[REMOVE ADS]

Around the World In 80 Days

I had a shuffle of music going yesterday while I was working on something and the girls' "Around the World In 80 Days" came on. I've loved it since it's release but I don't recall the forum mentioning it much. To me this is one of the highlights of the group, ever. They sang the hell out of this.

i agree! i think they sound great and i think they sound happy! almost like you can see them in the studio working, laughing, etc. They're riding high on their first run of #1s, Berry has explained that they want to start doing some specialty concept albums and they're excited about doing the older girl group songs

i think the Tribute To The Girls package would have been a great one.

So do I Sup. The group as a whole was never as technically polished as the Andantes, but I always thought that worked in their favor, that the personalities of each lady made them identifiable and created a Supremes sound. When they sing together like this, it always makes me annoyed that once the group got rolling, there wasn't an emphasis on Diana singing backup with Flo and Mary. The three packed quite a punch when harmonizing together.

I'm sure I heard this when I bought the THERE'S A PLACE FOR US cd. But thanks for reintroducing it to me. The girls are doing some serious singing here.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: DMF had an unbeatable vocal blend. Its as if they were meant to sing together.

DMF had a great vocal blend that still allowed each individual singer to come through. M and C had probably a, technically, more perfect blend in that their two voices really melded into one. you almost couldn't distinguish between the two.

but when the girls first hit it big, the whole group was being emphasized. and much of that is because they had not only a highly engaging lead singer but the other two members were very identifiable and unique. all three were great singers and all three really came alive and that's one thing that really set them apart. most other groups typically had many/most of the members sort of melt away into the background. anonymous. there was never anything anonymous about D, F or M. and on songs like this, you can clearly hear it.

also songs like Breathtaking, Kiss of Fire, I'm giving you your freedom, whisper you love me, bring on home

Exactly!!! The harmonies of The Supremes are a joy on this song.

"Whisper You Love Me" is a definite charm song.

Loved this song ,the harmony and I would have released There's A place in place of Liverpool, or Country.
    Great collection

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Loved this song ,the harmony and I would have released There's A place in place of Liverpool, or Country.
    Great collection
    yeah i think they could have still issued a standards/MOR album. apparently they decided that the live Copa album took priority and many of the songs were also on there. maybe what they should have done was redo the There's album and swap out some of the originally planned tunes and redo the lineup with some of the Tribute to the Girls and other canned tracks. that would have helped avoid overlap with Copa.

"There's a Place for Us" showcases all the sunny vocals of The Supremes and their great harmonies. The Andantes also add their lovely vocals to the mix.