[REMOVE ADS]

I’m Gonna Make You Love Me vocal interjections

I’ve loved the Supes and Tempts I’m Gonna Make Love Me since it was first released in the UK in January 1969. Wow, 54 years ago. So one of the Tempts interjects ‘sure won’t’ as Diana sings the lead, then someone a little later ‘baby I’m yours’. As there are no videos of the groups doing the song, and also it wasn’t featured in either of their TV shows which there are clips from online, I’m left wondering who they are. I’m guessing Eddie for the first interjection and Paul for the second. Any ideas? I also think the ‘and with each beat of my heart…’ monologue should have been done by Melvin, not Otis, his diction isn’t clear enough

Michael McDonald also recorded it for Motown in 2003

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Yes but this doesn’t answer the question

It won't as there are no other live performances on Youtube relating to the song other than the Temps in Europe in 1973. I have only heard Eddie as lead on this one on any live video's. Sorry!

Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 03-17-2023 at 06:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Jarvis View Post
    It won't as there are no other live performances on Youtube relating to the song other than the Temps in Europe in 1973. I have only heard Eddie as lead on this one on any live video's. Sorry!

Great vid I'd never seen before. Damon Harris on lead.
    Going back to my original question, there are contributors on here who can somehow pick out Flo or Mary or Wanda or Gladys or Jackie or Marlene or Louvain when buried in the background vocals, so though they might have a clue
    It's a gift of a song for anybody, great versions by Dee Dee Warwick and Madeline Bell too

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    I’ve loved the Supes and Tempts I’m Gonna Make Love Me since it was first released in the UK in January 1969. Wow, 54 years ago. So one of the Tempts interjects ‘sure won’t’ as Diana sings the lead, then someone a little later ‘baby I’m yours’. As there are no videos of the groups doing the song, and also it wasn’t featured in either of their TV shows which there are clips from online, I’m left wondering who they are. I’m guessing Eddie for the first interjection and Paul for the second. Any ideas? I also think the ‘and with each beat of my heart…’ monologue should have been done by Melvin, not Otis, his diction isn’t clear enough
    The exchanges are so brief that it is so hard to tell. I think it could very well be Otis doing all of the male speaking. I don't think it is Paul as the voice sounds smooth and Pau's voice was a bit husky.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    The exchanges are so brief that it is so hard to tell. I think it could very well be Otis doing all of the male speaking. I don't think it is Paul as the voice sounds smooth and Pau's voice was a bit husky.
    The first two are definitely different people's voices. I agree about Paul's voice

That is Eddie Kendricks doing the adlibs. I don't know if they were in the studio together when recording this track.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    That is Eddie Kendricks doing the adlibs. I don't know if they were in the studio together when recording this track.
    The 'baby I'm yours' bit is surely a different voice?

I've always heard it as "take me, I'm yours," whoever is saying it.

Based on listening to the isolated lead vocals, it is 100% Eddie saying “sure won’t” and “take me I’m yours” Also, Eddie and Diana are recorded on separate tracks on the original session tape.

Isolated vocals:

It sounds to me like Eddie is doing the ad libs on Diana's verse, and Otis is doing the dialog on the breakdown. Not only is it easy to recognize that that is the tone of Eddie's voice when he is speaking, but musically it makes the most sense that as the male lead vocalist he would be the one responding to Diana, the female lead. Secondly, Otis also has a very distinct tone to his voice, and anyone who has heard him speak, or sing by himself, can easily recognize that it is him doing the dialog. Not to mention that Otis is still speaking at the point where Eddie starts singing coming out of the breakdown.

If of any interest "Get Ready" Drums Acetate version, pretty straight forward to identify the singers though!

Nope that is him, he was the only one on the lead mike. His speaking voice often defied his singing voice.

All of this is accurate broth. At the time of the recordings it was difficult to get all the singers into the studio at the same time so many times vocals and backgrounds were recorded seperately. This was also true for the Supremes and 4 Tops duets.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Jarvis View Post
    If of any interest "Get Ready" Drums Acetate version, pretty straight forward to identify the singers though!

And more of any interest:

I actually thought it was the solo version of "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me", until I looked it up...Different song, but in the whole context, might worth sharing.

I still love Dee Dee Warwick's version best of IGMYLM. On Gte ready the way The Andantes are in the intervals to me is pure magic with the "baby get readies"....

Quote Originally Posted by brothadc View Post
    It sounds to me like Eddie is doing the ad libs on Diana's verse, and Otis is doing the dialog on the breakdown. Not only is it easy to recognize that that is the tone of Eddie's voice when he is speaking, but musically it makes the most sense that as the male lead vocalist he would be the one responding to Diana, the female lead. Secondly, Otis also has a very distinct tone to his voice, and anyone who has heard him speak, or sing by himself, can easily recognize that it is him doing the dialog. Not to mention that Otis is still speaking at the point where Eddie starts singing coming out of the breakdown.
    Yes it’s clearly Otis on the monologue, as I point out in my original post