[REMOVE ADS]

Diana, Supremes Greatest Hits 3; Smokey, Miracles Greatest Hits 2

This was always confusing to me. In 1965 Motown released a 2-disk greatest hits package on the Miracles. Two years later they did the same for the Supremes.

Oddly, the followup Smokey Robinson & The Miracles package was label Vol. 2 in 1968. However, the follow up hits package on the Supremes in 1970 was labeled Vol. 3. Seems the Miracles 1968 set was also Vol. 3. What was up with this?

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    This was always confusing to me. In 1965 Motown released a 2-disk greatest hits package on the Miracles. Two years later they did the same for the Supremes.

Oddly, the followup Smokey Robinson & The Miracles package was label Vol. 2 in 1968. However, the follow up hits package on the Supremes in 1970 was labeled Vol. 3. Seems the Miracles 1968 set was also Vol. 3. What was up with this?
    Unknown! This never made any sense to me either. I'm guessing that Motown was trying to make more of an occasion of the second Supremes Greatest Hits set by labeling it Vol. 3 [and repeating two tracks, 'Love Is Here And Now You're Gone' & 'The Happening' that already showed up on the first Greatest Hits collection].

Just did a little research and I found out that The Supremes Greatest Hits had been released on cassette & 8 track as Vols. 1 & 2 and were starting to be sold separately at the time the second Greatest Hits collection had come out in Dec. 1969. So the Vol. 3 was added to the title in order to avoid confusion at retail.

According to Discogs, The Miracles Greatest Hits From The Beginning was released on 4 track tape cartridges in 1965 without the Vol. 1 or 2 treatment [or had two volumes of the collection released separately].
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 03-19-2023 at 11:33 AM. Reason: corrections

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Just did a little research and I found out that The Supremes Greatest Hits had been released on cassette & 8 track as Vols. 1 & 2 and were starting to be sold separately at the time the second Greatest Hits collection had come out in Dec. 1969. So the Vol. 3 was added to the title in order to avoid confusion at retail.

According to Discogs, The Miracles Greatest Hits From The Beginning was released on 4 track tape cartridges in 1965 without the Vol. 1 or 2 treatment [or had two volumes of the collection released separately].
    Great info, as I've always wondered why the Supremes' set was distinguished as being Vols. 1 and II even though [to me] it was really just a double album.

When it was first released on cd [in the 2 on 1 classic series], they tried to make it seem as if it was two separate albums, even changing the color on one of the album covers. Later, Vols. 1 and II were also released separately on cd as well.

Interesting! I also find it interesting that in the UK we had two volumes of Diana Ross Greatest Hits whereas the US only had one!

As has been said previously Volumes 1, 2 and 3 of Diana Ross & The Supremes "Greatest Hits" were issued on separate CDs in the 5000 series. In the MOTD run volumes 1 and 2 had blue covers whereas in the later 37463 series Volume 2 had a pink cover - you can see whatI mean here ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...jwvsUU-2jfDJcb

I recently bought The Supremes 2 CD "Gold" in a local charity shop for 50p and was delighted to find that it consists of the said "Greatest Hits" Volumes 1/2 and 3 plus the 70s Supremes "At Their Best". The sleeve covers are reproduced as well within the booklet. Sensibly, they didn't repeat the two duplicated tracks. You can see the artwork here ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...77720306150424
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 03-19-2023 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    As has been said previously Volumes 1, 2 and 3 of Diana Ross & The Supremes "Greatest Hits" were issued on separate CDs in the 5000 series. In the MOTD run volumes 1 and 2 had blue covers whereas in the later 37463 series Volume 2 had a pink cover - you can see whatI mean here ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...jwvsUU-2jfDJcb

I recently bought The Supremes 2 CD "Gold" in a local charity shop for 50p and was delighted to find that it consists of the said "Greatest Hits" Volumes 1/2 and 3 plus the 70s Supremes "At Their Best". The sleeve covers are reproduced as well within the booklet. Sensibly, they didn't repeat the two duplicated tracks. You can see the artwork here ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...77720306150424
    Now THIS is something I didn't realize. I skipped this CD because I figured it was just another re-hash of tracks placed together. I had not thought to pay attention to the track listing, but your description and photos of this set are a better advertisement for the set than anything else I've come across. I love that all that artwork is included- I'm off to Amazon to order my copy right now. [[I think whoever owns Motown these days owes you some commission on this sale!)

