[REMOVE ADS]

Diana's childhood home before brewster projects

This is the house where Diana spent her early childhood. With all eight people living in this space, there were only two bedrooms and one bathroom.
    Can you imagine the fights over getting into the bathroom with six kids in the house? I wonder if her family lived on the second floor. My family was in a house like this till I was 11 years old. But we were only four kids and crowded in a two bedroom apartment We spent a lot of time on the second floor porch. It probably was difficult and crowded, but I didn't remember it that way at the time. I remember it as happy and normal. I wonder how Diana remembers her early years

Read More: Inside the House That Diana Ross Grew Up In: Detroit, Michigan

https://thegame730am.com/ixp/691/p/i...hildhood-home/

Im surev it was a house full of love and values. Like you Milven I grew up in a apartment in Panorama City, California and there was me my sister and my brother and my Mom and my grandparents and one bathroom didnt bother us. My Papa was from Italy and my Mimi was from Mexico so the food was amazing and plentiful. My Mom and my Papa both worked and Mimi stayed home with us. It was a house full of love and respect and we didnt have much money but the apartmet had a small pool which was a real bonus for all the kids in the complex. Im real glad I had that experience.

Thanks for sharing, Milven. Nice to see this photo and to read yours and Roberta's respective memories. It's funny because I was just having a discussion tonight about this same subject with my in-laws, about how many of our families came from simpler beginnings, and had to make due. Many didn't have a lot of money, but were still content and happy. For instance, they made due with having three kids share one bed, or being happy about something we now take for granted, like having indoor plumbing throughout the home. We now deal with so many more unnecessary pressures, particularly in regards to material things.

Ten years ago, I drove through some parts of the old Detroit neighbourhoods and saw Diana's, Mary's and Flo's homes on Buena Vista, as well as the Gordy mansion. It was an emotional experience to see so many abandoned and delapitated homes scattered throughout these old neighbourhoods. I doubt this is the same case now [hopefully], since Detroit has being going through a major upheaval with improvements being made to communities and infrastructure.

Theres a great show on HGTV about Detroit. A couple who are engaged in real life renovate all of these homes and change streets in Detroit. Its one of my favorite shows and Keith and Evan are adorable as is Shea the lady who sell the houses after Keith and Evan have renovated them. Evan is a great contractor and Keith is a first class interior designer. https://watch.hgtv.com/show/bargain-block-hgtv-atve-us

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Theres a great show on HGTV about Detroit. A couple who are engaged in real life renovate all of these homes and change streets in Detroit. Its one of my favorite shows and Keith and Evan are adorable as is Shea the lady who sell the houses after Keith and Evan have renovated them. Evan is a great contractor and Keith is a first class interior designer. https://watch.hgtv.com/show/bargain-block-hgtv-atve-us
    Love that show, too, Roberta. I hope it comes back for another season! Did you know that Evan has a Ph.D. in physics? Shea is a doll. A fun show, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Love that show, too, Roberta. I hope it comes back for another season! Did you know that Evan has a Ph.D. in physics? Shea is a doll. A fun show, indeed.
    Its coming back this summer Lakeside. Cant wait for season 3.

Fondly,

Roberta

I think this is her home on Belmont where Smokey lived down the block as well. I believe the Ross's were upstairs and if memory serves me right the owner of that home is still trying to sell that home. What I have always thought would be interesting is if someone knew who lived next door to them at the time. However, they soon moved to the Brewster projects from there.

Yes, this is a great show, Roberta I remember we were discussing it last year, in another thread. I think we were discussing it in the thread about the fan who had purchased and hoped to restore Flo's former home. I ended up watching the first two seasons, after you had mentioned it. Love it! I am also looking forward to watching the new season.
    Last edited by carlo; 03-12-2023 at 11:00 AM.

Its coming back this summer Lakeside. Cant wait for season 3.

Fondly,

Roberta
    Yipee! That's great news, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I wonder how Diana remembers her early years
    While Diana's biography gets a lot of criticism- and rightfully so- for hardcore fans, I think the part of her book about her childhood are worth the price of the book itself. It's the one section I feel where she was the most forthcoming, although I found the passage about her mother hiding from her father in the closet to be a bit disingenuous. She said she wasn't sure if it was a memory or a dream, but I think if she really thought she was dreaming, she wouldn't have included it knowing how it might make her father look.