[REMOVE ADS]

Soul Legend Bobby Caldwell Dies at 71

One of the finest to ever do the thing. Rest in power:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...way-sleep.html

Just saw that, Sans!
    Loved that song......RIP

Sad news. Back in the day of his biggest hit, I did not realize that he was white. I now know that was done to his audience on purpose. He recorded for TK, which was basically an R&B label at the time. The label wanted to conceal the fact that Bobby was white, so they kept his face off the album cover. When he toured with Natalie Cole to support the album, most of the audience was black and many were surprised that Bobby was white. Kind of the reverse of what Berry Gordy did in the early days of Motown. He put cartoons and other things on his artists covers to conceal that his artists were black. It was a different time. Talent is talent and Bobby had plenty of it.

Rest in peace

Truly Sad, Sad News. RIP Bobby Caldwell.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Sad news. Back in the day of his biggest hit, I did not realize that he was white. I now know that was done to his audience on purpose. He recorded for TK, which was basically an R&B label at the time. The label wanted to conceal the fact that Bobby was white, so they kept his face off the album cover. When he toured with Natalie Cole to support the album, most of the audience was black and many were surprised that Bobby was white. Kind of the reverse of what Berry Gordy did in the early days of Motown. He put cartoons and other things on his artists covers to conceal that his artists were black. It was a different time. Talent is talent and Bobby had plenty of it.

Rest in peace
    Amen. You know, it never even dawned on me that the cover art choice for his debut might have been a calculated one, and it's a favorite of mine. And not only does it harken back to those old Motown art decisions "in reverse," but it's precisely the same set of circumstances for the cover art of Teena Marie's debut Gordy album Wild and Peaceful the very next year. Food for thought, that.

Black social media is mourning Mr. Caldwell especially deeply today; my timeline is flooded with tributes. It's a serious loss of somebody with a whole lot of genuine soul.

It was nice to seem him remembered and honored tonight on a major network news show, ABC's WORLD NEWS TONIGHT. They even mentioned songs he wrote for other artists

RIP Bobby C. "Coming Down From Love" and "Open Your Eyes" also were two of my faves.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; 03-16-2023 at 06:04 AM.