[REMOVE ADS]

Martha Reeves - A Message From Her Manager

Saw this posted elsewhere:

Chris Roe, Martha Reeves manager here. This is the heads up that the fundraising campaign to raise the necessary funds for Martha’s star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in Los Angeles has begun!

As Martha’s manager, I have taken over this effort, but I need your help! Of course, at the end of the day it’s all about money! We will be looking to accrue the sum required by The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce and other associated expenses that we will need to fulfill this effort. [[approx. $80,000). Just the cost of the actual star [[no, it is not given free) is now $55,000.00. Then there’s the flights into LA, hotel, reception afterwards and all those expenses which comes to about $25,000.00.

No amount is too small [[One less Starbucks will not hurt anyone). I’m sure you’ll agree that this honor that will be bestowed is very well deserved and long overdue. We need to raise this money as quickly as possible. If we do not make a sizeable indentation to our goal, it is likely that Martha’s Hollywood Star selection will be withdrawn, and we will have to start the nomination process all over again [[which could take several years). Since she was nominated and chosen in 2021, as part of the Class of 2022, we have very little time. There is a time limit to receive your star after being selected. We wish to hold the ceremony in the last half of 2023 or early 2024. 2023 marks the 60th anniversary of her first album with Motown, Come Get These Memories. So this year would be ideal. However, the moment we select and confirm the date we must pay for the star at that time. Therefore, we must move fast.

Hi Chris... As the person who nominated and sponsored the successful campaign for the Funk Brothers Walk Of Fame recognition and advised on another... best of luck in your worthy efforts on behalf of Martha Reeves [[Vandellas too?)... Obviously, since 2013, the cost of the process has more than doubled according to your post. Ours cost $25,000 [[Andy Garcia told me that his Star in the 90's only cost $5,000)... It took me nearly the entire 5 years to come up with the funding and was "saved" at the last minute before having to consider using personal funds if I wanted the ceremony to continue... Assuming you have already gotten the acceptance of your nomination, one word of warning... The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, very nice folks, however, discourage public solicitation for funding, and in fact, I received 3 warnings, one relating to public solicitation of having the plug pulled by the Chamber on the entire event. We had to go more underground and through personal contacts, and thankfully, a few individuals came through, at the time unbeknownst to me, with the funding and we got it in just under the deadline... A lot of what we were doing was quite innocent, but apparently against the Chambers rules...Otherwise, Ana and Leron at the Chamber were great. One more warning...beware of those who would try to come along and hijack your efforts that happened to me, however, Ana knew what I had done and kicked the others to the curb... For some reason, there are those who want to be associated with the process... One person I did allow to organize with the after event celebration stiffed the musicians he hired and being a former musician myself, I felt bad and ended up paying them myself... This same guy also apparently stiffed the luxury bus he offered to provide to transport out of town guests to the after event... There was a time I would have gladly handed the project off to someone else, however, Ana convinced me that since I [[and a lady named Jeanne) had initiated the entire nomination, she urged me to stick with it and I did... A lot of work leading up to the actual ceremony and a lot of loose ends to tie up... The entire month before the ceremony, it was like I was working two fulltime jobs 24/7, but in the end, I'm sure you'll find your efforts satisfying and well worth it... Best of luck...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 03-11-2023 at 04:54 PM.

Mr Roe I think you should try and contact Mr Berry Gordy. Mr Gordy loves Martha Reeves and hes made million from her enormous talent. The First Lady Of Motown Dr Martha Reeves deserves this star and while im real happy to donate a little money I think going direct to Mr Gordy may get you all of the money you need for the star and the travel and the afterparty which I hope fans can attend ciase I would love to be there,

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta Fonseca.

If Diana or Stevie were aware of this, they may quietly assist as well

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    If Diana or Stevie were aware of this, they may quietly assist as well
    Stevie, yes. Diane, no. She would probably shove Martha in front of a train to prevent this. ALSO her stank ass didn't show up when The Supremes got the star. She only cares about her selfish self. FEH!!!

Unfortunately, most of the Motown alum, including Mr Gordy are reluctant to put up money for these events, knowing that once they give for one, they'll be solicited for others... We almost had the plug pulled on our event because when someone in an interview merely asked Bob Babbitt if Mr Gordy had agreed to contribute to our efforts and Bob responded that to the best of his knowledge Mr Gordy had not made any contribution, I received a terse note from the Chamber asking what this was all about, and we need to refrain from putting things like this out in public... Bob was merely answering a question... Stevie did step up as a speaker for the event after Chaka Khan pulled out due to another engagement, but in the end, it was others who stepped up with the needed funding at the 11th hour...

Roberta... All of the Star ceremonies are open to the public with a certain number of guests invited into the VIP section... As for the other events and parties surrounding the ceremony, those tend to be by invitation of the sponsors...

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    Roberta... All of the Star ceremonies are open to the public with a certain number of guests invited into the VIP section... As for the other events and parties surrounding the ceremony, those tend to be by invitation of the sponsors...
    Thank you StuBass1.

Fondly,

Roberta