[REMOVE ADS]

Brenda Holloway gets some press today....

Nothing earth shattering here, but nice to see Brenda get a little press these days, and the subject my favorite song by her.
    Darin

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...085307485.html

One time I was asking Mary Wells about Brenda doing "When I'm Gone" "Operator" and I'll Be Available" and Mary said "Oh, she is a GREAT artist." She really meant it too.

Thanks for sharing. I LOVE Brenda Holloway! So glad to see her getting a little press. My main takeaway from Brenda's time at Motown was she didn't do enough dance tracks that Motown really became famous for.

A great record from Brenda, sadly never issued until 2001 Thanks to Chris Jenner

If you evaluated Motown artists in terms of the amount of material they recorded and the hit-making potential of those recordings, but then compared it to the actual chart success they had, I think Brenda would be at the top of that list. Meaning she should have been SOOOOO much bigger in the Motown story.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    If you evaluated Motown artists in terms of the amount of material they recorded and the hit-making potential of those recordings, but then compared it to the actual chart success they had, I think Brenda would be at the top of that list. Meaning she should have been SOOOOO much bigger in the Motown story.
    I agree very much david!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Jarvis View Post
    A great record from Brenda, sadly never issued until 2001 Thanks to Chris Jenner

Still hoping that someone will download the alternate version where it becomes a duet at the fadeout with an unnamed male singing "I'm gonna tell you my story".

OK. When I heard THIS one, I knew something was up at Motown. Was this even submitted to QC? If it had been, there is no Godly way on earth that this would have been voted down. I understand that there had been some reasoning that Brenda's first hit was a ballad and that played a part in "Hurt A Little Everyday" getting released, but, wow- nobody thought of "You're Walking Out With My Heart" as having a chance of finally breaking Brenda out from her mid-level chart rut? I know it's really not good to speculate on how these decisions were made, especially when looking back in hindsight from a fan's perspective. And I have a feeling there is someone who was at Motown back in those days who would set me straight on the realities of what records got released and such- but it's just a head scratcher when you hear things like this that got lost amongst the bigger fish in Motown's pond.

Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 03-09-2023 at 11:33 PM.

Yes, it's unfortunate that Brenda Holloway didn't have more success during her time at Motown. And she had a lot of great songs that were not released until decades later. This is one my of my favorites by her.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Yes, it's unfortunate that Brenda Holloway didn't have more success during her time at Motown. And she had a lot of great songs that were not released until decades later. This is one my of my favorites by her.

This IS an excellent one! A lot of Brenda's unreleased LA recordings actually nade me rethink my opinion of the LA Motown Sound. Brenda had some mighty solid LA recordings that could have carved out a lucrative niche for her. It seems Motown kept releasing the most tame and unremarkable things they could find amongst her California work. The LA crew really upped their game on things like this and "Who You Gonna Run To," "How Can I," "Crying Time" and "Can't Hold The Feeling Back."