[REMOVE ADS]

"I Never Loved A Man Before" : Diana Ross

This song sounds fresh as evah! The guitarist is awesome and as sensual as Diana Ross' vocals.This song definitely deserved a Grammy Nomination for Best Female Jazz Vocal. What happened to the required air play for this song?

The album version when compared when to the slightly faster, more vibrant version featured on the cassette single “Gone” comes across a little dull....imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    The album version when compared when to the slightly faster, more vibrant version featured on the cassette single “Gone” comes across a little dull....imo.
    Ollie, do you have access to the uptempo version of the song? This is one that I have never been able to locate over the years?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    Ollie, do you have access to the uptempo version of the song? This is one that I have never been able to locate over the years?
    There are a couple of alternate versions in the vault, in fact there are a lot of outtakes from the TMH sessions.

TNSUN I couldn’t agree more. Played it to death myself when it came out but never heard it on American or UK radio. Just don’t understand why. You’re right, Diana’s vocal is sensual, intimate and utterly convincing. And yes, that Spanish guitar playing is truly beautiful, it suits the song perfectly and makes it very special. What a lost gem.

Here's a version by the singer Peggi Blu:

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    Sadly I don’t johnny. The cassette was lost many years ago what with house relocations etc. It was faster, with a more rousing chorus then the released version. It was also minus the Spanish guitar intro which admittedly is very pretty. I always thought it far more commercial sounding then the version that was released.
    ”I Thought That We Were Still In Love” had a longer, almost classical sounding intro which was rather beautiful.

Sadly I don’t johnny. The cassette was lost many years ago what with house relocations etc. It was faster, with a more rousing chorus then the released version. It was also minus the Spanish guitar intro which admittedly is very pretty. I always thought it far more commercial sounding then the version that was released.
    ”I Thought That We Were Still In Love” had a longer, almost classical sounding intro which was rather beautiful.
    Amazing productions and delivery- both songs are two standouts for sure. But her stand out performances don't always translate to chart action. As most of us surely know by now....

both Never Loved and Thought are incredible ballads. I agree with your assessment that the spanish guitar intro is lovely but might not have been commercial enough. Thought is a stunner of a tune. again, probably not commercial but a true gem.

would love to hear these alt arrangements

Some tunes become commercial upon repeated listening.Never Loved and Thought never got the record label "Push". Awesome songs.

An expanded CD collection "Take Me Higher" would be awesome! I wonder how many songs were recorded at this time for possible album inclusion.