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    Now THIS is something I didn't realize. I skipped this CD because I figured it was just another re-hash of tracks placed together. I had not thought to pay attention to the track listing, but your description and photos of this set are a better advertisement for the set than anything else I've come across. I love that all that artwork is included- I'm off to Amazon to order my copy right now. [[I think whoever owns Motown these days owes you some commission on this sale!)
    Glad to be of service.

I don't see how the cassette or 8 track releases had an bearing on the titles. Back in the 60s the vinyl came out a month or more before the tapes did.

The Miracles was a 2 volume vinyl set as was the Supremes. So it is still a mystery why the vinyl Miracles was Vol. 2 and the vinyl Supremes was vol. 3

Somebody made the point that two of the hits on the Supremes set were carried over to vol. 3. I don't see why this had any influence on titling. Without the two hold-overs the company would have had to fill out vol. 3 with B-sides [[which they did on the first set) or include the duets with The Temptations which they simply did not do back in the day. Also the company likely felt that vol 3 only had three big hits and needed more to push the sales.

Last edited by milven; 03-20-2023 at 12:00 PM. Reason: because of daylight savings time

Last edited by milven; 03-20-2023 at 12:01 PM.

Don't forget that cassette and 8 track buyers were given extra tracks on each Supremes GH set to even out the playing times on some early pressings. Volume 1 added Put Yourself In My Place & Remove This Doubt. Volume 3 added The Beginning Of The End. They weren't added to the reel to reels surprisingly.

The duplication of two tracks on Volume 3 was a result of the last minute dropping of the Temptations duets. Because of odd royalty rules in effect at that time, had they stayed on the album the guys would've been given 50% of the albums profits by default.

Of course in the UK we had 2 volumes only -

S/TML11073
    A1 Stop! In The Name Of Love
    A2 Nothing But Heartaches
    A3 When The Lovelight Starts Shining Thru His Eyes
    A4 My World Is Empty Without You
    A5 Where Did Our Love Go
    A6 Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart
    A7 Come See About Me
    A8 I Hear A Symphony

B1 Reflections
    B2 Back In My Arms Again
    B3 You Keep Me Hanging On
    B4 Whisper You Love Me Boy
    B5 The Happening
    B6 Love Is Here And Now You’re Gone
    B7 You Can’t Hurry Love
    B8 Baby Love

STML11146
    A1 Someday We'll Be Together
    A2 I'm Gonna Make You Love Me [[+Temptations)
    A3 Love Child
    A4 I Second That Emotion [[+ Temptations)
    A5 Some Things You Never Get Used To
    A6 I'll Try Something New [[+ Temptations)
    A7 Honey Bee [[Keep On Stinging Me)

B1 Forever Came Today
    B2 The Weight [[+ Temptations)
    B3 In And Out Of Love
    B4 No Matter What Sign You Are
    B5 Why [[Must We Fall In Love) [[+ Temptations)
    B6 The Composer
    B7 I'm Livin' In Shame

I believe that the addition of the two extra tracks on Supremes Greatest Hits 8 track and cassette was to prevent having to cut two of the songs in half on the 8 track. You had ten tracks with 4 programs on the 8 track, an uneven amount, therefore two tracks would have to be cut in half between programs. By adding the two more tracks you could now put three songs per program and not have that inconvenience.

Since the cassettes were cut from the same master, they too had the two extra tracks. The reel tapes were cut from the original lp master, there were only two programs on the reel, Side A and Side B, so you didn't have to worry about this.