[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Sorry Bayou, but that's definitely Flo and Mary on "I'm In Love Again". I think you might be mixing it up with something else. There are no male voices on the song.

I think it's possible that "Run" is the Andantes, but "Always" is Flo, Mary and Lamont Dozier.
    RanRan, thank you for correcting me, I listened to I'm In Love Again for the first time in years and yes that is Mary and Flo, with what sounds like Eddie Holland.

We had this discussion years ago, like in the 80s, in a fan club newsletter. Eddie Holland had a soaring tenor voice with at least a 3 octave range and filled in the backgrounds on many artists. On Mary Wells he is clear on He Holds His Own. He can be heard on Always In My Heart as well, and I'm not certain Mary and Flo are on that. For Run, Run, Run, it was suggested by one of the early CD compilers that Mary and Flo are not on that track that the demo backing vocal laid down by HDH was kept as it was. Definitely not the Supremes on Any Girl In Love, but none of us knew the difference back then.

It gets hard to tell. Engineers at Motown were geniuses on the mixing board. I just found out that Gladys Knight and the Pips are backing Marvin Gaye on his hit "You." Who knew.

Anyway Ran, thanks for the correction

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    RanRan, thank you for correcting me, I listened to I'm In Love Again for the first time in years and yes that is Mary and Flo, with what sounds like Eddie Holland.

We had this discussion years ago, like in the 80s, in a fan club newsletter. Eddie Holland had a soaring tenor voice with at least a 3 octave range and filled in the backgrounds on many artists. On Mary Wells he is clear on He Holds His Own. He can be heard on Always In My Heart as well, and I'm not certain Mary and Flo are on that. For Run, Run, Run, it was suggested by one of the early CD compilers that Mary and Flo are not on that track that the demo backing vocal laid down by HDH was kept as it was. Definitely not the Supremes on Any Girl In Love, but none of us knew the difference back then.

It gets hard to tell. Engineers at Motown were geniuses on the mixing board. I just found out that Gladys Knight and the Pips are backing Marvin Gaye on his hit "You." Who knew.

Anyway Ran, thanks for the correction
    Always glad to help Bayou.

Eddie had a tremendous voice. It does not surprise me to know he may have been an occasional additional voice with the group. I suspect he's on "Standing At the Crossroads". When Diana sings the "don't know which way, don't know which way to go...", those ahs are clearly more than Flo and Mary, and they don't sound like any of the Andantes, so I think it's Eddie with Flo and Mary, maybe even Lamont with them too.

Regarding "Always In My Heart", according to the Sing HDH EE booklet, Lamont says it's him with Flo and Mary.

Regarding "Run", so I just gave it another listen, see what I can hear. The guys are definitely present. In fact they seem to be doing everything- perhaps alone- except the "oohs". Take a listen to those "oohs" during the break. I seem to hear Diana and Florence. But during all the other parts, it does sound like just a bunch of guys. I don't hear the Andantes. But those oohs sound like Diana and Flo. Anybody else hear it?

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    The first thing that came to my mind when I read the question, was not a recording, but a performance by the group. They sang the STAR SPANGLED BANNER in perfect harmony. They expected to sing it with accompaniment but had to sing it acapella because their manager, Pedro had not prepared an arrangement. Even with the pressure of not knowing they would have to sing it acapella, they killed it. It was refreshing to see them perform as a group in harmony. I wish more of their recordings were a group in harmony.

Wow! really nice. That's what I like about this forum, some of you post great stuff I didn't know/haven't seen. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by mindful1 View Post
    Wow! really nice. That's what I like about this forum, some of you post great stuff I didn't know/haven't seen. Thank you
    notice Scherrie looking to the right and glaring just before they begin singing. it wasn't supposed to be unaccompanied lol i believe that glare was intended for Pedro lol

Good ear Ran, but I only hear Diana on the oohs. I just don't hear Mary and Flo at all on this song. Doubt they would have rushed Flo into the studio for just an oooh. The song had been recording many months earlier than its release and then it was rushed out for whatever reason to capitalize on the success of Lovelight. I like the song but never thought it was a single. And yes it could be Lamont on Always In My Heart, it's hard to tell. Usually Eddie did the background arrangements and the vocal demos. If you listen to Mary Wells' version of He Holds His Own you can easily pick him out during the chorus. Eddie always hit his "s" consonant hard.