[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Tcb gowns

Tcb gowns

Not that I am big gowns expert but someone told me the TCB gowns were actually green, gold and pink. Any truth to this ?

It's true. If you're interested, I kindly recommend checking out Mary's book, "Supreme Glamour". You'll see some photos of these gowns, showing the light pink stripes.

there are three different greens on the gowns - a dark green, a kelly green and then a lime green. the white is actually more of a cream color and there are some super pale pink beads in it. then there are larger crystal rose montees set in the swirls. these are just larger clear sequins to add a big pop/flash against the colored sequin base

the cream and pink combine to create an opal effect.

in a similar manner, the red gowns worn on Hollywood Palace for YKMHO and on R&H Today are not just red but also have purple and orange sequins/beading. those are the adjacent colors on the color wheel so it helps to amplify the effect. gives more dimension to the gowns

Thnks Carlo and Sup_fan
    I am not really big on the gowns and I hope no one beats me up for that. I do have Supreme Glamour but I guess I have it more because it was Mary's book. I will definitely have to check this out. Everywhere I have seen and known has been Green, white and gold.
    In fact just watched it on tape [[TCB) and that is where a friend mentioned the gowns where pink, grren and gold and they look white, gold and green.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Thnks Carlo and Sup_fan
    I am not really big on the gowns and I hope no one beats me up for that. I do have Supreme Glamour but I guess I have it more because it was Mary's book. I will definitely have to check this out. Everywhere I have seen and known has been Green, white and gold.
    In fact just watched it on tape [[TCB) and that is where a friend mentioned the gowns where pink, grren and gold and they look white, gold and green.
    In a 1972 interview Jean Terrell described them as green, pink and lime. She squeezed into that gown enough to know. She also said they couldn't do an entire show in them, even though they did on one or two occasions

of course we all have different perceptions. but when i think pink, i think of the gowns from Dean Martin with the big bow on the front. or the feather chevron gowns from GIT. or those horrid heavy-looking one-shoulder pant/dress outfits from MSC on Soul Train.

some people have described both the TCB and the queen mother pearl gowns as pink. i did see the gown exhibit so saw them a little in person. clearly though i never wore any or lived with them lol

the pearl effect of the white and pink can lead to an iridescent look. that "opal" look or effect. a good designer and costumer would certainly have understood the effect of huge spot lights on sequins and so could layer in some pinks into the white to provide that simmering, iridescence.