[REMOVE ADS]

Why Diana did not attend: an interesting perspective

To continue with the comment by spreadinglove last month as to why she didn’t attend, and today’s chat about Diana being ill [[Diana to perform……)
    I just spoke with my friend who toils in the recording industry. He mentioned that The VARIETY article from February 3 might have been a contributing factor for the omission of The Supremes segment in the YouTube recap of The Lifetime Achievement Award. He thinks the article implies, very strongly, that Mary’s solo ANTHOLOGY is a main reason why the Supremes are being honored, which is odd considering the ANTHOLOGY was released over a year ago. The article actually states twice, “Unreleased solo music from Wilson has raised interest in her career… Leading up to the trio getting an honor from the Recording Academy”. I never picked up on it that way.

Jay Schwartz [[humbly described in the article as “a legend in the publicity business since the late 1970s”) also states, near the end, “ Mary and I wanted the Lifetime Achievement Award for the Supremes and we’re getting that next week”, which he seems to equate with getting Mary on “Dancing With The Stars”. My friend said the awards committees who give out these special merit industry awards feel that it’s an honor and a rare privilege to have one bestowed upon an artist, and to mention/equate it in the same context as appearing on dancing with the stars, might have pissed them off a little bit. I do know that they are in the subject, they are by far the biggest name in the category, they are not in the video, and I do not believe it was oversight. I believe they did it on purpose because otherwise, they would’ve amended it, or taken it down by now. ~
    In addition to plugging the ANTHOLOGY, and the “more recently recorded” WHY CAN’T WE ALL GET ALONG and “the-soon-to-drop” SOUL DEFENDER, it’s obvious that much of this article is, a non-too subtle advertisement for Mary Wilson product, from which both Turquessa & Mr. Schwartz will financially benefit.

Maybe the VARIETY article isn’t the only reason that The Supreme segment was omitted [[even though they are mentioned in the title), I do believe the Grammy Award committee staff may feel that their intentions to honor the Supremes were definitely being manipulated by Mr. Schwartz, for obvious commercial purposes.

Maybe - and what kind of sales do you get - a couple thousand total? Five thousand if you are lucky - I bought a digital copy.

Frankly, to me, this article rings truer than Diana being ill and booking 2 concerts shortly thereafter.

She probably believed it was more game playing and said “next” - I’ve been down this road before

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Maybe - and what kind of sales do you get - a couple thousand total? Five thousand if you are lucky - I bought a digital copy.

Frankly, to me, this article rings truer than Diana being ill and booking 2 concerts shortly thereafter.

She probably believed it was more game playing and said “next” - I’ve been down this road before
    I think until the Grammys explain why they ignored the Supremes for so many years that the piece of wood they handed out does not mean a thing at this point and is kind of a bit of slap to me. I am happy for Lisa and Turquessa and perhaps Barbara's kids should have been included as well but dang do it while these entertainers are still with us.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Exactly. Also if those were reasons it does rather suggest a backlash against Diana....Perish the thought.
    Whatever the reason, i just wish Diana could have put her big girls knickers on and had one of her children attend. It was the right thing to do.

Article:

The Supremes Get Grammy Lifetime Achievement Honor as the Late Mary Wilson’s Friends and Family Celebrate

I hadn't read this Variety spread until now. Very informative input from Jay D. Schwartz.
    Diana could use someone like that in her life. Someone who could articulate something a little more substantial than the mundane response quoted here as being from her.

What comes through is that Schwartz really liked Mary Wilson ... good for him to keep pushing and also to stay out of the acceptance ceremony.

added:
    if the article favors Mary Wilson , I'd suggest that's the payoff when your camp is accommodating.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-12-2023 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Exactly. Also if those were reasons it does rather suggest a backlash against Diana....Perish the thought.
    Whatever the reason, i just wish Diana could have put her big girls knickers on and had one of her children attend. It was the right thing to do.
    The thing is I believe she [[perhaps with family input at times), does make these choices - they just don’t line up with what some of the hardcore fans want

My first Supremes disappointment was when the M25 Reunion ended 10 seconds after it began; I went “what?”

