at Mary & Flo, or that she even remembers if they were on that particular song 55 years - and several hundred recordings - after it was recorded. It was more about a message in the title, just like Someday We'll Be Together was chosen for Motown 25.

Lol I would think Diana knows Mary and Flo's voices well enough to know if they're on a recording or not. She probably knows their singing voices better than any of us.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Lol I would think Diana knows Mary and Flo's voices well enough to know if they're on a recording or not. She probably knows their singing voices better than any of us.
    I should think that very likely floy. Once again it was a thoughtless gesture from Diana, and a finger up to the daughters of Mary and Flo who could be bothered to ensure their respective mothers were represented by a family member.

I'm not usually this critical, but this is so lame of Diana Ross. After widespread criticism of not being there or at least sending someone in her place [[as she usually does), to post this as an after-thought is in my opinion offensive to the family of Flo and Mary and especially the fans. Once again, we are to believe the Supremes never existed.

It would have been less offensive if she simply had kept quiet.

Do I think Diana chose a song intentionally omitting her fellow supremes ? No
    do I think she could care less if she did ?? Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I'm not usually this critical, but this is so lame of Diana Ross. After widespread criticism of not being there or at least sending someone in her place [[as she usually does), to post this as an after-thought is in my opinion offensive to the family of Flo and Mary and especially the fans. Once again, we are to believe the Supremes never existed.

You didn’t get choked up reading that deeply felt acknowledgement someone on her team whipped out ??

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post

The cynical part of me thinks she and her team posted it because the upcoming tour is emphasizing that it's a hits tour so they posted it to help lay the groundwork to promote the tour. If that's the strategy then she should have shown up to accept the grammy honor as it would have garnered more attention for the hits tour.

Way way way too much parsing of a basic act

I can’t help but see what this would have been like if she herself had shown up; she and a couple of “also rans” that no one would have known, hurt feelings, and more parsing.

Someone way early said damned if you do, damned if you don’t - but also don’t overthink and parse so thoroughly

I made my thoughts and feelings on Diana's attitude toward the Supremes pretty clear in a couple threads when this mess first went down, so I won't rehash it here. However, I will say I doubt choosing "Forever Came Today" was anything other than Diana's way of saying exactly what the title of the song says. Whether she genuinely gave a crap about the award or not, I can imagine her saying to herself "Which Supremes song might best describe this moment" and going with "Forever Came Today".

She was never going to choose a song she herself didn't sing on, so she wouldn't have reached into the 70s Supremes for a choice. [[Not that she's familiar with any of their songs anyway. The story goes that someone once mentioned "Up the Ladder To the Roof" and Diana started climbing a ladder to the roof, thinking she had been given some kind of command.)

She nearly chose a song from her solo career but someone screamed "Miss Ross!" or "Diana!" or "Diane!" or "Aunt Diane!" or "Grandma Di!" or "Mommy!"..."Are you crazy! You can't choose one of your solo career songs for a Supremes tribute!"

So what does that leave her? Okay, she could have been petty and gave the academy the finger with "Send Me No Flowers". Or maybe she could have gone with "You Can't Hurry Love" as if to say you can't hurry the honor that the group has recently received, but that title isn't really an "in your face" sentiment regarding the award. So why not "Forever Came Today", which says it all? Sure, there's no Mary. No Cindy either, but she wasn't awarded even though Diana shouted her out here. Also no Flo. But it was released under some form of the Supremes name. Any royalties incurred, Mary cashed the check and she sang the song on television. Andantes or not, Mary would probably gladly take the credit.

The fact that Diana posted "Forever Came Today" for anything is alright in my book. It's a bit of acknowledgement of a great song in her catalog. It beats "I Will Survive" which Diana never seems to tire of.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I made my thoughts and feelings on Diana's attitude toward the Supremes pretty clear in a couple threads when this mess first went down, so I won't rehash it here. However, I will say I doubt choosing "Forever Came Today" was anything other than Diana's way of saying exactly what the title of the song says. Whether she genuinely gave a crap about the award or not, I can imagine her saying to herself "Which Supremes song might best describe this moment" and going with "Forever Came Today".

She was never going to choose a song she herself didn't sing on, so she wouldn't have reached into the 70s Supremes for a choice. [[Not that she's familiar with any of their songs anyway. The story goes that someone once mentioned "Up the Ladder To the Roof" and Diana started climbing a ladder to the roof, thinking she had been given some kind of command.)

She nearly chose a song from her solo career but someone screamed "Miss Ross!" or "Diana!" or "Diane!" or "Aunt Diane!" or "Grandma Di!" or "Mommy!"..."Are you crazy! You can't choose one of your solo career songs for a Supremes tribute!"

So what does that leave her? Okay, she could have been petty and gave the academy the finger with "Send Me No Flowers". Or maybe she could have gone with "You Can't Hurry Love" as if to say you can't hurry the honor that the group has recently received, but that title isn't really an "in your face" sentiment regarding the award. So why not "Forever Came Today", which says it all? Sure, there's no Mary. No Cindy either, but she wasn't awarded even though Diana shouted her out here. Also no Flo. But it was released under some form of the Supremes name. Any royalties incurred, Mary cashed the check and she sang the song on television. Andantes or not, Mary would probably gladly take the credit.

The fact that Diana posted "Forever Came Today" for anything is alright in my book. It's a bit of acknowledgement of a great song in her catalog. It beats "I Will Survive" which Diana never seems to tire of.
    RanRan perfectly said! I agree with everything you said.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    It's a bit of acknowledgement of a great song in her catalog. It beats "I Will Survive" which Diana never seems to tire of.
    Totally agree, RanRan. I wouldn't doubt if this choice was Diana's way of saying "Just sayin!.." to the Grammy board.

