[REMOVE ADS]

addition potential songs for the Sups - MSC

was looking through Thelma's album Any Way You Like It, which was the parent lp for Don't leave me this way. there's 1 song on the released version and 1 unreleased track that were also produced by Ivey Woodford. plus on her album The Devil in Me, there's another track.

Differently - a beautiful and interesting ballad
    you've been doing wrong for so long - can completely hear Scherrie doing this song. it has a similar tone to Give Out but a slightly slower speed and groove.
    Baby I Love You Too Much - again an amazing ballad

the two ballads are nice but if added to You Turn Me Around it might make too many.

then there's some more

on Devil In Me there's also:
    i Can't Go On Living Without You - HDH
    Triflin - Greg Wright that did He's My Man, You were the one

on Thelma's duet album Two To One:
    Chicago Send Her Home - Ivey Woodford
    I'm Not Strong Enough to Love You Again - Ivey Woodford

on 78's Ready To Roll
    Love is Comin' On - greg wright
    midnight mona - greg wright
    strange - greg wright

Thelma's YOU'VE BEEN DOING WRONG FOR SO LONG was actually nominated for a Grammy.

Any of the songs from the Dynamic Superiors Give & Take album, such as Happy Song, Give It All Up, You're What I Need, All You Can Do With Love, and Here Comes That Feeling Again. There were produced by the Hollands in 1977.

seems like Ivey and Woodford, though brought to motown to work with The Supremes, at least worked with 1 other act, Thelma.

and Wikipedia says they produced some things on A Song For You for the Temps, but i can't find out what song[[s) that might be

they also did There's a song in my heart on the Commodores' Machine Gun album

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    seems like Ivey and Woodford, though brought to motown to work with The Supremes, at least worked with 1 other act, Thelma.

and Wikipedia says they produced some things on A Song For You for the Temps, but i can't find out what song[[s) that might be

I think they have some songs on the Tempts' HOUSE PARTY album.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post

I'm pretty sure Ivey & Woodford were with Motown before they worked with The Supremes. They had also produced two albums on Motown for a white soul singer named Reuben Howell, whom they likely brought to the label, released in 1973 and '74, respectively. Going by the liner notes on The Final Sessions, The Supremes were probably the first in-house act they produced for.

One of the songs they did for The Temptations on their House Party album was another version of the same one they did for The Supremes - "You Can't Stop A Man In Love," which also appears on the first Reuben Howell album. Howell's second album, Rings, has an early version of "You Turn Me Around," also.

I recall on one of Midnight Johnny's [[RIP) shows back in 2011, when he had Andy Skurow on to discuss The Final Sessions box, Andy talked about his interviews with, I believe, Terry Woodford. Apparently Ivey & Woodford had been in talks to start a "Motown South" sub-label at the time, which never came to fruition. I recall another anecdote in that interview - when Ivey & Woodford expressed interest in working with the Supremes, Motown apparently refused to cover their costs to go see their show and make their introductions.

I do wonder if working with The Supremes served as a kind of trial run for them, before they put together their own girl group, Hot.
    Last edited by telekin; 03-13-2023 at 07:36 PM. Reason: additional context

Quote Originally Posted by telekin View Post
    I'm pretty sure Ivey & Woodford were with Motown before they worked with The Supremes. They had also produced two albums on Motown for a white soul singer named Reuben Howell, whom they likely brought to the label, released in 1973 and '74, respectively. Going by the liner notes on The Final Sessions, The Supremes were probably the first in-house act they produced for.

One of the songs they did for The Temptations on their House Party album was another version of the same one they did for The Supremes - "You Can't Stop A Man In Love," which also appears on the first Reuben Howell album. Howell's second album, Rings, has an early version of "You Turn Me Around," also.

I recall on one of Midnight Johnny's [[RIP) shows back in 2011, when he had Andy Skurow on to discuss The Final Sessions box, Andy talked about his interviews with, I believe, Terry Woodford. Apparently Ivey & Woodford had been in talks to start a "Motown South" sub-label at the time, which never came to fruition. I recall another anecdote in that interview - when Ivey & Woodford expressed interest in working with the Supremes, Motown apparently refused to cover their costs to go see their show and make their introductions.

I do wonder if working with The Supremes served as a kind of trial run for them, before they put together their own girl group, Hot.
    great insights! for some reason i thought they were brought to Motown to work with the sups. haha but that could just be my supremes-centric view of things lol.

i'm not shocked by the "we're not paying for you to meet the sups or go see them" I don't necessarily read that as being malicious towards the group but rather the company was anticipating the group disbanding, now that L and J had left. Berry and all assumed the group was over and wasn't going to invest in them. but then fans kept them going and their shows were well received.

Quote Originally Posted by blkfrost View Post
    Any of the songs from the Dynamic Superiors Give & Take album, such as Happy Song, Give It All Up, You're What I Need, All You Can Do With Love, and Here Comes That Feeling Again. There were produced by the Hollands in 1977.
    I agree. I love that album, and particularly those songs, as well.