[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Run Run Run

Run Run Run

I'm almost positive I created this thread once before, but I could be wrong, since I often think of starting threads and then abandon the idea, for whatever reason. Anyway, since I've seen more than my fair share of threads repeated in this forum, what the hell difference will one more make?

So, the discourse regarding "Run, Run, Run" I had with Bayou in another thread forced me to give the song a listen. I've always liked it, but it's not one I often make it a point to specifically play, so since Bayou had brought it up I gave it a good listen. Now the reason I was listening was for determining who is or isn't in the background [[I concluded the Supremes are doing the oohs and HDH is doing everything else, while Bayou thinks all the background is HDH with Diana on the oohs), but I am more convinced now than ever that "Run" should have been released soon after completion.

We talk about the missteps of single releases around DRATS [[nearly every other single after "In and Out"), Diana [[the EIE and Surrender and BIM single debacles) and the 70s Supremes [["Right to Love", "Touch", "Guess", "Gotta Have Love"), but 1963 was a weird one for the group too.

It was such an odd idea to release "My Heart Can't Take It No More" as a single. On what planet did it have a chance in Heaven of becoming a hit? "A Breath Taking Guy" was recorded the same month as "My Heart" and instead of sending it out then, Motown holds it back until the summer. By then the sound of "Breath" was already dated Motown. The Motown Sound as we've come to know it was rushing in and "Breath", as good a song as it was, got left in the dust. "Lovelight" gets cut and rushed out. Makes sense. The song makes quite a bit of noise and then the follow up is "Run", which, like "Breath", was of a dated sound. Makes no sense.

I think "A Breath Taking Guy" should have been released as soon as it was ready. In that early part of 1963 I think it had a better chance at maybe top 40 airplay. "My Heart" should have been shelved. There just wasn't a point. "Run" was cut in May. With that "wall of sound" knock off, I think it would have fit right in with the times and could have given the girls their first "big" hit. I just don't understand why it was shelved for nearly a year.

Thoughts?

I like Run but really only because I love the WDOLG album and grew up listening to, end to end. the song is SO heavy. that banging piano track just makes it too nervous, which i realize sort of plays into the theme of the lyrics. but ugh. Lovelight is so joyful and exciting. those crazy exciting horns in the intro just explode from your speakers. and then the follow up has this muddy piano line.

I think Randy mentioned that the success of Lovelight just caught everyone off guard and they didn't have any follow ups ready. i think Penny Pincher would have been better. it would have gone Top 40, not top 20. Your Kiss of Fire MIGHT have been an ok follow up. either would have at least charted higher than Run

I have always strongly disliked “Run,Run,Run” and consider it a total misfire.
    The catchy and memorable ”Ask Any Girl” contained all the right ingredients for a substantial hit sounding classic Motown. It’s a total mystery as to why it was overlooked.

But do you all think "Run" should have been released when it was cut, back in May of 1963 and why do you think it was shelved while others like "I Want a Guy" and "My Heart Can't Take It No More" was greenlit by QC? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    But do you all think "Run" should have been released when it was cut, back in May of 1963 and why do you think it was shelved while others like "I Want a Guy" and "My Heart Can't Take It No More" was greenlit by QC? Lol
    It should have remained in the darkest recess of the Motown vaults, waiting to be included on a “Lost and Found” where it could do the least harm.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    "Run, Run, Run" is a nice enough song but I don't think of it as a single.

Even though I don't like "My Heart Can't Take It No More," I can understand why Motown released it. Solomon Burke had had a big hit in 1961 with the country song "Just Out of Reach". In 1962, there had been Ray Charles' great success with his country albums. Near of the end of 1962, Esther Phillips had a huge hit with her version of the country song "Release Me". Motown was just trying to cash in and get the girls a hit.

i think after Your Heart, they should have released Time Changes Things. Let Me Go the Right Way is a good song but the lyrics are a bit more all over the place. TCT is a much more straightforward song and the girls sound great.

so my release schedule would be

May 62 - your heart belongs to me
    Nov 62 - time changes things
    Feb 63 - You Bring Back Memories [[and not My Heart Can't Take It No More)
    June or July 63 - Breathtaking or Your kiss of fire
    Oct 63 - Lovelight
    Feb 64 - Penny Pincher or Long Gone Lover

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I have always strongly disliked “Run,Run,Run” and consider it a total misfire.
    The catchy and memorable ”Ask Any Girl” contained all the right ingredients for a substantial hit sounding classic Motown. It’s a total mystery as to why it was overlooked.
    Ask any girl is a great song but unfortunately like other great gems like There's No Stopping and Going Down Third Time, it got lost in the shuffle and beaten out by even better songs.

AAG was recorded 2 days after WDOLG. and once that was a smash, we got BL, CSAM. and both are superior to AAG.

it's just another instance of so many excellent songs and so little time