And it really is a great song [albeit a minor hit] in her and the Supremes catalog.

I bet she had one of her children or grandchildren or an employee pick a Supremes song to go along with the social media post. Forever Came Today is a fitting choice given the occasion and a nice change from choosing an iconic Supremes hit like Stop or Baby Love which would have been lazy choices. I'm sure whoever picked it had no idea who was singing on the recording besides Diana Ross and probably unaware of the Andantes controversy.

If Diana had shown up at the ceremony to accept the award with Mary and Flo's daughters there wouldn't have been controversy. The daughters aren't in the entertainment business. Only way Diana Ross could have gotten bad commentary if she had been rude to them or pushed them or put her hands over their faces or talk dirt about their mothers [[or not mentioning them at all and just going on about herself and her children) while making her acceptance speech.

there are so many memories of both her time in the Sups and as a soloist that she has 0 recollection of [[according to those that have been close to her and shared this). Blue has repeatedly said that she had limited memory of albums and projects. probably some of this is because it occurred decades ago. I've been in my line of work for 30 years and hell, if i had to try and recall minute details of projects [[even projects i really really enjoyed) i'd struggle. this was her work, not her hyper-insane passion like it is for me! lolol

I think it's VERY safe to say that she has NOT constructed an excel file of her itinerary through the years, nor has she spent days upon days sorting through pdf versions of Billboard tracing the entire chart history of all sups releases [[both with and without diana and for all singles and lps) plus diana's solo materials through 81. nor has she spent time researching competing motown act data to get a better understanding of what might have been going on [[like how many J5 and Stevie releases were unfortunately timed at the same time as many 70s sups releases).

I know that I have never bothered to research my own career to this level of insane detail. so why should she? it's her CAREER not her hobby

so would she necessarily know that FMC are not on Forever? or which songs used the Andantes? in the lined notes to one of the booklets, even Frank Wilson didn't realize M and C weren't on LC. he says "i thought we had the As and the girls on there but if we didn't its because we were on a bullet train."

clearly whomever picked the phrase "Forever Came Today" was doing so because of the wistful nature of the words and how they ring true to the situation of the group being so delayed in such a recognition. sure something like I Hear A Symphony might have worked - although supposedly Louvain [[i think) joined M and F on that recording so would that have still been appropriate?

Now there’s Andantes on I Hear A Symphony? That’s new at least to me

Now there’s Andantes on I Hear A Symphony? That’s new at least to me
    There's quite a few songs where an Andante are singing WITH Mary and Florence. Run, Run, Run and Lovelight. And I have a feeling it's the same case with Stop! I don't think all the Andantes are on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    There's quite a few songs where an Andante are singing WITH Mary and Florence. Run, Run, Run and Lovelight. And I have a feeling it's the same case with Stop! I don't think all the Andantes are on that one.
    Well I’d heard of Stop and Run Run Run; maybe I’d heard of or thought Lovelight made sense; but never Symphony. Would be worth taking a listen in a quiet room.

I think that l started to like the Supremes when I heard those three voices, especially Diana singing against Florence

Bottom line being that in not sending a representative she was perceived by many fans as being disrespectful and not caring. Had Mary been alive she would most certainly have been used as a scapegoat for Diana’s non attendance. As it was other excuses had to be found.
    Given the nature of the award, i still think posting “Forever Came Today” a mistake, though agree i doubt there was much input by Diana herself.
    As regards insult being shown by this overdue acknowledgment. I think it extremely doubtful Diana would have shown much interest had it been ten, twenty, thirty years ago.
    It is what it is and i remain a fan

Well I’d heard of Stop and Run Run Run; maybe I’d heard of or thought Lovelight made sense; but never Symphony. Would be worth taking a listen in a quiet room.

I think that l started to like the Supremes when I heard those three voices, especially Diana singing against Florence
    I'm with ya on that. I think thats why Come See About Me is my favorite. You have Flo's booming backup interplaying with Diana's pleading lead.

Bottom line being that in not sending a representative she was perceived by many fans as being disrespectful and not caring. Had Mary been alive she would most certainly have been used as a scapegoat for Diana’s non attendance. As it was other excuses had to be found.
    Given the nature of the award, i still think posting “Forever Came Today” a mistake, though agree i doubt there was much input by Diana herself.
    As regards insult being shown by this overdue acknowledgment. I think it extremely doubtful Diana would have shown much interest had it been ten, twenty, thirty years ago.
    It is what it is and i remain a fan
    If Mary was still alive and Diana had not shown there would have been less blowback on Diana. Some would rationalize that Diana was ceding the Supremes spotlight to Mary or that it would be understandable that given their history Diana would be reluctant to appear with Mary in such a setting.

But Mary is no longer alive so the daughters were there to accept for their mothers Mary and Flo. Diana not showing up, or even sending one of her own children, or even acknowledging the honor in the weeks leading up to this on her social media gives the appearance that she has a problem with the Supremes, or even with Mary now dead Diana still has a beef with Mary and the Supremes that she can't let go of, even with Mary and Flo now in their graves. And to make it worse her most recent album Thank You pushed the themes of love and gratitude so in light of that it makes her come across as two faced. Well at least she finally acknowledged it and Forever Came Today, from a song perspective, was a nice choice to go with the acknowledgement video she made once the award arrived in the mail.