Most of the other recipients had at least one member still alive and showing up for the Lifetime Achievement award. In the Supremes case, both Mary and Florence had passed on. Perhaps there wasn't too much interest when no member is there. Diana showed up for her solo award, which honestly should have happened after the Supremes received theirs because it makes more sense chronologically. Still, Diana should have sent someone to accept this accolade. However, did notice that she wasn't there for Berry Gordy and Smokey Robinson for their award the next day. She may have been ill, but she has also toured somewhat recently. Sending one of her children or a representative would have made some sense in that case. Still, when someone tells you who they are-believe them. She did put out a decent press release that said that she had wonderful memories working with 2 talented people before it became something about a Motown symphony. As far as what Mary's publicist says, well he is in a business to make a profit. He did espouse some genuine affection towards Mary but he was mainly doing his interview from a business perspective. Personally, I don't know him but have heard comments about him.

She didn't want to be there, plain and simple. Unless she comes out and publicly states to my satisfaction any other reason for her absence, I'll forever chalk her absence up to plain old "didn't wanna be there".

That being said, you know what else is sad? That there wasn't some kind of celebration for the Supremes outside of the ceremony. Where are the fans of the group in the entertainment industry? Where is Motown? Why wasn't there a corresponding tribute concert somewhere?

Perhaps- and I know it's a long stretch- but maybe Diana would've been more likely to show up if there was something bigger than what looked like a sparsely populated afterthought award presentation. There should have been a week or weekend long celebration of the Supremes. At this point it seems like the only people who really care about the Supremes- I mean REALLY care- are us hardcore fans in this forum, and I'm guessing most of us are in no position to plan the kind of festivities I'm thinking of.

If Mary were around maybe there would have been something more. The fact that Diana is, and even Berry, but all we got was one little firecracker on the 4th of July...I mean if they don't give a crap, why should we?

Even during Black History Month, school children are not taught about the legacy of The Supremes in American Pop Music History- although global legacy too. Such a shame that their milestones are not being remembered.

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    Even during Black History Month, school children are not taught about the legacy of The Supremes in American Pop Music History- although global legacy too. Such a shame that their milestones are not being remembered.
    Mary always did what she could to keep the Supremes flame burning. Her various tv appearances and interviews were a constant reminder of the groups political and social significance. Sadly with her demise there is no one left to carry the torch.

Mary always did what she could to keep the Supremes flame burning. Her various tv appearances and interviews were a constant reminder of the groups political and social significance. Sadly with her demise there is no one left to carry the torch.
    Mary lived and breathed The Supremes. She needed The Supremes to make money and she never tired of being a Supreme. She stayed after shows until the very last fan got an autograph or a photo. I really miss Mary. Diana was with the Supremes for 10 years and has been solo for over 50 but she still includes 5 or 6 Supremes songs in her show. Jean had some great hits but isnt interested in The Supremes or showbiz and Cindy is in her own little workld and i pray shes content and not in pain. Cindy Birdsong IMO is the nicest Supreme. I love all 8 Supremes. I say 8 as I know very little about Barbara Martin and I know she was a Supreme but never think of her as one and Im not being unkind about that, but I hope Barbara had a real nice life.

There is: Diana. Sadly she chooses not to.

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    and what about the African American Museum at the Smithsonian? how big of a presence does motown have?

Mary did a great job tying in historical relevance to the Supremes' history for the gown tour. reinforcing the key milestones and how the supremes were right there side by side with the movement. sure - not taking a militant stance but breakdown barriers their own way

i could understand the AAM @ Smithsonian not having space to do her ENTIRE display but surely a smaller version with a couple of gowns would be appropriate

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    and what about the African American Museum at the Smithsonian? how big of a presence does motown have?

Mary did a great job tying in historical relevance to the Supremes' history for the gown tour. reinforcing the key milestones and how the supremes were right there side by side with the movement. sure - not taking a militant stance but breakdown barriers their own way

i could understand the AAM @ Smithsonian not having space to do her ENTIRE display but surely a smaller version with a couple of gowns would be appropriate
    One of Diana's outfits from LADY SINGS THE BLUES is on display, the outfit she wore during the radio broadcast scene.

I did a search for Supremes related material but nothing came up. If this is true, I really find it hard to believe. How can you not have SOMETHING from the Supremes?

That said, the museum is still relatively new. They probably have loads that they haven't yet put on display.

If Mary was alive, something BIG would have happen, she would have made sure of that.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    If Mary was alive, something BIG would have happen, she would have made sure of that.
    Thats because she cared.

Many times in our lifetimes, we regret the experiences we have created for others by our personal choices. Just for the empowerment of young children, I believe the Grammy Lifetime Award to The Supremes presentation was lacking in Mary Wilson's optimistic "Dare to Dream" ethos.